• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Week 9: Seahawks @ Ravens. 10/1 CBS/CTV

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pete: "What can we do here Shane to give the offense a boost?"
Shane: "Hmm.... well I can sub out the HB delay for the curl routes?"
Pete: "Got it, we still have the 4 plays though?"
Shane: "Oh yah, still only 4 plays to choose from!"
Pete: "....... DO IT!"

1.5 hours later:

Pete: "Well we just didn't execute on offense very well today, but we're working on it!"
Reporters: *look around nervously*
Next week it'll be 5 plays to choose from with the halfback option run/pass to DK and only to DK so he doesn't throw a fit.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just read a article and they said " Pete tell the truth Monday has turn into Make excuses for your QB Monday" lol oof

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the Seahawks, every Monday is a “Tell the Truth Monday,” which is one of those things that sounds pretty cool - Pete Carroll will talk to his team about the game the day before and presumably will be blunt and honest and forthright and all of those kinds of words that speak to good leadership. Another one of Carroll’s hallmarks is “Always Compete,” and unless I’m mistaken, it applies to everything and everyone in the organization. You have to fight to keep your job, and if you’re not good enough, the person behind you will replace you if he’s determined to be a better option.

Sorry, but all of this is B.S. as it pertains to Geno Smith. When he speaks to the media, “Tell the Truth Monday” will turn into “Make Excuses For My Quarterback Monday” or “I’m Gonna Try to Pull the Wool Over Your Eyes (Again) Monday.” We will hear about the offensive line not giving Geno enough time to operate. We will hear about the 37-3 loss to Baltimore not being Geno’s fault - it was everyone’s fault, from the poor-tackling defense to an offense that was inept overall.

But Smith’s play has been an ongoing issue that’s lasted more than a month now. He has turned the ball over eight times in the last four games with six interceptions and two lost fumbles. He has also been fortunate to have not thrown nine interceptions, three of which were dropped by defensive backs, and all of those looked like they would have been pick sixes. Facing so much constant pressure, it’s understandable why Smith has lost his confidence, appearing rattled and hesitant. It’s evident in other facets of his game - even routine passes don’t look so routine anymore when he air mails or underthrows an open receiver.

After earning a big contract with his play last year by turning in a season featuring 30 touchdown passes and 11 interceptions while leading the Seahawks to a surprising playoff appearance, Smith has regressed this season. He’s on a pace for 19 touchdown passes and 15 interceptions this year. Yet Carroll hangs on to him like he’s a life ring in the middle of an angry ocean. Most coaches would have replaced Smith in the fourth quarter Sunday against the Ravens with the game so out of hand. Let’s get some reps for the backup guy. It will help him down the road should the starter suffer an injury. But Smith took every snap for no good reason.

Some coaches would have replaced Smith at the start of the second half. He was that ineffective in the first half. It would have been a bold yet justifiable move, and I don’t think Seahawks’ fans would have been opposed to a switcheroo to someone else, anyone else. Funny thing is, the Seahawks don’t have some schmo as a backup. Well, Drew Lock might be, but that has yet to be determined. Then again, the Seahawks thought enough of Lock to give him even footing when Carroll miraculously opened up the quarterback competition with Smith last year.

Smith outplayed Lock in training camp and preseason and won the job, rightly so. But in the few times we’ve seen Lock since, he’s flashed in a good way and occasionally struggled too. Here’s the thing - by now, I’m pretty sure we’ve seen Geno’s ceiling, and that was pretty darn good in the first eight games of the 2022 season. But in the last 16 games, he’s vacillated between marginal to so-so, with some good and bad games sprinkled in. That’s fine if you think of yourself as a one-and-done playoff team like the Seahawks were last year. The Ravens showed them Sunday how far they have to go to be a Super Bowl contender.

With Lock at quarterback, there’s a chance he could be gawd awful and the Seahawks might not even make the playoffs. There’s a chance he could play just like Geno has, which wouldn’t be all that shocking since Lock has been a backup since he entered the league. But since we still don’t know about his potential, why not find out exactly what it is? And isn’t this the time to find out? I know this isn’t baseball, but when your starter struggles for four starts in a row, don’t you look at other options rather than simply trotting the guy out there again, expecting things to suddenly change? Lock could be the spark this team needs. And hell’s bells, if he’s not, at least you’re rolling the dice and actually honoring your “Always Compete” mantra. Let’s face it, if Smith were a right guard, he would have been replaced by now. It’s Monday, if you’re gonna tell the truth, Pete, admit that it’s time to give the ball to Drew Lock.

Last edited:

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty breakdown of some of the big plays by Matt Brown..

Seems like there is too many communication breakdowns between Geno and the WRs. I have no idea who is at fault on this. Could be Geno. Could be the receivers. Could be Waldron. But this has become a troubling trend.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hawks posted a 67 percent pressure rate against the Giants. Jones went 27-34 for 203 yards. Wish Geno could have did that.

How many points did the Giants score that game?

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hawks posted a 67 percent pressure rate against the Giants. Jones went 27-34 for 203 yards. Wish Geno could have did that.

BTW, this is what I'm talking about with your obsession. Rather than simply acknowledging that our OL played poorly, you STILL need to make it about Geno.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Good discussion between Brock and Salk.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For all that can be said about how bad this game is, I do give the Ravens a lot of respect. They honestly look really fucking good.

Every time Geno dropped back he was either under pressure or it didn't seem anyone was open, that or he was too chicken shit to throw the ball. Not that I think Drew Lock would be much of a better option tbh.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The media has begun to question whether Geno deserves to be starting, if he shits the bed again and God forbid we lose, the talk is going to get louder

Does it matter who starts? I dont think it does, neither of them are the guy and we will be picking a qb next draft.

That might mean geno or lock start the 24 season as QB1 but the rookie will take over sooner than later

Last edited:

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so you are saying we are the Giants and Geno Smith is Daniel jones?

This may seem weird to you but I am not interested in semantic word games. It's like you ignore everything I say and pretend that I'm some huge Geno fan.

I find Geno to be somewhere around Daniel Jones' ability level. Luckily we have a much better contract for Geno.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This may seem weird to you but I am not interested in semantic word games. It's like you ignore everything I say and pretend that I'm some huge Geno fan.

I find Geno to be somewhere around Daniel Jones' ability level. Luckily we have a much better contract for Geno.

Sounds familiar. You think I am some huge hater even though in 2021 i was one of the few here that thought he would do fine.

I just call a orange a orange and a lemon a lemon. You like to cover it in sugar or say it's the water that makes it bad.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds familiar. You think I am some huge hater even though in 2021 i was one of the few here that thought he would do fine.

I just call a orange a orange and a lemon a lemon. You like to cover it in sugar or say it's the water that makes it bad.

I brought up a stat about how the Seahawks O-Line gave up its worst pressure rate since 2018 and you decided to say that you would rather have Daniel Jones' performance against the Hawks where they scored the same number of points as we did against the Ravens.

What exactly was your point in doing that?

What you seem to completely not understand, at all, is that none of us are defending Geno. It just gets tired seeing you deflect every other criticism of this team towards Geno.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I brought up a stat about how the Seahawks O-Line gave up its worst pressure rate since 2018 and you decided to say that you would rather have Daniel Jones' performance against the Hawks where they scored the same number of points as we did against the Ravens.

What exactly was your point in doing that?

What you seem to completely not understand, at all, is that none of us are defending Geno. It just gets tired seeing you deflect every other criticism of this team towards Geno.

Had Geno thrown for 200 yards against that pressure means we would have kept the Ravens more in check AND would have scored more than 3 points. All he had to do was beat the pressure thats it, the plays were there to be made, we all saw it. Yes they were limited but in those games you have to take advantage and attack the blitz. We had a RPO where the WR screen ( 2 WR ) had 1 Defender covering them and no help! that should have been a TD. Brock said Geno is broken, his foot work is bad his vision is awful and he is making the wrong choices. Like i said before go out there light a fire under him go up tempo with timing patterns get him clicking. Stop making him do stuff he is NOT GOOD AT.

The staff likes to preach how they put players in the best position to have success. They are NOT doing that for Geno.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had Geno thrown for 200 yards against that pressure means we would have kept the Ravens more in check AND would have scored more than 3 points. All he had to do was beat the pressure thats it, the plays were there to be made, we all saw it. Yes they were limited but in those games you have to take advantage and attack the blitz. We had a RPO where the WR screen ( 2 WR ) had 1 Defender covering them and no help! that should have been a TD. Brock said Geno is broken, his foot work is bad his vision is awful and he is making the wrong choices. Like i said before go out there light a fire under him go up tempo with timing patterns get him clicking. Stop making him do stuff he is NOT GOOD AT.

The staff likes to preach how they put players in the best position to have success. They are NOT doing that for Geno.

Yes yes. We all know your views on Geno. We get it. Can we talk about things other than Geno? Like how poorly the OL played? Or does every discussion have to be about how much Geno sucks?