• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Free agent targets Offseason Armchair GM Thread

Slimpikins

Well, fuck it
Hoopla Cash
$ 330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure how I feel about trading Boyle.

If you buy into Wilson's premise that one of the reasons for the lack luster season was too much roster turnover from the prior year, you can't fix that situation by trading out more core pieces.

On the other hand, he is getting older and if this team can get good assets back for him it could be worth it. But I am about ready for a rebuild anyway and one of my concerns with this 'player first' organization is that we just don't re-sign our big guns and they eventually walk for nothing.

Conclusion: Don't shake up the roster too much before the season starts. Re-evaluate before the trade deadline.

23sharks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm not sure how I feel about trading Boyle.

If you buy into Wilson's premise that one of the reasons for the lack luster season was too much roster turnover from the prior year, you can't fix that situation by trading out more core pieces.

On the other hand, he is getting older and if this team can get good assets back for him it could be worth it. But I am about ready for a rebuild anyway and one of my concerns with this 'player first' organization is that we just don't re-sign our big guns and they eventually walk for nothing.

Conclusion: Don't shake up the roster too much before the season starts. Re-evaluate before the trade deadline.

I think that may be how it plays out. This season is probably their last chance to make a run for it.
If they fall flat, like last season, I'd be fine with rebuilding too. I'd build around Logan-Pavs-Burns-Vlasic-Braun-Wingles.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
[/B]

I think that may be how it plays out. This season is probably their last chance to make a run for it.
If they fall flat, like last season, I'd be fine with rebuilding too. I'd build around Logan-Pavs-Burns-Vlasic-Braun-Wingles.

Argh, that's not much of a core. Outside of cooch and burns, the rest are so-so. Pavs is a good player but he's already 28, so if they fail this year, then you are rebuilding around a 29 year old. Vlasic has proven himself to be a one-way defensive player. His offensive game is non existant so while he serves a purpose and is a serviceable guy for his role, he's hardly a cornerstone to build around. Wingels has 3rd line potential max and Braun looks like he'll also be a serviceable #4. Basically, their current "core" is 33 (PM), 33(JT), 31 (MH), 36 (DB), 33 (BS), and 30 (RC), with cooch and burns as the only under 27's with 'core' talent.

Not sure how dougie is going to attempt to recreate the team, but he's gotta be nervous given the massive step back that was last year.

23sharks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Argh, that's not much of a core. Outside of cooch and burns, the rest are so-so. Pavs is a good player but he's already 28, so if they fail this year, then you are rebuilding around a 29 year old. Vlasic has proven himself to be a one-way defensive player. His offensive game is non existant so while he serves a purpose and is a serviceable guy for his role, he's hardly a cornerstone to build around. Wingels has 3rd line potential max and Braun looks like he'll also be a serviceable #4. Basically, their current "core" is 33 (PM), 33(JT), 31 (MH), 36 (DB), 33 (BS), and 30 (RC), with cooch and burns as the only under 27's with 'core' talent.

Not sure how dougie is going to attempt to recreate the team, but he's gotta be nervous given the massive step back that was last year.

I think Braun and Wingles can turn out to be good ones, and it wouldn't make sense to trade either one of them.
Vlasic showed some offense last season, but I'd like to see more from him there too. I thought he had a really good season.
I would trade Pavs in the right deal, but it would take a lot for me to trade him. You can't trade everyone away, and he is a guy I'd keep around.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
James Sheppard is an RFA im curious to see how he is going to pan out

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Today is the deadline to extend QO's to RFAs right? Anyone know what time that deadline is?

5pm Eastern is the deadline. We'll probably hear something tomorrow or possibly later today. My guess is Marcou, Sexsmith, MacIntyre, and McLaren don't get QOed. Maybe Kennedy and Ferriero as well.

Comeau (Cal) and Stralman (NYR) were not qualified and will be UFA's.

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has Blake Comeau just fallen off the map or what? Wasn't wanted in NYI, then couldn't cut it in CGY. I thought he was talked about as a potential pickup for the Sharks before last season started as a potential 2nd/3rd line tweener.

23sharks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
James Sheppard is an RFA im curious to see how he is going to pan out

I forgot about him. You'd think they will try to keep him. Wouldn't make much sense to trade a pick for him, wait for him to get healthy, and then not take a look to see what he can do.

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I forgot about him. You'd think they will try to keep him. Wouldn't make much sense to trade a pick for him, wait for him to get healthy, and then not take a look to see what he can do.

Haha... yes, unless your GM was Dougie Wilson! :p

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
5pm Eastern is the deadline. We'll probably hear something tomorrow or possibly later today. My guess is Marcou, Sexsmith, MacIntyre, and McLaren don't get QOed. Maybe Kennedy and Ferriero as well.

Comeau (Cal) and Stralman (NYR) were not qualified and will be UFA's.

Comeau is still an intriguing option for me. He'll be quite cheap, Im sure, and the upside is very attractive, especially at 26 years old. Obviously, e had a horrible and had a big time minus in NYI the year before, so the defensive side of the puck may be iffy. That said, he is the kind of forgotten player that GM's can sign for 1M or less and they end up being 20 goal scorers and helping a team achieve the depth needed to win a cup.

Wonder why stralman wasnt qualified. he had a respectable regular and postseason. He too would make an excellent depth Dman and he's just 25. And, we do need a token swede if sluglass is gone.

Why would sexsmith be not QO'd? At the very least, there could be a trade market there. I know they likely want sateri and stalock to carry the load in the AHL, but sexsmith was an all star and he's only 23.

marcou, macintye (epic fail on that one), and Mclaren I understand. Irwin, mashinter, kennedy, and Pelech I would figure could go to to make room for grads like abeltshauser, demelo (though he has another year I think), moffie if he goes pro, F. Hamilton, etc.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Comeau is still an intriguing option for me. He'll be quite cheap, Im sure, and the upside is very attractive, especially at 26 years old. Obviously, e had a horrible and had a big time minus in NYI the year before, so the defensive side of the puck may be iffy. That said, he is the kind of forgotten player that GM's can sign for 1M or less and they end up being 20 goal scorers and helping a team achieve the depth needed to win a cup.

Wonder why stralman wasnt qualified. he had a respectable regular and postseason. He too would make an excellent depth Dman and he's just 25. And, we do need a token swede if sluglass is gone.

Why would sexsmith be not QO'd? At the very least, there could be a trade market there. I know they likely want sateri and stalock to carry the load in the AHL, but sexsmith was an all star and he's only 23.

marcou, macintye (epic fail on that one), and Mclaren I understand. Irwin, mashinter, kennedy, and Pelech I would figure could go to to make room for grads like abeltshauser, demelo (though he has another year I think), moffie if he goes pro, F. Hamilton, etc.

Right now the Sharks have 7 goalies (Niemi, Griess, Stalock, Sateri, Anderson, Sexsmith, Heemskirk) at the pro level to fill 5 spots (2 NHL, 2 AHL, 1 ECHL). Stalock and Sexsmith are the only two RFAs and of the two Stalock is the closest to NHL ready, or is ready IMO, and he has the highest ceiling. Anderson may be sent back to the OHL as an overager but unless the Sharks move a goalie in a trade there is just no room for him.

Pelech I think they'll keep. He was really good for the Worcester lockerroom last year and even played surprisingly well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Right now the Sharks have 7 goalies (Niemi, Griess, Stalock, Sateri, Anderson, Sexsmith, Heemskirk) at the pro level to fill 5 spots (2 NHL, 2 AHL, 1 ECHL). Stalock and Sexsmith are the only two RFAs and of the two Stalock is the closest to NHL ready, or is ready IMO, and he has the highest ceiling. Anderson may be sent back to the OHL as an overager but unless the Sharks move a goalie in a trade there is just no room for him.

Pelech I think they'll keep. He was really good for the Worcester lockerroom last year and even played surprisingly well.

They need to shitcan Heemskirk that guy is shitastic and a waste of a contract, Sexsmith has some trade value if even a draft pick. Griess is likely gone, so i think that solves the problem at the position lol

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

How good is heemskerk? He's 22 and wasnt too good in stockton last year. I understand he has another year, but can't dougie just basically cut him? It would seem a waste to cut a 23 year old goalie who was an AHL all star and get zero in return. At the very least you'd think sexsmith might fetch a late pick or something? Also, Anderson doesnt look all that great either. Id rather keep sexsmith if possible and let heemskerk or anderson go somehow.

BTW, when do we get to find out who got QO's? didnt the deadline pass?

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
How good is heemskerk? He's 22 and wasnt too good in stockton last year. I understand he has another year, but can't dougie just basically cut him? It would seem a waste to cut a 23 year old goalie who was an AHL all star and get zero in return. At the very least you'd think sexsmith might fetch a late pick or something? Also, Anderson doesnt look all that great either. Id rather keep sexsmith if possible and let heemskerk or anderson go somehow.

I saw him play 4 times last season, when your behind Olivier Roy on the depth chart in the ECHL its time to hang up the skates. Technical nightmare doesnt use his size,marginal to terribad skater, somewhere between average and terribad on his angles, and plays really small.

He got alot of high praise when he was on a good Silvertips team backing up Leland Irving, and i saw him play a couple of games on TV as well and i still couldnt figure out where the praise came from.

Sucksmith isnt good period i saw him play in the WHL behind an incredibliy stacked Giants team with Milan Lucic and he was the weakest link on that team by a country mile. He was terrible until last season at the ECHL level as well.

If the sharks can get something for him VIA trade with say columbus who is lacking depth in net, they should jump at it

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

QO's are usually announced the following day. Dougie and the Sharks organization always wait until everything is official before making the announcement.

Heemskirk is garbage and as Korky said a waste of a contract but their only option would be to buy him out which would be wasted cap space. With July 1st right around the corner Doug is going to need all the contract spots he can get and I don't think he's going to be able to move a goalie before then.

Strickland is reporting Desjardins has signed a one year deal. No info on the cap hit yet.

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QO's are usually announced the following day. Dougie and the Sharks organization always wait until everything is official before making the announcement.

Found a perfectly fitting tweet earlier today (forgot who and too lazy to look it up, sorry). It went something like this (paraphrasing):

"Why I know that all Sharks rumors are bullshit: It's past QO deadline and nobody can find out shit about what they did from an official Sharks source."

Haha... so great and so true!

(Yeah, I know they traditionally announce QO transactions the following day and no big deal... point is, they keep things under wraps pretty well usually... now, in the case of trade rumors like with Nashville, of course the other side can leak info but still...)

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Found a perfectly fitting tweet earlier today (forgot who and too lazy to look it up, sorry). It went something like this (paraphrasing):

"Why I know that all Sharks rumors are bullshit: It's past QO deadline and nobody can find out shit about what they did from an official Sharks source."

Haha... so great and so true!

(Yeah, I know they traditionally announce QO transactions the following day and no big deal... point is, they keep things under wraps pretty well usually... now, in the case of trade rumors like with Nashville, of course the other side can leak info but still...)

There's a trade rumor with the Sharks and Nashville? Don't make me start fantasizing about Weber now. :heh:

Last edited by a moderator:

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OMG... LOL... too funny!

I must be sooo tired. Was thinking Nash/CBJ all along and that's what I ended up typing?! Haha. :L