• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mariners trade deadline thread

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kuma is a really risky player, difficult to determine what to do with him.

I could see him being traded and going back to his 2.66 ERA form, but I could also see us holding on to him and he struggles with injuries. Honestly there is a lot that can go right by holding on to him, and a lot that can go wrong.

Holding on to him is a high risk, high reward situation. But I do know that if we hold on to him and he struggles with injuries going forward, or is not the pitcher he used to be, we will be kicking ourselves. On the other hand though, will we even get anything worth a damn for him?

I like Kuma, but I wouldn't trust an important role to him with his history. If you were counting on him as a #5, then great because that is always a risk position anyways. If you were counting on him for a #2 or #3, then I wold move on. Plus, trading him doesn't exclude re-signing him.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Kuma, but I wouldn't trust an important role to him with his history. If you were counting on him as a #5, then great because that is always a risk position anyways. If you were counting on him for a #2 or #3, then I wold move on. Plus, trading him doesn't exclude re-signing him.

True to that last part.

I just feel like people forget that from 2013-2014, this guy had a 3.05 ERA in nearly 400 IP. He's a good pitcher, injuries are the main concern.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Neither of the prospects that the Athletics landed for Kazmir were in the top 20 in the Astros organization.

Is that really what we want for Kuma, lol?

1- Yes. Because what are you getting when he leaves? A pick in the mid to late 30's? Or if he retires or goes back home you get nothing.

2- You can get lucky with underrated prospects just like you can get unlucky with high rated prospects.

3- I read lots of scouts say the catcher is a good hitter and compares to Napoli.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True to that last part.

I just feel like people forget that from 2013-2014, this guy had a 3.05 ERA in nearly 400 IP. He's a good pitcher, injuries are the main concern.

Cano was a great hitter between 2013-2014 as well. Just saying....lol.

Injuries are a HUGE concern. Trade, re-sign.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cano was a great hitter between 2013-2014 as well. Just saying....lol.

Injuries are a HUGE concern. Trade, re-sign.

He's showing signs thank the Gods.

The worrying part is that his K rate is still high.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1- Yes. Because what are you getting when he leaves? A pick in the mid to late 30's? Or if he retires or goes back home you get nothing.
Exactly. There is zero reason to hold onto him. Give that spot to Elias and see if he can be a back of the rotation guy next year. Plus of Kuma truly likes it here he may resign anyway.

I'm expecting them to hold onto him though because this franchise is consistent in doing head scratching things in these situations

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya, he still likes to chase the low and outside pitch.

At least he's having more success with it.

I hate to beat a dead horse, but I honestly think he's starting to get a bit lucky now. I feel weird saying that because I made the case 65% of his problem in the first place was bad luck.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least he's having more success with it.

I hate to beat a dead horse, but I honestly think he's starting to get a bit lucky now. I feel weird saying that because I made the case 65% of his problem in the first place was bad luck.

I never buy into the luck/unluck theory especially over an extended period of time.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Neither of the prospects that the Athletics landed for Kazmir were in the top 20 in the Astros organization.

Is that really what we want for Kuma, lol?
For me personally I would actually say yes. I really like the catcher the A's got and I think the pitcher looks pretty good too. Often times those guys that are still in the low minors get overlooked and viewed as having lower value. But I think they are really solid prospects and the potential is there to be major league players in the future. Honestly I think these types of low minor league players with solid potential are probably what Seattle should be targeting for Kuma because Kuma's value has been lowered because of injury history and he is a FA in a few months.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trade him or not, Kuma's career in America is destined as a reliever. He can be successful coming in with his motion after a starter IMO. So many foreign starters are successful at first because their motion and generally a pitch that most hitters don't see except in BP which is only thrown the day of their start.. If they can find a partner good but if not they need bullpen help.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True to that last part.

This is true he pitched very well for the M's when healthy. My concern with him is two part, injuries and getting old/ regressing. Like AZ said and I agree with is I don't want to rely on Kuma to be a #2 starter or even the #3. I like Kuma too I just have little confidence that he will be good the rest of this season and beyond. I honestly don't even want him to be re-signed and I might be in the minority on that.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trade him or not, Kuma's career in America is destined as a reliever. He can be successful coming in with his motion after a starter IMO. So many foreign starters are successful at first because their motion and generally a pitch that most hitters don't see except in BP which is only thrown the day of their start.. If they can find a partner good but if not they need bullpen help.
I'm not sure about this.... I don't think I want Kuma in the bullpen if it were my choice I would rather have him start games. I might not fully understand what you are saying though...

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never buy into the luck/unluck theory especially over an extended period of time.

I do think that luck plays a part in it. But that should be obvious since I've extensively argued on behalf of it.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure about this.... I don't think I want Kuma in the bullpen if it were my choice I would rather have him start games. I might not fully understand what you are saying though...

I'm of the opinion that Kuma will make a perfect long reliever in the long run especially if they can't find a trade partner.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm of the opinion that Kuma will make a perfect long reliever in the long run especially if they can't find a trade partner.

A long reliever is the lowest of the low on a pitching staff. It is a necessary evil. Not something of Kuma's resume.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A long reliever is the lowest of the low on a pitching staff. It is a necessary evil. Not something of Kuma's resume.

Most definitely, but I believe if he wants to stay successful in the big leagues that is the role he needs to take on. As a reliever he won't need to rely strictly on location as he has to as a starter. Maybe not even long relief, if he has the mental makeup he could close too, either way his game right now is based upon location as a starter in the bullpen his unique pitching style would be just as much a weapon IMO.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Mariners have asked the Orioles about Triple-A catcher Steve Clevenger, tweets Roch Kubatko of MASN Sports. Talks did not advance. The 29-year-old is hitting well in the minors with a .327/.402/.408 line in 246 plate appearances. He also performed well in a brief major league audition earlier this season, going 5-for-11.

--------------------

Aiming high like always.