• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seahawks 2020 Draft thread!

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Need speed at LB, seems like it fits the bill. I'm guessing they have an edge rusher in mind tomorrow.

I just don't see how he will get playing time in 2020 if K.J. Wright and Bobby Wagner are healthy. I think he's a good player, but he's best suited at inside linebacker which is currently occupied for the next 3 years.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
on this team, even a little contribution could be enough. collier was a total waste as a 1st rounder that provided literally 0. an actual DE with some pass rush ability would have been more than 0.

So reach for a player they don't rate highly because they need something on the edge?

if they are mediocre i will be wrong.

Won't stop you from criticizing future draft picks.

so dont take a DE then? thats ridiculous logic

Take the player that will best help the team regardless of position.

collier was never a pass rusher and he isnt young, dude will be 25 when the season starts. ngokue is only a few months older than him and is going into his 5th year. such a fucking wasted and stupid pick its painful.

Collier was supposed to be a point of attack edge rusher, not a straight pass rusher.
as far as the 1st round goes, they havent been drafting for need.
collier- DE but not a pass rusher
penny- we didnt need a RB at the time in the 1st
christine michael- didnt need a RB that time either

So Collier doesn't count because reasons. We certainly had question marks at RB when we drafted Penny as Carson was, and still is, a big injury risk. Michael wasn't a 1st round pick.

when we do take need, like OL for instance, we take the wrong ones. its hard to sit through draft after draft making the same mistakes over and over in the 1st round and not be completely demoralized. its even more puzzling to see 10 years of this and still defend it.

If only they had you and your brilliance, then they would never miss on a player.

this is ego and its bad drafting. the reason they had good drafts early is because they waited to get their guys because they understood they would be available later. now they go all in and overdraft guys because they feel so confident they will be right. this is folly and it has bit us in the ass more than a few times.

Ego? WTF does that even mean? Why would ego have ANYTHING to do with this?

I frigging hate the word overdraft. It's a dumb term used by people who think they know what's going on based on reporters and not actual front office people.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since their first draft can you ever say they hit on a 1st rounder.

Probably why I'm more excited about the second round and third rounds. After drafting Cody Barton and Ben Burr-Kirven last year, I would've figured that linebacker or QB would've been the least likely selections in the first round.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We drafted a young pass rusher last year. We drafted another the year before. We also need to address other positions. I am not happy, at least up to this point, with Schneider not bringing Clowney back but I fully expect them to draft BPA based on their grading system in the draft and it largely doesn't matter what position they take since their draft board takes position into account.

You claim that they don't draft value and they don't BPA but ALSO don't criticize them for not drafting for need. Basically you are claiming they just randomly pick players because, apparently, if they don't rate players the way you rate players then clearly they aren't using a value system.

It's possible this pick will be a complete dud. But if they consider him the best player on the board then they should take him regardless of what a bunch of draft websites tell you.

This guy led college in tackles for loss and QB pressures for LBs. He's 240 lbs, which is a solid frame for a LB and ran a 4.5 3 days after being cleared for training. So he's both a highly productive player AND has great measurables. With his frame and speed he absolutely could be used as a pass rusher in some situations.

Based on his tape he looks way faster than a 4.5 40. I watched his tape before looking at his measurables and his play speed is way faster than that.

Would've been nice if that trade with Green Bay worked out and we were able to select him a few slots later.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One hour to go before Day 2 kicks off. 3 picks today...hard to think we won't trade down with at least 1 of those, but I guess we'll see. Would like to see at least 1 pick on each line, and I think it would be great if some of players that were mocked for us in rnd 1 are still hanging around for us to get a 2nd crack at them.

I was talking with a friend of mine and I actually hope the Seahawks find a way to move up in the second round. There is a lot of first round talent still available that could get snatched up early on.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yah but we're drafting SUPER late into the 2nd round and don't have the mid round capital to trade up. This is a pretty deep draft in terms of the lines and secondary... I think we'll focus our efforts there.

Naturally this means Seattle will draft a QB, kicker, and trade up for a tight end tonight, but whatever... :L

Ya'll might disagree with me on this, but I'd like to see the Seahawks try to get another pick early in the second round. I would seriously consider trading our 2021 first round pick for a second round pick in 2020.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya'll might disagree with me on this, but I'd like to see the Seahawks try to get another pick early in the second round. I would seriously consider trading our 2021 first round pick for a second round pick in 2020.

I mean... Wilson is 31 and will be 32 in about 6 months... the window on him is KIND of closing... he's probably got one good contract left assuming he doesn't pull a Brady/Brees in terms of longevity, and I'd argue as much as he extends plays/scrambles that time is a bit more limited.

Question for you 234 is, who would you take assuming they got an early 2nd? And would it just be better instead to give up the 1st for Trent Williams who is a younger replacement for Brown (who is 3 years older)? Williams + Brown this year and next could be a far better option than another draft pick, especially if we're in win now mode (which we are, if half the offense wasn't injured after the stupid Cards game I'd argue we take the division and represent NFC in the Super Bowl).

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't see how he will get playing time in 2020 if K.J. Wright and Bobby Wagner are healthy. I think he's a good player, but he's best suited at inside linebacker which is currently occupied for the next 3 years.
Even if we assume Bobby's and KJ's spots would be the only place he could play, the chances of both of those older players being 100% healthy all season seem pretty remote to me. I would love for it to happen, but they both tend to miss a couple games a year on avg. And beyond that, I don't know why Brooks couldn't see the field a decent amount at the other spot in a mix with Barton unless Barton just takes control it from day 1 (a good problem to have).

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was talking with a friend of mine and I actually hope the Seahawks find a way to move up in the second round. There is a lot of first round talent still available that could get snatched up early on.
With less time to train up the new guys this off-season, it may be a good year to trade up and come out of the draft with only a handful of high quality prospects vs the usual routine of as many darts thrown at the board as possible.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Could be passing downs is where he gets in. Wrs and TEs ate their lunch last year on crossing routes and he brings speed into that mix.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean... Wilson is 31 and will be 32 in about 6 months... the window on him is KIND of closing... he's probably got one good contract left assuming he doesn't pull a Brady/Brees in terms of longevity, and I'd argue as much as he extends plays/scrambles that time is a bit more limited.
Not sure if you golf, but in those terms I think Russell is just making the turn to the back 9. He's played 8 seasons and probably can go 8 more with how durable and driven he is. It seems all the other elite, HOF level QBs are playing well into their late 30s these days and even beyond.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

While he's best suited at MLB that doesn't mean he can only play MLB. He played Will for his first 3 seasons.

Pretty good take here.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we were looking for a replacement for K.J. Wright I believe we already have that in Cody Barton. This is a move that likely won't impact the 2020 team significantly unless the Seahawks cut K.J. Wright or someone gets hurt.

In fairness, no one we drafted here is likely to have a big impact this season. Very few rookies are impactful especially on playoff caliber teams.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if you golf, but in those terms I think Russell is just making the turn to the back 9. He's played 8 seasons and probably can go 8 more with how durable and driven he is. It seems all the other elite, HOF level QBs are playing well into their late 30s these days and even beyond.

I do golf and hope you're right.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based on his tape he looks way faster than a 4.5 40. I watched his tape before looking at his measurables and his play speed is way faster than that.

Would've been nice if that trade with Green Bay worked out and we were able to select him a few slots later.

Yeah. I really like how he really explodes in the gaps to get to the runner or QB. Sounds like he still needs to learn how to shed blockers, which isn't surprising for a rookie.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some live chat with Moyer and some other Seahawks folks...

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ah so the Bengals were linked to Brooks... interesting. No surprise, they need a 'coach' on defense and with one of the worst run defenses in the league, it makes sense why they'd want him. Wouldn't be surprised if the Bengals are taking a linebacker at 33.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 picks tonight. Hoping for a DE, OL, and CB.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ah so the Bengals were linked to Brooks... interesting. No surprise, they need a 'coach' on defense and with one of the worst run defenses in the league, it makes sense why they'd want him. Wouldn't be surprised if the Bengals are taking a linebacker at 33.
Did you hear the interview with Brooks on 710 this morning? He said he "expected" to be picked in the latter part of the 1st round. Not that he thought he was a first rounder or that he had a dream about being a first rounder, but he expected it. To me, this means that multiple teams expressed interest in taking him if he was available at their spot at the end of rnd 1. I guess he could be making it up or teams were just blowing smoke, but I don't know what either party has to gain there. This seems to line up with reports of the Bengals eyeing him at 2.1.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you hear the interview with Brooks on 710 this morning? He said he "expected" to be picked in the latter part of the 1st round. Not that he thought he was a first rounder or that he had a dream about being a first rounder, but he expected it. To me, this means that multiple teams expressed interest in taking him if he was available at their spot at the end of rnd 1. I guess he could be making it up or teams were just blowing smoke, but I don't know what either party has to gain there. This seems to line up with reports of the Bengals eyeing him at 2.1.

I didn't JMR. I know someone who works for the Seahawks who gave me his interview super early this AM but was tied up at work and just never got around to it.

That said, a few sites I visit said there was interest from teams grabbing Brooks in the early 2nd frame, which is why Seattle pulled the trigger. I've read a few posts on this forum and some sites (not trying to put down anyone, I don't expect most to know every team/player, I don't) saying Brooks would've fallen to our 2nd rounder (very late) and I am calling bullshit on that 100%. Brooks would've been gone in the first 5 2nd round picks tonight.