• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Kyrie Irving worth the max contract?

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Might be time to trade LeBron this summer and resign Julius Randle. Lakers were better before he came

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I credit this thread for the big Boston win last night. :tongue:

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I credit this thread for the big Boston win last night. :tongue:

You know what?

First time in awhile they have played a team game with Kyrie active.

Their defense was swarming and nobody tried to do too much individually on offense.

Now the only question is whether they can start playing this way with any measure of consistency. Because if they do they are as good as anybody in the East.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know what?

First time in awhile they have played a team game with Kyrie active.

Their defense was swarming and nobody tried to do too much individually on offense.

Now the only question is whether they can start playing this way with any measure of consistency. Because if they do they are as good as anybody in the East.
Yeah... I'd say your analysis is spot on.

What gives me hope as a Boston fan is that when the playoffs come around... usually that brings the extra gear and effort out of a team. So there is hope that we'll get last nights version of the C's more often at that point of the season.

I'm not even talking about offense. I'm talking defense. The Celtics have had far too many games this season where they slept-walked through their defensive responsibilities... and they've gotten wrecked by good and bad teams alike in those games.

When Boston plays defense, though... when they put the effort in... they're an entirely different team. But it comes down to effort.

What would make them a legit Championship contender is if we see that type of team offense, too.

Only time will tell, though... last night was nice and arguably needed... but the C's have basically shot their regular season in the face. Only way forward now is turning on the light-switch come playoff time and fighting through their loss of homecourt advantage in the later rounds.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Easily yes. Top 10 player in the NBA.

He is an asshole but the talent is undeniable. One of a handful of guys in the NBA that can win a playoff game for you by himself.

Celtics play better when He's not on the court. Dude is talented for sure but he is an assume who is a "me" first guy. Which pretty much what the NBA has become.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Gman do you honestly see said light switch being turned on with this team?

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Gman do you honestly see said light switch being turned on with this team?
You catch the game last night?

I'm not saying it's definitely gonna happen... but it's certainly possible.

This is the NBA we're talking about, too. Unfortunately... the regular season means relatively little, the post-season means everything, and the players know it all too well...

... so "flipping the switch" type attitudes and team scenarios happen.

Last edited:

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is the NBA we're talking about, too. Unfortunately... the regular season means relatively little, the post-season means everything, and the players know it all too well...

... is "flipping the switch" type attitudes and team scenarios happen.

Best thing they got going for them is they will likely have a easy 5 game series with the Pacers to really get them going in round 1.

They're so lucky Oladipo got hurt or else we were going to have a bloodbath in round 1 with the Celtics and Sixers

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

... is "flipping the switch" type attitudes and team scenarios happen.

Only saw a bit of it and yes they did look good from what I saw but one game doesn't give me much hope. Play consistently like last night for at least a game stretch and maybe I'll be more confident in this team. But you are correct, regular season seems like a joke for most teams. I just don't know with this current team things will just "turn around"

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only saw a bit of it and yes they did look good from what I saw but one game doesn't give me much hope. Play consistently like last night for at least a game stretch and maybe I'll be more confident in this team. But you are correct, regular season seems like a joke for most teams. I just don't know with this current team things will just "turn around"
Your pessimism is totally understandable... it has been a rough regular season.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Danny needed to sell high on Rozier and find another backup PG.

However, seems he was right to hold onto Rozier. Kyrie certainly seems like he's bolting Boston this summer.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your pessimism is totally understandable... it has been a rough regular season.

Yeah, it's hard not to be pessimistic with this team but there is hope. At least they aren't the Lakers

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Irving was better as a #2 with someone like LeBron - To me, that is not worthy of a max contract

Then why are teams (like the Lakers) trying to find ways to get 2-3 max contract players on their rosters to compete with teams like the Warriors? Max contracts are handed out to avoid losing players as often as they are to get them in free agency.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, it's hard not to be pessimistic with this team but there is hope. At least they aren't the Lakers

No championship is the same either way. Teams like the Lakers and Celtics don't measure themselves on early playoff exits.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kyrie certainly seems like he's bolting Boston this summer.
We'll see. Might come down to how Kyrie feels at the time... he's kinda moody/mercurial.

Objectively speaking, Boston is a good fit for him. But... who knows what's going on in his head?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I think they are striving for more than ok. If Kyrie leaves, they will need at least one superstar.

I didn't mean they will be an OK team, I meant that their situation to fill any needs is OK and that there is no real need for worry. They have plenty of assets to fill needs, even if Kyrie leaves. In many ways, the second team guys play better as a team than the first team.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No championship is the same either way. Teams like the Lakers and Celtics don't measure themselves on early playoff exits.

Very true. I was just taking a little jab at this current Lakers team is all.

lebron23james

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't be so quick to count boston out...

There is a difference between the regular season problems, and how true elite superstars perform once the playoffs roll around. You are always too concerned with the regular season, hence your lillard comment. Lillard couldn't do what Irving did in the finals tho, he just isn't as natural talented nor as good a 3 point shooter

Ironically now Tlance thinks they can beat anyone only after watching another regular season game, my comment was before the GS blowout...lol

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very true. I was just taking a little jab at this current Lakers team is all.

As is everyone. Must suck to be a team exceeding all expectations with a high playoff seed, only for a struggling team to get all the coverage.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't mean they will be an OK team, I meant that their situation to fill any needs is OK and that there is no real need for worry. They have plenty of assets to fill needs, even if Kyrie leaves. In many ways, the second team guys play better as a team than the first team.

I dunno. If they lose Kyrie and they don't get AD they are taking a pretty significant step back from title contention.

Their draft assets are good but not blow you away good. A likely late lottery pick(Sac), and early non-lottery pick(Clippers) and future pick from Memphis that could turn into a great pick(unprotected in 2021) or could be just another mid-lottery/non-lottery pick next year.