• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seahawks 2020 Draft thread!

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with you Shark. The more I have time and wait and read up on the kid. The more I like him.

This kid led his team in tackles as a freshman and a Junior

Senior... HE LED ALL OF COLLEGE FOOTBALL

20 TFL. Something that was a rarity for us last year.

Fast, tough, mentally tough, hitting Machine. I think we will fit in well with Bubba and KJ.

Maybe we can create some exotic blitzes for him to get to the QB.

Don’t hold your breath waiting for exotic blitzes with Norton at the helm ... Ain’t gonna happen

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don’t hold your breath waiting for exotic blitzes with Norton at the helm ... Ain’t gonna happen

True. I think this is one of those picks that people:

At first go Huh???????

But wait, read, and then go

tenor.gif

Also that speed will help us with something that burned us alot last year.

Covering Rbs and Tight Ends. He also has hands so a backer that can Finish turnovers.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
a team that is on the cusp with a wide open window and a HOFer at QB, its not a stretch that one impact player at a position with a HUGE void could be the difference.

The huge stretch is the assumption that a late 1st round pick would be an impact player especially when you are limiting that to a single position. How many late 1st DEs have EVER had an immediate impact?

i will be watching gross-matos and espeneza very closely.

And if they are both mediocre players, you'll forget about them.

i dislike prisco as much as the next seahawk fan, but you cant deny he is 100% correct. we have a huge need at pass rush and passed on two players that would have been good fits.

We have a huge need at pass rush. If we drafted Gross-Matos we would STLL have a huge need at pass rush.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
clowney/griffen/golden, yes get one of them. but why just that? we need a mix, we need a young pass rusher. relying on older players is going to leave us wanting.

as for ngokoue, his asking price will be way too high, multiple picks plus massive contract. hard pass.

We drafted a young pass rusher last year. We drafted another the year before. We also need to address other positions. I am not happy, at least up to this point, with Schneider not bringing Clowney back but I fully expect them to draft BPA based on their grading system in the draft and it largely doesn't matter what position they take since their draft board takes position into account.

You claim that they don't draft value and they don't BPA but ALSO don't criticize them for not drafting for need. Basically you are claiming they just randomly pick players because, apparently, if they don't rate players the way you rate players then clearly they aren't using a value system.

It's possible this pick will be a complete dud. But if they consider him the best player on the board then they should take him regardless of what a bunch of draft websites tell you.

This guy led college in tackles for loss and QB pressures for LBs. He's 240 lbs, which is a solid frame for a LB and ran a 4.5 3 days after being cleared for training. So he's both a highly productive player AND has great measurables. With his frame and speed he absolutely could be used as a pass rusher in some situations.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just my opinion, but everyone who thought drafting a RB early is a good idea should be totally fine with this pick. KJ is on the last year of his deal and is 31 years old. Kendricks is 29 and also a free agent. Bobby is 30 this year with high mileage at a very physically demanding position. You play 3 LBs at a time in our base set, so there is going to be plenty of opportunity to play early and often even if everyone stays healthy (and how often does that happen??). Brooks could easily be a starter at one of the LB spots going into 2021 and maybe sooner, along with Barton.

Yeah I would expect to see him on the field a lot assuming that he is as good as they think he can be. With his speed and tackling he can really slide to any LB spot. Ideally he would be a couple of inches taller to help on coverage situations but one spot where I could see him really shine is an area we've REALLY struggled with the past few seasons. RB screens. With his speed he should be able to help close those down, the way KJ and Bobby did back in the glory years.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you know i have always heard this little tid bit, if you value a guy and he won't be there with your next pick you take him now. So the rumor or census is he wouldn't have lasted past the 45th pick or the 2nd round, pick 13 in the 2nd was as far as he was going to drop. Ok i get it so take Brooks now But Queen was higher rated and still on the board. Well Queen did not have the continued success or production as Brooks.. ok i get it. Also Queen is smaller ... ok you are right. Brooks is more ready NOW to take over than Queen, ok i can see that.

Ok i think we all know that This team needed another Linebacker help and this guy ticks many of the same boxes Bobby did coming out of collage. I think he can become a day one starter on this team but we all know this team always makes the weirdest 1st round picks and it's so common we all just say " well what did you expect "

Last year the Hawks got Cody Barton in the 3rd round #88 overall. They also got another Linebacker in the 5th round, Ben Burr-Kirven. Who is a strong special teams player and maybe one day a middle of the pack starting linebacker but i think he is more likely a back-up. When looking at the 2019 and the 1st round of 2020 draft it makes me see they are working on replacing the middle of this defense ( the linebackers ). Makes sense as they were getting older and the fall off was starting to show from everyone BUT Bobby.

I think Brooks improves our run defense TODAY! now onto rounds 2-3.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The most intriguing part of that video to me was Jason La Canfora. Rather than be the constant Seahawks hater like Prisco where no matter what we do it's wrong, Jason went away from just his opinion and referenced the opinions of 10+ scouts. Scouts that he gets a lot of his information from, and that provide key information to ball clubs building and winning Super Bowls. To some of those scouts Brooks was considered as high as the #2 LB in this years draft, and on multiple occasions scouts compared this kid to Bobby Wagner. What else do you want out of a first round pick?

Mike Mayock has proven that sitting at a desk working for a network spewing his opinion means jack squat, it's the scouts in the trenches that should be heard. There's no guarantees in any draft, but considering the last few drafts this kid doesn't seem like the stretch we've seen as of late in the first.

Yeah La Canfora was absolutely gushing about this guy.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This guy led college in tackles for loss and QB pressures for LBs. He's 240 lbs, which is a solid frame for a LB and ran a 4.5 3 days after being cleared for training. So he's both a highly productive player AND has great measurables. With his frame and speed he absolutely could be used as a pass rusher in some situations.
He's an injury to any of 3 players away from being a starter. If you consider Bruce Irvin a DE, the LB position is 2 veterans and then a bunch of youth after that. Unless we bring Kendricks back (which may be less likely after yesterday), Brooks stands a great chance to see the field quite a bit this year. Anyone who thinks RB was a top need early in the draft because Chris Carson may have to be replaced next year has to feel the same way about LB, and therefore should be ok with the logic behind this pick unless there's something specific about Brooks that's a negative.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you know i have always heard this little tid bit, if you value a guy and he won't be there with your next pick you take him now. So the rumor or census is he wouldn't have lasted past the 45th pick or the 2nd round, pick 13 in the 2nd was as far as he was going to drop. Ok i get it so take Brooks now But Queen was higher rated and still on the board. Well Queen did not have the continued success or production as Brooks.. ok i get it. Also Queen is smaller ... ok you are right. Brooks is more ready NOW to take over than Queen, ok i can see that.

Ok i think we all know that This team needed another Linebacker help and this guy ticks many of the same boxes Bobby did coming out of collage. I think he can become a day one starter on this team but we all know this team always makes the weirdest 1st round picks and it's so common we all just say " well what did you expect "

Last year the Hawks got Cody Barton in the 3rd round #88 overall. They also got another Linebacker in the 5th round, Ben Burr-Kirven. Who is a strong special teams player and maybe one day a middle of the pack starting linebacker but i think he is more likely a back-up. When looking at the 2019 and the 1st round of 2020 draft it makes me see they are working on replacing the middle of this defense ( the linebackers ). Makes sense as they were getting older and the fall off was starting to show from everyone BUT Bobby.

I think Brooks improves our run defense TODAY! now onto rounds 2-3.

I agree with just about all of this.

I was somewhat surprised when I first saw the pick only because we have a couple of young players in Barton and BBK that are ostensible Mikes already. But, truth be told, MLB is one of those positions where a real difference make can transform the defense.

So I'm fine with the pick.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's an injury to any of 3 players away from being a starter. If you consider Bruce Irvin a DE, the LB position is 2 veterans and then a bunch of youth after that. Unless we bring Kendricks back (which may be less likely after yesterday), Brooks stands a great chance to see the field quite a bit this year. Anyone who thinks RB was a top need early in the draft because Chris Carson may have to be replaced next year has to feel the same way about LB, and therefore should be ok with the logic behind this pick unless there's something specific about Brooks that's a negative.

FTR, I don't think RB is a top need. I would be disappointed if they drafted a RB in the 2nd or 3rd. We need OT and DT depth.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FTR, I don't think RB is a top need. I would be disappointed if they drafted a RB in the 2nd or 3rd. We need OT and DT depth.
Same way I look at it. We need to invest in both lines with these upcoming picks.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's everyone's dream picks for tonight? I'd like to see an OT, DL, and CB taken with our next 3 picks (tonight anyway)... I'd just like to see us take talent at the selections we're given instead of trading back.

I think we're actually okay at safety. Blair was doing great last year and we spent a 2nd already on him, he just got injured.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

i would not be shocked if they take a RB seeing as they all fell into the 2nd round. Penny most likely is not ready to go at the start of the season Homer is not the answer so if taylor is there with their #2 pick they might just jump.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i would not be shocked if they take a RB seeing as they all fell into the 2nd round.

Yah but we're drafting SUPER late into the 2nd round and don't have the mid round capital to trade up. This is a pretty deep draft in terms of the lines and secondary... I think we'll focus our efforts there.

Naturally this means Seattle will draft a QB, kicker, and trade up for a tight end tonight, but whatever... :L

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the good news is Seattle will get to chose 5 more times before the 49ers get their next pick lol.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The huge stretch is the assumption that a late 1st round pick would be an impact player especially when you are limiting that to a single position. How many late 1st DEs have EVER had an immediate impact?

on this team, even a little contribution could be enough. collier was a total waste as a 1st rounder that provided literally 0. an actual DE with some pass rush ability would have been more than 0.

And if they are both mediocre players, you'll forget about them.
if they are mediocre i will be wrong.

We have a huge need at pass rush. If we drafted Gross-Matos we would STLL have a huge need at pass rush.

so dont take a DE then? thats ridiculous logic

We drafted a young pass rusher last year. We drafted another the year before.

collier was never a pass rusher and he isnt young, dude will be 25 when the season starts. ngokue is only a few months older than him and is going into his 5th year. such a fucking wasted and stupid pick its painful.

You claim that they don't draft value and they don't BPA but ALSO don't criticize them for not drafting for need. Basically you are claiming they just randomly pick players because, apparently, if they don't rate players the way you rate players then clearly they aren't using a value system.

as far as the 1st round goes, they havent been drafting for need.
collier- DE but not a pass rusher
penny- we didnt need a RB at the time in the 1st
christine michael- didnt need a RB that time either

when we do take need, like OL for instance, we take the wrong ones. its hard to sit through draft after draft making the same mistakes over and over in the 1st round and not be completely demoralized. its even more puzzling to see 10 years of this and still defend it.

It's possible this pick will be a complete dud. But if they consider him the best player on the board then they should take him regardless of what a bunch of draft websites tell you.

this is ego and its bad drafting. the reason they had good drafts early is because they waited to get their guys because they understood they would be available later. now they go all in and overdraft guys because they feel so confident they will be right. this is folly and it has bit us in the ass more than a few times.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One hour to go before Day 2 kicks off. 3 picks today...hard to think we won't trade down with at least 1 of those, but I guess we'll see. Would like to see at least 1 pick on each line, and I think it would be great if some of players that were mocked for us in rnd 1 are still hanging around for us to get a 2nd crack at them.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No.

I hope it was - but I had him as a 4th rounder, though I did see him mid 2nd in some places (including the SportsHoopla mock).

After watching more of him, I don't dislike him as a player but I don't see a fit. Most things I've read have him as an inside linebacker at the NFL level and we have Bobby Wagner for another three years. OLB? K.J. Wright is the starter for 2020 and appears unlikely to be cut.

If we were looking for a replacement for K.J. Wright I believe we already have that in Cody Barton. This is a move that likely won't impact the 2020 team significantly unless the Seahawks cut K.J. Wright or someone gets hurt.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5th best LB.

But why not pass rusher?

WE FUCKING NEED A PASS RUSHER.

After reading more into him and watching his tape, I think he's better than the 5th best linebacker. He actually does remind me a lot of Bobby Wagner. The issue is that he's best off as an inside linebacker.

The thing that worries me is that this tells me that the Seahawks will continue their idiotic philosophy of running with 3 linebackers on the field 75% of the time and this was their way of replacing Kendricks.