• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers at Browns

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We were due for a shitty performance... and that was shittttaaaayy!! One positive to take away from it was that Purdy/Aiyuk did enough for the 9ers to win it on that final drive. After the day that Purdy had, it was good to see that he can, in fact, deliver in crunch-time. Too bad Moody pooped the bed. As y'all have pointed out, at least it was an AFC opponent... and Philly lost as well.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Against Cleveland, the Niners had a perfect storm of failure. Just about everything that could go wrong, did go wrong. And the Niners still had a chance to win at the end.
--coming off a huge win over Dallas, they were ripe for a let down
--road game, early start
--rainy and wet
--on offense, Purdy was off all day and had the worst game of his short career
--Banks had possibly the worst game of his career
--Aiyuk had 3 dropped passes including a 40yd bomb that would’ve been a TD
--Niners lost Deebo and CMC to injury
--TW was playing on a bad ankle
--on defense, Greenlaw was out
--the Niner pass rush just couldn’t get home enough
--the defense gave up 100+yds to Amari Cooper
--the Browns rushed for 150yds
--the Niners had 12 penalties for 105yds
--the refs threw 2 complete BS penalties on the Browns game winning drive that gave the Browns new sets of downs. Replays showed that the penalties were complete BS.
--Moody missed a 50+yarder
--Shanny’s playcalling toward the end of the game was highly suspect

All of that went wrong, all the mistakes, missed chances and poor play, and yet the Niners still had a chance to win with a 41yd FG. And true to form for the day, Moody missed it.

I guess the point is that just about everything went wrong on Sunday and the Niners still had a chance to win the game. That's a sad, but interesting silver lining. We have to hope that getting embarrassed in Cleveland wakes the team up.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, I forgot to mention that the Niners missed more tackles in the Browns game than in the previous 3 games combined. Wow

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Honestly, we were due for a loss. And ugly game. Well we got it. I thought this is how the Dallas game would go, so I’m glad it happened against the Browns rather than Dallas.

The Niners didn’t deserve to win the game. They played like shit in all 3 phases. The offense couldn’t move the ball--only 215yds of offense--the defense couldn’t get stops, and the ST missed 2 FGs, including the game winner. It was a complete team failure.
--This loss reminds me of the loss to the Bears last season in the monsoon game and The Denver loss where Jimmy stepped out of the endzone.
--The Niners won the turnover battle, but lost the game. That is statistically very rare.
--I said before the game that this was a classic trap game. Road game in rainy weather against a team with the #1 defense, #1 pass defense, and #1 3rd down defense. All after a nationally televised huge win over Dallas. We fell right into the trap.

Purdy finally had a bad game. It was past due to happen. He was 12 of 27 with 1 TD and 1 INT. A career worst 55.3 passer rating. Easily his worst game.
--Purdy suffered from 4 dropped passes (3 by Aiyuk, including a 40yd bomb that hit him in both hands)
--Purdy was off even when he had open receivers, missing guys by a few feet
--he had an ugly intentional grounding penalty as well
--as bad as Purdy played all day, when it mattered, he drove the team down for a chance to win the game with a 41yd FG that the rookie kicker missed. That’s not on Purdy.
--the wet ball seemed to effect Purdy quite a bit. The ball came out of his hand funny and he even had a fumble where the ball just slipped out of his hand on a pass attempt that he just barely recovered.
--it’ll be interesting to see how/if? Purdy bounces back after this game. One thing Purdy does well is learn from his mistakes. So we have to hope that he learns a LOT from this game.

CMC had 11 carries and 43yds. And 3 catches for 9yds and a TD. He left with an injury that we’ll have to see how it turns out.
--Yet again CMC was the subject of multiple personal fouls early in the game. These are looking more and more deliberate.
--Mason was the first RB to come in to spell CMC. That says Mason has moved up the depth chart ahead of Mitchell. Mason had 5 carries for 27yds and a TD. He needs more touches. He is a great bowling ball complement to CMC’s more slashing running style.

Deebo needs to mind his own business. He had 2 carries for 11yds and no catches. The pregame fracas where Deebo was obviously trying to start shit is just poor sportsmanship and bad attitude. And it was just karma that he left the game with an injury. Don’t tempt the football gods.
--BA had 76yds, but he only caught 4 of the 10 balls that went his way and he cleanly dropped 3 passes that hit him in both hands
--Jennings was very good in blocking and had only 2 catches for 26yds and 2 first downs. He’s not called “First and Juan” for nothing.
--RayRay had 1 catch for 4yds, but he had 2 carries for 23.
--Not sure why Kittle wasn’t a bigger part of the passing offense. My money says it was b/c he was kept in to block more in this game, but the Browns weakness was at LB in coverage and we never exploited it.

Myles Garrett didn’t kill us in this game, but the rest of the Bears DLine did. 3 sacks and consistent pressure was given up much of the day.
--For most of the day, Aaron Banks got his ass kicked by Tomlinson. Just think of how badly that would’ve turned out against the Eagles’ DTs.
--TW had an overall good day, but he suffered an injured ankle. That bears watching.
--Banks, Burford, and TW all had penalties on the day
--Browns averaged 4.7ypc on the ground, so the DLine didn’t cover themselves with glory

Browns backup QB PJ Walker threw 34 attempts, 18 completions and 2INTs and he was sacked twice, for a passer rating of 45.2. That should’ve been enough for a win. But it wasn’t.
--the defense gave up 160yds rushing and lost the TOP by more than 6 minutes
--they averaged 4.7ypc on the ground. Ford had 84yds on 17 carries for 4.9 by himself! The Eagles running game would eat us alive!

Randy Gregory made his debut and had a sack and 2 TFL and 3 Qb hits. All in just 26 snaps. Pretty good for game 1. We can expect to see his workload increase in the coming weeks.
--Bosa got a sack, 3 tackles, a TFL, a pass batted down and 3 Qb hits, but really wasn’t much of a factor in the game, which sadly has been the case for much of the season. Is Bosa not as good b/c he finally got paid?
--Hargrave had 5 solo tackles, including 1 tackle for no gain
--Ferrell had 2 solo tackles and a TFL

Burks led the LBs with 8 total tackles (4 solo)
--Warner got 7 tackles, an INT, and a pbu and was pretty good in coverage.
--DFF had 3 tackles and a TFL
--But the LB corps clearly missed Greeenlaw, particularly against the run.

The secondary gave up a passer rating of 45.2. That should’ve been easily good enough.
--Demo picked off a pass and got he ball back to the Cleveland 8. Where Mason scored shortly thereafter.
--BUT, the secondary gave up 108yds to Cooper and committed 2 critical (and completely BS) penalties on the Browns final drive.

Moody missed the game winning 41yrd FG. Completely unacceptable. That is a kick that the rookie MUST make if he is to stick around in the NFL.
--A rookie PK will cost you at least 1 game. Let’s hope this was it. B/c if Moody misses a 2nd or 3rd chip shot like this, we should be bringing in other kickers for competition
--Somewhere Robbie Gould, an unsigned FA, is chuckling

I put a lot of this loss on coaching.
--Schwartz had Kyler’s number. He knew the Niners tendencies and he caught the team on an off night in bad weather.
--Then Kyle had some questionable play-calling. We got the ball with 3:21 left in the game and a 1pt lead. Common sense says to run the ball and make the Browns use their TOs. Mason was running at 5.4ypc. Kyle called 3 straight pass plays and went 3 and out. Then when we got the ball back with 1;40 to go, we drove to the 23 with 30 seconds left. Instead of spiking the ball and running one more play get a few more yards and then using our final TO to set up the FG, we let the clock run down and tried the FG from the 23. Questionable at best.
--Niners had 12 accepted penalties for 105yds! Yes, 2 of those penalties came on the Browns’s game winning drive and replays showed that they were both bullshit calls, with one of them coming on 4th down and rather than ending the game, it gave Cleveland a new set of downs. It’ll be interesting to see if the league admits that the calls were bad (they were).

Honestly, if you’d told me that we’d be 5-1 at the 6 game mark with a huge win over Dallas, I’d be thrilled. And I really am.
--I’m glad they got this loss out of their system this early. They need to be reminded that they CAN lose to a bad team if they play poorly. The only real silver linings of the game were that the Eagles also lost and so did the Seahawks. So the Niners remain in the driver’s seat for NFC HFA and the NFCW. Though, with the way they played against the Browns, there is no way we'll beat the Eagles.

Next up is a road trip to Minnesota. The Vikings will be without Jefferson at WR, but the Browns were without their star RB, pro bowl OG, and starting QB, and it didn’t matter. So, the Niners better come out with their hair on fire and play like they mean it if they want a win against the Vikings.
The 49ers played poorly all around, no question. So too bad we didn't pull out the win despite it. Despite poor play and bad calls, we still could've won the game.

Many use hindsight to say we should've ran one more play at the end. Granted, a 41 yarder isn't a gimmie, but most times an NFL kicker will make that kick. So without using hindsight, i was ok with kicking it then. If KS ran the ball, odds are we'd only gain 1 or 2 yards since they would expect an inside run. Then what if the defenders rip the ball out? Defenders hold up the runner for 8 secs? What if there's a penalty like illegal procedure or hands to the face?

KS might've called a short pass but what if there's a holding call? What if its tipped in the air or juggled by the receiver? So again, at the time
I as ok with kicking the 41 yarder. If Moody can't hit a 41 yarder, we have bigger issues.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
purdy may have played bad,but he drove the 49ers down to kick the winning fg,the guy just missed it.he had to do it without his running back and a favorite wr too.the 49ers were due a loss,i jut never thought the browns would hand them the 1st one this season.
Yes, we were due for a loss but it MIGHT make a difference who beat us? Nobody likes to lose but losing to ANY AFC team beats losing to Dallas, Rams, Seattle, or Arizona. Even if it was the worse AFC team, if we have to lose, lose to an AFC team.