• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seahawks 2020 Draft thread!

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great thing about Brooks is he's a 4 year starter in college who is 23 years old... With the potential shortened offseason, he will be ready to go more than most rookies we will draft... We needed Brooks... SF, LA and AZ all have above average running games... Brooks is a head hunter... He's a room tilter... He's an alfa male tough SOB... With all the mis-directions SF runs we need a guy who can hit gaps, with the side line to side line speed he does who can lay a punch... He's a perfect fit on this team... He's a show stopper type of impact player...

Please stop with the reach chat... Bmore AND NO's were looking at drafting him after our pick... Also, you can't go by mock drafts after the 15th pick in the 1st... After that, it's a crap shoot, especially when it get's into the 20-32 picks of the 21st round...

I'm glad we didn't take Gross-Matos and Espenesa... They're not impact, room tilt type of players... IMO, we already have a bunch of situational DE's on our team... Those two guys weren't going to be any better than what we have and certainly wouldn't have made more of an impact on the field than Green; Collins; B. Jackson; B. Irvin and Mayowa... And also, just because a player has the initials, "DE", next to his name in the draft, doesn't mean he's a good fit in our scheme... That's not how Mel Kiper Jr ranks players...

Outside DK last year, Brooks is one of my favorite picks the Hawks have made in a while... He's going to be a stud... Bobby Wager, Mike Singletary, Zach thomas potential...

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if we assume Bobby's and KJ's spots would be the only place he could play, the chances of both of those older players being 100% healthy all season seem pretty remote to me. I would love for it to happen, but they both tend to miss a couple games a year on avg. And beyond that, I don't know why Brooks couldn't see the field a decent amount at the other spot in a mix with Barton unless Barton just takes control it from day 1 (a good problem to have).

I just feel like we have so many other pressing needs that a backup/rotational linebacker isn't worth all that much at this point. It's also just a personal belief that linebacker these days is the least valuable position on defense unless they are great in coverage.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With less time to train up the new guys this off-season, it may be a good year to trade up and come out of the draft with only a handful of high quality prospects vs the usual routine of as many darts thrown at the board as possible.

There are a ton of guys still available who I think are justifiably first round picks. Crossing my fingers that the Seahawks take advantage of that.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please stop with the reach chat... Bmore AND NO's were looking at drafting him after our pick... Also, you can't go by mock drafts after the 15th pick in the 1st... After that, it's a crap shoot, especially when it get's into the 20-32 picks of the 21st round...
Yeah, Clayton was saying earlier that he only had 24 of 32 players on his mock go in round 1. A quick glance through some other mocks from "experts" was about the same result. Of the 8 I looked at earlier today on nfl.com, about half of the players or more mocked for us didn't even get picked last night, including the edge guy from PSU.

The reality is the back half of round 1 is very murky, and "experts" don't have that great of a read on what the teams are truly thinking or will do after about pick 12-15.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could be passing downs is where he gets in. Wrs and TEs ate their lunch last year on crossing routes and he brings speed into that mix.

Issue is with him is that he's a ball hawk but apparently isn't great in coverage and doesn't have much experience in coverage. Don't get me wrong I think he's a good linebacker, but he's better at run defense than pass defense.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Issue is with him is that he's a ball hawk but apparently isn't great in coverage and doesn't have much experience in coverage. Don't get me wrong I think he's a good linebacker, but he's better at run defense than pass defense.

Maybe they'll work on his coverage skills

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While he's best suited at MLB that doesn't mean he can only play MLB. He played Will for his first 3 seasons.

Pretty good take here.

I don't hate the pick like I did the L.J. Collier pick, I think Brooks will be a good player but I just wonder how prudent it was taking a linebacker in the first round when we already have a lot of depth there.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In fairness, no one we drafted here is likely to have a big impact this season. Very few rookies are impactful especially on playoff caliber teams.

Valid point. My concern is that I'm unsure he'll even get the opportunity to make an impact.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't hate the pick like I did the L.J. Collier pick, I think Brooks will be a good player but I just wonder how prudent it was taking a linebacker in the first round when we already have a lot of depth there.
I guess I just don't see all that LB depth. We have 2 veteran guys in their 30s and then no one else proven behind them. Kendricks is not currently on the team. KJ is not signed beyond this year (and it was even questionable as to whether he would be cut this year). There's going to be a starting opportunity at LB for someone we pick in this draft as quickly as anywhere else in my opinion.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Clayton was saying earlier that he only had 24 of 32 players on his mock go in round 1. A quick glance through some other mocks from "experts" was about the same result. Of the 8 I looked at earlier today on nfl.com, about half of the players or more mocked for us didn't even get picked last night, including the edge guy from PSU.

The reality is the back half of round 1 is very murky, and "experts" don't have that great of a read on what the teams are truly thinking or will do after about pick 12-15.

Yep... Also, here is a 2nd round Mock... Should the first 3 picks be considered reaches? Because none of the picks are even close to this mock draft...

Day 2 NFL Mock Draft: Projecting picks for Rounds 2-3

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
$20 Jonathan Taylor is going to be available to us with our 2nd round pick, and we're going to take someone else... -_-

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I just don't see all that LB depth. We have 2 veteran guys in their 30s and then no one else proven behind them. Kendricks is not currently on the team. KJ is not signed beyond this year (and it was even questionable as to whether he would be cut this year). There's going to be a starting opportunity at LB for someone we pick in this draft as quickly as anywhere else in my opinion.

With their ages along with Kendricks moving on, if Wags or KJ got hurt and we didn't have a solid backup, we'd be screwed... IMO, we drafted a starter for this year... If he turns out to be a starter, how would that not qualify as a 'need'?

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With their ages along with Kendricks moving on, if Wags or KJ got hurt and we didn't have a solid backup, we'd be screwed...
And everyone would bitch about not having depth when we knew our top 2 guys were old.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. I really like how he really explodes in the gaps to get to the runner or QB. Sounds like he still needs to learn how to shed blockers, which isn't surprising for a rookie.

I'd say my favorite thing about him is that with run plays, he diagnoses it at an elite level and uses his athleticism to shoot the gaps and disengage with blockers. He does have the athleticism and instincts to be a great linebacker.

I don't dislike him as a player like I did with L.J. Collier, I'm just asking myself if we needed another linebacker.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe they'll work on his coverage skills

I believe I read he didn't play that many snaps in pass coverage. IMO the team just needs to find a way to get him as instinctive against the pass as he is against the run. Can't imagine better teachers than Bobby Wagner and K.J. Wright.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder what the reaction here would be about a Div II safety like the Pats just took....

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think my thought process is that Bobby Wagner will be the starting inside linebacker for another 3 years, Cody Barton is capable of taking over for K.J. Wright and I have the mentality that 3 linebackers should only be on the field on run downs with how much teams throw the ball these days.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Valid point. My concern is that I'm unsure he'll even get the opportunity to make an impact.

If he is able to step up, he will have plenty of chances to play. Bobby and KJ are at a point in their career where they are likely to miss plays/games because of injuries. Also, I think he could be on the field with both of them with KJ sliding to Sam.

Or he may be completely lost as a rookie and do nothing.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he is able to step up, he will have plenty of chances to play. Bobby and KJ are at a point in their career where they are likely to miss plays/games because of injuries. Also, I think he could be on the field with both of them with KJ sliding to Sam.

Or he may be completely lost as a rookie and do nothing.

I'd prefer Barton or Brooks playing over K.J. Wright. With all due respect to Wright, he has declined drastically and just isn't the player he was.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think my thought process is that Bobby Wagner will be the starting inside linebacker for another 3 years, Cody Barton is capable of taking over for K.J. Wright and I have the mentality that 3 linebackers should only be on the field on run downs with how much teams throw the ball these days.
I definitely hope Bobby can play 3 more years, and it won't surprise me if it happens. He misses games here and there though pretty much every year. And even if we only play 2 LBs on most downs, you wouldn't want a really good 3rd guy? That's leaving yourself pretty thin if not. We play 3 LBs quite a bit though, relative to other teams.