• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Kyrie Irving worth the max contract?

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dunno. If they lose Kyrie and they don't get AD they are taking a pretty significant step back from title contention.

Their draft assets are good but not blow you away good. A likely late lottery pick(Sac), and early non-lottery pick(Clippers) and future pick from Memphis that could turn into a great pick(unprotected in 2021) or could be just another mid-lottery/non-lottery pick next year.

the downside is this draft is a lot like 2016.

There's one clear top talent.

A lot of questions beyond that.

It's not the draft to be making a big move up in.

Maybe a few slots to secure Bol Bol.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the downside is this draft is a lot like 2016.

There's one clear top talent.

A lot of questions beyond that.

It's not the draft to be making a big move up in.

Maybe a few slots to secure Bol Bol.

From what I'm hearing, the top 5 in this draft are all well above everyone else in value. So Zion is in his own tier. Then there are 3 or 4 guys in the next tier and then a huge dropoff and plateau.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I'm hearing, the top 5 in this draft are all well above everyone else in value. So Zion is in his own tier. Then there are 3 or 4 guys in the next tier and then a huge dropoff and plateau.

Honestly after the clear pick 1 and 2 (Zion and Barrett) this draft could go in all kinds of directions.

Just like 2016 when no one had the Celtics taking brown at 3.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Easily yes. Top 10 player in the NBA.

He is an asshole but the talent is undeniable. One of a handful of guys in the NBA that can win a playoff game for you by himself.
Agree IF he is playing with another star. Otherwise he's not getting you very far.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you cannot expect Kyrie to be your leader and a guy that the other guys rally around.

Mostly becuase he is fairly insane and has no self awareness. Iwas listening to a Bill Simmons podcast hte other day and he was like- I was watching Kyrie try to lecture to Jaylen Brown about something he did wrong and it looked like Brown wanted to punch him in the face.

Kyrie is just so stupid- one second he is saying how he doesnt want all the attention- the next second he is making feature films.
He is the epitome of an enigma.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every player in the NBA needs other great players. No one has ever done it alone

Which why, at least in part, Kyrie deserves a max deal. Just because a guy isn't a #1 option, doesn't mean he's not a great #2 option that can make a huge difference in whether or not a team can win.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which why, at least in part, Kyrie deserves a max deal. Just because a guy isn't a #1 option, doesn't mean he's not a great #2 option that can make a huge difference in whether or not a team can win.
That's a valid point, but my reason for not supporting a max contract for Irving is because I dont think he is quite good enough and deserving of one. I would offer Leonard one for example. In my mind, however I do think Irving should be offer in the are of 25 to 30 million a year and regardless of it he does or doesnt deserve one, He Will Get One. It's simple, if the Lakers want him, then offer him the max and get it done

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then why are teams (like the Lakers) trying to find ways to get 2-3 max contract players on their rosters to compete with teams like the Warriors? Max contracts are handed out to avoid losing players as often as they are to get them in free agency.
They want to start winning now because winning brings in more money

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dunno. If they lose Kyrie and they don't get AD they are taking a pretty significant step back from title contention.

Their draft assets are good but not blow you away good. A likely late lottery pick(Sac), and early non-lottery pick(Clippers) and future pick from Memphis that could turn into a great pick(unprotected in 2021) or could be just another mid-lottery/non-lottery pick next year.
That would be absolutely wonderful to me. I hope they make it happen

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree IF he is playing with another star. Otherwise he's not getting you very far.
No one gets very far as the only star, as LeBron is showing this year

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a valid point, but my reason for not supporting a max contract for Irving is because I dont think he is quite good enough and deserving of one. I would offer Leonard one for example. In my mind, however I do think Irving should be offer in the are of 25 to 30 million a year and regardless of it he does or doesnt deserve one, He Will Get One. It's simple, if the Lakers want him, then offer him the max and get it done

I think that, at least to a small degree, you're counting some of the crazy stuff that he has said and, at least so far in his career, not being much of a leader against him.

On the basketball court, he is one of the most talented players in the game, has proven himself in the clutch and has shown that he can win a playoff game for a team virtually by himself.

Those things make him a max player.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that, at least to a small degree, you're counting some of the crazy stuff that he has said and, at least so far in his career, not being much of a leader against him.

On the basketball court, he is one of the most talented players in the game, has proven himself in the clutch and has shown that he can win a playoff game for a team virtually by himself.

Those things make him a max player.
I dont think you can disregard the other stuff, but putting that aside in my opinion he has not played and performed like a max contract player his entire time in Boston. He will get a max contract offer though for sure. To be honest I think the NBA made a huge mistake by letting those max contracts get so large. I think all of them are over paid, not that any one in the NBA cares what I think.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont think you can disregard the other stuff, but putting that aside in my opinion he has not played and performed like a max contract player his entire time in Boston.
^ Crazy talk.

Can't argue with these stats, TLF: LINK

In Kyrie's time in Boston, he has averaged roughly:
  • 24 ppg
  • 49% FG%
  • 40+% on 3pt FG's
  • 6 apg
To say nothing of the fact that he has proven to be a clutch performer.

Those are easily max statistics for a player in his prime.

Last edited:

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^ Crazy talk.

Can't argue with these stats, TLF: LINK

In Kyrie's time in Boston, he has averaged roughly:
  • 24 ppg
  • 49% FG%
  • 40+% on 3pt FG's
  • 6 apg
To say nothing of the fact that he has proven to be a clutch performer.

Those are easily max statistics for a player in his prime.

I suppose, Perhaps I wasn't paying close attention to him. I will concede defeat

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Kyrie was in CLE he never had a BPM or a VORP that even touched 4.

He was over 6 bpm last year (6.2) and is at 6.6 this year.

He had a 4 VORP last year and is already at 3.8 this year.

And people tried to call him a top 10-15 player before he got to Boston. he wasn't even close. Not even close.

Now he is.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not how sportshoop.la works, n00b!

:D
I have tried to back away from endless and worthless debates, which means that I end up not talking to some in here. I won't mention any names. Present company not in that group:lol:

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So now you know why the Lakers are offering max contracts

You claimed Irving wasn't worth a max contract because he is a second option. Winning teams need multiple max players, hence second options get max contracts. Get the jist? Warriors have 2 max contracts, with a third coming this summer.