• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

First look at the Bears offseason (mock free agents and full draft)

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Decent, wishful thinking type of article, yet reasonable as to how Poles will operate during free agency and the draft:

Some initial takes here:

*Of course it won't work out completely as detailed by the writer, stuff like this never does. But it gives us an insight as to how much leeway Poles will have this offseason.
*I like the emphasis of the two lines as far as FA acquisitions go, altho I wouldn't mind seeing one more player from the OL added to this list.
*Daron Payne is one of my top FA targets, if not my top, so seeing him on this list makes for a happy LSD. It might take a little overpaying for his services, he'll no doubt be in high demand. But Poles will have the coin to outbid just about every GM out there.
*Not sure I'd be all in on Marcus Davenport tho. No doubt when healthy, he's a beast, but health is the key word here. Interestingly enough, he's having his healthiest season since hitting the league, yet ironically his productivity is way down. I find it hard to justify paying him the amount suggested in the article.
*Even assuming all went according to projections, Poles would still be left with over $48m in cap space. That's impressive by any measure.
*As for the draft, nothing would make me happier, assuming the Bears finish in the bottom 5 or 6, that Poles would be able to trade back for two 1st rounders, maybe one of those 1st rds for the '24 draft. altho the suggested trade value here is fair. I just don't agree with using our first pick on a WR. My personal wish would be for the DL or the OL.
*Assuming we don't re-sign Montgomery, and all signs are pointing to this being the case, don't be surprised if we use our 3rd rounder on a RB.
*No need to waste a pick, even a lower one, on a QB. Siemian is inked for another year and there are needs at other positions.

So all in all, there's little doubt that if these projections are even somewhat in the ballpark, the Bears will be demonstrably better in '23, likely playoff-contending better.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going back over the article, the Bears at that point were slotted with the 12th pick. It's looking pretty obvious now that we'll go higher, possibly the top 5, maybe even the top 3. So this begs the question, which depending on where we'll finish at season's end and how Poles operates in the free agent market, will he hold onto the pick or trade back. If we're anywhere in the top 5, he's almost certain to receive offers.

There are some damn fine players who will be on the board when it's time to choose, in particular the DL. How Poles handles the free agent period prior to the draft will undoubtedly influence either his selection or decision to trade back. Going to be interesting to say the least.

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going back over the article, the Bears at that point were slotted with the 12th pick. It's looking pretty obvious now that we'll go higher, possibly the top 5, maybe even the top 3. So this begs the question, which depending on where we'll finish at season's end and how Poles operates in the free agent market, will he hold onto the pick or trade back. If we're anywhere in the top 5, he's almost certain to receive offers.

There are some damn fine players who will be on the board when it's time to choose, in particular the DL. How Poles handles the free agent period prior to the draft will undoubtedly influence either his selection or decision to trade back. Going to be interesting to say the least.

The first 2 picks may be QBs. If we keep losing, we'll have our pick of the best non QB position player in the draft. That's huge. It would be nice to have the 3rd pick in the second round too but oh yeah, we overpayed for Claypool. A move only the idiots on this board liked. Oh brother...

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The first 2 picks may be QBs. If we keep losing, we'll have our pick of the best non QB position player in the draft. That's huge. It would be nice to have the 3rd pick in the second round too but oh yeah, we overpayed for Claypool. A move only the idiots on this board liked. Oh brother...

Oh,we will keep losing......theres nothing there I see that prove otherwise.....

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TE Hayden Hurst: 2 years, $8.2 million ($4.1 million AAV), $5 million guaranteed

It doesn’t seem like a bad idea to add another tight end to the Bears’ offense to complement an ascending Cole Kmet. Hurst is a reliable pass-catcher who adds an element of athleticism and provides more schematic versatility.

Chuckle.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would definitely be trading down if we have a top 5 pick. We won't be drafting a QB and will benefit more from multiple 1st round picks. A lot of holes, particularly on the defensive side.

Honestly, on offense? (My thoughts on Fields aside, since he's the guy in 2023) We're nearly set to go, IMO. Give me a veteran WR, maybe an interior Oline add and let's roll. The line play has been nothing short of fantastic. In terms of the run game, we're dominating. In terms of pass pro, nobody has more time per dropback in the league than Fields does.

We have some pieces in the secondary. Our front seven is a MESS. We've lost 6 games on the final possession. If we shore up the front seven and touch up one or two spots on offense? I genuinely think we can compete next year. I will, of course, have strong reservations over Fields until I see him learn to pass the ball. However, even with him as he is (a RB capable of throwing the ball at times). We're going to put points up. We won't make a SB run, but I think we can definitely get to January.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would definitely be trading down if we have a top 5 pick. We won't be drafting a QB and will benefit more from multiple 1st round picks. A lot of holes, particularly on the defensive side.

Honestly, on offense? (My thoughts on Fields aside, since he's the guy in 2023) We're nearly set to go, IMO. Give me a veteran WR, maybe an interior Oline add and let's roll. The line play has been nothing short of fantastic. In terms of the run game, we're dominating. In terms of pass pro, nobody has more time per dropback in the league than Fields does.

We have some pieces in the secondary. Our front seven is a MESS. We've lost 6 games on the final possession. If we shore up the front seven and touch up one or two spots on offense? I genuinely think we can compete next year. I will, of course, have strong reservations over Fields until I see him learn to pass the ball. However, even with him as he is (a RB capable of throwing the ball at times). We're going to put points up. We won't make a SB run, but I think we can definitely get to January.

So glad you aren’t the GM. One interior offensive lineman…..that’s all we need? Lol.

Unreal.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if Fields time to throw has anything to do with him running around and buying time?

Nah, can’t be.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Theres a very short list of freeagent wrs this upcoming offseason with Lazard probably best of them all......

I believe wr and and an olineman will be the first two picks in the draft this year.....
Another reason why we Claypool,not much in the fa market......

Addres the def in the freeagency is my hope.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Addres the def in the freeagency is my hope.

The front 7 should absolutely be addressed via free agency. Plug and play some DTs and LBs and draft the best pass rusher available. Next season the defense should be dramatically better.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The front 7 should absolutely be addressed via free agency. Plug and play some DTs and LBs and draft the best pass rusher available. Next season the defense should be dramatically better.

Im looking for a dramatically better offense.......theres no reason I can think of not to give Fields all the help he neêds......Otherwise hé just gonna be a waste of time.......

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Bears have a promising young team. I think the biggest surprises and/or winners are Braxton Jones and Tevin Jenkins.

Jones is a late round rookie, and has played remarkable, considering. Jenkins is just an absolute beast. One of the best young linemen in the league right now. Bright future.

The D-line is a mess. I like the rookie Robinson, but other than maybe Jones on the interior, I wouldn't lose any sleep if we replaced all the rest.

LB group was underwhelming. I do love me some Sanborn doe.

Honestly, the argument that Fields needs more help and that is all that is missing, is just dumb. He needs more help playing within the system. He needs more help trusting his blockers, reads and progressions. He needs help trusting his own eyes and arm.

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unlike most people here i think we are farther away than most think.

* We don't really know for certain Fields is the guy
* Oline is not good
* Front 7 of the D is bad
* Our RBs are mediocre, yes they are
* Burning our 2nd on Claypool was a horrible move

That's a lot of holes to fill. And to think we can fix this with free agency and then fix that with the draft (and hope we hit on every pick)--no way.

This is a multi year rebuild and we require a lot more draft capital. I believe in using FA to fill holes you missed with the draft. Not, using FA to fix major areas the draft couldn't get to. This team has a long way to go.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

* We don't really know for certain Fields is the guy - AGREED
* Oline is not good - I don't entirely agree. There's a foundation starting there. Our rushing success is not just Fields. D Mont and Herbert have both been very successful. You can't be near the top of the league in rushing with a completely incompetent line. And Field's lack of traditional pocket successful is FAR from the o-line's fault
* Front 7 of the D is bad - Couldn't agree more. It is the glaring weakness of this team.
* Our RBs are mediocre, yes they are - That's just dumb. Running backs are a dime a dozen, but still...goddamn dude, you need to get over yer RB weirdness. Bears have the best rushing game in the league, and were near the top BEFORE Fields went off. Just stop.
* Burning our 2nd on Claypool was a horrible move - It was too high of a pick, for sure. It won't matter if Fields can't develop more as a traditional pocket passer either way.

That's a lot of holes to fill. And to think we can fix this with free agency and then fix that with the draft (and hope we hit on every pick)--no way.

This is a multi year rebuild and we require a lot more draft capital. I believe in using FA to fill holes you missed with the draft. Not, using FA to fix major areas the draft couldn't get to. This team has a long way to go.
No team is every truly that far off in today's game. Teams have turned it around quicker with MUCH LESS.

The y have some good young talent, and decent stockpile of draft picks and a fuckton of capital.

They are headed in the right direction quick. Biggest question is Fields.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

* We don't really know for certain Fields is the guy
* Oline is not good
* Front 7 of the D is bad
* Our RBs are mediocre, yes they are
* Burning our 2nd on Claypool was a horrible move

Ino.1......
Ill agree with Fields,we all know he can run,but as far as his passing game I reserve my my take on him especially being I have not been able to watch a Bears game in quite the while.....Well the Miami game I did......

No2.....yeah,our oline is not good,I lol everytime I hear that.

No.3.....def definetley needs help......we all know this top.

No 4......rbs are decent,its not a question,theres no reason to change unless Montgomery wants a ton of money.....if you have a good oline,you can plug in most rbs....no need to create that hole.....

No.5.....ya trading for Claypool was dumb.....just because GB wanted him,we decided to pull the rug out from underneath them....dumb
Yes the freeagent list for wrs is not strong so a 3rd should have the actual best we should have given.....

And as far as Kmet,Im gonna go with BWW on this,he has not done much since he was drafted.now all of a sudden he puts up a couple of games and now hes our answer.......??
If JF gets in a couple of more games this season,lets see how well Kmet does.....

Wr and oline would be my first 2 picks of the draft and in no particular order.....

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And as far as Kmet,Im gonna go with BWW on this,he has not done much since he was drafted.now all of a sudden he puts up a couple of games and now hes our answer.......??
I think you forget how bad we were in the passing game early in the year. The Bears literally set a record for fewest pass attempts the first 3 (or 4) weeks combined. I mean, it was bizarre how little we threw. When that happens, Kmet is not going to have alot of opportunities to make plays.

They are headed in the right direction quick. Biggest question is Fields.
I agree here for the most part. But it all depends on Fields. If he is not the guy we are 3 years back instantly.

That's just dumb. Running backs are a dime a dozen, but still...goddamn dude, you need to get over yer RB weirdness. Bears have the best rushing game in the league, and were near the top BEFORE Fields went off. Just stop.

I bet the Bears led the league is rushing attempts as well. Our backs aren't great nor elite. They are average. You overvalue our RBs tremendously, i see them for what they are, average.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you forget how bad we were in the passing game early in the year. The Bears literally set a record for fewest pass attempts the first 3 (or 4) weeks combined. I mean, it was bizarre how little we threw. When that happens, Kmet is not going to have alot of opportunities to make plays.

I agree here for the most part. But it all depends on Fields. If he is not the guy we are 3 years back instantly.

That's just dumb. Running backs are a dime a dozen, but still...goddamn dude, you need to get over yer RB weirdness. Bears have the best rushing game in the league, and were near the top BEFORE Fields went off. Just stop.

I bet the Bears led the league is rushing attempts as well. Our backs aren't great nor elite. They are average. You overvalue our RBs tremendously, i see them for what they are, average.
I said they were a dime a dozen. That is not over valuing them at all.

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said they were a dime a dozen. That is not over valuing them at all.

I was referring to your history.

I repeat: This team is not "close"

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously we have to wait until we see what Poles does in free agency. My hope and expectations are that he focuses on the trenches first and foremost, with a heavier emphasis on the D side of the ball. If he covers some needed holes, then I trust he'll give serious consideration to either trading back or if he holds the fort, then going defense with that first pick because there's no OL or WR worthy of a top 5 selection.

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate the idea of using the draft to fix our front 7. It would take an enormous amount of money first of all. But most importantly I want young guys from the draft to build around. The core of this team needs to be built from the draft to have longevity in this league.