• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So... what now? What's next at QB? For this franchise?

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The merry-go-round just continues to spin at QB and it's getting very hard to be a fan of this team. I have to tell ya... after last Thursday? My will to give a fuck is at an all-time low. Which means I still really do "give a fuck"... but I'm growing tired. It is cut and dry and 100% obvious that Justin Fields is not the answer. In fact, I'll go one step further, he is among the worst QB's I have ever seen a franchise committed to as "the guy". He may even be the worst, as I don't know if Jamarcus Russell or Ryan Leaf were ever committed to long enough by their respective franchises to count in the running. They were mercifully pulled off of the field before they spent too long out there. I wish the same would happen for Justin, as I just feel for the kid. However, we will likely ride him and milk him for every last nauseating drop back that we can possibly endure this season.

I would have to look the list up and down. However, if I had to win ONE NFL game. I think I may start every single backup in the league, before I put my trust into Fields. He is not just bad. He is unable to be developed. There is nothing there. I have never seen a QB look this lost. I have never seen a QB take his eyes away from downfield as quickly as Fields does when his first isn't IMMEDIATELY OPEN. I have never seen a QB stare straight at open receivers and not unload the football like he does. I have never seen a QB on an NFL field literally play street football like he does. He cannot function at a baseline level within an offense. He takes the snap and if he doesn't see his first read wide open. ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE and he's holding the ball.... he's staring at the rush... he's running around.

Going into the Washington game. Per Next Gen. Fields had THE MOST TIME TO THROW on average per dropback in the NFL. He had the LEAST dropbacks in the NFL. AND... he had taken the 3rd MOST sacks. That is utterly embarrassing.

Mitch had a low ceiling, but at least there was a floor to stand on. Fields can't get off his back, laying in the basement. I now LONG for the days of Mitch Trubisky. I never thought I would say that.

So, who is next up? What are our options? My guess is that Poles signs a vet FA or trades for a stop gap guy. Then, he goes and drafts his own young QB. Let's pray he can evaluate QB's better than Pace and company. Good lord, have mercy.

It's amazing that we haven't ACCIDENTALLY fallen ass backwards into a good NFL QB by now. The mathematical odds of whiffing THIS MANY times in a row must be just... astounding.

Think McFly Think

Unaware and Oblivious Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It should please you to know that we have a good QB and still suck. Lol

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The merry-go-round just continues to spin at QB and it's getting very hard to be a fan of this team. I have to tell ya... after last Thursday? My will to give a fuck is at an all-time low. Which means I still really do "give a fuck"... but I'm growing tired. It is cut and dry and 100% obvious that Justin Fields is not the answer. In fact, I'll go one step further, he is among the worst QB's I have ever seen a franchise committed to as "the guy". He may even be the worst, as I don't know if Jamarcus Russell or Ryan Leaf were ever committed to long enough by their respective franchises to count in the running. They were mercifully pulled off of the field before they spent too long out there. I wish the same would happen for Justin, as I just feel for the kid. However, we will likely ride him and milk him for every last nauseating drop back that we can possibly endure this season.

I would have to look the list up and down. However, if I had to win ONE NFL game. I think I may start every single backup in the league, before I put my trust into Fields. He is not just bad. He is unable to be developed. There is nothing there. I have never seen a QB look this lost. I have never seen a QB take his eyes away from downfield as quickly as Fields does when his first isn't IMMEDIATELY OPEN. I have never seen a QB stare straight at open receivers and not unload the football like he does. I have never seen a QB on an NFL field literally play street football like he does. He cannot function at a baseline level within an offense. He takes the snap and if he doesn't see his first read wide open. ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE and he's holding the ball.... he's staring at the rush... he's running around.

Going into the Washington game. Per Next Gen. Fields had THE MOST TIME TO THROW on average per dropback in the NFL. He had the LEAST dropbacks in the NFL. AND... he had taken the 3rd MOST sacks. That is utterly embarrassing.

Mitch had a low ceiling, but at least there was a floor to stand on. Fields can't get off his back, laying in the basement. I now LONG for the days of Mitch Trubisky. I never thought I would say that.

So, who is next up? What are our options? My guess is that Poles signs a vet FA or trades for a stop gap guy. Then, he goes and drafts his own young QB. Let's pray he can evaluate QB's better than Pace and company. Good lord, have mercy.

It's amazing that we haven't ACCIDENTALLY fallen ass backwards into a good NFL QB by now. The mathematical odds of whiffing THIS MANY times in a row must be just... astounding.
Yeah, watching Mahomes week in and week out must be torture for you Bears fans.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah...This is a little premature. He hasn't been that good...but it's a disaster all around.

We'll find out what coaching/management really think of Fields this offseason. They'll definitely make a move for a QB if they don't believe in him. There's nothing to be done in the meantime, so why sweat it at this point? This season was always a wash.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You tryna do for Fields what you did for Gordon? :lol:

inb4 @BearsWillWin calls you a meatball.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Gee, all this time, I've been told it's just the o-line.:think:

Our WRs suck donkey balls, but they can't make a play if the QB never pulls the trigger.

He holds the ball waaay too long, still has a godawful windup, and as you said...first option wide open or run. The vast majority of sacks taken are on him and him alone.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per Next Gen. Fields had THE MOST TIME TO THROW on average per dropback in the NFL.

Yeah....when you run around a lot and extend plays....that's gonna happen.

Here's an idea....maybe just wait? Fields is in his first full season as a starter and on his second OC. He needs weapons and the offense as a whole needs to learn and grow. Wild thoughts I know.....but maybe, just maybe, a little bit of patience is needed.

If the same mentality and logic expressed in the original post were used in Buffalo a few years ago.....The Bills would have moved on from Josh Allen after his first couple seasons, which were statistically speaking very bad. But they stuck with him and put pieces around him and now the team is pretty good.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's probably responsible for a bit less than half of his sacks. WR separation likely counts for a few more.

justanidiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well, just letting you know I woke up last night with ESPN on and heard them report that Simien had passing stats for the game. Just thought I would let you guys know.

I want Fields to get a fair shake, but I also want him held accountable when these ex players are explaining that a receiver with his back to fields about to make his break is what is considered an open receiver. If you are not going to take the 3-5 yards, the safeties are going to stay back and negate the deep throws. They will only be completed if a defender goes down on the play.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Fields really that bad or do his struggles have something to do with the fact the Bears have none, or very few, weapons on the offensive side of the ball?

This is the same team that before the draft had no 1st round picks playing on the o-line last season. And last season JF was sacked on 12% of drop backs, the most in the league.

And for any Bears fans that might misunderstand what I'm saying. I'm not trying to go the homer route, would never do something like that. I know Ohio State's history of QB's in the NFL is lousy. But the Bear need alotta help on both side of the ball.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The merry-go-round just continues to spin at QB and it's getting very hard to be a fan of this team. I have to tell ya... after last Thursday? My will to give a fuck is at an all-time low. Which means I still really do "give a fuck"... but I'm growing tired.
Bah. I've been watching Bears bad QB play since the late 60's. Not growing tired yet, just the norm. Hell, even Jim McMahon was just a franchise type QB, no hall of famer.

Not real sure what Poles will do next season or the one following (for me the limit of the re build) if he decides Fields isn't the QB he thinks the Bears should have as his franchise QB. I'll give Poles a few years to figure this all out. As far as, year 1 he has had some hits in the draft so there is hope. His F/A where meh, but with no cap space last year, I get it. This year, the cap is huge but sadly, the WR F/A class is weak.

I could see next years draft being a bunch of OL, DL and WR's...

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Fields really that bad or do his struggles have something to do with the fact the Bears have none, or very few, weapons on the offensive side of the ball?

This is the same team that before the draft had no 1st round picks playing on the o-line last season. And last season JF was sacked on 12% of drop backs, the most in the league.

And for any Bears fans that might misunderstand what I'm saying. I'm not trying to go the homer route, would never do something like that. I know Ohio State's history of QB's in the NFL is lousy. But the Bear need alotta help on both side of the ball.

It's both right now. BUT...When Mitch was finally gotten rid of I had little fear he'd go elsewhere and ball out like an all-pro. If we dumped Justin Fields after this sh*tshow of a year, I would be petrified he'd go to a better team and ball out.

Lotta knee jerk reactions out there, but we're at least 4 games into next season before I feel a fair assessment can be made on Fields...

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's both right now. BUT...When Mitch was finally gotten rid of I had little fear he'd go elsewhere and ball out like and all-pro. If we dumped Justin Fields after this sh*tshow of a year, I would be petrified he'd go to a better team and ball out.

Lotta knee jerk reactions out there, but we're at least 4 games into next season before I feel a fair assessment can be made on Fields...

Thanks for the answer. But I hope for BearsNation things start going in the right direction. Soldier Field is on a very short list of stadiums I'd like to see a game at one day.

Hell I just wanna visit Chicago. I'm a big blues fan. Already know what my first stop would be, Buddy Guy's Legends.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Our WRs are far from great, but our running game is strong. One of the better one-two punches in the league.

A strong running game should help a struggling passing game out tremendously, but that doesn't seem to be the case here.

I think the kid is mega-talented, seemingly an intelligent fella, with all the leader characteristics one could ask for, but whether he just doesn't trust his receivers, the system or himself, it ends up problematic, and ultimately it's in HIS head.

As bad as the receivers are, there has been way too many times, when he's bailed out before the play even begins, or he hesitates to pull the trigger and gets sacked or just fucks up the overall timing of the play.

Mooney, Kmet, Montgomery and Herbert are all playmakers on O. Bottom line, is Fields needs to play better. We can all make excuses til we're blue in the face, but game stats, and the ol' sniff test says he needs to be better.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our WRs are far from great, but our running game is strong. One of the better one-two punches in the league.

A strong running game should help a struggling passing game out tremendously, but that doesn't seem to be the case here.

I think the kid is mega-talented, seemingly an intelligent fella, with all the leader characteristics one could ask for, but whether he just doesn't trust his receivers, the system or himself, it ends up problematic, and ultimately it's in HIS head.

As bad as the receivers are, there has been way too many times, when he's bailed out before the play even begins, or he hesitates to pull the trigger and gets sacked or just fucks up the overall timing of the play.

Mooney, Kmet, Montgomery and Herbert are all playmakers on O. Bottom line, is Fields needs to play better. We can all make excuses til we're blue in the face, but game stats, and the ol' sniff test says he needs to be better.

Thanks for the breakdown. From what you've said it does sound kinda mental with JF right now. I know last season was rough for him. Just hope he can turn things around and put up some decent numbers with better decision making.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm definitely with the crowd that says Fields at the very least needs the entire season as our starter to determine what his future will be with the team. I've also opined in other posts that I would hope that we keep a shorter leash on him than we had with Trubisky. A full season....maybe two should let us know whether or not he fits with this team.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well, just letting you know I woke up last night with ESPN on and heard them report that Simien had passing stats for the game. Just thought I would let you guys know.

I want Fields to get a fair shake, but I also want him held accountable when these ex players are explaining that a receiver with his back to fields about to make his break is what is considered an open receiver. If you are not going to take the 3-5 yards, the safeties are going to stay back and negate the deep throws. They will only be completed if a defender goes down on the play.

Fucking gibberish

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kmet is not a playmaker. Shove that thought up your ass and keep it there.