• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Some key names to follow for the way-way-too-early '24 draft

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As the opening line from this writer states, "It doesn’t take a dummy (yeah) to know NFL teams treat the draft as a year-round activity." Lotta truth to that. It's not like NFL teams wait until the end of the college season to start putting their draft boards together.

I know one thing. Our season will have totally, 100% sucked if Marvin Harrison Jr is on our radar, being he's pretty much been touted as a top 2-3 pick in the draft. That is unless it's Carolina's slot that we're talking about!!! A Bears fan can dream, can't he?

One name on this watch list that has me a touch perplexed is Georgia TE Brock Bowers. Granted, many have him slated as a true blue chipper and most draft sites have him as a top 10 pick. Plus we all know Poles, like most GMs, goes with the highest ranked player on his board when it's his turn to choose, so you never know. But I sure would like to see some names at other positions given greater consideration. Definitely one of the three DE/Edge players listed here could make for a nice selection with one of our two 1st rounders.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya,youre right,way too early........

I love offense over def,but if our D has no dl,then I dont see how they pass that up when we have DJ.....
Bowers,never heard of him,but would he be worth a top 10 pick,if we have one,and pass on def line??

Id really like MHJ,but not sure we pass up a dl for him.......

And if we end up with two top 10 picks,then JF was not our guy,then I can clearly see a qb......

So ya,way too early......but atleast its football talk.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya,youre right,way too early........

I love offense over def,but if our D has no dl,then I dont see how they pass that up when we have DJ.....
Bowers,never heard of him,but would he be worth a top 10 pick,if we have one,and pass on def line??

Id really like MHJ,but not sure we pass up a dl for him.......

And if we end up with two top 10 picks,then JF was not our guy,then I can clearly see a qb......

So ya,way too early......but atleast its football talk.
Pretty much why I posted the article. It IS way too early, but there's nothing happening at the moment. No practices, no signings, no cuts, no nuthin'. Even whatever rumors are out there have become the same old shit. So I figured WTF, might as well talk about something football-related.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m hoping we end up with a stud DE. It sounds like the draft is deep with those.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The article I linked here really doesn't have anything directly to do with this thread topic as far as specific names go, altho he does reference Caleb Williams, yet the subject matter touches on the same topic from the original article I linked to begin this thread - which is the draft wheels are already spinning in the NFL world even tho we're still 6 months out. Plus I always enjoy reading draft-related information by Greg Gabriel due to his background. The biggest takeaway I got from this is the level of importance given to actual combine day results. It's a good read.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still a billion games to be played to determine just what picks we will have, although it's a good bet both of our number 1 picks will be top 5...

My question right now is where are we going with coaches? Is the Lions assistant Johnson really the big prize?

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I know is Belichick will draft the wrong WR, again!

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's an updated list from CBS Sports of the top 150 prospects in the '24 draft

What made this interesting to me is now 3 of the top 7 rankings feature an OT. Of course this is just one ranking. Other sites could have a much different lineup of top draftees. I know defense for us might be a greater need between the two sides of the scrimmage line, but you can never have enough quality OL. Unless we and/or Carolina get on some magical second half role, there's a chance we could find ourselves with one, possibly two picks in the top 7. Would one of them be used on an OT?

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes,now that we know we are not going anywhere,Im glad you brought this back to life.......

As of now Im still hopping on the CW/DM qb at no.1 and Marvin Harrison with our 2nd no.1........(Im all about getting this offense rolling)

**on a side note**
Please,and I repeat please,no Shedeur Sanders.....cant stand his loudmouth dad and dont need that in Chicago.......

This makes that Carolina pick all the more needing now after their first win.....
Freeagency get a top notch olineman and we got this train a rolling.......

Take rest of the picks and go for def........

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes,now that we know we are not going anywhere,Im glad you brought this back to life.......
I was holding off until the Chargers game to see if whatever slim chances we had to cause some damage had any legs. Obviously none at all, so whereas when I first started this thread it was comically way too early looking ahead to the draft, I no longer think this. We're certainly not going anywhere other seeing than how high in the draft will we end up with our two 1st rounders. Sour grapes rule yet again.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, I'm hearing the DE class is mediocre this year. >shrugs<

Heard the same......but Id rather have a 2nd.
If Poles can get a decent deal done with Sweat,then thats better than trying to out bid for players come March......

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How's this for a mock draft?

(Amber Matsumoto/Yahoo Sports)

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another year another WR. We have no line on either side of the ball but hey lets draft a WR because of the outside in theory!

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the Sweat extension, while we can never rule out any position, I'm thinking now the DE/Edge spot no longer has a must-take feel to it with either of our two #1s.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the Sweat extension, while we can never rule out any position, I'm thinking now the DE/Edge spot no longer has a must-take feel to it with either of our two #1s.

QB/LT...or sign a stopgap vet/roll with Fields (cue groans) and go LT/WR. (Option 1 is probably the best...but we just don't know how they truly feel about Fields and/or how a new coach/GM would feel about Fields vs. a top 5 rookie QB)

3rd rounder and/or FA should still find us another pass rusher and a center.

Then BPA.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QB/LT...or sign a stopgap vet/roll with Fields (cue groans) and go LT/WR. (Option 1 is probably the best...but we just don't know how they truly feel about Fields and/or how a new coach/GM would feel about Fields vs. a top 5 rookie QB)

3rd rounder and/or FA should still find us another pass rusher and a center.

Then BPA.
We all know by now it seems regardless of positional need, GMs seem to simply go with the BPA. Obviously the rest of the season for Fields, once he's back at the helm again, will go a long way in determining if a QB will be on our radar with one of our top two picks. I keep hoping against hope that he'll somehow bust thru. I would love to have those top two picks in our pocket for other needs. But I'm not confident at all that this will be the case.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watched a most enjoyable USC-Washington game last night, which turned out to be an offensive explosion for both teams, with almost 1100 yards from scrimage combined. Naturally I focused on Caleb Williams to see how he'd fare. Have to say for the most part, he more than held up his end of the bargain. 27-35-0 for 312 yards. Solid numbers to along with some insane throws, and he often showed an escapability that could serve him well in the pros.

However, at a key point in the game, he fumbled & lost the ball, which resulted in 7 points for Washington off that turnover. Ok, shit happens. But the amazing part was learning that this was his 30th fumble since taking the reins. That's a scary number considering he hasn't even completed his 3rd season. Plus, I'm not sure about his emotional stability. After the game the cameras showed him in his mother's arms, crying like there's no tomorrow. Obviously, one can say what harm is there in showing a human side, especially after a tough loss. In one sense, I couldn't agree more with this sentiment. But then again, this is just another piece indicating that this guy's mental makeup might be on the high strung side of the equation.