• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Kyrie Irving worth the max contract?

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kyrie, IMO, is worth a max, given that you can cater a team towards his strengths. Obviously Boston has not been a good fit, but how much of that is actually Kyrie's fault? I've been a big detractor of Kyrie, but not even I can put all the blame on him. He's handled some things poorly that's for sure, but the offense isn't created to play to Kyrie's strengths. That's why things get out of whack and his teammates get pissed because they're used to playing a different brand of basketball. Kyrie is elite at what he does, only it's not required of him in Boston.

Given a blank slate, I would highly considering maxing Kyrie, but there are definitely lots of caveats that come with it. It wouldn't be as easy as some of the other guys in the NBA who you just give a blank check to when they say they want to play for you.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kyrie, IMO, is worth a max, given that you can cater a team towards his strengths. Obviously Boston has not been a good fit, but how much of that is actually Kyrie's fault? I've been a big detractor of Kyrie, but not even I can put all the blame on him. He's handled some things poorly that's for sure, but the offense isn't created to play to Kyrie's strengths. That's why things get out of whack and his teammates get pissed because they're used to playing a different brand of basketball. Kyrie is elite at what he does, only it's not required of him in Boston.

Given a blank slate, I would highly considering maxing Kyrie, but there are definitely lots of caveats that come with it. It wouldn't be as easy as some of the other guys in the NBA who you just give a blank check to when they say they want to play for you.
you cannot expect Kyrie to be your leader and a guy that the other guys rally around.

Mostly becuase he is fairly insane and has no self awareness. Iwas listening to a Bill Simmons podcast hte other day and he was like- I was watching Kyrie try to lecture to Jaylen Brown about something he did wrong and it looked like Brown wanted to punch him in the face.

Kyrie is just so stupid- one second he is saying how he doesnt want all the attention- the next second he is making feature films.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you cannot expect Kyrie to be your leader and a guy that the other guys rally around.

Mostly becuase he is fairly insane and has no self awareness. Iwas listening to a Bill Simmons podcast hte other day and he was like- I was watching Kyrie try to lecture to Jaylen Brown about something he did wrong and it looked like Brown wanted to punch him in the face.

Kyrie is just so stupid- one second he is saying how he doesnt want all the attention- the next second he is making feature films.

I kind of miss when you just posted Kyrie's resume to threads where people talked shit about him. LOL. I'm kidding though.

Yeah, and that's why I said he's worth the max, given you're able to put guys around him. Honestly Draymond Green is the type of dude who needs to be paired with Kyrie. He'll do the dirty work, he'll be the vocal leader, and he'll let Kyrie just do what he does and ball.

Kyrie's all world talent, somewhere in my opinion of the top 15 in the NBA and he's still young. It's a chess board with adding a piece like him. You have to make sure the other pieces fit him and also make sure that he's in a position to use his full ability.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I kind of miss when you just posted Kyrie's resume to threads where people talked shit about him. LOL. I'm kidding though.

Yeah, and that's why I said he's worth the max, given you're able to put guys around him. Honestly Draymond Green is the type of dude who needs to be paired with Kyrie. He'll do the dirty work, he'll be the vocal leader, and he'll let Kyrie just do what he does and ball.

Kyrie's all world talent, somewhere in my opinion of the top 15 in the NBA and he's still young. It's a chess board with adding a piece like him. You have to make sure the other pieces fit him and also make sure that he's in a position to use his full ability.
Celtics just had way too many guys that need playing time on that team

no one is happy.

Plus- they need to play Hayward to get his legs under him- but hes kind of playing like shit most of the time which makes it even harder.

they should have dealt Morris and Rozier for some future picks/assets while their value was higher.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. I had the Celtics coming out of the East and flyerhawk and maybe @tlance are the only ones that I remember casting any doubt on the Celtics.
That said, there's still time left. Historically they wouldnt be the first team to ever struggle with finding a groove and then figuring it out for the playoffs. It's not like they suck, they are still a playoff team and a potentially dangerous one.

But it's not the way I'd bet

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

no one is happy.

Yep, they're only allowed to play with one ball and when everyone wants it, it can be tough.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, they're only allowed to play with one ball and when everyone wants it, it can be tough.

I remember when this was the narrative of the Warriors, lol.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah but I think Boston is overrated. Tatum is a stud. Jaylen is a good young player but not really thriving this year. I've never been a fan of Horford. Hayward isn't himself after the injury. All that isn't including how they just can't seem to find chemistry, is it Kyrie's fault...maybe some of it but he is still a max player and some team will pay him max. He just needs to be in the right situation.
A guy like Lebron was actually perfect for him, it's so funny he thought he could be the man. Wow was he wrong and he fucked up bad.

Boston has too many guys trying to get their own shot instead of playing together. It was all fine and good late last year with Kyrie and Hayward out, as it opened up a lot of minutes for the hungry younger players. This season they have to revert to supporting roles and fewer minutes, just as some of them are nearing extension/FA time.

Kyrie has always been a guy who needs the ball a lot (and looks for his own shot more than your typical PG), which certainly doesn't make the situation better. He thought changing teams (to step out from behind Lebron) would allow him more opportunities, which it has, but it isn't helping the team as much as he could if he stepped back his role a bit.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

no one is happy.

Plus- they need to play Hayward to get his legs under him- but hes kind of playing like shit most of the time which makes it even harder.

they should have dealt Morris and Rozier for some future picks/assets while their value was higher.

They're going to need Rozier next year.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh sure everyone is now saying they always knew Boston had problems. Except no one said that at season's start. I think @flyerhawk gets some credit for saying he didn't think adding Kyrie and Hayward to the mix would be as great as everyone thought. But the rest of us had no clue.

Again, this is what makes the NBA fun. No one knows the future, and even if the Warriors win another title as expected there are still surprises like the Lakers, Celtics, Nets, Kings, Nuggets etc to enjoy (or hate)

I was the one who said that. Many times.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was the one who said that. Many times.

We were both saying it. I was pretty boisterous in my opinion that you can, in fact, have too many mouths to feed.

And a lot of people kept saying that the Celtics were going to play positionless basketball so it wasn't a big deal that they had 6 guys all vying to play the swing.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That said, there's still time left. Historically they wouldnt be the first team to ever struggle with finding a groove and then figuring it out for the playoffs. It's not like they suck, they are still a playoff team and a potentially dangerous one.

But it's not the way I'd bet

They definitely could still make a run. But right now they are facing the possibility of having to go through Philly, Toronto, AND Milwaukee to get to the finals. That is an awful lot to ask of any team especially one that has chemistry issues.

BrockForBroglio

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally, I would rather have Tatum over Irving. I heard the talk of Tatum and others for AD and didn't like that scenerio.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We were both saying it. I was pretty boisterous in my opinion that you can, in fact, have too many mouths to feed.

And a lot of people kept saying that the Celtics were going to play positionless basketball so it wasn't a big deal that they had 6 guys all vying to play the swing.

As a Boston hater (lol) I said something similar. Depth is great, but taking minutes away from productive players to give to returning players doesn't net 100% of the returning players. Stacking talent leads to underutilized talent.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally, I would rather have Tatum over Irving. I heard the talk of Tatum and others for AD and didn't like that scenerio.

That will be the cost for AD this summer though. The plan was to pair AD with Kyrie. However, Kyrie is a free agent and certainly is not acting like someone eager to re-sign.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a Boston hater (lol) I said something similar. Depth is great, but taking minutes away from productive players to give to returning players doesn't net 100% of the returning players. Stacking talent leads to underutilized talent.

Underutilized and resentful.

The reports I've read recently have said that the Celtics locker room is like a wake. No one talks to each other.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My biggest concern way Hayward’s health. No one comes back from that 100% on day 1.

No one.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Underutilized and resentful.

The reports I've read recently have said that the Celtics locker room is like a wake. No one talks to each other.

Well, a lot of that could resolve itself this summer if Kyrie leaves. They will need to re-sign Rozier of course. The wing glut could be thinned out by an AD trade, or maybe some other move if Ainge decides to hold onto Tatum.