• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers at Steelers

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A dominant win. The Niners were up 20-0 in the 2nd quarter. The Steelers got a TD drive right at the end of the first half (where our pass defense suddenly got too soft) and threatened to make it a game, but the Niners got the ball first in the 3rd quarter and promptly scored on a 65yd TD run by CMC, effectively putting the game out of reach. Niners dominated TOP in this one, almost doubling the Steeler’s time of possession. Aside from the one drive, the defense was dominant and the offense was efficient until the 3rd quarter when we got too pass happy. STill for a game where a lot of analysts thought we'd lose, the Niners came out and ran over the STeelers in short order.
--I remember Peterson saying that he saw a tell in the Niner offense and that he'd get a pick in the game. Well, he didn't get a pick, instead he gave up 2 TDs and was generally torched by Aiyuk.

Purdy was 19 of 29 for 220yds and 2 TDs. A 111.3 QB rating, a 91.3QBR. He looked pretty much like he did last year. That’s a very good sign for us.
--he continued to show good mobility in and out of the pocket, avoiding a few sacks in this one with well-timed scrambles.
--his best throw was probably the 19yd TD to BA where Aiyuk was tightly covered by Peterson, but Purdy put the ball on BA’s chest right over Peterson’s shoulder. Great TD throw to a WR that wasn’t open.
--he had 2 fumbles in this game, both caused by Watt sacks. He recovered one and lost the other.

CMC had 151 yds rushing with more than 100 coming after contact. He caught 3 balls for 17 yds too. We overused him in this game. 25-30 touches is a lot for him.
--That 65yd run was a thing of beauty. CMC hits the hole off LT, spins out of a defender's grasp and is basically gone for 25yds, with BA and Ray Ray blocking downfield
--CMC also had a fumble, but he recovered the ball. Very uncharacteristic of him
--coaches will have to start pulling him out of some of these games and giving Mitchell and Mason more time.
--he looked just as good as he did last year. Very explosive.

Aiyuk and CMC took turns being the best player on the field. BA Caught 8 balls for 129yds and 2 TDs.
--On CMC’s 65yd TD run, BA and RayRay were out front with great blocks that opened the way to the EZ. BA literally pancaked his man and Ray Ray had to run from all the way from the other side of the field to get in front of CMC to run interference. Great hustle.
--Deebo had 5 catches for 55yds including a great looking 22 yarder. 63 total yards for him.

Kittle struggled I thought. Just 3 catches for 19yds, but he missed a few blocks on the edge that really cost us more in the running game. I know he’s still fighting through a groin injury though, so we’ll see if he rebounds next week, since he’s usually a terror against LA.

The Oline struggled in pass blocking at times—giving up 3 sacks to Watt. But for the most part, they held up just fine.
--McKivitz gave up 2 sacks to Watt on back to back plays, one causing a fumble
--Burford had 3 penalties in this game. A false start, a hold and a facemask. Crazy.
--Was I the only one holding his breath when TW went down for a play?

The D hounded picket and had some good coverage in this one. The Steelers had 2 top WRs in Johnson and Pickens, but they barely combined for 100yds between the two of them. And most of those yards came on the Steelers lone TD drive at the end of the first half.
--the D was really good in this one, racking up 5 sacks, forcing 2 INTs and holding the Steelers to 239yds of total offense and 3.9yds per play.
--they only had 10 rushing attempts
--it was the worst loss the Steelers have had at home under Tomlin and it was largely b/c of the defense.

Jackson showed up more in this game than any last year. He got 3 sacks and showed a lot of burst off the edge.
--Hyder and Hargrave also got a sack each
--The middle of the Dline was really doing well. Hargrave and AA made some plays that didn’t show up on the stat sheet, collapsing the pocket and forcing Pickett into the waiting arms of the DEs.
--Ferrell had a pretty decent game as a fill in in this one. He got a TFL early on.
--Bosa was often double teamed, and he wasn’t really a factor. It looked like the team could have won this game without him playing at all. Weird.

Warner and Greenlaw were very good in this one. Combined for 14 tackles, 2 TFL, and the Steelers rushed for only 41yds.
--Pickett’s bad day could’ve been much worse, as Warner dropped an INT that hit him right in the hands.

The CBs really only had a couple of bad drives, but they looked lost in those drives. It looked like the Steeler plan was to throw it to Pickens a lot regardless of whether he was open or not. Well C.Ward was up to the challenge and held Pickens to 5 catches for only 36yds.
--C.Ward and Hufanga each had an INT, and both led to points.
--On the Steelers’ TD drive, Demo had 2 costly penalties and Ambry Thomas gave up 4 catches
--After Thomas got checked out for a concussion (he cleared), Oliver came in for him.
--Considering the way the Steelers threw the ball with ease at Thomas, I think we can expect more teams to go after Thomas and the nickel

Moody made all his FGs and PATs. Wishnowsky dropped punt after punt inside the Steeler 10 yard line. Nice work by the STs. Womack was a beast in ST coverage.

One thing to keep an eye on is how many penalties we had. 11 flags for 85yds. That is the kind of problem that can bite you in the ass.
--As above, the coaches overall did great. Wilks’s coordination looked about like Ryans did. Mostly going with 4 rushers and playing coverage behind, though I did notice some blitzing that Ryans usually avoided.
--Kyle had to have found some things on film in this one b/c the Niners had receivers wide open in this one.
--Coaches have to do a better job of getting our starters out of the game earlier. Why was CMC and the gang still in the game well into the 4th quarter when it was out of reach?

Next up is @ the Rams. Without Kupp, it's easy to say that they'll be an easy game, but the LAR went into Seattle and crushed the Seahawks yesterday, so we can't take them lightly. I know Kyle usually has the Rams number, so we have to hope that continues.

Last edited:

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Jikkle , @Jordan23 , I notice that you guys tend to comment on the in-game threads. Care to give us your take on this week's game?

Jordan23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Jikkle , @Jordan23 , I notice that you guys tend to comment on the in-game threads. Care to give us your take on this week's game?
Sadly I didn’t get to see much of the game but I think we need to be able to protect Purdy better or it could be like last year. Overall I think we look like a Super Bowl contender barring no major injuries

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
A dominant win. The Niners were up 20-0 in the 2nd quarter. The Steelers got a TD drive right at the end of the first half (where our pass defense suddenly got too soft) and threatened to make it a game, but the Niners got the ball first in the 3rd quarter and promptly scored on a 65yd TD run by CMC, effectively putting the game out of reach. Niners dominated TOP in this one, almost doubling the Steeler’s time of possession. Aside from the one drive, the defense was dominant and the offense was efficient until the 3rd quarter when we got too pass happy. STill for a game where a lot of analysts thought we'd lose, the Niners came out and ran over the STeelers in short order.
--I remember Peterson saying that he saw a tell in the Niner offense and that he'd get a pick in the game. Well, he didn't get a pick, instead he gave up 2 TDs and was generally torched by Aiyuk.

Purdy was 19 of 29 for 220yds and 2 TDs. A 111.3 QB rating, a 91.3QBR. He looked pretty much like he did last year. That’s a very good sign for us.
--he continued to show good mobility in and out of the pocket, avoiding a few sacks in this one with well-timed scrambles.
--his best throw was probably the 19yd TD to BA where Aiyuk was tightly covered by Peterson, but Purdy put the ball on BA’s chest right over Peterson’s shoulder. Great TD throw to a WR that wasn’t open.
--he had 2 fumbles in this game, both caused by Watt sacks. He recovered one and lost the other.

CMC had 151 yds rushing with more than 100 coming after contact. He caught 3 balls for 17 yds too. We overused him in this game. 25-30 touches is a lot for him.
--That 65yd run was a thing of beauty. CMC hits the hole off LT, spins out of a defender's grasp and is basically gone for 25yds, with BA and Ray Ray blocking downfield
--CMC also had a fumble, but he recovered the ball. Very uncharacteristic of him
--coaches will have to start pulling him out of some of these games and giving Mitchell and Mason more time.
--he looked just as good as he did last year. Very explosive.

Aiyuk and CMC took turns being the best player on the field. BA Caught 8 balls for 129yds and 2 TDs.
--On CMC’s 65yd TD run, BA and RayRay were out front with great blocks that opened the way to the EZ. BA literally pancaked his man and Ray Ray had to run from all the way from the other side of the field to get in front of CMC to run interference. Great hustle.
--Deebo had 5 catches for 55yds including a great looking 22 yarder. 63 total yards for him.

Kittle struggled I thought. Just 3 catches for 19yds, but he missed a few blocks on the edge that really cost us more in the running game. I know he’s still fighting through a groin injury though, so we’ll see if he rebounds next week, since he’s usually a terror against LA.

The Oline struggled in pass blocking at times—giving up 3 sacks to Watt. But for the most part, they held up just fine.
--McKivitz gave up 2 sacks to Watt on back to back plays, one causing a fumble
--Burford had 3 penalties in this game. A false start, a hold and a facemask. Crazy.
--Was I the only one holding his breath when TW went down for a play?

The D hounded picket and had some good coverage in this one. The Steelers had 2 top WRs in Johnson and Pickens, but they barely combined for 100yds between the two of them. And most of those yards came on the Steelers lone TD drive at the end of the first half.
--the D was really good in this one, racking up 5 sacks, forcing 2 INTs and holding the Steelers to 239yds of total offense and 3.9yds per play.
--they only had 10 rushing attempts
--it was the worst loss the Steelers have had at home under Tomlin and it was largely b/c of the defense.

Jackson showed up more in this game than any last year. He got 3 sacks and showed a lot of burst off the edge.
--Hyder and Hargrave also got a sack each
--The middle of the Dline was really doing well. Hargrave and AA made some plays that didn’t show up on the stat sheet, collapsing the pocket and forcing Pickett into the waiting arms of the DEs.
--Ferrell had a pretty decent game as a fill in in this one. He got a TFL early on.
--Bosa was often double teamed, and he wasn’t really a factor. It looked like the team could have won this game without him playing at all. Weird.

Warner and Greenlaw were very good in this one. Combined for 14 tackles, 2 TFL, and the Steelers rushed for only 41yds.
--Pickett’s bad day could’ve been much worse, as Warner dropped an INT that hit him right in the hands.

The CBs really only had a couple of bad drives, but they looked lost in those drives. It looked like the Steeler plan was to throw it to Pickens a lot regardless of whether he was open or not. Well C.Ward was up to the challenge and held Pickens to 5 catches for only 36yds.
--C.Ward and Hufanga each had an INT, and both led to points.
--On the Steelers’ TD drive, Demo had 2 costly penalties and Ambry Thomas gave up 4 catches
--After Thomas got checked out for a concussion (he cleared), Oliver came in for him.
--Considering the way the Steelers threw the ball with ease at Thomas, I think we can expect more teams to go after Thomas and the nickel

Moody made all his FGs and PATs. Wishnowsky dropped punt after punt inside the Steeler 10 yard line. Nice work by the STs. Womack was a beast in ST coverage.

One thing to keep an eye on is how many penalties we had. 11 flags for 85yds. That is the kind of problem that can bite you in the ass.
--As above, the coaches overall did great. Wilks’s coordination looked about like Ryans did. Mostly going with 4 rushers and playing coverage behind, though I did notice some blitzing that Ryans usually avoided.
--Kyle had to have found some things on film in this one b/c the Niners had receivers wide open in this one.
--Coaches have to do a better job of getting our starters out of the game earlier. Why was CMC and the gang still in the game well into the 4th quarter when it was out of reach?

Next up is @ the Rams. Without Kupp, it's easy to say that they'll be an easy game, but the LAR went into Seattle and crushed the Seahawks yesterday, so we can't take them lightly. I know Kyle usually has the Rams number, so we have to hope that continues.
Clearly, Brock Purdy makes the offense happen!!! Of course he has good skill players around him, but compare his timing to JG and there you go. Compare his ability to throw to the sidelines and avoid some sacks, and there you go.

I don't know if it was more good defense or poor Steeler offense? Of course its a combination of both but to me, it leaned more POOR Steeler offense.

ST's was good when looking at place kicking and punting, but the coverages need a little work. Seemed like at least two kick-offs were close to being "to the house"?!

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Sadly I didn’t get to see much of the game but I think we need to be able to protect Purdy better or it could be like last year. Overall I think we look like a Super Bowl contender barring no major injuries
It wasn't much of a game. :-)

Yes, barring major injuries and/or key injuries, this team can contend. However, all teams suffer injuries every season. Expect injuries but lets hope its not major or to key players.

The O-line was ok but clearly didn't keep Purdy out of harm's way. Granted TJ Watt is TJ Watt, and it was major pressure on McKivitz. Our concern is depth at OT and this ties back into the above.

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought the emergence of Jackson and the state of Purdy's elbow were the two biggest things to take away from the game
Nice to open the season with rout of the Pittsburgh Steelers in Three Rivers stadium

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I was pretty pleased they actually had a strong start to the season. Under the Shanahan era the team typically starts sluggish and sloppy but they looked locked in with all phases.

Pretty much the concerns going into the season though are still concerns. The right side of the offensive line is a concern, I'm not loving the kickoff coverage, and I'm still slightly worried how the secondary will fare when they are tested by a better QB but concerns are a part of every team.

It's good that Purdy seemed to pick up right where he left off but I'm still just waiting for that signature win from. It's not to diminish what he's done and it's not his fault guys are wide open but I just need to see that kind of snatch victory from the jaws of defeat kind of win. Again not his fault he hasn't been in a situation where that kind of win is needed but still want to see it from him when it is needed.

Obviously I don't expect that kind of domination against the Rams but really want to see this team continue to play strong into the next week as the team under Shanahan has been prone to being inconsistent and letting down against opponents it should let down against.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was pretty pleased they actually had a strong start to the season. Under the Shanahan era the team typically starts sluggish and sloppy but they looked locked in with all phases.
The bolded is a very good point. Shanny's Niner teams tend to start slow. Both in wins and in the games themselves. Last season the Niners had some great second halves after slow first halves (Washington, both Seattle games). So, it was really a great change to see the team play well right out of the gate. Hopefully that continues this week against LA.
Obviously I don't expect that kind of domination against the Rams but really want to see this team continue to play strong into the next week as the team under Shanahan has been prone to being inconsistent and letting down against opponents it should let down against.
The Rams were no joke last week. They went into Seattle and dominated them in the 2nd half. 2 different WRs went for 119yds, including a rookie no one had ever heard of. Stafford looked very good against Seattle (then again, so did Purdy). It didn't help that by the 2nd half, Seattle had lost both of their starting OTs, but that is still no excuse for their defense falling apart (although Adams and their 1st rd CB didn't play). That does follow though, as the Rams seem to have Seattle's number just as the Niners tend to have the Rams's number. Gotta hope that holds up.

Last edited:

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought the emergence of Jackson and the state of Purdy's elbow were the two biggest things to take away from the game
Nice to open the season with rout of the Pittsburgh Steelers in Three Rivers stadium
Good point on Jackson. He was a healthy scratch in a few games late last season. I saw that as a big red flag for his future, but That was apparently the wakeup call he needed b/c he was very all kinds of good in the Steeler game.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Solid start to the season... Purdy picked up right where he left off. Aiyuk was a beast all day - he should have a monster year. Right side of the OL is a concern, but so are the protections we call. Leaving McKivitz alone on Watt for so many drop-backs seems odd. I think he was one-on-one for all three of Watt's sacks.

Overall great to see them get out of the gates quick... they looked ready to play. Compared to a lot of contenders, anyway.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man... on so many of those drop-backs, McKivitz was left on an island.
It was a recurring problem. I hope that Shanny sees that in the film. Like you said, the sacks (and the fumbles) came when they left him one on one with Watt. One would hope we learn from that for when we face the next star pass rusher.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It still blows my mind how dominant our defense was on Sunday.

Steelers first 5 drives were 3 and outs.

5 sacks. 2 Interceptions and 1 dropped INT.

Halfway through the 3rd quarter, Pickett had only 100yds passing.

If it weren't for that 1 drive at the end of the first half where the defense suddenly went soft, it would've been a perfect day for the defense.