• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers at Vikings

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coming off the full-team shit show that was the Cleveland game, the Niners had better be ready for a prime time game on Monday night in Minnesota. Minnesota comes in at 2-4. It’s time for a bounceback game. Let’s hope the Niners take out their anger on Minny.

The Viking offense is 17th in points scored and 12th in yards.
--Cousins started the season off pretty hot, going over 350yds passing in each of the team’s first 3 games, but he has cooled off considerably since then, only throwing for 130, 259, and 220.
--Cousins is 0-9 on MNF in his career. No wins at all. He tends to wilt when the bright lights come on
--being without Jefferson will hurt their offense, but their TE Hockenson is dangerous and their rookie WR Addison has looked good and has 4 TDs this season
--on the ground, the Vikings don’t do much, with their leading rusher averaging about 50yds per game. They recently traded for Cam Akers who has looked pretty good so I think we’ll see more of him than Mattison.
--I expect the Niners to play a lot of coverage and rely on the front 4 to beat the Minny Oline.
--is anyone else worried about Bosa’s sack numbers? Or lack thereof? I see star pass rushers showing up big time on other teams and Bosa just hasn’t this season.
--an interesting wrinkle for the Vikings is that they have turned the ball over at least once in every single game this year and did it at least twice in most of their games. So the Niners WILL get a turnover or 2 in this one

The Vikings defense 21st in points scored and 15th in yards allowed. They’re right in the middle of the rankings in both run defense and pass defense. Overall, the defense hasn’t looked much better than the poor defense they showed last year.
--they can get after the passer. Hunter has EIGHT sacks on the season (including 3 against Philly’s Oline!), so our defense will have to focus on slowing him down, just as we did with Parsons and Garrett
--Edge M.Davenport was recently put on IR, so there will be one less pss rusher to worry about
--in coverage, the Vikings are ok, but they don’t get much in the way of INTs, just having 3 on the season. On the other side of the coin, the Niners are leading the league in interceptions, but Cousins has only thrown 4 the entire year
--Philly rushed for 259yds against them, but the other 5 teams didn’t have nearly as much luck on the ground

It'll be interesting to see if Purdy can bounce back from his first truly poor performance. Will Deebo and CMC play? What about TW? Will Kittle disappear from the offense again? Can the Niners get the ground game going and keep it going? On defense, will the Niner pass rush be able to get pressure on Cousins and force a turnover or 2?

Well, the Niners are favored for 7 and the Vikings are without their best player. So, judging from the Colt McCoy Effect, it’s practically a lock that the Niners play like shit and let Minny hang around until the end of the game, LOL. Honestly, this is a game that the Niners should comfortably win and if they don’t, the team needs a hard look in the mirror and to have their expectations readjusted.

Well, what do we think?

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Correction, Kirk Cousins has a 2-10 record on Mondays in his career.

Both wins came vs Chicago in 20 and 21

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Coming off the full-team shit show that was the Cleveland game, the Niners had better be ready for a prime time game on Monday night in Minnesota. Minnesota comes in at 2-4. It’s time for a bounceback game. Let’s hope the Niners take out their anger on Minny.

The Viking offense is 17th in points scored and 12th in yards.
--Cousins started the season off pretty hot, going over 350yds passing in each of the team’s first 3 games, but he has cooled off considerably since then, only throwing for 130, 259, and 220.
--Cousins is 0-9 on MNF in his career. No wins at all. He tends to wilt when the bright lights come on
--being without Jefferson will hurt their offense, but their TE Hockenson is dangerous and their rookie WR Addison has looked good and has 4 TDs this season
--on the ground, the Vikings don’t do much, with their leading rusher averaging about 50yds per game. They recently traded for Cam Akers who has looked pretty good so I think we’ll see more of him than Mattison.
--I expect the Niners to play a lot of coverage and rely on the front 4 to beat the Minny Oline.
--is anyone else worried about Bosa’s sack numbers? Or lack thereof? I see star pass rushers showing up big time on other teams and Bosa just hasn’t this season.
--an interesting wrinkle for the Vikings is that they have turned the ball over at least once in every single game this year and did it at least twice in most of their games. So the Niners WILL get a turnover or 2 in this one

The Vikings defense 21st in points scored and 15th in yards allowed. They’re right in the middle of the rankings in both run defense and pass defense. Overall, the defense hasn’t looked much better than the poor defense they showed last year.
--they can get after the passer. Hunter has EIGHT sacks on the season (including 3 against Philly’s Oline!), so our defense will have to focus on slowing him down, just as we did with Parsons and Garrett
--Edge M.Davenport was recently put on IR, so there will be one less pss rusher to worry about
--in coverage, the Vikings are ok, but they don’t get much in the way of INTs, just having 3 on the season. On the other side of the coin, the Niners are leading the league in interceptions, but Cousins has only thrown 4 the entire year
--Philly rushed for 259yds against them, but the other 5 teams didn’t have nearly as much luck on the ground

It'll be interesting to see if Purdy can bounce back from his first truly poor performance. Will Deebo and CMC play? What about TW? Will Kittle disappear from the offense again? Can the Niners get the ground game going and keep it going? On defense, will the Niner pass rush be able to get pressure on Cousins and force a turnover or 2?

Well, the Niners are favored for 7 and the Vikings are without their best player. So, judging from the Colt McCoy Effect, it’s practically a lock that the Niners play like shit and let Minny hang around until the end of the game, LOL. Honestly, this is a game that the Niners should comfortably win and if they don’t, the team needs a hard look in the mirror and to have their expectations readjusted.

Well, what do we think?
Ordinarily i would've said "comfortably win" too, but with some players questionable (CMC, Deebo, and TW) then maybe not "comfortably".

Somehow you don't wouldn't expect Purdy to play poorly again, especially in a dome? So if he gets back close to what he was doing, we'll get back on track. No mistakes on ST's and we should pull it out.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Whelp!

Funny but when you're watching the game, the defense is totally frustrating. For me at least being 'old school' and more bothered by poor defensive plays, than offensive. Now i get today's NFL rules are looser and there is no such thing as "shut-down" defense, so good defense relative to today's NFL.

Anyway, after calming down (haaa), i realize despite the amount of yards given up, the Vikings only scored 22 points. Then 6 of those points was supposed to be sure INT by Ward. If you had told me the Vikings would score 22 points, I'd have said the 49ers will pull this out.

Last week the Browns only scored 19 points on the 49ers D, despite gaining a lot of yards too.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
We didn't hear Jaylon Moore's name all game, so he wasn't a problem.

Even if a healthy Deebo had played, can't say he was the difference.

Guess I'm saying hard to pinpoint the issue in this latest loss?

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While Purdy didn't end the day well at all, I put much of this loss on a defense that just couldn't get any real pressure on Cousins and continually extended drives. While the Vikes only scored 22 pts, they dominated TOP, which never really let the offense gain any type of rhythm. A couple of converted 3rd and longs... Addison being the only real weapon, and we let him run free for most of the game. While I'm not the hugest fan of blitzing... would have been nice to see more of it on 3rd downs since the front 4 weren't getting any meaningful pressure the entire game. Really highlighted how much our defense is reliant on QB pressures - because the soft zone and mediocre secondary play made the team look pedestrian. Credit Cousins... he stood in there and made a couple of really nice throws. But the 9er defense didn't do much of anything to make him uncomfortable all game.

Not sure it makes a huge difference in the end... but I think staying in the central timezone for the week could have helped. In previous years when the team stayed in Ohio, they performed much better in the second game, from what I remember.

Time to stop reading the press clippings, boys... and get back to work!

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
While Purdy didn't end the day well at all, I put much of this loss on a defense that just couldn't get any real pressure on Cousins and continually extended drives. While the Vikes only scored 22 pts, they dominated TOP, which never really let the offense gain any type of rhythm. A couple of converted 3rd and longs... Addison being the only real weapon, and we let him run free for most of the game. While I'm not the hugest fan of blitzing... would have been nice to see more of it on 3rd downs since the front 4 weren't getting any meaningful pressure the entire game. Really highlighted how much our defense is reliant on QB pressures - because the soft zone and mediocre secondary play made the team look pedestrian. Credit Cousins... he stood in there and made a couple of really nice throws. But the 9er defense didn't do much of anything to make him uncomfortable all game.

Not sure it makes a huge difference in the end... but I think staying in the central timezone for the week could have helped. In previous years when the team stayed in Ohio, they performed much better in the second game, from what I remember.

Time to stop reading the press clippings, boys... and get back to work!
No doubt the defense shouldn't give up that kind of yardage, but a little credit to the Vikings O-line and Cousins. Yes, Cousins stood in there and made the throws. Teams are attacking us like the Rams did and if the QB is accurate......hard to stop. But the bigger picture is not allow too much points and in this regard, our defense still played well enough to win. So you give up the short passes and eventually force a FG.

BTW 1- That TD before the half was supposed to be an INT, it hit Ward right in the 7.

BTW 2 - We were blitzing but obviously none worked well enough. In fact, one of our blitz's allowed a big screen pass.

Getting back to "forcing FG's", despite the yards and TOP our offense should've been able to score more than 22 points?! Our defense tries to force FG's because you'd think our offense would score TD's?! The Vikings blitzed a lot which should've given us more chunk plays. Seems like KS couldn't figure it out and the Vikings guessed better?

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Odds are Purdy will not play on Sunday, this is where the decision to sign Sam Darnold will be put up or shut up.

So far all QB's that went into concussion protocol during the week, didn't play on Sunday.
I know that.