• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Mariners arm-chair GM offseason thread

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need pitching, but I'll take any upgrade we can get.

Mariners already project to have a pretty good lineup even without J.D. Martinez. Mariners sure would have one hell of a lineup if we add Martinez.

Ya, but it sounds more like the writers fantasy article than reality. But I agree any improvement is improvement though he would cost more than pitching so...? #TheMarinerWay

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya, but it sounds more like the writers fantasy article than reality. But I agree any improvement is improvement though he would cost more than pitching so...? #TheMarinerWay

That's the way I read it as well. He is merely listing 5 teams where he thinks Martinez would fit, not that he has inside information of the Mariners being interested. But yeah I am honestly not a Gamel believer but I had kind of accepted there wouldn't be an improvement there. I'd rather get a proven guy rather then someone who had six good weeks last year that was mainly due to an absurdly high BABIP.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well, you could rationalize it as a long-term move. Cruz is getting up there in age and once he's gone, the Mariners will need a power bat going forward. I'd prefer the money being allocated towards pitching, but Martinez could make sense as a replacement for Cruz. Had Martinez been a free agent next offseason, I would imagine he'd be a top priority for the Mariners as a replacement for Cruz.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the way I read it as well. He is merely listing 5 teams where he thinks Martinez would fit, not that he has inside information of the Mariners being interested. But yeah I am honestly not a Gamel believer but I had kind of accepted there wouldn't be an improvement there. I'd rather get a proven guy rather then someone who had six good weeks last year that was mainly due to an absurdly high BABIP.

I wish we would've traded him when his value was at his peak.

First 58 games: .342/.398/.480
Final 76 games: .222/.258/.359

As you mentioned, he had an absurdly high BABIP, which can be confirmed as a reason for his inflated stats at the beginning of the season.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, you could rationalize it as a long-term move. Cruz is getting up there in age and once he's gone, the Mariners will need a power bat going forward. I'd prefer the money being allocated towards pitching, but Martinez could make sense as a replacement for Cruz. Had Martinez been a free agent next offseason, I would imagine he'd be a top priority for the Mariners as a replacement for Cruz.

I agree with what you are saying, but M's don't play for the future...or the present...just the past.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just heard about it so haven't had a chance to read the article. I hope Jerry isn't this dumb, upgrading the offense isn't going to fix the glaring weakness.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree, and I wouldn't be against the signing just doesn't make sense to raise their payroll to the highest it has ever been and still need a historical year from the pitching staff to make the WS.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just heard about it so haven't had a chance to read the article. I hope Jerry isn't this dumb, upgrading the offense isn't going to fix the glaring weakness.

If you can't out pitch the opponent, try to out slug them. Might as well go this route since the quest for starting pitching seems to be dead.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you can't out pitch the opponent, try to out slug them. Might as well go this route since the quest for starting pitching seems to be dead.

I'd say that is a good philosophy, except the Mariners play at Safeco 81 times a year. In Jack Z's last year didnt the Mariners set a record for home runs at Safeco and still finished below .500? I don't know, I'd love them to sign Martinez but makes zero sense they'd be willing to sign him, blocking Gamel/Heredia, let alone then Lewis doesn't have a position with him, Gordon and Haniger. Yet Jerry doesn't want to sign a pitcher because it blocks AAAA guys.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with what you are saying, but M's don't play for the future...or the present...just the past.

Unfortunately, that's the case. I think that J.D. would be a good immediate/long-term move. He would be able to provide the bat we'd be losing with Cruz.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, and I wouldn't be against the signing just doesn't make sense to raise their payroll to the highest it has ever been and still need a historical year from the pitching staff to make the WS.

I agree regarding the pitching issue. Position players are less of a risk though.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree regarding the pitching issue. Position players are less of a risk though.

Completely agree, like I said I wouldn't be upset whatsoever but just like with the Gordon deal it would go completely against everything Jerry has said. I can't imagine not blocking, Moore, Gonzalez, Ramirez and Miranda is more important than blocking the combo of Gamel, Heredia, Lewis and most likely another position switch for Haniger.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say that is a good philosophy, except the Mariners play at Safeco 81 times a year. In Jack Z's last year didnt the Mariners set a record for home runs at Safeco and still finished below .500? I don't know, I'd love them to sign Martinez but makes zero sense they'd be willing to sign him, blocking Gamel/Heredia, let alone then Lewis doesn't have a position with him, Gordon and Haniger. Yet Jerry doesn't want to sign a pitcher because it blocks AAAA guys.

True points. Without pitching, this season is already doomed.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Completely agree, like I said I wouldn't be upset whatsoever but just like with the Gordon deal it would go completely against everything Jerry has said. I can't imagine not blocking, Moore, Gonzalez, Ramirez and Miranda is more important than blocking the combo of Gamel, Heredia, Lewis and most likely another position switch for Haniger.

As much as I wanted Darvish or Arrieta, there are a lot of question marks regarding both of them relative to the money we'd be giving them.

When it comes to free agency, I think it's a much safer bet going after position players. If we want pitchers, I think the trade market is a better place to go after premium pitching. Unfortunately it seems that JD is comfortable with what we have in the rotation right now.

I think his philosophy now is that he wants to build a lineup that will compensate for the lack of pitching. Assuming there are no major regressions or injuries, the Mariners should actually have a pretty fun lineup to watch.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True points. Without pitching, this season is already doomed.

I think the hope is that the hitting will compensate for the pitching deficiencies. Unfortunately, I think the Mariners front office thinks our current rotation/bullpen is better than it is.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the hope is that the hitting will compensate for the pitching deficiencies. Unfortunately, I think the Mariners front office thinks our current rotation/bullpen is better than it is.

Well i hope this offense can put up 6-10 runs per game cause the pitching is going to give up their fair share and any hitting slump they go in is going to rack up a long losing streak. If the pitching falls off the cliff early and often, the FO better be wiped out for sheer stupidity of not addressing the biggest need of the team.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well i hope this offense can put up 6-10 runs per game cause the pitching is going to give up their fair share and any hitting slump they go in is going to rack up a long losing streak. If the pitching falls off the cliff early and often, the FO better be wiped out for sheer stupidity of not addressing the biggest need of the team.

On the bright side, we will have a lot of high scoring games.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as I wanted Darvish or Arrieta, there are a lot of question marks regarding both of them relative to the money we'd be giving them.

When it comes to free agency, I think it's a much safer bet going after position players. If we want pitchers, I think the trade market is a better place to go after premium pitching. Unfortunately it seems that JD is comfortable with what we have in the rotation right now.

I think his philosophy now is that he wants to build a lineup that will compensate for the lack of pitching. Assuming there are no major regressions or injuries, the Mariners should actually have a pretty fun lineup to watch.

Completely agree with giving big money to pitchers is more risky, except my frustration is this off-season the market isn't leaving any long term risk at all. No one is going to get long term contracts which is right in the Mariners wheel house as an organization. Not Jerry's fault but as an organization their contracts are set up for a little window. If I were an owner I'd rather pony up short term deals for pitchers now. All of their big contracts are essentially dead money since they aren't going to make a playoff run.

I would understand the philosophy of building a lineup, if not for my big frustration which is the market. Their isn't a bidding war for these guys like (from the looks of it) next year's crop. No fan wanted Arrietta or Darvish because they were suppose to get huge long term deals, on a 1 year deal I am totally fine with either. If they are going to waste another year of Cano's, Seagers, Felix, Cruz and technically now Segura's contract why not another $15 mil?

Like I said, it's just a frustration I am having as the market is ripe for a team like Seattle that needs pitching but is in limbo of going for it or rebuilding. But this is also why I would probably be a bad owner or GM (though I think I would be on par with Jerry)

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well maybe wipe out what I was saying with the market if Darvish is really getting that long of a deal...I retract all of my frustration if teams are going to give long term deals.