• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Free agent targets Offseason Armchair GM Thread

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same teams after Nash are after Ryan. Bring in Bobby Dougie!

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for the underlined: But I wouldn't feel any better after a playoff exit knowing we had those 'it" guys in place. That was my point there.

As for the bold, maybe. My contention was more to point out that while some guys may have "it" in your view and some guys don't (Ironically I agree with everyone you listed in terms of having "it" or not, as I see it), it doesn't mean much if it doesn't amount to win and that it doesn't, as you acknowledged, necessarily lead to a win. Also crystallized by your list is that teams can and have won with non "it" guys at the top.

I am certainly projecting my frustration onto you in regards to a long held belief of mine about how champs are perceived compared to those who haven't won: Fans see guys who can't win the big one and never will....until they do. Then the perception shifts and they're seen as having "raised their game" whether they did or not.

As for agreeing to disagree, that's simply me saying I don't expect, nor was I trying, to change your opinion. How can we disagree on your opinion? Simply, I have a different opinion that a cup win would make even the most ardent blame-wagoner wonder what they were upset about in the first place, that's all.

Well sure, hindsight 20/20, a loss is a loss. I just think having players like Doan and Parise over guys like Thornton and Marleau that the Sharks would have a better chance at the cup. I'm not foolish enough to believe that there is a guaranteed route to winning a championship. I liken it to going to Vegas. Sure I may win on the slot machine and lose at blackjack, but if I had to pick one to win money, I'd choose blackjack.....even if there are no guarantees.

Again, hindsight 20/20, of course, a loss is a loss. That said, I've been proud of Sharks teams that have given it their all and lost to a better team. It's a lot more fun to watch a team give it their all and lose then watch a bunch of guys with a boat-load of talent play tense or uninterested and lose without emptying the tank. And again, sure some teams can win with guys at the top who coast in and out of caring.....but not usually the TOP TWO guys being those "not its". I've said it time and time again and I stick by this.....I'd rather watch a bunch of guys that hate to lose than a bunch of more talented guys that "like" to win. I just want to see honest effort and I'll stop bitching, lol.

Fair enough and I agree to a point. However, that's an argument for you and somebody else, not me. I see heart and desire in guys who never win championships and vice versa.

Ah, gotcha, it may change most blame-wagoners, but it wouldn't change my opinion that I currently hold at all. If Thornton turns 38 and goes to the Red Wings (or whatever team is Godly at that time) and wins a Cup as a 3rd Liner, that won't change my opinion of him at all.....just like it won't change my opinion at all when Ryan Smyth retires sans-Cup. I thought you were trying to say that I didn't actually believe my own opinion, lol. Sure I can think a girl is attractive, and you can disagree with that opinion and think that same girl is ugly.....but there's no way you can argue with me that I think she's attractive (unless you thought I was lying).

To be honest, I was just kind of wondering what you and I were arguing about. It seemed like you were having an argument against what the masses of fans thought/think instead of with me about what I thought/think.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Oh for fucks sake...

Nick Kypreos ‏@RealKyper said:
#SNdraft. Names from #Sharks being speculated in potential Nash deal besides 1st round pick include Clowe Pavelski and Demers.

I think Dougie's tanning lotion is starting to rot his brain :L

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Frees up money to sign Paraise, id take that

Pavelski, Clowe, and Demer's salary adds up to only a million more than what Nash makes. After you factor in the cost of filling the two extra roster spots where exactly does this money to sign Parise come from?

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DP just said we have made no counter proposals with CBJ since they still want Couture. No talks going on.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Pavelski, Clowe, and Demer's salary adds up to only a million more than what Nash makes. After you factor in the cost of filling the two extra roster spots where exactly does this money to sign Parise come from?

Bums from the AHL take up the roster spot. Top two lines would be pretty sick, not saying its going to happen just saying

abaskin18

Oilman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be honest, I was just kind of wondering what you and I were arguing about. It seemed like you were having an argument against what the masses of fans thought/think instead of with me about what I thought/think.

Naw, but those two notions do seem to be in line with each other more so than I usually see from you. :p

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Oh for fucks sake...

I think Dougie's tanning lotion is starting to rot his brain :L

PS it is Nick Kepyreos btw, he is Eklund status in terms of rumors, hell id trust a Kevin Weekes or Jamie Mclellan rumor before Nick

Slimpikins

Well, fuck it
Hoopla Cash
$ 330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DP just said we have made no counter proposals with CBJ since they still want Couture. No talks going on.

Couture should be a non starter. There is no way I would give him up. If Wilson did I would hate him so much you all would start to mistake me for Rares. :p

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haha... now THAT would be pretty catastrophic! :p

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hopefully Columbus doesn't budge on that asking price AND Wilson has enough sanity left to not give into that demand. Sharks don't need Nash.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Kevin Kurz ‏@KKurzCSN said:
Rumblings from Pitt: #SJSharks still in discussions for Nash that would inc. Pavelski, Clowe, pick. Market softening with B. Ryan on market

back and forth, back and forth, back and forth...

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hammer and Minosaur are on the block with Chitown looking to shed salary. I'd love to swap Murray for Hammer. Saves them 1 mill this year and 3.5 next year.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pollak saying there is no talks is basically saying there is. The opposite tends to occur when he makes a call on something. : )

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the globe and mail, dude read my mind on Hammer:

It’s a precedent worth considering because in the next few days, there will be considerable chatter about two other defencemen on big-ticket contracts who probably could be had for the right price. That would Jay Bouwmeester of the Calgary Flames and Dan Boyle of the San Jose Sharks. Bouwmeester, 28, is signed for two more years at a cap hit of $6.68-million. Boyle, 35, is signed for two more years at a cap hit of $6.66-million.

Boyle had 48 points in 81 games to finish eighth in scoring among defencemen. Bouwmeester led the Flames in ice time with 25:57 a night.

The Sharks recently signed Brad Stuart to a contract and have Brent Burns to run the power play, which was Boyle’s job for years. If they can pry Niklas Hjalmarsson out of Chicago, then it makes sense to shop Boyle and his contract, especially if they get a hint that Rick Nash might be interested in playing for them alongside his old Swiss-league pal Joe Thornton. The Sharks need to do something dramatic as their championship window closes a little more every year, and moving their de facto No. 1 defenceman might be what’s required.

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the globe and mail, dude read my mind on Hammer:

It’s a precedent worth considering because in the next few days, there will be considerable chatter about two other defencemen on big-ticket contracts who probably could be had for the right price. That would Jay Bouwmeester of the Calgary Flames and Dan Boyle of the San Jose Sharks. Bouwmeester, 28, is signed for two more years at a cap hit of $6.68-million. Boyle, 35, is signed for two more years at a cap hit of $6.66-million.

Boyle had 48 points in 81 games to finish eighth in scoring among defencemen. Bouwmeester led the Flames in ice time with 25:57 a night.

The Sharks recently signed Brad Stuart to a contract and have Brent Burns to run the power play, which was Boyle’s job for years. If they can pry Niklas Hjalmarsson out of Chicago, then it makes sense to shop Boyle and his contract, especially if they get a hint that Rick Nash might be interested in playing for them alongside his old Swiss-league pal Joe Thornton. The Sharks need to do something dramatic as their championship window closes a little more every year, and moving their de facto No. 1 defenceman might be what’s required.

Regarding Boyle, he is a prime example of trading someone early (the right time), before it's too late and no one will want that cap hit for what he brings. He has a limited NTC which states he can list 8 teams he will not accept a trade to, similar to Heatley's.

It's hard for me to see Doug and CHI's GM doing business after Doug offer sheeted Hjalmarsson.

It's scary to think the mindset of this team if Clowe, Murray, and Boyle were off the team. That's three of the most ornery guys on the roster.