• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Free agent targets Offseason Armchair GM Thread

Likewall32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Surprisingly good interview with Wilson on 95.7 this afternoon. He was pretty straight forward and open with info. A couple highlights:

- Admitted again that the team was too passive

- Blamed the players for "playing the way they wanted to play, not the way they needed to play."

- He thought Marleau was one of the better players in the PO's and that he is an intergral part of the team. Reading between the lines: Marleau isn't going anywhere.

So how does the most passive player that plays the way he wants get the most praise? Thats pretty contridicting. And also DWil needs to get off Niemis nuts. that cup run was 3 seasons ago and he had 1 good series that postseason. Yea of corse on paper a guy you know what your getting is a better option then someone Wilson hardly ever starts, but if you can get something valuable for Niemi, pull the damn trigger. Id still like to see him packaged to Edm for that #1 pick.

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So how does the most passive player that plays the way he wants get the most praise? Thats pretty contridicting. And also DWil needs to get off Niemis nuts. that cup run was 3 seasons ago and he had 1 good series that postseason. Yea of corse on paper a guy you know what your getting is a better option then someone Wilson hardly ever starts, but if you can get something valuable for Niemi, pull the damn trigger. Id still like to see him packaged to Edm for that #1 pick.

One thing I hated about how the coaching staff treated Niemi was how they coddled him and revolved their defensive strategy around Niemi's shortcomings. Mainly his rebound control, or lack of it.

imo, the biggest reason to play that passive defensive style we all hated to watch was to keep inside position and sweep away rebounds. This means allowing teams to pass the puck around the perimeter all they want while staying in between the opposition player and the net. At some point, accountability needs to fall on Niemi to handle his shit and stop spraying rebounds.

I hope you didn't mean to package Niemi as the centerpiece in a move for the #1 overall pick. It would have to be something like Niemi + Couture + Demers/Braun.

I'm going attribute Neimi's crappy regular season play to enjoying himself too much during the offseason of 2011. He just signed a nice fat contract so he did what all players do: Take an offseason off to get fat and celebrate the multi year deal.

Stackem

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Surprisingly good interview with Wilson on 95.7 this afternoon. He was pretty straight forward and open with info. A couple highlights:

- Admitted again that the team was too passive

- They didn't transition the new players very well. Made reference to having too much turnover last offseason

- Blamed the players for "playing the way they wanted to play, not the way they needed to play."

- The team won't be going through a rebuild

- He thought Marleau was one of the better players in the PO's and that he is an intergral part of the team. Reading between the lines: Marleau isn't going anywhere.

- Called Niemi a much better option in goal than Griess referencing Niemi's cup run. Again reading between the lines: Niemi probably not going anywhere.

- Last but not least, Sharks are out of the Nash sweeps unless Howson drops his asking price dramatically.

Didn't hear the interview, but not impressed. History has now proven, Dougie is good at the offseason tough talk. Blah, blah, blah, way to be a politican. Talk tough, blame other people, take no accountability yourself, and pander to your constituents.

Guess what, when year over year you face the same issues of passive play, too many passive players, not integrating them properly, and to much player turn over, which of your own admission are issues.. Those are ALL ultimatley the responsability of management to execute on and/or resolve. That's not a player issue anymore (you know what you have), that is a lack of willingness and/or ability to make the necessary changes by management.

How about take a look in the mirror Dougie... That's a good place to start.

Likewall32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
One thing I hated about how the coaching staff treated Niemi was how they coddled him and revolved their defensive strategy around Niemi's shortcomings. Mainly his rebound control, or lack of it.

imo, the biggest reason to play that passive defensive style we all hated to watch was to keep inside position and sweep away rebounds. This means allowing teams to pass the puck around the perimeter all they want while staying in between the opposition player and the net. At some point, accountability needs to fall on Niemi to handle his shit and stop spraying rebounds.

I hope you didn't mean to package Niemi as the centerpiece in a move for the #1 overall pick. It would have to be something like Niemi + Couture + Demers/Braun.

I'm going attribute Neimi's crappy regular season play to enjoying himself too much during the offseason of 2011. He just signed a nice fat contract so he did what all players do: Take an offseason off to get fat and celebrate the multi year deal.

No, couture is untouchable. I posted a trade awhile ago, I think its in this tread somewhere and included Marleau, Niemi, SJ 1st rndr, Boyle. some combination of that.

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On NHL Tonight Wilson stated all UFA's will be allowed to shop thier services

... except for Torrey Mitchell, who will be resigned at $3.5M/year because.. well.. he's fucking FAST yo! :p

In all seriousness though... only UFA I'm bummed about is Winnik... sounds like he won't even be offered a contract. Probably wants too much ($2-2.5+)?

abaskin18

Oilman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
... except for Torrey Mitchell, who will be resigned at $3.5M/year because.. well.. he's fucking FAST yo! :p

In all seriousness though... only UFA I'm bummed about is Winnik... sounds like he won't even be offered a contract. Probably wants too much ($2-2.5+)?

Are you basing that on something I haven't read or heard yet or is it just that resigning him would be a good thing in your view so DW will do the opposite?

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, sorry, just basing it on korky's "all UFAs will be allowed to shop their services" DW quote... which I'm reading/interpreting as "I'm not interested in re-signing any of the UFAs, Winnik included."

abaskin18

Oilman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, sorry, just basing it on korky's "all UFAs will be allowed to shop their services" DW quote... which I'm reading/interpreting as "I'm not interested in re-signing any of the UFAs, Winnik included."

Makes sense. I actually thought that quote was funny. "Oh, how considerate of DW to allow the UFAs test the market instead of keeping them in a jar in his basement."

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah the only one I'd be bummed about is Winnik and possibly Vandermeer. If Winnik wants above $2 I think the Sharks should spend that on scoring depth as opposed to an exceptional defensive forward, which is what I consider Winnik.

Vandy I would welcome back at $1, but I wouldn't be happy if I was Vandy after being jerked around as a 4th line forward.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Apparently Bobby Ryan is back on the trade block. I know its intradivision, but the sharks and ducks have traded before. Ryan is my idea of a perfect player for dougie to acquire. Powerful, tough, big, fast, great scorer, perfect age, and great contract at 5M per for another 3 years. I dunno what the ducks would want for him but Id be open to everyone other than cooch. Any package of our young D demers/braun/vlasic, any prospect, any picks. I'd much prefer him than nash since I see them as similar players but Ryan is nearly 3M cheaper.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
On NHL Tonight Wilson stated all UFA's will be allowed to shop thier services

Didn't see what he said on NHL tonight but Kurz posted this quote from Wilson on the subject -

I’m not going to give you names, but there are probably five or six that we will not be negotiating with prior to July 1.

He doesn't specify UFA or RFA but that quote would suggest there are some he's looking to re-sign.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Didn't see what he said on NHL tonight but Kurz posted this quote from Wilson on the subject -

He doesn't specify UFA or RFA but that quote would suggest there are some he's looking to re-sign.

On NHL Tonight he said he was speaking with all RFA's and 3 are close to signing i believe. UFA's not at all

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, there are only 5 RFA's (Braun, Desjardins, Ferreiro, Galliardi, Wingels) and I sure hope the 3 he's resigning are Braun/Desjardins and one of Ferreiro/Wingels.

Galliardi is Garbagdi.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
On NHL Tonight he said he was speaking with all RFA's and 3 are close to signing i believe. UFA's not at all

I'm surprised he's not trying hard to bring back Winnik. Though, Winnik was one of the more vocal players in his dislike for the system the team ran. It may be a case of him not wanting to come back.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Well, there are only 5 RFA's (Braun, Desjardins, Ferreiro, Galliardi, Wingels) and I sure hope the 3 he's resigning are Braun/Desjardins and one of Ferreiro/Wingels.

Galliardi is Garbagdi.

Im hoping its Braun,Desjardins and most likely Wingels. Fairy Oh can walk and i think it would be stupid if Dwill didnt atleast throw Galliardi atleast a quailfying offer, its a low risk high reward situation if he can regain his form

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm surprised he's not trying hard to bring back Winnik. Though, Winnik was one of the more vocal players in his dislike for the system the team ran. It may be a case of him not wanting to come back.

Yeah i was pretty shocked with that as well, i figured he'd be offering Winnik and Moore something but i guess not. He did mention that UFA situation is a two way street, a player can see what's out there and the team can see what players become available. So you never know.

He also mentioned Desjardins and Braun quite a bit in the interview and the need for a winger, he said the defense is now set with 3 righties and 3 lefties

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im hoping its Braun,Desjardins and most likely Wingels. Fairy Oh can walk and i think it would be stupid if Dwill didnt atleast throw Galliardi atleast a quailfying offer, its a low risk high reward situation if he can regain his form

I'm not seeing much of any kind of reward when it comes to that guy. He's completely lost and useless out there. Parties all the time (see his twitter feed). Sucks at the hockey. His head just must not be into it. If I see it, I'd hope management/scouts would be able to tell Dougie the same. I pray.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm not seeing much of any kind of reward when it comes to that guy. He's completely lost and useless out there. Parties all the time (see his twitter feed). Sucks at the hockey. His head just must not be into it. If I see it, I'd hope management/scouts would be able to tell Dougie the same. I pray.

I was unaware he was Patrick Kaneing it up around town

Slimpikins

Well, fuck it
Hoopla Cash
$ 330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He had better bring back Wingels. I like that kids game and I want to see if he can take the next step this year.