• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Mariners arm-chair GM offseason thread

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, but it's a win-win for both parties. A. It gets casual Seahawks fans to talk about the Mariners. B. If Russell actually did want to achieve his goal of playing, the Mariners could actually use him as a bench player to appease his dream and sell tickets. Don't play him but have him on the bench with the chance he will play and fill the ball park. They haven't had any good press since the O'Neill trade so what the hell. Ohtani would've been a novelty so why not Russ?
What you're saying makes sense and I dont disagree, besides having him on the bench, which is something Im sure the Mariners would love just to sell a few extra tickets.

My point is it would make far too much sense and thats not something the Mariners higher ups do too well.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What you're saying makes sense and I dont disagree, besides having him on the bench, which is something Im sure the Mariners would love just to sell a few extra tickets.

My point is it would make far too much sense and thats not something the Mariners higher ups do too well.

I know, it was more of a vent than disagreeing. Logically it makes too much sense, since they'd make money just with the opportunity to see him come in as a defensive replacement or pinch runner.

Nobody gives Deion credit but he was a reason casual Atlanta sports fans started showing up to Braves games even though he wasn't 1/10th the player Brian Jordan was. People showed up and realized, "hey attending baseball games is fun". He didn't contribute to their run, but made baseball fans in a city that doesn't give two cents about baseball. Maybe it's because the Mariners are big and petty opponents of the Sodo Arena that Wilson is apart of now.

Tapey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know, it was more of a vent than disagreeing. Logically it makes too much sense, since they'd make money just with the opportunity to see him come in as a defensive replacement or pinch runner.

Nobody gives Deion credit but he was a reason casual Atlanta sports fans started showing up to Braves games even though he wasn't 1/10th the player Brian Jordan was. People showed up and realized, "hey attending baseball games is fun". He didn't contribute to their run, but made baseball fans in a city that doesn't give two cents about baseball. Maybe it's because the Mariners are big and petty opponents of the Sodo Arena that Wilson is apart of now.
another way they could draw fans without gimmicks and this might be thinking outside the box, but putting a real contender on the field could do it.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
another way they could draw fans without gimmicks and this might be thinking outside the box, but putting a real contender on the field could do it.

Are you new here? LOL!

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If nothing else Russ plays 2nd base. That alone makes him a perfect fit given how many 2nd baseman we love to collect.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not that this has anything to do with Mariners;

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Former Mariner Luiz Gohara ranked #23 in Baseball America's top 100. Kyle Lewis was #67 and Tyler O'Neill was #86.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well we all know they won't do that though. Motter had a great week and they gave him a promotional night. This franchise generally cares more about money than wins, not realizing more wins equals more money.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to add a little

I get that it makes sense to do this, but the MLBPA is going to war with the new guard of front office people and have no leverage. I'm still hoping and praying Jerry with have an epiphany and give a 1 year $10-14 million dollar deal. I'm not sure their luxury tax situation but fudge it, this is the perfect time for them to get a guy at a higher number but a short team deal so it won't hamstring them for the future like the Cano and Felix deals. Heck, even Seagers look like crap compared to what Frazier just got.

Tapey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Non Mariners news

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to imagine the slow market is helping push down the salaries demanded by these players. Would be a great opportunity for JD to swing a deal for a pitcher. I don't believe it's going to happen, but one can dream.

Personally I don't think I've felt this pessimistic about the upcoming season and the future of the franchise. If they remain healthy they're an 85 win or so team. Meanwhile the core players are aging and we have no farm system to speak of. 2019's outlook is likely to be even dimmer than 2018.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally I don't think I've felt this pessimistic about the upcoming season and the future of the franchise.
Yea I think this is a low for me as well. I had said this is the least excited I have been about the start of a season since 2014. We had a GM who should have already been gone with the Ackley, Smoak, Montero trio already having flamed out. Even at that time tho you still had an elite Felix though, with Paxton and Walker to look forward too maybe. This year there is nothing to look forward to now or the future really.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know how to do links but supposedly ESPN is reporting the Mariners are in on JD Martinez.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know how to do links but supposedly ESPN is reporting the Mariners are in on JD Martinez.

Ya about an hour ago a big Mariner fan on twitter posted that but I let it go thinking it was just bs. So more offense is the answer???

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If J.D. Martinez really is 'fed up' with the Red Sox, here are five other fits for him

Here is the M's part:

Seattle Mariners. Desperate times call for desperate measures. The Mariners not only have the longest playoff drought in MLB, they have the longest playoff drought of any franchise in the big four pro sports leagues. FanGraphs projects the Mariners to win 81 games, five behind the Angels for a wild-card spot. Baseball Prospectus projects them to win 83, one behind the Rays for a wild-card spot. The Mariners potentially have more to gain by finding a few more wins than any other team.

It's not like a Ben Gamel/Guillermo Heredia platoon in left field is a roadblock. Plus, with those two and Dee Gordon in center, the Mariners are punting power at two outfield slots. They had just 46 home runs from their outfield a year ago -- Martinez could do that all by himself. OK, you jack up the payroll for one year, but Nelson Cruz is a free agent after this year and you probably let him go given his age. They’re paying a combined $15 million for David Phelps, Marc Rzepczynski and Erasmo Ramirez, and Felix Hernandez’s megadeal has two more seasons. Jerry Dipoto hasn’t made a move yet in 2018. You know he’s itchy!

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If J.D. Martinez really is 'fed up' with the Red Sox, here are five other fits for him

Here is the M's part:

Seattle Mariners. Desperate times call for desperate measures. The Mariners not only have the longest playoff drought in MLB, they have the longest playoff drought of any franchise in the big four pro sports leagues. FanGraphs projects the Mariners to win 81 games, five behind the Angels for a wild-card spot. Baseball Prospectus projects them to win 83, one behind the Rays for a wild-card spot. The Mariners potentially have more to gain by finding a few more wins than any other team.

It's not like a Ben Gamel/Guillermo Heredia platoon in left field is a roadblock. Plus, with those two and Dee Gordon in center, the Mariners are punting power at two outfield slots. They had just 46 home runs from their outfield a year ago -- Martinez could do that all by himself. OK, you jack up the payroll for one year, but Nelson Cruz is a free agent after this year and you probably let him go given his age. They’re paying a combined $15 million for David Phelps, Marc Rzepczynski and Erasmo Ramirez, and Felix Hernandez’s megadeal has two more seasons. Jerry Dipoto hasn’t made a move yet in 2018. You know he’s itchy!

We need pitching, but I'll take any upgrade we can get.

Mariners already project to have a pretty good lineup even without J.D. Martinez. Mariners sure would have one hell of a lineup if we add Martinez.