• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Willing to trade for Ohtani?

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No problem. Its still baseball, so it works.

Still don't see the Angels trading Trout at any point. Maybe they'll dfa him in the last year of his contract, when he's not hitting much any more, but as long as he puts butts in the seats, he is going nowhere.

I gotta wonder how the latest Trout injury is going to affect him in the long run.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I gotta wonder how the latest Trout injury is going to affect him in the long run.

I do feel bad that Trout is going to be like Ernie Banks who was an all time great who barely sniffed the playoffs his entire career.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have the Giants ever shown a willingness to give out a blockbuster deal like that, though? We’re talking 10yr/$500m for Ohtani(or something like that). The biggest deal I can recall the Giants giving out was Barry Zito. I’m sure there are other examples, but how many times have the Giants gone over 5 years or $100m for a FA?

Edit: Just remembered Cueto…
Ummm...that guy named Aaron Judge?

Correa?

Ohtani?

Stanton?

Yeah, they're willing.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see that.

He already lives in LA, most likely, and I'm assuming there is a pretty decent sized Japanese community there too.
Although I don't know how much that plays into it for Japanese players, or players from any other country that come here to play.
Is that really a factor? SF has one too I'm sure.

This is my real question about the The City: Is it as big a shit hole as I'm hearing ?
Last time I was there it was, to me, a virtual paradise. I've had a few friends and acquaintances visit in the last few years and they all seem to agree that it was "gross and disgusting" due to the rampant homelessness and drug abuse.

IF that's true, I hope it's not, could that be a factor? is that why we couldn't sign Harper, Judge, etc etc ?

It would be a real shame that an intangible* such as that is the reason we can't land anyone major.

*Intangible as in the team/management can't do anything to effect real change.
There is a decent sized Japanese community in LA. There is one in name only in SF (it's overwhelmingly Chinese). I don't know how much of a factor that plays. Suzuki went to the Cubs. As for being a 'shit hole,' no. Its not. It's a culture war flash point where MAGAchuds and Woketarians can argue about the effectiveness of democrats.

We've got problems, but no ballplayers live in SF anyway. Cain and Posey were the last ones. They all move to the East Bay. Even Pence doesn't live here anymore. Nothing to do with homelessness (they wouldn't end up living near the homeless anyway) and everything to do with school districts and weather.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You listed four guys there…and the Giants didn’t sign any of them. That’s worth pointing out.
Correa agreed.

The other three we made offers to. Competitive offers by all accounts. What is your point?

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see that.

He already lives in LA, most likely, and I'm assuming there is a pretty decent sized Japanese community there too.
Although I don't know how much that plays into it for Japanese players, or players from any other country that come here to play.
Is that really a factor? SF has one too I'm sure.

This is my real question about the The City: Is it as big a shit hole as I'm hearing ?
Last time I was there it was, to me, a virtual paradise. I've had a few friends and acquaintances visit in the last few years and they all seem to agree that it was "gross and disgusting" due to the rampant homelessness and drug abuse.

IF that's true, I hope it's not, could that be a factor? is that why we couldn't sign Harper, Judge, etc etc ?

It would be a real shame that an intangible* such as that is the reason we can't land anyone major.

*Intangible as in the team/management can't do anything to effect real change.
Yes, the City has, unfortunately, become a total shithole. It used to be my favorite city on the west coast to visit. It has become overrun with homelessness and discarded syringes and feces-covered sidewalks. I used to go there every year 1-2x, but no longer. The same is happening to Seattle and Portland, too. These cities were paradise only 20 years ago, too.

I’m not sure any of this impacts a free agent’s willingness to play for the Giants(State income tax is probably a bigger concern), but it is a real issue.

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Correa agreed.

The other three we made offers to. Competitive offers by all accounts. What is your point?
My point is that the Giants don’t have ownership willing to execute an Ohtani deal. They won’t play in the deep end of the pool for free agents. And it’s actually served them pretty well. It’s not really a knock on them.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, the City has, unfortunately, become a total shithole. It used to be my favorite city on the west coast to visit. It has become overrun with homelessness and discarded syringes and feces-covered sidewalks. I used to go there every year 1-2x, but no longer. The same is happening to Seattle and Portland, too. These cities were paradise only 20 years ago, too.

I’m not sure any of this impacts a free agent’s willingness to play for the Giants(State income tax is probably a bigger concern), but it is a real issue.
I don’t disagree that the State Tax is a big hurdle for the Giants signing FAs.

But the Padres and Dodgers have that same exact hurdle.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point is that the Giants don’t have ownership willing to execute an Ohtani deal. They won’t play in the deep end of the pool for free agents. And it’s actually served them pretty well. It’s not really a knock on them.
I agree with this statement. They signed Zito to the huge contract, and they were pretty much panned by the whole baseball world for it. Since then, for the most part, I think they have strategically positioned themselves to offer the 2nd best package to every “target” FA.

I think they legit went all in to actually land Judge, though. But I think that was a rigged game. I suspect the Yanks told Judge to negotiate his Yankee contract with the Giants. The Giants had enough egg on their faces from those proceedings that they jumped too soon on the Correa negotiations. Luckily, they caught themselves before putting ink to paper on that one, though.

You didn’t see the Giants go on tilt when they lost out on Harper or Sebathia. That tells me that they didn’t really want Harper or Sebathia. They DID really want Judge.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've given you several examples of ownership completely willing to execute on a huge FA deal. You're either trolling or dense. I'm not sure which.