• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Mariners arm-chair GM offseason thread

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Ryon being injured was the reason we did not make the playoffs this year" -Jerry D

Have to wonder if the Athletics knew about this injury when they traded him. Ryon isn't highly regarded, but his statistics at the plate, his salary, and his age make me think he's a solid 1B and we got him for not all that much.

Hope it's not bad because we realistically don't have a serious replacement at 1B unless we move Cano to 1B, Gordon to 2B, and find a new centerfielder. I think JD should seriously consider re-signing Jarrod Dyson. He's still a free agent, and at worst he can be a 4th outfielder/running replacement for us.

Personally I'd try to land Dyson on a 1 year deal and have Heredia continue to develop in AAA. Heredia's approach at the plate I think still needs a lot of work. Additionally, even if Ryon Healy is fine by the regular season, the front office needs to acknowledge that Haniger is injury prone and Ben Gamel is a candidate for serious regression. I'd like to have a good fourth outfielder and feel as if Dyson can fill that role. Whoever our 4th outfielder is, I think will see a lot of playing time. I have a feeling that Gamel will be putting up putrid numbers and need to be replaced a few months in. Dyson could cover CF and we could move Dee Gordon to one of the corners if Gamel is playing poorly and/or Haniger gets hurt.

With our team, I think a good 4th outfielder is a must. I like Heredia's potential, but he needs a lot of adjustments with his swing.

I'm also biased because I really like Dyson a lot. I think he was by far the most underrated player on the team. Dude can steal bases like nobody else and was phenomenal in CF. I'm surprised nobody has given him a deal.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally I'd try to land Dyson on a 1 year deal and have Heredia continue to develop in AAA. Heredia's approach at the plate I think still needs a lot of work.

I posted this earlier today on the spring training thread:

PEORIA, Ariz. — The Mariners have apparently added another outfielder to their big league spring training to provide some experienced depth in the organization.

Junior Lake, a veteran outfielder from the Dominican Republic, has a locker and a jersey in the Mariners’ big league clubhouse. Manager Scott Servais said that Lake has agreed to a minor league contract with an invite to spring training. The deal will become official if/when Lake passes his physical upon arriving to Arizona.

-------------------------

Cheaper than signing a real MLB outfielder.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

PEORIA, Ariz. — The Mariners have apparently added another outfielder to their big league spring training to provide some experienced depth in the organization.

Junior Lake, a veteran outfielder from the Dominican Republic, has a locker and a jersey in the Mariners’ big league clubhouse. Manager Scott Servais said that Lake has agreed to a minor league contract with an invite to spring training. The deal will become official if/when Lake passes his physical upon arriving to Arizona.

source.gif

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd love to have Dyson back. He exceeded my expectations and when the dude got on base it energized the fans and team. I wanted him back regardless, and with how the team is constructed I'd like them to have a great pinch runner and defensive replacement for Gordon.

The thing with Healy that bugs me is how in the frick did the Mariners just find out about his hand. If there was something not right about any body part the player should've contacted the team and used their world class medical staff. An extreme difference but reminds me of the whole Guti disconnect from the team.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd love to have Dyson back. He exceeded my expectations and when the dude got on base it energized the fans and team. I wanted him back regardless, and with how the team is constructed I'd like them to have a great pinch runner and defensive replacement for Gordon.

The thing with Healy that bugs me is how in the frick did the Mariners just find out about his hand. If there was something not right about any body part the player should've contacted the team and used their world class medical staff. An extreme difference but reminds me of the whole Guti disconnect from the team.

That's what I was thinking. Shouldn't the injury have come up during the physical?

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what I was thinking. Shouldn't the injury have come up during the physical?

I'm not sure, everything I've heard about it since last night and today portrays is as Healy told them but they chose to let him just WrestleMania him instead of surgery. I posted this on one of the other threads, but I'm not a medical expert but it seems much better to surgically clean up bone spurs than try to let them heal on their own.

FirebreathingMonkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Don't know a single thing about him nor do I care to look it up. Is he even a viable option for the OF spot I was talking to @seahawksfan234 about. They need a pinch runner that is versatile and need a defensive replacement for Gordon still.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mariners among teams in attendance for ex-Husky Tim Lincecum’s showcase in Kent

Mariners among teams in attendance for ex-Husky Tim Lincecum’s showcase in Kent

There that should shut up those people who think we still need pitching help.

Man Seattle is so screwed this season. :L:L:L

Over under 20 years without being in the playoffs.

I'm taking over 25.:L

Have some faith, Jerry won't sign him. He will wait for another team to sign him then trade Kyle Lewis for Lincecum.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't know a single thing about him nor do I care to look it up. Is he even a viable option for the OF spot I was talking to @seahawksfan234 about. They need a pinch runner that is versatile and need a defensive replacement for Gordon still.

I had never heard of him. Had to google search him.

We don't have a pinch running or defensive replacement for Gordon. Huge fan of Jarrod Dyson. Guy only made $2.8m last year. Can't imagine it would take us more to land him. I'm honestly surprised he hasn't been signed yet. He doesn't offer much at the plate, but is one of the best defensive centerfielders out there and a great base runner.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had never heard of him. Had to google search him.

We don't have a pinch running or defensive replacement for Gordon. Huge fan of Jarrod Dyson. Guy only made $2.8m last year. Can't imagine it would take us more to land him. I'm honestly surprised he hasn't been signed yet. He doesn't offer much at the plate, but is one of the best defensive centerfielders out there and a great base runner.

Ya, this is why I liked your idea. Dyson is the almost the perfect definition of what the Mariners, IMO desperately. They have Cruz, Cano, Seager, Zunino etc that need a PR late in games and until Gordon can prove he isn't a liability in CF I'd prefer they'd bring in a guy like Dyson. The bullpen is suppose to be great, but in case they aren't A plus like Jerry and most pundits say it'd be nice not having a glaring hole defensively in CF. Plus Dyson has a good arm so it's not like it'd be putting Johnny Damon out there.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya, this is why I liked your idea. Dyson is the almost the perfect definition of what the Mariners, IMO desperately. They have Cruz, Cano, Seager, Zunino etc that need a PR late in games and until Gordon can prove he isn't a liability in CF I'd prefer they'd bring in a guy like Dyson. The bullpen is suppose to be great, but in case they aren't A plus like Jerry and most pundits say it'd be nice not having a glaring hole defensively in CF. Plus Dyson has a good arm so it's not like it'd be putting Johnny Damon out there.

Also I'd just prefer Dyson as our fourth outfielder because I think Heredia needs some adjustments. @NWinAZ also noticed the fact that Heredia swings the bat like he never went through little leagues. His swing needs a lot of adjustments. I'm surprised his BA was as high as it was.

If Jerry wants to really play this game of rotations, might as well also apply it to the outfield as well. Dyson offers great value as a replacement. With Gamel being a huge question mark, Haniger's injury concerns, not to mention the fact that we don't know how Gordon will do at CF, Dyson sounds like a really good deal. I'm willing to bet that our opening day 4th outfielder will play 90+ games.

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Haniger injury speculation is getting a little overblown at times. Granted he missed a bunch time with the oblique. But his only other stint on the DL was because he took a FB to the face. I just don't see how he can be labeled injury prone.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I was being bad on that. He is a former highly ranked prospect that flamed out before making it. A perfect DIP signing.

Here is a quick preview of him:

Lake started at left field on Opening Day in 2014. He hit his 7th and 8th home runs of the season in a game against the Miami Marlins on June 7, it was his second career multi-homerun game. After hitting just .216 with 9 home runs for the Cubs in 2014, Lake was optioned back to the Triple-A Iowa Cubs on August 16.

Lake spent the majority of the 2015 season in Triple-A for the Cubs. He was called up and played in 21 games for the Cubs due to numerous injuries in the outfield.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was being bad on that. He is a former highly ranked prospect that flamed out before making it. A perfect DIP signing.

Here is a quick preview of him:

Lake started at left field on Opening Day in 2014. He hit his 7th and 8th home runs of the season in a game against the Miami Marlins on June 7, it was his second career multi-homerun game. After hitting just .216 with 9 home runs for the Cubs in 2014, Lake was optioned back to the Triple-A Iowa Cubs on August 16.

Lake spent the majority of the 2015 season in Triple-A for the Cubs. He was called up and played in 21 games for the Cubs due to numerous injuries in the outfield.

Dang, sounds like a deadline deal Jerry would make. Shocker he got him off the market so quick.