• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Week 1: Packers vs Seahawks ***MUST BEGIN TITLE DEFENSE***

MKHawk

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey fellas,

I figured I'd bring over a tradition we had at KFFL. It started in the 2005 season I think, where we labeled every game thread _____ vs Seahawks ***MUST WIN***. When we did that, the Hawks won. When we didn't, they lost (at least predominantly). Throughout the years we've become a bit more creative with our titles, but the ***MUST*** factor remains.

Anywho, I'm feeling very good about our boys in this one. Similar to the Super Bowl, everyone's talking Packers O vs Seahawks D, and because of that people are sleeping on the Seahawks offense vs the Packers defense. I simply don't see Dom Capers and his schemes getting it done, and the Packers defense isn't talented enough to carry anything less than great schemes.

I believe Rodgers and the Pack will score their points (17-20ish), leading to headlines wondering just how far the Hawks D has fallen, but they will be drowned out by the headlines of how the Seahawks offense is stepping forward into the limelight as they put up 30+.

Go Hawks

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wanna just go "hulk mode". Tear through this old Matty 8. So wound up and reved right now. Wish i was there or on a bus ride there

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Positives:

Percy Harvin - All last season the fans were left just wondering exactly what the offense could do with a talent like Harvin on the field. Tonight, they'll get their first real look at him in action that really matters (yes, the Super Bowl was there, but he was still limited on what he could do and he won't be tonight). His absence last year did allow guys like Baldwin and Kearse to get a lot of action last year and the receivers look like they'll be one of the more solid units for the team this year.

Russell Wilson - He's coming off a second really good season that saw him improve upon a historic rookie campaign. Reports are that he may be even better than he was last year. It's amazing how many people still underestimate what he can do.

CenturyLink - The greatest home field advantage in football will be at it again. The noise seems to be an even bigger factor against teams in no-huddle offenses, since they tend to need more communication at the line. The Packers have had all off season to prepare for the environment, so let's see how they handle it in a real situation. Besides, the Hawks have won all 4 home openers under Carroll.

Negatives:

Eddie Lacy - Seattle has some issues with power backs, and its been that way for a while. The run D hasn't been as stout as people appear to think it is the last 2 seasons, but facing pass happy teams and getting ahead early have kept the run attempts low. If the Packers become one dimensional, even having one of the best QBs in the league may not help against the Hawks.

Depleted DBs - Jeremy Lane is listed as probable, but if he doesn't play then the team's CBs will be without their nickel and their #4 guy. Facing a guy like Randall Cobb without a nickel could be very dangerous.

Matchups:

Aaron Rodgers vs. LOB - The best QB vs. the best DBs. Could be a real solid matchup of strength vs. strength. The last time this happened in Seattle, Rodgers came out the loser (and not because of the pass), and I am sure he really doesn't want a repeat of that game.

GBOL vs. SEADL - In that forementioned game from a couple years ago, the Packers line was horrible, which helped the Seahawks DBs greatly. Both units are better now than they were then, but if the Seahawks can get consistent pressure, it'll be a long night for the Packers, but if not.....

Peppers/Matthews vs. Okung/Britt - This will be a very solid test of the offensive bookends, with two very good pass rushers. Britt will be seeing his first regular season action, and Okung has been hampered with minor knicks all preseason. Wilson may need all of his evasive ability tonight.

Overview:

This is really a good match up to start the season. I think Seattle is the better team, but as long as the Packers line can keep Rodgers upright, they'll be right there in it. Both teams should see this game as a great opportunity to get out the gate with a real challenge that will get them ready to be in the thick of things early (as a bunch of easy games early seem to make it more difficult to win hard games later). Here's hoping the game is good and injuries are few.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Positives:

Depleted DBs - Jeremy Lane is listed as probable, but if he doesn't play then the team's CBs will be without their nickel and their #4 guy. Facing a guy like Randall Cobb without a nickel could be very dangerous.

Sherman on Cobb????

Have Maxwell on Nelson

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sherman on Cobb????

Have Maxwell on Nelson

Can't see them changing up and putting Sherman on specific receivers now. Only did that once last year and that was Boldin in the first game. It's not how they roll.

Isn't Simon out as well? Thin indeed.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sherman on Cobb????

Have Maxwell on Nelson

Even if they did put someone on Cobb, I would think it would be Maxwell, since he has much more experience on the inside receiver than Sherman does. Cobb will line up everywhere, but I believe he's like Harvin and more of a slot receiver. I expect more of a Boykins/Nelson outside with Cobb inside, though they'll use lots of bunches and move their players around trying to make mismatches.

Dolemite censored

Bigfoot is real
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My gut feeling is that this is not going to be a close game, Packers will get blown out.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Seahawks come out to make a statement and run up the score.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone else worried at all with this hurry up no huddle style they are saying GB is going to run this game?

Not sure how they will pull that off with a rookie center. Will be interesting to see how it unfolds

Seahawksgal

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Totally psyched for this game. Unfortunately by the time I get home from work, the game will be about over, but that's what the dvr is for. I'd love a blowout, but also wouldn't be surprised if it was a close one.

Haven't posted since the Superbowl, but havebeen reading the board all off season. Also just got done placing my vcash brts. Not sure what I bet on, butbetted a total of $850.

$150 on GB (+5.5)
$500 on Sea (-5.5)
$100 on Sea (moneyline)
$100 on under 46.5
:yahoo:

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone else worried at all with this hurry up no huddle style they are saying GB is going to run this game?

Not sure how they will pull that off with it a rookie center. Will be interesting to see how it unfolds

From what I've heard the Packers were using it a lot in preseason, right up until they had to start using a rookie, then.....not so much. I hope they give it a go. It's not like the Seahawks haven't seen it before, and with a rookie center in the Clink, first game of the season. Good luck with that working.

I expect to see the Seahawks use a hurry up themselves. Should be interesting to see how it works out.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's with the "why not us" thing with the other teams? That's so last year. 2014 Hawks mantra should be "Why not you? Because of us!"

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is going to come down to containing Rodgers and Lacy. Gonna be a long night if they can't do that.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK gp Russell Wilson march it right down the field. Right after they stop the Packers.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's see if the offense can get to a fast start, put pressure on the Packers to abandon the run.