• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Week 1: Packers vs Seahawks ***MUST BEGIN TITLE DEFENSE***

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously a great result tonight and while there were a few hiccups, it didn't seem to matter much in the end. I noticed that Walters was back for the final punt return of the game. I don't know if that's a sign of things to come or just a break for Thomas at the end of a game that basically over. I guess we'll find out next week in San Diego.

Also of interest for next week is whether the Chargers come out on offense and do the same thing that the Packers tried to do with quick hitters and running the ball. I don't know who their starting running back is these days, but he's gotta be easier to bring down than Lacy. That guy was bouncing off of guys all night. He even bounced off of Kam and kept going once. He probably suffered a concussion on the play, but not many players stay on their feet and keep going forward after Kam hits them. He's gonna make some bad run defenses look awful this year.

Anyway... it was a good way to start the season and a good momentum builder for the road game next week. I don't get to watch that one, but I'm confident that the Seahawks can and will fix what didn't go right tonight and keep building on what did.

Jim Rome is Flaming

Check that, Chris Everett
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, the Seahawks looked every bit as good as they did last year. With the 49ers potentially heading toward a down year, it's going to be tough for any NFC team to take you guys out in the playoffs.

Tech_God

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Over 7k vCash won on Seahawks bets. Harold had some... interesting bets :scratch:, but came out a substantial winner.

Yep. Is there anyplace I can buy my fellow Seahawks fans a V-Beer with my winnings?

:yahoo:

Warden

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sherman on Cobb????

Have Maxwell on Nelson

Doesn't work that way, Sherman takes one side of the field , Maxwell takes the other ice of the field. Who covers Cobb, well depends on which side of the field he is on

Warden

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blown defense, no ILB should be running that far downfield. EXTREMELY poor planning by Seattle's D and ultimately blown plays by other players.

EDIT: Urlacher is the only recent ILB in recent memory that can make a play on a pass like that.

Well if Wagner turned his head not only would he would of made the play, he would of made the interception. This will be a good teaching tool for him.

Warden

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Biggest takeaway from the game: we need a different punt returner fast.

No we need to continue to work on things, get better, teach our players, not panic and over react the first time something goes wrong. Now after time if ET does not respond to coaching, then you make the change.

Last edited by a moderator:

Warden

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you know whats really scary? The hawks did not play a very good game really. LOL i am not joking either. They played ok but not as good as they could on both sides of the ball. Thinking about that just makes you realize just how GOOD this team could really be. It truly is a scary thought.

I don't see how you can claim we did not play a very good game. We went against a very good team that was ranked 6th in the power rankings, a team who has one of the best QBs in the league combined with a strong running game. We held that top notched QB to under 200 yards, held their run game to under 100 yards and put up over 400 yards of offense our selves. That is a good fucking game

Remember the other teams gets paid too, they have some good players who will make plays too, they are trying

Last edited by a moderator:

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Biggest takeaway from the game - Seahawks were ready to play. Everyone wants to point to past Super Bowler winners not being able to repeat, but the Hawks were ready to ball. I can only point to 4 mistakes the entire game (fumble, PI and 2 passes should have been picked).

Earlier I said Lynch was the offensive MVP, but I think I may have just been looking at stats and not thinking about who had the best game. I want to change that opinion to Zach Miller. Not only was he key in springing Harvin on nearly every run he had, but he also shut down Matthews when asked to block in the passing game game, made that insane diving catch (which he seems to do once every other week) and ensured that pass wasn't picked by his hustle. Dude had a game.

James Carpenter was also damn good last night. Not sure where some of those plays he had have been the last few years! If he plays like this all season, Carpenter may be a really big part of this offensive line. Speaking of which, they played pretty well last night. Wilson got pressured some, but it wasn't every play and he really didn't have to leave the pocket much. Very happy with their performance.

Though he's not Jeremy Lane at the nickel, I thought Burley held his own for a guy who has been here less than a week. Glad we made that move, cause losing Lane could've spelled many more problems for the defense than it did.

Biggest thing is that we had a good offensive day against a good team, but as Packers fans point out, they usually have slow starts. This was the same team that made Kap look like a league MVP last year week one, so time to focus on San Diego and repeat the butt kicking.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My observations.

The defense looks like they are just as good as last year. I'm fine with teams limited themselves to throw hooks and curls on one side of the ball. I'm not sure if every team will just concede the right side of the field to Sherman but I think that we can expect a healthy dose of the attack to go to Maxwell.

The offensive line looked as good as it has looked in year. Honestly that was one of their best performances. Maybe not Big Walt/Hutch good but if we can reliably get that kind of protection, the offense is going to be be fearsome.

Percy Harvin is the most electric player in the game. He was getting 8 yards before getting touched on every one of those jet runs. If he can stay healthy, this offense will be one of the best in the game.

When the Packers went for it on 4th down, a buddy of mine said to me "Every team in the league goes for it in that situation" and I responded "Most do. The Seahawks don't. They will always punt it that situation". He was dubious and then 10 minutes later the Seahawks punted from the 35 and pinned the Packers on the 10. As a fan I always want to see them go for it but you just can't argue with the effectiveness of their philosophy.

I felt that the target win number for this team is 12 this year. We may win more but I have a tough time seeing us win fewer than 11. Honestly the only thing that can stop us is injuries.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the o-line play was great but having Harvin in there helps them out a lot. When we put him in motion they have to bite because if they don't he's going to be gone, and with the #2 punch being one of the most physical RB's of all time it's just going to be next to impossible to stop it. I've been bashing Bevell for a few years now but he knows exactly how to use Harvin.

MKHawk

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the o-line play was great but having Harvin in there helps them out a lot. When we put him in motion they have to bite because if they don't he's going to be gone, and with the #2 punch being one of the most physical RB's of all time it's just going to be next to impossible to stop it. I've been bashing Bevell for a few years now but he knows exactly how to use Harvin.

Yeah, I hated the Bevell hire when it happened, but he's really shown a lot in 2013 and last night.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hated the Carroll hire and the Bevell hire. And that's why I'm not in charge of hiring people in the NFL.

This is almost certainly Bevell's last year as our OC. Someone is going to make him a HC.

MKHawk

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hated the Carroll hire and the Bevell hire. And that's why I'm not in charge of hiring people in the NFL.

This is almost certainly Bevell's last year as our OC. Someone is going to make him a HC.

Agreed on all counts. I think I started the Fire Pete Carroll thread as soon as he was hired. Oops.

octagondd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Entire Bronco nation groaned tonight. They know another ass kicking is coming Sept 21.

So did the Saints fans. They had dreams of getting HFA through the playoffs. They still could, but after our offense served notice last night, and the defense still played great in spite of the media hyping the fact we lost 5 starters, the dream got crushed a bit.

octagondd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No we need to continue to work on things, get better, teach our players, not panic and over react the first time something goes wrong. Now after time if ET does not respond to coaching, then you make the change.

Agreed. He will get a shot again. I think he was very antsy to make a big play, but he has to learn that securing the ball is the number one job on punt returns. If it is a short punt, you have to fair catch. They are giving your team yards by punting short. It sucks as the returner because you want to make a difference, but take the yards and the ball and move on.

FirebreathingMonkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Biggest thing is that we had a good offensive day against a good team, but as Packers fans point out, they usually have slow starts. This was the same team that made Kap look like a league MVP last year week one, so time to focus on San Diego and repeat the butt kicking.

Well to be fair they also make Kap look like league MVP in the wildcard game last year too. As Green bay was close to knocking the niners out last year but once again Kap torched them running everywhere. From what I remember it was nothing but open grass most of the time during that game. Its Green bay move against the 49ners.

Warden

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Four penalties, not too bad

North of Patagonia / South of Iguazu Falls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In case the 12th man wants to pat themselves on the back for their performance against Packers:

Apparently Packers defense struggled with their communication because of the crowd noise.

McCarthy also pointed to a wave of Seattle pre-snap substitutions that generated communication issues, leaving Green Bay's defensive personnel "unsettled."

Around The NFL scribe Dan Hanzus watched this beatdown from the press box and pointed out how Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers seemed "completely unfazed by the madness that raged around him."

Meanwhile, Green Bay's defense was in a different world, struggling all night to get its personnel into the game. McCarthy pointed to the Packers being down a man during one Seattle touchdown before later burning a timeout to avoid housing 12 men on the field..

McCarthy: Seahawks' offense left Packers 'unsettled' - NFL.com