• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Mariners arm-chair GM offseason thread

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Completely agree with giving big money to pitchers is more risky, except my frustration is this off-season the market isn't leaving any long term risk at all. No one is going to get long term contracts which is right in the Mariners wheel house as an organization. Not Jerry's fault but as an organization their contracts are set up for a little window. If I were an owner I'd rather pony up short term deals for pitchers now. All of their big contracts are essentially dead money since they aren't going to make a playoff run.

I would understand the philosophy of building a lineup, if not for my big frustration which is the market. Their isn't a bidding war for these guys like (from the looks of it) next year's crop. No fan wanted Arrietta or Darvish because they were suppose to get huge long term deals, on a 1 year deal I am totally fine with either. If they are going to waste another year of Cano's, Seagers, Felix, Cruz and technically now Segura's contract why not another $15 mil?

Like I said, it's just a frustration I am having as the market is ripe for a team like Seattle that needs pitching but is in limbo of going for it or rebuilding. But this is also why I would probably be a bad owner or GM (though I think I would be on par with Jerry)

I agree with you regarding the pitchers. It is worth noting that Jerry's hubris is probably getting the best of him. I'm comfortable with Paxton (aside from injuries) and Leake, but I think he has a lot of faith in Macro and Erasmo which is getting the best of him. He was very confused as to the backlash when we traded for Macro, and I hope he's right, but given his stuff and his inability to perform in the majors, I don't think he will ever be a guy you can rely on for 7 innings and 3 runs.

Who out there do you think we could nab for a 1 year deal that is better than Marco/Erasmo? That's my biggest question.

I just hope that Jerry is out the door after this season. I feel bad for whoever is going to have to clean up the mess he left. Worst farm system in baseball and an aging core.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cobb, Lynn and Arrietta should all be available on 1 year deals if things kept up..but the Darvish deal kind of threw a monkey wrench. My thinking is that this off-season no teams are spending boat loads of money and saving it for next off season. If two off seasons happen in a row where no money is flying the MLBPA will threaten a strike. They gave owners a majority of everything they wanted under the assumption that all the money they left on the table would go into the free agent pool so the players still get their share of the pie.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who out there do you think we could nab for a 1 year deal that is better than Marco/Erasmo? That's my biggest question.
Shoot even guys like a Vargas or a Cashner would be better then what we got. It's too bad because I think if we stuck Erasmo in the bullpen then it has a shot at being a really pen. However we insist on keeping him as a starter where his numbers were significantly lower, especially the 2nd time thru an order.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shoot even guys like a Vargas or a Cashner would be better then what we got. It's too bad because I think if we stuck Erasmo in the bullpen then it has a shot at being a really pen. However we insist on keeping him as a starter where his numbers were significantly lower, especially the 2nd time thru an order.

Kind of where I'm at, guys like this who generally would get way too big of contracts but should be able to get for 1 year $10-15 million. Take your $15 million this year then try again next year when there is going to be a bidding war for the top free agents and you should get a solid contract as a plan B. Plan B's so far aren't getting anything remotely close to normal years.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not familiar with the Mets last season, did the dude pitch while getting the injections? Actually really impressive if he was still pitching.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not familiar with the Mets last season, did the dude pitch while getting the injections? Actually really impressive if he was still pitching.

No, he was coming off a season of major shoulder surgery.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with what you are saying, but M's don't play for the future...or the present...just the past.

True... The M's as an organization just haven't had a plan, look at our farm system, where the @#$^# are all our top draft picks over the last 16 years ? How long does it take to rebuild a franchise back to competitive mode ?

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Honestly that just makes me feel even worse about how we have drafted and developed lately and I had no idea that was possible. Luis Valbuena at first? Asdrubal Cabrera at DH? Aging Choo in the OF? Those are really the best we have drafted at those spots? The rotation is barely better then what it is now if you consider Pineda is hurt most if not all of this year.

ehwq

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Went away hoping by the time I came back we'd have a solid #2 and #3 guy for the rotation.

Typical.:clap:

I'm with @NWinAZ. Let's go Yankees!

Last edited:

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly that just makes me feel even worse about how we have drafted and developed lately and I had no idea that was possible. Luis Valbuena at first? Asdrubal Cabrera at DH? Aging Choo in the OF? Those are really the best we have drafted at those spots? The rotation is barely better then what it is now if you consider Pineda is hurt most if not all of this year.

That was my exact thought. How bad is that list?

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In totality, it's really not a horrible list. Teams always deal their prospects, the list more shows how shitty the front office has been. You had enough talent that has been on the organization that they have accumulated pretty much Segura and Haniger out of the entire list of players that aren't current Mariners.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Non Mariner News, but crazy nonetheless...