• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seahawks 2020 Draft thread!

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya youre right, winning the superbowl this year isnt the goal. Its a few years down the road when russell is 37.

You are what we call an NPC. Whatever the team does is good, dont think for yourself, just consume product and get excited for next product.

If this team is relying on a rookie to propel them to the Super Bowl immediately, they are doomed to disappointment.

It's possible that one of the players taken after we took Brooks will be an immediate impact player but it is completely random.

But hey, you got Pete Prisco on your side...

And he's never been wrong about the Seahawks.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I try to be reasonable about things, not make hasty judgments fueled by emotion, consider as many relevant data points as I can get my hands on, rely on those subject matter experts I trust, and not pretend to know things I don't. That certainly makes me different than you, but it doesn't mean I don't think for myself. It just means I think.

Everything I'm reading about this guy is that he is a legit production guy. 20 TFL on a pretty poor defense is pretty darn good. It's good on any defense.

240lb linebacker with 4.5 speed and a reliable tackler. I feel like we've seen that type of player before and it worked out pretty well for us.

I suspect that, assuming he stays healthy, he is going to get a LOT of snaps.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I try to be reasonable about things, not make hasty judgments fueled by emotion, consider as many relevant data points as I can get my hands on, rely on those subject matter experts I trust, and not pretend to know things I don't. That certainly makes me different than you, but it doesn't mean I don't think for myself. It just means I think.

make hasty judgments
We have 10 years of drafts with this team, its not a hasty judgment to see this reach and be disappointed in it. they let their ego get the best of them again. "if bobby wagner was in this draft, just take him as early as you can!" that is their MO. dont draft on value, dont draft BPA, just take the guy you want because you know you are right about him. I am convinced if they had a top 10 pick they would still pick some scrub that would be available in round 2, just like they did with bruce irvin.

consider as many relevant data points as I can get my hands on
except relevant draft history, we can ignore all that.

rely on those subject matter experts I trust
except the experts that say this is a terrible reach, we can ignore all of them.

not pretend to know things I don't
ah yes, your holier than thou BS. "i withhold my opinions and therefore i can never be wrong and never have to admit mistakes therefore i am better than you".

but it doesn't mean I don't think for myself.
the thing about NPCs is that they dont know they are NPCs. that is clearly your case.

It just means I think.
i havent seen that. all i see is a never question authority attitude

our franchise QB is going into year 9, we have a desperate need at pass rusher, our window is open but for how long? yes lets draft a MLB that is currently filled by a potentially future HOFer. even you have to at least admit this wasnt the most prudent pick at this time.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
our franchise QB is going into year 9, we have a desperate need at pass rusher, our window is open but for how long? yes lets draft a MLB that is currently filled by a potentially future HOFer. even you have to at least admit this wasnt the most prudent pick at this time.

I've been very clear that the Seahawks need to do more at DE if we want to have any shot of being a Super Bowl contender.

But that does NOT mean that we needed to draft a DE to fill that role.

I will be VERY surprised if we don't have one of Clowney, Ngokoue, Griffen, or Golden on the roster by training camp. THAT is what this team needs. It does NOT need another inexperienced pass rusher who will take the entire season to even begin to get effective.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this team is relying on a rookie to propel them to the Super Bowl immediately, they are doomed to disappointment.

a team that is on the cusp with a wide open window and a HOFer at QB, its not a stretch that one impact player at a position with a HUGE void could be the difference.

It's possible that one of the players taken after we took Brooks will be an immediate impact player but it is completely random.

i will be watching gross-matos and espeneza very closely.

i dislike prisco as much as the next seahawk fan, but you cant deny he is 100% correct. we have a huge need at pass rush and passed on two players that would have been good fits.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been very clear that the Seahawks need to do more at DE if we want to have any shot of being a Super Bowl contender.

But that does NOT mean that we needed to draft a DE to fill that role.

I will be VERY surprised if we don't have one of Clowney, Ngokoue, Griffen, or Golden on the roster by training camp. THAT is what this team needs. It does NOT need another inexperienced pass rusher who will take the entire season to even begin to get effective.

clowney/griffen/golden, yes get one of them. but why just that? we need a mix, we need a young pass rusher. relying on older players is going to leave us wanting.

as for ngokoue, his asking price will be way too high, multiple picks plus massive contract. hard pass.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guess the more I think about it, Seattle had one of the worst rush defenses last year, we seem to love using a 3 linebacker set, KJ Wright doesn't appear the same after his injury a couple years back, and Wagner is probably not too far off from an injury (just given the hits he's taken over the years, similar to Keuchley) - he may even retire after his contract is up.

Our linebacker depth is actually fairly weak, so I guess this is not only insurance for Wagner/Wright, but Kendricks is also gone and Barton wasn't lighting it up last year.

I'm with you Shark. The more I have time and wait and read up on the kid. The more I like him.

This kid led his team in tackles as a freshman and a Junior

Senior... HE LED ALL OF COLLEGE FOOTBALL

20 TFL. Something that was a rarity for us last year.

Fast, tough, mentally tough, hitting Machine. I think we will fit in well with Bubba and KJ.

Maybe we can create some exotic blitzes for him to get to the QB.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i dislike prisco as much as the next seahawk fan, but you cant deny he is 100% correct. we have a huge need at pass rush and passed on two players that would have been good fits.

Either way you slice it LB was a need. As is pass rush. If they do nothing else to address the pass rush then yeah I have an issue with that. But PC/JS thought Brooks was a better fit for them over reaching for the Edge players on the board then Im willing to let that play out. Pass Rush could happen today, or it may be a trade in July/August. Regardless I trust that it will be addressed, Im just not upset that it wasnt addressed yesterday.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I personally didn’t view those two edge rushers available with 27 as any better players than Green and Collier, which we already have on our roster. None of those guys at defensive end with 27 that were available set themselves apart than what we currently have in my opinion.I’m glad the way we went with Brooks.

Last edited:

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something that I thought about when I was listening to ABC'S coverage.

What about moving McDougal to FS, Diggs to CB and having Brooks play SS?

Like Bam Bam Kam

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with you Shark. The more I have time and wait and read up on the kid. The more I like him.

This kid led his team in tackles as a freshman and a Junior

Senior... HE LED ALL OF COLLEGE FOOTBALL

20 TFL. Something that was a rarity for us last year.

Fast, tough, mentally tough, hitting Machine. I think we will fit in well with Bubba and KJ.

Maybe we can create some exotic blitzes for him to get to the QB.

1) Led all NCAAF linebackers in QB pressures last year - I generally value this more than sacks as it generates a more consistent threat and forces INTs, incompletions. This goes to your point as creating some exotic... do we even need exotic? Anyway, blitz scenarios for him are totally an option.

2) Led all NCAAF in TFL - Agreed 100% with you there, Seattle had 3 players in the top 100 on tackles for loss. Clowney (who was half of Donald), not resigned as of now, Kendricks who is gone, and Wagner who is IMO at risk for injury.

3) Covers well, 3 down player. Seattle was using a 3 linebacker set a lot last year. The difference was KJ Wright and Kendricks clearly lost a step and just couldn't keep up with the speed of the game. I think this is KJs last year personally, but who knows.

4) Team Captain/High Character - He exclusively talked about Wagner/Wright in his interview, but this guy is well spoken, was a team player and tight with the coaches. About as close to a Bobby Wagner clone character wise as you're going to get.

I'd like to see Seattle grab some secondary help and DT help in the 2nd frame tonight. We spent a considerable amount of money/resources on the offense in free agency, but the D was the glaring issue last year.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something that I thought about when I was listening to ABC'S coverage.

What about moving McDougal to FS, Diggs to CB and having Brooks play SS?

I'd like to see Blair play SS... he was doing great last year until he got injured. His hits at Utah were monstrous. I don't think we have QUITE the safety depth issue that most think we do.. I'd rather see us go CB.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) Led all NCAAF linebackers in QB pressures last year - I generally value this more than sacks as it generates a more consistent threat and forces INTs, incompletions. This goes to your point as creating some exotic... do we even need exotic? Anyway, blitz scenarios for him are totally an option.

2) Led all NCAAF in TFL - Agreed 100% with you there, Seattle had 3 players in the top 100 on tackles for loss. Clowney (who was half of Donald), not resigned as of now, Kendricks who is gone, and Wagner who is IMO at risk for injury.

3) Covers well, 3 down player. Seattle was using a 3 linebacker set a lot last year. The difference was KJ Wright and Kendricks clearly lost a step and just couldn't keep up with the speed of the game. I think this is KJs last year personally, but who knows.

4) Team Captain/High Character - He exclusively talked about Wagner/Wright in his interview, but this guy is well spoken, was a team player and tight with the coaches. About as close to a Bobby Wagner clone character wise as you're going to get.

I'd like to see Seattle grab some secondary help and DT help in the 2nd frame tonight. We spent a considerable amount of money/resources on the offense in free agency, but the D was the glaring issue last year.

I'd be happy with BOTH and a OL or RB tonight.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be happy with BOTH and a OL or RB tonight.

I see us going defense/defense but who knows. I'd love Jonathan Taylor but no way he falls to our late 2nd. Even if he did Schneider and Carroll will probably pass on him and draft a quarterback... Packers... :pound:

FirebreathingMonkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

blitz scenarios for him are totally an option.- HA HA HA Seattle blitzing HA HA HA. ......:Cry:

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The part of that I really got a kick out of is the banner at the top of the video that says something along the lines of "Seahawks failed to address team needs with pick #27"

Our defense was ranked near the bottom of the league last year. We just added someone who played defense at a high level in college, who is 240 pounds with 4.5 speed, tough & physical in the middle of the defense. I have a hard time understanding how we failed to address a team need here. We certainly have more work to do on that side of the ball, but to even include the word "fail" in a headline about this pick is just ridiculous when we aren't even 24 hours beyond it yet.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The most intriguing part of that video to me was Jason La Canfora. Rather than be the constant Seahawks hater like Prisco where no matter what we do it's wrong, Jason went away from just his opinion and referenced the opinions of 10+ scouts. Scouts that he gets a lot of his information from, and that provide key information to ball clubs building and winning Super Bowls. To some of those scouts Brooks was considered as high as the #2 LB in this years draft, and on multiple occasions scouts compared this kid to Bobby Wagner. What else do you want out of a first round pick?

Mike Mayock has proven that sitting at a desk working for a network spewing his opinion means jack squat, it's the scouts in the trenches that should be heard. There's no guarantees in any draft, but considering the last few drafts this kid doesn't seem like the stretch we've seen as of late in the first.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The part of that I really got a kick out of is the banner at the top of the video that says something along the lines of "Seahawks failed to address team needs with pick #27"

Our defense was ranked near the bottom of the league last year. We just added someone who played defense at a high level in college, who is 240 pounds with 4.5 speed, tough & physical in the middle of the defense. I have a hard time understanding how we failed to address a team need here. We certainly have more work to do on that side of the ball, but to even include the word "fail" in a headline about this pick is just ridiculous when we aren't even 24 hours beyond it yet.

As was stated above. this kid won't get beat out by Josh McCown in a foot race during the playoffs. How exactly does that not make that situation better?

Reactions: JMR

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everything I'm reading about this guy is that he is a legit production guy. 20 TFL on a pretty poor defense is pretty darn good. It's good on any defense.

240lb linebacker with 4.5 speed and a reliable tackler. I feel like we've seen that type of player before and it worked out pretty well for us.

I suspect that, assuming he stays healthy, he is going to get a LOT of snaps.
Just my opinion, but everyone who thought drafting a RB early is a good idea should be totally fine with this pick. KJ is on the last year of his deal and is 31 years old. Kendricks is 29 and also a free agent. Bobby is 30 this year with high mileage at a very physically demanding position. You play 3 LBs at a time in our base set, so there is going to be plenty of opportunity to play early and often even if everyone stays healthy (and how often does that happen??). Brooks could easily be a starter at one of the LB spots going into 2021 and maybe sooner, along with Barton.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As was stated above. this kid won't get beat out by Josh McCown in a foot race during the playoffs. How exactly does that not make that situation better?
Yep, right now our starting LBs are Bobby, KJ, and presumably Barton. Kendricks isn't under contract. A year from now he could easily be walking into camp as a locked in starter and should get plenty of playing time as a rookie.