• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mariners Can Still Salvage the Offseason

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mariners can still salvage the offseason, without adding much to the payroll, if they would just do it. How can they do it? Acquiring two of four names: Randy Arozarena, Brandon Lowe, Yandy Diaz, Jonathon India.

TB wants to dump salary. It's their Modus Operandi, and with the emergence of Isaac Paredes and Josh Lowe, TB has found offensive production in cheaper places. Lowe and Diaz are signed to team-friendly contracts for the next three years but TB will shuffle them out in a heartbeat to cut payroll. And Arozarena has simply developed beyond what they are traditionally willing to pay a position player. And with dead money now attached to Wander Franco, TB will be more determined to offload payroll. What would these TB players cost us in terms of young talent? Probably not a whole lot since the main motivation for TB is lowering payroll. I think Arozarena could be had for any of our outfielders not named Julio, Josh Rojas, and either Brash or Munoz. As much as I like the strikeouts from Brash and Munoz, neither seems to possess the collective cool needed to be a closer nor a setup guy in a high-pressure situation.

Jonathon India would probably cost us one of our young pitchers plus another one of our outfielders not named Julio. I don't think Cincy would want Woo. I think they would be after one of our guys with a higher profile, like Emerson Hancock or Bryce Miller. India is coming off a couple of disappointing seasons after a great rookie season. But those two seasons can be attributed to injuries.

Arozarena and India would raise the payroll about $22 million. Doable. Arozarena and Lowe or Diaz would raise the payroll about $24 million. Doable.

Anyway, that is what they could and can afford to do. Now this is what I think they will actually do:
Trade Ty France for some scrub, erasing another $9-10 million from the payroll.
Sign another cheap scrub to replace him like Jesus Aguilar or Garrett Cooper.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mariners can still salvage the offseason, without adding much to the payroll, if they would just do it. How can they do it? Acquiring two of four names: Randy Arozarena, Brandon Lowe, Yandy Diaz, Jonathon India.

TB wants to dump salary. It's their Modus Operandi, and with the emergence of Isaac Paredes and Josh Lowe, TB has found offensive production in cheaper places. Lowe and Diaz are signed to team-friendly contracts for the next three years but TB will shuffle them out in a heartbeat to cut payroll. And Arozarena has simply developed beyond what they are traditionally willing to pay a position player. And with dead money now attached to Wander Franco, TB will be more determined to offload payroll. What would these TB players cost us in terms of young talent? Probably not a whole lot since the main motivation for TB is lowering payroll. I think Arozarena could be had for any of our outfielders not named Julio, Josh Rojas, and either Brash or Munoz. As much as I like the strikeouts from Brash and Munoz, neither seems to possess the collective cool needed to be a closer nor a setup guy in a high-pressure situation.

Jonathon India would probably cost us one of our young pitchers plus another one of our outfielders not named Julio. I don't think Cincy would want Woo. I think they would be after one of our guys with a higher profile, like Emerson Hancock or Bryce Miller. India is coming off a couple of disappointing seasons after a great rookie season. But those two seasons can be attributed to injuries.

Arozarena and India would raise the payroll about $22 million. Doable. Arozarena and Lowe or Diaz would raise the payroll about $24 million. Doable.

Anyway, that is what they could and can afford to do. Now this is what I think they will actually do:
Trade Ty France for some scrub, erasing another $9-10 million from the payroll.
Sign another cheap scrub to replace him like Jesus Aguilar or Garrett Cooper.
Dis agree..on the.players..
But the idea is sound...
So ok...
Think.starting.pitcher..
They will.trade.for.the..rest.

20.mil.to spend.only

srf1957

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have this backwards . The Reds would have to give more to get a controllable. young pitcher .

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have this backwards . The Reds would have to give more to get a controllable. young pitcher .
Maybe, but you are talking about mostly unproven young pitchers vs an established veteran who is nevertheless controllable for three more years. Bryce Miller is somewhat established. But Hancock and Woo definitely are not. And India is a run producer with good OBP. He was on pace last year to score 108 in a full 162 games season. Also 98 runs scored his first year when he was the NL RoY

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe, but you are talking about mostly unproven young pitchers vs an established veteran who is nevertheless controllable for three more years. Bryce Miller is somewhat established. But Hancock and Woo definitely are not. And India is a run producer with good OBP. He was on pace last year to score 108 in a full 162 games season. Also 98 runs scored his first year when he was the NL RoY
The only real rebuttal back to that is India has no real place on that roster so the value for him should be fairly low. If Seattle trades Miller, Woo or Hancock then Cincinnati should be tossing in a lot cash. IMO India should’ve been traded right before Candelario signed.

But Jerry could just flip Castillo back to them for a big splash.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only real rebuttal back to that is India has no real place on that roster so the value for him should be fairly low. If Seattle trades Miller, Woo or Hancock then Cincinnati should be tossing in a lot cash. IMO India should’ve been traded right before Candelario signed.

But Jerry could just flip Castillo back to them for a big splash.
No doubt about that. They lost a lot of leverage by overstocking their MLB-ready infield. That being said, I'm glad it was them that got Candelario and not us. Now I'm hoping someone signs Chpman to remove that temptation from Dipoto as well.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt about that. They lost a lot of leverage by overstocking their MLB-ready infield. That being said, I'm glad it was them that got Candelario and not us. Now I'm hoping someone signs Chpman to remove that temptation from Dipoto as well.
If the Mariners couldn’t sign Lee then no way could they afford to pay over an overpaid Suarez.