• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Mariners arm-chair GM offseason thread

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see them being this years version of the Twins but that's basically the ceiling. Hoping you are the best of a bunch of mediocre teams outside the Top 4 in the league.

This is kind of what makes me angry about what Dipoto is saying. The team constructed cannot win the WS. Ceiling is to be competitive but not have any ammo to improve at the deadline. Just sign one or two FA pitchers to either 1 or 2 year deals. Sure it sucks for Stanton to jack up payroll but it's either you win with them or deal them at the deadline.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is kind of what makes me angry about what Dipoto is saying. The team constructed cannot win the WS. Ceiling is to be competitive but not have any ammo to improve at the deadline. Just sign one or two FA pitchers to either 1 or 2 year deals. Sure it sucks for Stanton to jack up payroll but it's either you win with them or deal them at the deadline.

Absolutely and that's what this team has been for as long as I can remember. On the 75-85 win plan. I get that building the farm system takes time but part of that is taking a step back if you know you aren't there yet. They have successfully pissed away Felix's career, Cano's best years and Cruz's last years. In the next couple of years Segura's, Paxton's and Gordon's best years will be done. Assuming they develop decently that leaves guys like Diaz, Haniger and Zunino. I don't think anyone else is worth a damn at this point.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice little article on the Ichiro trade. Nothing really new in it, but fun look back.

Trade Retrospective: Mariners trade Ichiro Suzuki to the Yankees

The most tragic thing about Ichiro's tenure with the Mariners is that he likely will never go down as a beloved player among Mariners fans despite easily being a first ballot Hall of Famer. He will never be as loved as Edgar, Jay, Griffey, Felix, Dan Wilson, or even Randy Johnson. Even more tragic is that his talents were wasted on garbage teams.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The most tragic thing about Ichiro's tenure with the Mariners is that he likely will never go down as a beloved player among Mariners fans despite easily being a first ballot Hall of Famer. He will never be as loved as Edgar, Jay, Griffey, Felix, Dan Wilson, or even Randy Johnson. Even more tragic is that his talents were wasted on garbage teams.

No he won't ever be beloved like the rest and part, a big part I am guessing, is because of his aloof attitude. He spoke English, but never did so in interviews for the most part. Also, his insistence on doing his own thing over working with teammates caused some dissension.

And like most talented of mariners players, their talents were wasted on shitty teams. Of course when you only make like 4 playoffs out of 41 years, that will happen...a lot.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No he won't ever be beloved like the rest and part, a big part I am guessing, is because of his aloof attitude. He spoke English, but never did so in interviews for the most part. Also, his insistence on doing his own thing over working with teammates caused some dissension.

And like most talented of mariners players, their talents were wasted on shitty teams. Of course when you only make like 4 playoffs out of 41 years, that will happen...a lot.

I know the reasons he will never be loved. It's just kind of tragic that someone of his immense talent didn't really establish a lasting legacy aside from what you see in his statistics. He brought it on himself, but I just wish a guy like Willie Blomquist had a career like that.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know the reasons he will never be loved. It's just kind of tragic that someone of his immense talent didn't really establish a lasting legacy aside from what you see in his statistics. He brought it on himself, but I just wish a guy like Willie Blomquist had a career like that.

So does Willie.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How crazy is that?

Just watched that, damn that was sad at the end. Didnt really pay much attention to the Padres so didn't realize he meant that much to them or died from chewing.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I get it, since he was essentially the greatest thing in Japan he had his ways so I can't begrudge him for having issues with massively inferior players. But I think once they started losing he became the scape goat since they were primarily owned by an absentee Japanese owner who caved to whatever he wanted. And when one manager finally stood up to him, he ended up quitting instead of working with him. Losing probably got to him but the season they had a chance to go to the playoffs his politics kind of torpedoed that season.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
David Schoenfield
ESPN Senior Writer

i
Seattle Mariners

Hole: Rotation

Targets: None

First base is actually a potential problem, as the Mariners rank 29th in projected value there, but Jerry Dipoto acquired Ryon Healy early in the offseason. He just isn't very good. Dipoto also indicated recently that the team isn't going to pursue another veteran pitcher to give youngsters such as Ariel Miranda, Andrew Moore and Marco Gonzales a chance at the back of the rotation.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How did this guy not end up being drafted by the Mariners...?

Mark Appel told Joon Lee of Bleacher Report that he is taking an "indefinite break" from baseball.

The former No. 1 overall pick was outrighted off the Phillies' 40-man roster in late November after posting a 5.27 ERA, 1.76 WHIP, and 60/53 K/BB ratio in 82 innings last season at Triple-A Lehigh Valley. Appel is still relatively young and could try to return to the sport at some point, but for now he's looking for internships in private equity and business while applying to some top-flight business schools like Rice, the University of Texas, Texas A&M, Stanford, Harvard, Penn, Northwestern, and the University of Chicago. "I'm 26, I have a Stanford degree, I have many interests beyond baseball, which I still love, but I have a lot of things I care about," Appel said. "I enjoy challenging my mind. My last four years in baseball have challenged my mind." The right-hander never appeared in a game at the major league level.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How did this guy not end up being drafted by the Mariners...?

Mark Appel told Joon Lee of Bleacher Report that he is taking an "indefinite break" from baseball.

The former No. 1 overall pick was outrighted off the Phillies' 40-man roster in late November after posting a 5.27 ERA, 1.76 WHIP, and 60/53 K/BB ratio in 82 innings last season at Triple-A Lehigh Valley. Appel is still relatively young and could try to return to the sport at some point, but for now he's looking for internships in private equity and business while applying to some top-flight business schools like Rice, the University of Texas, Texas A&M, Stanford, Harvard, Penn, Northwestern, and the University of Chicago. "I'm 26, I have a Stanford degree, I have many interests beyond baseball, which I still love, but I have a lot of things I care about," Appel said. "I enjoy challenging my mind. My last four years in baseball have challenged my mind." The right-hander never appeared in a game at the major league level.

Whiffed on a #1 pick yet they are still a dynasty in the making. Missing on one wont kill you. If course it helps that the two prior years were Correa and Springer. Meanwhile the M's whiffed on countless Top 10 picks and only really have Zunino to show for it and the jury is still very much out on him.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whiffed on a #1 pick yet they are still a dynasty in the making. Missing on one wont kill you. If course it helps that the two prior years were Correa and Springer. Meanwhile the M's whiffed on countless Top 10 picks and only really have Zunino to show for it and the jury is still very much out on him.

Agreed, but he just seems like a Mariners draft pick. Top prospect, golden arm, and then flames out mentally after flaming out physically. That has mariners written all over it. Maybe they should trade for him, unless they are worried about him blocking one of their pitching prodigies...

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know everyone knows the answer, but the whole DIP comments about money isn't an issue and then saying signing a free agent pitcher does more harm than good in the long run thing still bugs me if no other reason, and there are plenty of reasons, then why did they spend so much time and energy trying to sign an unknown pitcher and felt crushed when they didn't get them? Again,money isn't an issue per DIP. Has he explained that?

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know everyone knows the answer, but the whole DIP comments about money isn't an issue and then saying signing a free agent pitcher does more harm than good in the long run thing still bugs me if no other reason, and there are plenty of reasons, then why did they spend so much time and energy trying to sign an unknown pitcher and felt crushed when they didn't get them? Again,money isn't an issue per DIP. Has he explained that?

Even if he did, I doubt anyone would understand it. Since the O'Neill trade nothing Jerry has said has really made sense. Mostly just justifying why but it never really makes sense. I don't mind the Gordon trade but don't tell us you love his defense when he has never played CF.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You wont here him explain it because no way the Seattle media would press him on that. Ohtani was cheap option that would guarantee to provide fans, promotions, etc. so that was the primary appeal I'm guessing.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't mind the Gordon trade but don't tell us you love his defense when he has never played CF.
Its an odd move that if coupled with others could be fine. But if picking up a 3 year $39 million contract means you cant add any where else on the roster, specifically the addressing the biggest weakness then its an awful trade

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This would be interesting:

• Looking to add a bit of versatility to his repertoire, Mariners designated hitter/outfielder Nelson Cruz revealed that he’s been working out at first base this offseason (Instagram link). Seattle already acquired Ryon Healy from the A’s in hopes that the young slugger can hold down their first base spot for years to come, but Cruz could conceivably see some time there when Healy needs a day off or in the event of an injury.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This would be interesting:

• Looking to add a bit of versatility to his repertoire, Mariners designated hitter/outfielder Nelson Cruz revealed that he’s been working out at first base this offseason (Instagram link). Seattle already acquired Ryon Healy from the A’s in hopes that the young slugger can hold down their first base spot for years to come, but Cruz could conceivably see some time there when Healy needs a day off or in the event of an injury.

This is mostly in jest but he trades for a bad 1B only to move a guy who can barely move in the OF to 1B?