• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Kyrie Irving worth the max contract?

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You claimed Irving wasn't worth a max contract because he is a second option. Winning teams need multiple max players, hence second options get max contracts. Get the jist? Warriors have 2 max contracts, with a third coming this summer.

Well this summer they gain a max (Klay) but lose one too (Durant) most likely. So two maxes still.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You claimed Irving wasn't worth a max contract because he is a second option. Winning teams need multiple max players, hence second options get max contracts. Get the jist? Warriors have 2 max contracts, with a third coming this summer.
It will be interesting, but one thing - In my opinion all of the Lakers plans hinged on the Lakers making the playoffs and showing the NBA they were back. Now it appears that they are not any better then last year and more than a few are saying that Magic Johnson and Pelinka made a lot of mistakes in setting up the team last summer.

You think that could affect who will want to come to the Lakers?

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Gman

Here is what I see with Kyrie:

Last year, it seemed like he played more within the team concept AND guys like Tatum, Brown and Rozier were less established. So it worked fairly well when he played.

Fast forward after the playoff run, the 3 youngsters were ready to go but Kyrie also has been playing like he has to prove that he is "the guy" which has often taken the rest of the team out of the flow. The result has been poor chemistry that has impacted defensive effort for many players.

Now, there will be a playoff game or 2 where Kyrie will need to do some heroic stuff to steal a game they might otherwise lose. But less is more with him overall because the team is very talented. He needs to play within the flow like he did Tuesday against GS early in games, then be the closer at the end when needed.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Gman

Last year, it seemed like he played more within the team concept AND guys like Tatum, Brown and Rozier were less established. So it worked fairly well when he played.

Fast forward after the playoff run, the 3 youngsters were ready to go but Kyrie also has been playing like he has to prove that he is "the guy" which has often taken the rest of the team out of the flow. The result has been poor chemistry that has impacted defensive effort for many players.

Now, there will be a playoff game or 2 where Kyrie will need to do some heroic stuff to steal a game they might otherwise lose. But less is more with him overall because the team is very talented. He needs to play within the flow like he did Tuesday against GS early in games, then be the closer at the end when needed.
I don't disagree with you.

What I've further noticed is that Kyrie had a fire lit under his bum at basically all times last year... this year, however, since probably around Christmas-ish... Kyrie has (at times, at least) gone into that low-energy-defense mode that he was known for in Cleveland.

Now, that being said: Kyrie's offensive numbers and efficiency have been good.

And I have grown completely tired of Kyrie's off-the-court rambling nonsense BS anti-leadership dialogues... so I want to make sure those get a fair share of the blame, too.

All that being said: we'll see how it all comes together come playoff time for this group... that's gonna be the be-all, end-all for every argument. The C's better show 100% effort and better win... a couple of playoff series at the bare minimum.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As is everyone. Must suck to be a team exceeding all expectations with a high playoff seed, only for a struggling team to get all the coverage.

Well said team has the media's Golden Boy on it so that's why the coverage.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't disagree with you.

What I've further noticed is that Kyrie had a fire lit under his bum at basically all times last year... this year, however, since probably around Christmas-ish... Kyrie has (at times, at least) gone into that low-energy-defense mode that he was known for in Cleveland.

Now, that being said: Kyrie's offensive numbers and efficiency have been good.

And I have grown completely tired of Kyrie's off-the-court rambling nonsense BS anti-leadership dialogues... so I want to make sure those get a fair share of the blame, too.

All that being said: we'll see how it all comes together come playoff time for this group... that's gonna be the be-all, end-all for every argument. The C's better show 100% effort and better win... a couple of playoff series at the bare minimum.

100% agree. However, even if the Celtics do well in the playoffs and possibly win it, I still don't want K yrie in Boston anymore. Like you said, his off the court antics are over the top. Stick with acting in crappy movies or stfu

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
100% agree. However, even if the Celtics do well in the playoffs and possibly win it, I still don't want K yrie in Boston anymore. Like you said, his off the court antics are over the top. Stick with acting in crappy movies or stfu
I'm not to where you are... yet.

Kyrie is still a great player on the court... and players of his caliber don't grow on trees.

You try every way to work this situation out amicably with a guy like Kyrie... even if he's super high maintence and largely the cause of his own woes... you special handle his issues and try to win a Championship.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not to where you are... yet.

Kyrie is still a great player on the court... and players of his caliber don't grow on trees.

You try every way to work this situation out amicably with a guy like Kyrie... even if he's super high maintence and largely the cause of his own woes... you special handle his issues and try to win a Championship.

Totally get what you are saying but sadly I am at that point with him. He is an immense talent no doubt but I just can't stand him

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will be interesting, but one thing - In my opinion all of the Lakers plans hinged on the Lakers making the playoffs and showing the NBA they were back. Now it appears that they are not any better then last year and more than a few are saying that Magic Johnson and Pelinka made a lot of mistakes in setting up the team last summer.

You think that could affect who will want to come to the Lakers?

It could, but I think most realize that ultimately it was injuries that derailed the Lakers this year. That should soften that blow a bit.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Gman

Yeah, it seems Kyrie tried to do what he thought a leader does, but was wrong. Hero ball should be the last option, and in small doses. You have to be careful when criticizing or calling someone out as well, as that can backfire. This year, it seems there are too many guys after their own shots, which is understandable with the way last season's playoffs went and the timing of free agency for some of these guys.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's not reliable. Everyone knew Chris Paul was an injury waiting to happen and he gimped out for the biggest game for the Rockets in a couple of decades.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Celtics offseason has the risk of being either amazing or pretty bad. I dont know if much in-between is out there.

Think about it- you have Kyrie, and Anthony Davis trade rumors.

The Celtics could without a doubt resign Kyrie, and trade Jaylen Brown, Rozier some pieces and like 4-5 first rounders for Davis.

Or they could trade Tatum and a couple firsts for Davis

or Kyrie could leave, Horford could leave, Davis could say NO WAY i am resigning with Kyrie gone and 30M a year tied up in a hobbled Hayward and the Celtics could rocket back to the middle of the Eastern Conference pack.

IT is going to be very interesting to see what happens.

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which why, at least in part, Kyrie deserves a max deal. Just because a guy isn't a #1 option, doesn't mean he's not a great #2 option that can make a huge difference in whether or not a team can win.

It all comes down to this statement above.

He will be wearing Green in the fall of 19

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It all comes down to this statement above.

He will be wearing Green in the fall of 19

I think it all comes down to how they do in the playoffs. Right now, it looks like the Celtics are a better team without him.

If that continues in the playoffs, the Celtics might not want him back.

But, if he plays like he did in the playoffs when he was in Cleveland, then I think he stays.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it all comes down to how they do in the playoffs. Right now, it looks like the Celtics are a better team without him.

If that continues in the playoffs, the Celtics might not want him back.

But, if he plays like he did in the playoffs when he was in Cleveland, then I think he stays.

I'm not so sure it matters how they do in the playoffs.

He asked out of Cleveland after 3 straight Finals trips and a title.

I wouldn't just assume playoff success will entice him to stay. And I am pretty sure the Celtics will want him back no matter what.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not so sure it matters how they do in the playoffs.

He asked out of Cleveland after 3 straight Finals trips and a title.

I wouldn't just assume playoff success will entice him to stay. And I am pretty sure the Celtics will want him back no matter what.

True. But in Cleveland, he wanted out from under Lebron's thumb.

Having said that, Kyrie's a different dude, so who knows what he's thinking? :noidea:

The issue for the Celtics, imo, is are they a better team without him? That's how it's looked in the regular season.

If that remains the same in the playoffs, then the only reason I would see for the Celtics to keep him is if they want to turn around and trade him.

On the other hand, we've all seen that he can go to a higher level for the playoffs (which I expect him to do) and if that happens...then the Celtics will want to try to keep him.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True. But in Cleveland, he wanted out from under Lebron's thumb.

Having said that, Kyrie's a different dude, so who knows what he's thinking? :noidea:

The issue for the Celtics, imo, is are they a better team without him? That's how it's looked in the regular season.

If that remains the same in the playoffs, then the only reason I would see for the Celtics to keep him is if they want to turn around and trade him.

On the other hand, we've all seen that he can go to a higher level for the playoffs (which I expect him to do) and if that happens...then the Celtics will want to try to keep him.

That is my thinking too.

They could always pull a Blake Griffin and trade him.