• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 49ers @ Seahawks

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To follow up on my earlier post, I'd wondered elsewhere how many TD's and yards Russ could throw for behind the Cowboys O-line, and what happened Sunday? The 'Boys O line stunk it up, Elliot was held to less than 1yd/carry and Prescott struggled and threw a couple of picks.

Seattle had a D to rely on, Cowboys didn't.

The team IS starting to transition to spending more $ on our O-line, and that process will continue. But the idea of spending disproportionately on D isn't a bad idea - just maybe not quite so much as we've been doing it.

People will point to Richardson's money as being evidence to the contrary, but to me, if they re-sign Sheldon, either Bennet or Avril will be a cap casualty.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jimmy graham could easily be the casualty.

At this point they have shown no ability to get anything out of talented players on offense so they might as well throw the money at defense.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too bad that we don't win the Superbowl EVERY year!

G'damn management!

(and holy revisionist history Batman)

The turning point in that game was Lane going out with the broken arm. But as usual, you start with your conclusion and work backwards.

Right, bevell passed on the 1 because jeremy lane broke his wrist. Damnit jeremy!!!!

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right, bevell passed on the 1 because jeremy lane broke his wrist. Damnit jeremy!!!!

The Seahawks had the lead. Then they didn't. Did the offense do that?

Lynch wasn't going to score from there. <shrug>

If Lockette doesn't lean, it's an easy pitch and catch and a TD. Best D coach in the NFL sells out to stop Marshawn.

Butler made an all-career play.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The team IS starting to transition to spending more $ on our O-line, and that process will continue. But the idea of spending disproportionately on D isn't a bad idea - just maybe not quite so much as we've been doing it.

People will point to Richardson's money as being evidence to the contrary, but to me, if they re-sign Sheldon, either Bennet or Avril will be a cap casualty.
I think it's important to look at each player (current starter) to understand where they are contract-wise. The tackles are on their rookie contracts with team control through the 2019 season (possibly 2020 for Ifedi); no money needs to be spent there until you're looking at an extension for Odhiambo in 2 years. Britt just got extended a couple months ago. Glowinski is also on his rookie deal, so we can look at an extension for him next year. Joeckel is on a 1 year deal. So at max, 2 positions out of 5 could be spend areas next off-season. We could return 4 out of 5 starters in 2018 and not spend a dime more than what is in the plan right now. Do we spend just so we can say we spent? That seems foolish to me.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he is lucky he didnt have 2 or 3 INTs today.
Yeah he was forcing a few while trying to make plays later in the game. The way the defense is playing right now he should probably be focusing on keeping those TO's down. You hate to have him play the game manager role but if the WRs can't catch shit and the O-line can't block, forcing throws and turning it over so that you have to play from behind is the last thing you want to do.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the topic that seems will never go away, I re-watched the game winning TD play about 10 times and focused on each lineman from start to finish. Odhiambo and Glowinski got beat pretty much right off the ball -- Odhiambo by a wide edge rusher who went right around him, Glowinski by an inside guy who jab stepped left and then went right around him and flushed RW. Ifedi held up his man very well; Joeckel's slid to the middle and Britt picked him up with no issues. I'm worried about Glowinski the most of the 5. I think he's had 2 pretty bad games.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the topic that seems will never go away, I re-watched the game winning TD play about 10 times and focused on each lineman from start to finish. Odhiambo and Glowinski got beat pretty much right off the ball -- Odhiambo by a wide edge rusher who went right around him, Glowinski by an inside guy who jab stepped left and then went right around him and flushed RW. Ifedi held up his man very well; Joeckel's slid to the middle and Britt picked him up with no issues. I'm worried about Glowinski the most of the 5. I think he's had 2 pretty bad games.

Odhiambo looked better than he did in week 1 but he was dreadful in that game so I guess that's not saying much. He was bad last year too though so I wasn't ever expecting that much out of him. I thought Glowinski was serviceable for most of last season, but you're right he was definitely the weakest link yesterday.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Odhiambo looked better than he did in week 1 but he was dreadful in that game so I guess that's not saying much. He was bad last year too though so I wasn't ever expecting that much out of him. I thought Glowinski was serviceable for most of last season, but you're right he was definitely the weakest link yesterday.
The Glowinski thing is surprising because like you I thought he was "ok" last year at LG, but now after moving back to the side he played in college he seems to be having a really rough time. I am starting to think we could see Pocic or Aboushi get a chance here pretty soon.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Glowinski thing is surprising because like you I thought he was "ok" last year at LG, but now after moving back to the side he played in college he seems to be having a really rough time. I am starting to think we could see Pocic or Aboushi get a chance here pretty soon.
Would not surprise me. They gotta try something and it seems like lately the best answer to the OL issues has been to find the best cohesive group and that means mixing and matching dudes. We might see Pocic in at multiple positions. Versatility was one of the reason they drafted him if I recall correctly.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what then? Trade him?

See QB is one of those positions where guys can ebb and flow depending on their confidence. Russ was playing gunshy and throwing off his back foot without striding into the throw like he does when he has a clean(er) pocket. So the ball sails.

If you watch QB's play year after year, this happens to a LOT of them. Henry Burris ended up owning a bunch of CFL records by the time he was done playing up here, and most of his big years were in Calgary. Got to know him a bit personally doing a CFL show at the time.

He'd have games where you could tell from his mechanics that he was off, and he was doing the exact same thing as Russ yesterday. Not stepping forward and transferring his weight, using all arm, and throwing off the back foot. Result? Ball sails consistently. Potential result? Picks. And losses.

Burris won one more Grey Cup in Calgary after those stretches, AND then won another ironically against Calgary after they let him go (age).

Point is, a good QB will have bad stretches, and can still recover and be elite.

How stupid would Denver have been to trade Elway after the early career blowouts in the Superbowl?

So what are you saying exactly with the above? That he sucks RIGHT NOW? That he's going to suck forever?

Who said anything about trading him? The expectations are to improve... not regressed. He regressed and obviously you're okay with it because of the continual excuses for this offense. Gave him the benefit of the doubt last year due to injuries, but what's the excuse this year? oline? Overused.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who said anything about trading him? The expectations are to improve... not regressed. He regressed and obviously you're okay with it because of the continual excuses for this offense. Gave him the benefit of the doubt last year due to injuries, but what's the excuse this year? oline? Overused.

RW hasn't play well in stretches the last year or so. I think when he's moving his passes tends to sail and when he's in the pocket, he doesn't set his feet well. He needs to improve on moving within a pocket, he tends to move in the wrong direction. Plenty of things he can improve on. Still think it starts with a stable, functional OL, from there you can start refining things for RW.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Seahawks had the lead. Then they didn't. Did the offense do that?

Lynch wasn't going to score from there. <shrug>

If Lockette doesn't lean, it's an easy pitch and catch and a TD. Best D coach in the NFL sells out to stop Marshawn.

Butler made an all-career play.

Not going to argue it again, but if you cant score from the 1 with 4 tries you dont belong in coaching.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not going to argue it again, but if you cant score from the 1 with 4 tries you dont belong in coaching.

... and exactly how were you going to stop the clock over and over if we couldn't punch it in the first couple times? Time would've ran out... RW was intercepted on 2nd down with 26 seconds left in the game...

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
more of the same. excuses, excuses, excuses.

bevell is a moron with no business being in the nfl. throwing to a 4th string WR with the superbowl on the line rather than using your best players? that alone is a fireable offense.

factoid:

seahawks are 27th in points scored, just behind the juggernaught luckless colts.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
more of the same. excuses, excuses, excuses.

bevell is a moron with no business being in the nfl. throwing to a 4th string WR with the superbowl on the line rather than using your best players? that alone is a fireable offense.

Not really... If we ran it on 2nd down and didn't get in, we would've had to use our last TO to stop the clock with 26 seconds remaining in the game... How would you run it 2 more times if we didn't get in on the 3rd?

You hate Bevel so much you just spew garbage w/out being realistic...

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you cant run 2 plays in 26 seconds?

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RW hasn't play well in stretches the last year or so. I think when he's moving his passes tends to sail and when he's in the pocket, he doesn't set his feet well. He needs to improve on moving within a pocket, he tends to move in the wrong direction. Plenty of things he can improve on. Still think it starts with a stable, functional OL, from there you can start refining things for RW.

From my understanding QB's that get into that habit tend to be subconsciously thinking about D players rolling around at their feet/ankles. Which given what Suh did to him, isn't a great surprise.

Because he's such a perfectionist, I expect as his pocket improves a bit, he'll get the fundamentals about weight shifts down again, and the ball will stop sailing.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
actually, wait, youre right. theres no way a bevell offense could run 2 plays in 26 seconds. my bad.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really... If we ran it on 2nd down and didn't get in, we would've had to use our last TO to stop the clock with 26 seconds remaining in the game... How would you run it 2 more times if we didn't get in on the 3rd?

You hate Bevel so much you just spew garbage w/out being realistic...

Glad you took that one