• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Week 6: Cardinals @ Seahawks 4:05/1:05. CTV/FOX

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In my brain I envision you leading the conference call with the same attitude and sense of humor you display here, please say it is so. Lol

lol, wish I could say it was so my man, but no, I try to keep some semblance of professionalism at work. It's my livelihood, can't F with that. I do sometimes pit one department against one another though and instigate (take both sides, but raise flags against both sides, but you're on both sides...). Generally results in less work that way.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4th forced fumble by K. Bryant... That's amazing... Reminds me of that DB for the Chicago Bears a few years back... Seemed like that guy was always forcing a TO...

Found it I was looking for this post. His name was Tillman! Charles Tillman would always punch the ball out when ever he tackled. He always swung at the ball on his tackles there is a reason he forced 44 fumbles in his career.

I was going to post something about Maxwell also but something happened in the game that got me distracted haha. I loved Tillmans game and always would compare Maxwell to him because of how he also would punch the ball out.

The way Kyler Murray carries the ball when running he should have 100 fumbles all ready though. I have NEVER seen him tuck the ball but i HAVE seen him UNTUCK the ball to carry it one handed.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only 3 games in the late window the other day, so RZC had no choice but to show lots of the Hawks game. My thoughts:
  • KW looks pretty studly. He is shifty, powerful, and has enough juice in the open field for big plays. Bright future.
  • Much better defensive performance. AZ moved the ball here and there, especially early, but keeping them off the board the whole way after the initial drive is commendable. Now the Cards had no James Connor or D-Hop, but at least no-names didn't run all over this unit.
  • What to make of Kyler Murray? He does damage with his legs, but I'm not scared of his arm at all. I'm not convinced we haven't already seen his best stuff as an NFL QB.
  • A handful of sacks is a good day for the pass rush even if some of those were their QB's fault.
  • Maddening not to see DK's first catch until the 3rd quarter. New season, new QB, same issues getting him the ball (sometimes).
  • Did the announcers say we are the most penalized team in the league? Maybe Denver has that title now after last night, but we commit way too many. Not a new problem for a PC team either.
Good to get the W, but I still see this as a 5/6 win team. Expected there would be a decent chance to get a win or 2 in the div (the Rams don't look good), but teams like the Jets and Giants will be tougher matchups than what we may have thought before the season. The Chargers will be a good test because I think their defense is pretty tough, and I expect our defense is going to have a tough time with Herbert & co.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good to get the W, but I still see this as a 5/6 win team. Expected there would be a decent chance to get a win or 2 in the div (the Rams don't look good), but teams like the Jets and Giants will be tougher matchups than what we may have thought before the season. The Chargers will be a good test because I think their defense is pretty tough, and I expect our defense is going to have a tough time with Herbert & co.

The Hawks could still win 8 or 9. Not so much because they are considerably better but rather than the other teams they are playing are not nearly as convincing.

The only game I think is a near certain loss is the Chiefs game. No other team has shown themselves to be that much better.

Giants are winning but you can't keep coming from behind the way they are and expect to win. Panthers are trash. Rams, Cards and Niners are all questionable. Bucs and Raiders aren't terrifying.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Hawks could still win 8 or 9. Not so much because they are considerably better but rather than the other teams they are playing are not nearly as convincing.

The only game I think is a near certain loss is the Chiefs game. No other team has shown themselves to be that much better.

Giants are winning but you can't keep coming from behind the way they are and expect to win. Panthers are trash. Rams, Cards and Niners are all questionable. Bucs and Raiders aren't terrifying.
Yeah, there are lots of ho-hum teams this year and more close games than ever. A couple weeks ago it looked like the Niners would run away with the division but now not sure. The Rams definitely have fallen off from last year, and the Cards are not impressive in any area. But I still don't know how the Hawks stack up. 8 or 9 wins is certainly possible, but things would really have to go our way. I am not convinced Geno won't regress to the mean, and the defense has been putrid in 4 of 6 games. The O has surprisingly good overall numbers but those were mostly compiled against bottom feeder type teams *and* losing Penny won't help. The 19 we put on the board yesterday vs Arizona (lower end of avg in pts/game) is not going to cut it on most days when our defense has been so easy to score on (T30th in pts/game).

In decreasing order of win likelihood, here's how I rank the remaining games:
  1. vs Panthers
  2. @ Cardinals
  3. vs Raiders
  4. vs Giants
  5. vs Jets
  6. vs Rams
  7. vs 49ers
  8. @ Rams
  9. @ Bucs
  10. @ Chargers
  11. @ Chiefs
Power Rankings are fluid and certainly are not the end-all-be-all, but they can provide a useful non-biased temperature check. ESPN has us at 18 and NFL.com 20. We'll probably slide back a touch after getting smoked by the Chargers in 5 days, but that pretty much puts us on the low end of league avg. Depending on which list you look at, only 2 or 3 teams on our remaining slate currently poll worse than us. That doesn't mean we'll win those games and lose all the others, but I think it's a fair and accurate assessment at this point. I guess we'll find out.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, there are lots of ho-hum teams this year and more close games than ever. A couple weeks ago it looked like the Niners would run away with the division but now not sure. The Rams definitely have fallen off from last year, and the Cards are not impressive in any area. But I still don't know how the Hawks stack up. 8 or 9 wins is certainly possible, but things would really have to go our way. I am not convinced Geno won't regress to the mean, and the defense has been putrid in 4 of 6 games. The O has surprisingly good overall numbers but those were mostly compiled against bottom feeder type teams *and* losing Penny won't help. The 19 we put on the board yesterday vs Arizona (lower end of avg in pts/game) is not going to cut it on most days when our defense has been so easy to score on (T30th in pts/game).

In decreasing order of win likelihood, here's how I rank the remaining games:
  1. vs Panthers
  2. @ Cardinals
  3. vs Raiders
  4. vs Giants
  5. vs Jets
  6. vs Rams
  7. vs 49ers
  8. @ Rams
  9. @ Bucs
  10. @ Chargers
  11. @ Chiefs
Power Rankings are fluid and certainly are not the end-all-be-all, but they can provide a useful non-biased temperature check. ESPN has us at 18 and NFL.com 20. We'll probably slide back a touch after getting smoked by the Chargers in 5 days, but that pretty much puts us on the low end of league avg. Depending on which list you look at, only 2 or 3 teams on our remaining slate currently poll worse than us. That doesn't mean we'll win those games and lose all the others, but I think it's a fair and accurate assessment at this point. I guess we'll find out.

Don't get me wrong. I can still see this team winning 4 or 5 games. But the truth is that this team could easily be 5-1 right now. And I could easily see this team win the next 2.

While I still think it is time to move on from Pete, it's not because he won't always field competitive teams.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't get me wrong. I can still see this team winning 4 or 5 games. But the truth is that this team could easily be 5-1 right now. And I could easily see this team win the next 2.

While I still think it is time to move on from Pete, it's not because he won't always field competitive teams.
Yeah, could be 5-1....could also be 1-5. I think the main reason we are not 5-1 is because of the defense. And when an entire unit of your team is bad, it's tough to overcome that and fix it in-season. The D was markedly better vs Arizona, but the opponent had something to do with that. The other acceptable defensive performance was vs Denver, and same deal there. I have little confidence this defense is going to be better than bottom 10 when the season is in the books. We are mostly on the same page though.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, could be 5-1....could also be 1-5. I think the main reason we are not 5-1 is because of the defense. And when an entire unit of your team is bad, it's tough to overcome that and fix it in-season. The D was markedly better vs Arizona, but the opponent had something to do with that. The other acceptable defensive performance was vs Denver, and same deal there. I have little confidence this defense is going to be better than bottom 10 when the season is in the books. We are mostly on the same page though.

Well certainly we are not a top 10 team by any means. But if we are being a little optimistic then it is likely that the defense will improve as the season goes on. Guys like Bryant and Woolen are already markedly better. The players will continue to understand and play within the system.

The defense won't be a good defense this year. Unless we magically replace Cody Barton with someone who is competent and Ryan Neal turns into a good safety which I'm not expecting.

The offense could continue to be above average. We have a lot of good skill position players. And Geno will likely put up decent numbers but he still isn't an top level QB so we will lose most close games with him.

Hopefully the Broncos keep struggling and we do better than expecting and we have a top 10 and top 20 pick.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Smart. Something is wrong with him. His throws are WAAAAAAAAY off, not even close. He was still one of the best deep ball passers prior to his injuries last season. I think him trying to 'gut it out' (which he did last season too) is stupid.. he's going to cause more harm than good. Live to fight another day.

As of now, what a bust trade by Denver, yeesh. It blows my mind Walterfootball, various sites (PFF, ESPN) were all grading this some sort of A grade for Denver and a D/F for Seattle.... I never saw it that way to begin with. That said, I didn't expect it to turn out this bad for Denver.... I didn't think Denver would win the division, but I thought they'd be for sure a playoff contender. At this point they're a top 10 draft pick contender.

They have a couple 'easy' games ahead of them with the Jets/Jags, but if Wilson sits, ooof.... and then after that outside of Carolina their schedule is fairly brutal. Denver may very well go 6-13 at BEST this year.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smart. Something is wrong with him. His throws are WAAAAAAAAY off, not even close. He was still one of the best deep ball passers prior to his injuries last season. I think him trying to 'gut it out' (which he did last season too) is stupid.. he's going to cause more harm than good. Live to fight another day.

As of now, what a bust trade by Denver, yeesh. It blows my mind Walterfootball, various sites (PFF, ESPN) were all grading this some sort of A grade for Denver and a D/F for Seattle.... I never saw it that way to begin with. That said, I didn't expect it to turn out this bad for Denver.... I didn't think Denver would win the division, but I thought they'd be for sure a playoff contender. At this point they're a top 10 draft pick contender.

They have a couple 'easy' games ahead of them with the Jets/Jags, but if Wilson sits, ooof.... and then after that outside of Carolina their schedule is fairly brutal. Denver may very well go 6-13 at BEST this year.

The Broncos didn't make the trade just for this year. Assuming that Russ can get right again, he still has 5 or so years of effective football ahead of him.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Would not be surprised to see Broncos lose to the Jets. Jets had a great draft and been playing pretty decent so far this season.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would not be surprised to see Broncos lose to the Jets. Jets had a great draft and been playing pretty decent so far this season.

Johnson and Gardner are playing pretty well. Jets have a decent defense in the making - that will always keep you in games. Broncos have a good D as well, but IMO with Wilson banged up, the RB situation (not sure what is going on with Gordon), and Bolles out for the year... Denver is not going to run away with any games. Every game will be a struggle. Kind of similar to how it was with Seattle in the early years, but Wilson's mobility is gone (or at least appears to be the case).

Broncos could very well be a 4-13 team. I didn't think it would be THIS bad... I was kind of thinking 9-8 or 10-7 for them... not a losing record though. Still 11 regular season games to go... that said, after the Jets/Jags/Panthers (next 4 weeks I think) the schedule gets fairly brutal for them. I really don't see them winning more than 7 at this point. Seattle and Indy were supposed to be 'lock wins'.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well certainly we are not a top 10 team by any means. But if we are being a little optimistic then it is likely that the defense will improve as the season goes on. Guys like Bryant and Woolen are already markedly better. The players will continue to understand and play within the system.

The defense won't be a good defense this year. Unless we magically replace Cody Barton with someone who is competent and Ryan Neal turns into a good safety which I'm not expecting.

Yeah, maybe you misread or I misunderstand what you say here, but I agree the D will not be good this year -- reiterate that I doubt it's better than bottom 10 at the finish. That's the main reason I see it unlikely we can win as many as 8 games. The D will do ok against the feeblest offenses like Carolina & Arizona, but I think most of the games will look like what we saw vs Atlanta & NO. When Taysom Hill more or less singlehandedly beats you, you have problems. But yeah, I think it (the D) will improve some over the coming weeks and these young players getting snaps now will make us that much better in the future.
The offense could continue to be above average. We have a lot of good skill position players. And Geno will likely put up decent numbers but he still isn't an top level QB so we will lose most close games with him.

Hopefully the Broncos keep struggling and we do better than expecting and we have a top 10 and top 20 pick.

The other reason I think we will still end up under 8 wins is because I just can't envision Geno Smith finishing the year as the league's top rated passer or anywhere close. I suppose just by the shear math of it all he would have to really backslide not to finish in the top 10 with over 1/3 of the season already in the books, but I would bet dollars to doughnuts that he's going to regress to the mean to at least some degree. If not, I guess we need to proclaim Pete as the QB whisperer instead of a defensive guru. Now wouldn't that be some irony -- Russell struggles all year in Denver while Geno Smith is a pro bowler after spending the last 8 years as a backup?? It's already been a crazy NFL season.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, maybe you misread or I misunderstand what you say here, but I agree the D will not be good this year -- reiterate that I doubt it's better than bottom 10 at the finish. That's the main reason I see it unlikely we can win as many as 8 games. The D will do ok against the feeblest offenses like Carolina & Arizona, but I think most of the games will look like what we saw vs Atlanta & NO. When Taysom Hill more or less singlehandedly beats you, you have problems. But yeah, I think it (the D) will improve some over the coming weeks and these young players getting snaps now will make us that much better in the future.

I think we are mostly in agreement here. I think the Seahawks could become a league average defense which would put them around 15-18.

The other reason I think we will still end up under 8 wins is because I just can't envision Geno Smith finishing the year as the league's top rated passer or anywhere close. I suppose just by the shear math of it all he would have to really backslide not to finish in the top 10 with over 1/3 of the season already in the books, but I would bet dollars to doughnuts that he's going to regress to the mean to at least some degree. If not, I guess we need to proclaim Pete as the QB whisperer instead of a defensive guru. Now wouldn't that be some irony -- Russell struggles all year in Denver while Geno Smith is a pro bowler after spending the last 8 years as a backup?? It's already been a crazy NFL season.

Given our current record I think that our floor is probably 5 or 6 wins and our ceiling is 8 or 9 wins. Geno is unlikely to keep his current form up but I think he could continue to be competent.