• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Mariners arm-chair GM offseason thread

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he straight up said that the m's starting rotation is as good as any non-playoff team's from last year

pure turds tumble out of his mouth

Yea and that's asinine. Without even looking I know Tampa and Toronto's are better. If the Royals hang onto Duffy I think they may be better. Twins look like they will sign a starter so im tempted to put them ahead too. Its at best a middle of the rotation IF everything goes well. Yes I used that IF word

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are articles out there stating both that the Mariners playoff window is still open and others saying that it is closing fast. My question is, 'When was it ever open?'.

Depends what window we are talking about. The window of 75-85 wins has been open for a while and will likely stay open with this ownership group. Keep em relevant enough to make money.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea and that's asinine. Without even looking I know Tampa and Toronto's are better. If the Royals hang onto Duffy I think they may be better. Twins look like they will sign a starter so im tempted to put them ahead too. Its at best a middle of the rotation IF everything goes well. Yes I used that IF word

On paper, Seattle's top 3 starters are solid with Paxton being arguably one of the best pitchers in baseball. Problem is he and Felix haven't proven they can pitch a full season in years. I don't remember was year it was where they were in contention in September then Felix fell apart in September. 4-5 (maybe 6) he was talking as though Marco, Erasmo and Moore are doing breakout years even though I'd take Miranda over any of those 3. So Jerry is banking on Paxton and Felix pitching a full year and the other guys pitching 7 innings like they pitch 3 innings.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kind of bs. A ton of owners are in it just to make money otherwise teams like the Pirates, Padres, Ray's etc wouldn't receive $40 million or whatever it is from the other high budget clubs.. But owners have finally hired economical guys to be in charge of their organizations, hence why this off-season has been crazy and noone really signing for big money. Seager is making more money in a year than Frazier just signed for his two year deal. No way to prove collusion but that is what is going on to quit giving older players Carlos Silva/Chone Figgins type contracts. Shorter deals and less money, so if he doesn't work out you can actually trade him instead of dealing him and paying for most of his contract just to get a C level prospect.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
20 years ago they threatened to move the team to Tampa, now it is all the ex-scrub Mariners moving there.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
heyman, rosenthal, and a bunch of others are talking about ownership groups that don't give a fuck about winning, thus all of the FA's sitting around waiting to sign contracts, and players losing arbitration battles.

don't get me wrong, i have no sympathy for the FA's not getting the money they want to play with little balls.

but the m's ARE one of the teams that heyman and rosenthal are talking about.

the new owners and lackey GM say all of the right things, and know they can get away with it. why? because m's fans have fallen for it for 15+ years, they're raking in the bucks from the Root media contract, and they have no incentive to do anything other than go through the motions with hiring meaningless new "doctors of high performance" and putting out press releases about really wanting please M's fans with a postseason appearance. what a crock of fucking shit.

the astros are our antithesis. their owners signed a lucrative contract right around the same time as nintendo, but they put a lot of revenue back into building a contender the right way. the m's new owners are no more into that type of commitment to winning than nintendo was. i'm sorry if it's distressing, but it's true.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'm sorry if it's distressing, but it's true.
Pretty sure most on this board if not all pretty much agree and understand everything you said. The "fans" that sits in Business Suites or College Frat guys that sit in the beer garden with their back to the game may not care or understand. Unfortunately that makes up most of the fans that goes to games these days.
The Ohtani thing still bugs me like AZ pointed out. Either they were interested because he was cheap or it was strictly for PR purposes. Otherwise they would be trying to address the rotation spot he would have filled.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yankees acquire Russell Wilson in trade with Rangers

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty sure most on this board if not all pretty much agree and understand everything you said. The "fans" that sits in Business Suites or College Frat guys that sit in the beer garden with their back to the game may not care or understand. Unfortunately that makes up most of the fans that goes to games these days.
The Ohtani thing still bugs me like AZ pointed out. Either they were interested because he was cheap or it was strictly for PR purposes. Otherwise they would be trying to address the rotation spot he would have filled.

I know I have written this before but it is infuriating that this off-season is set up perfectly for Seattle. They need pitching, there are pitchers out there and their isn't a bidding war driving up the salaries. The market isn't making teams have to make a Carlos Silva deal. Young controllable players are nice and all, but the goal is to win the world series, not trying to develop pitchers at the big league level.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yankees acquire Russell Wilson in trade with Rangers

Just heard this, I still am shocked the Mariners haven't dealt for him. It'd be a PR move and if nothing else, this one farm system where he could be considered a top 100 guy even if he can't hit.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just heard this, I still am shocked the Mariners haven't dealt for him. It'd be a PR move and if nothing else, this one farm system where he could be considered a top 100 guy even if he can't hit.

My brother and I were texting about this when news came out. They can't even do this right...

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why? What would make you think the Mariners want a proven winner anywhere near their organization?

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why? What would make you think the Mariners want a proven winner anywhere near their organization?

True, but it's a win-win for both parties. A. It gets casual Seahawks fans to talk about the Mariners. B. If Russell actually did want to achieve his goal of playing, the Mariners could actually use him as a bench player to appease his dream and sell tickets. Don't play him but have him on the bench with the chance he will play and fill the ball park. They haven't had any good press since the O'Neill trade so what the hell. Ohtani would've been a novelty so why not Russ?