• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mariners trade deadline thread

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just about anything would be an upgrade right about now.

Mariners catchers have put together a combined line of .148/.199/.258 this year, with 111 strikeouts.

I have to imagine that is historically bad.

We had a solid backup catcher at one point, no? Oh yea, we had him for only one week... In 25 games since leaving the M's, he's hitting .286...

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it matter how well he has done since he left, they need a guy they can trust to not have Zunino starting every game.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per Fox:

MARINERS MESS (CHAPTER 67)

The Mariners are not simply looking for a platoon partner for Mike Zunino, but a veteran catcher who would enable them to send Zunino to Triple-A, according to a rival executive.

Of course, the Mariners had such a catcher, Welington Castillo, but they traded him to the Diamondbacks for Mark Trumbo. Castillo’s OPS since the trade: .889. Trumbo: .550.

Meanwhile, Zunino has batted .123/.188/.172 in 137 plate appearances since June 1. If Zduriencik ultimately loses his job, it will be due in part to the failures of his first-round draft picks.

Zunino was the third overall selection in 2012, Danny Hultzen the second overall pick in ‘11, Dustin Ackley the second overall in ‘09, Nick Franklin the 27th overall that year.

The jury is still out on Taijuan Walker, the 43rd overall pick in ’10. But the draft was supposed to be a strength for Zduriencik, who previously was the scouting director for the Brewers. Hultzen got injured, but the Mariners have only themselves to blame for Zunino, whom they rushed to the majors.

Zunino’s strikeout rate of one every 2.78 plate appearances is the worst in the majors. And in this age of undisciplined swinging, that’s saying something.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice to see Happ have a decent outing and boost his value.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if they had handled Zunino like a professional organization treats a catching prospect, he would've maybe been brought up in september of this year.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if they had handled Zunino like a professional organization treats a catching prospect, he would've maybe been brought up in september of this year.

I was gonna say he was about 150 minor league games short of what most players spend in the minors. To say he would have been brought up in September this year is a bit of a stretch, but considering that he wasn't even hitting well before he was brought up, if the Mariners had a better catching option, that probably would've been the appropriate amount of time.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
David Schoenfield and Eric Karabell discuss David Price and Johnny Cueto as hot names potentially on the move as the trade deadline nears.

From what I'm hearing, there could be as many as 65 players on the trade block as I write this. I've discussed, and ranked, all of them below.

Some of these players aren't widely thought to be trade options, but I suspect they will be soon or could be moved in the right deal. Let's get to it:

Starting pitchers
1. David Price, LHP, Detroit Tigers: The Tigers' recent slide has reportedly compelled GM Dave Dombrowski to become a seller, and Price has the most trade value of any "rental player" (free agent to be). The Tigers have not made Price a contract offer since spring training and aren't expected to re-sign him.

2. Cole Hamels, LHP, Philadelphia Phillies: The Phils are getting enough significant offers that it's becoming more likely Hamels will be dealt. That said, it'll have to be done early next week so there is time for a physical before any deal is completed. The Dodgers and Cubs are the most likely destinations.

3. Johnny Cueto, RHP, Cincinnati Reds: The Reds likely will trade Cueto next week; the Astros, Blue Jays and Dodgers are the leading candidates to acquire his services.

4. James Shields, RHP, San Diego Padres: Shields did not get a no-trade clause from the Padres, so he could be traded. He would serve as a nice fallback option for the Dodgers.

5. Scott Kazmir, LHP, Oakland Athletics: Kazmir's value is at an all-time high, and the Blue Jays, Royals, Dodgers and Cubs have all expressed interest.

6. Tyson Ross, RHP, Padres: The least likely of the Padres starters to be traded, but if the Astros offer enough for him …

7. Andrew Cashner, RHP, Padres: With three good starts in a row, Cashner quietly has become a valuable trade target.

8. Jeff Samardzija, RHP, Chicago White Sox: Has bounced back from his early struggles -- he has a streak of eight consecutive starts of seven innings of more -- and is ready to be dealt.

9. Yovani Gallardo, RHP, Texas Rangers: The Rangers are in the mix for Hamels and hope to keep Gallardo the rest of this season and after he becomes a free agent, but if they continue to struggle, they might as well trade him for prospects.

10. Mike Leake, RHP, Reds: Has posted a sub-4.00 ERA three straight years despite pitching half his games in a hitters' park. He'd be a strong middle-of-a-rotation trade piece.

11. Dan Haren, RHP, Miami Marlins: Haren is likely to be traded, and given the way he has pitched this year, he'd be a nice add for a contending team.

12. Jonathon Niese, LHP, New York Mets: The Mets are hoping they can make him a centerpiece in a deal for a bat.

13. Mat Latos, RHP, Marlins: Latos' trade value picked up after his solid starts against the Rockies, Giants and Cubs over the past month.

14. Kyle Lohse, RHP, Milwaukee Brewers: Good track record, but Lohse has given up more hits and earned runs than any starter in the league.

15. Ian Kennedy, RHP, Padres: Best as a back-of-the-rotation veteran starter for a team looking for depth.

16. Matt Garza, RHP, Brewers: His 5.55 ERA and 1.55 WHIP won't exactly help the Brewers get much in return.

Relief pitchers
Craig Kimbrel, RHP, Padres: Kimbrel has led the National League in saves over the past five seasons and has given up only two runs in his past 16 appearances. He'd be a difference-maker for the Nationals, Astros or Yankees, though the Padres would be looking to get back more than they gave the Braves to get him just before the season.

2. Aroldis Chapman, LHP, Reds: The Reds shouldn't make the same mistake they made with Cueto and Leake by waiting until their free-agent year. Chapman's value will never be higher, and the Blue Jays, Dodgers and Nationals are natural fits.

3. Jonathan Papelbon, RHP, Phillies: ESPN colleague Buster Olney has reported the Phillies are close to dealing Papelbon. The Cubs or Blue Jays would be my best guess to be his suitors.

4. Tyler Clippard, RHP, A's: GM Billy Beane will once again be in the headlines, and that might happen as early as this weekend.

5. Francisco Rodriguez, RHP, Brewers: Rodriguez's 1.32 ERA and 21 saves make him a strong trade option, but the flooded market for relievers could hurt the Brewers and keep K-Rod in Milwaukee.

6. Joaquin Benoit, RHP, Padres: Benoit is still considered one of the best eighth-inning relievers in the league.

7. John Axford, RHP, Colorado Rockies: Has a 2.36 ERA despite pitching half his games at Coors Field.

8. Jonathan Broxton, RHP, Brewers: Back on the radar for teams looking for bullpen depth.

9. Neal Cotts, LHP, Brewers: Left-handed hitters have hit just .190 against him.

10. Jim Johnson, RHP, Atlanta Braves: Has had a solid bounce-back campaign (though he did allow three hits and a run Monday).

11. LaTroy Hawkins, RHP, Rockies: Brings veteran leadership and can still help a team in the sixth or seventh innings.

Catchers
1. Wilin Rosario, C, Rockies: Should be of interest to an American League team looking for right-handed platoon power at DH.

2. A.J. Pierzynski, C, Braves: Haven't heard of a team pursuing him, but he is available and is a solid backup catcher.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Infielders:

1. Troy Tulowitzki, SS, Rockies: MLB execs continue to tell me that it's highly unlikely Tulo will be traded, based on their conversations with Rockies GM Jeff Bridich.

2. Ben Zobrist, IF/OF, A's: He fits with just about every contending team thanks to his versatility, positive attitude and switch-hitting ability.

3. Adam Lind, 1B, Brewers: Lind excels against right-handed pitching and would be a perfect fit for the Cardinals, Nationals or Pirates.

4. Pedro Alvarez, 1B/3B, Pittsburgh Pirates: The "Alvarez at first base" experiment is not working out. A trade to an AL team makes sense here if the Pirates can improve their defense at first base.

5. Chris Davis, 1B, Baltimore Orioles: The O's aren't expected to re-sign this 2015 free agent, and he could be dealt by the trade deadline.

6. Jean Segura, SS, Brewers: Segura's defensive metrics and bat have simply not bounced back to their 2013 form.

7. Alexei Ramirez, SS, Chicago White Sox: Ramirez's trade value is at an all-time low because of his absolutely dismal season.

8. Brandon Phillips, 2B, Reds: He's due $32 million for the rest of this season and the next two seasons, which makes him untradeable unless the Reds pay most of the freight. Considering the team has several other players they need to trade before Phillips, he'll likely stay.

9. Chris Johnson, 1B/3B, Braves: There are enough teams looking for third-base depth that he could get moved, at least if the Braves pay most of his contract.

10. Yonder Alonso, 1B, Padres: He's a first baseman with just two home runs, so he doesn't have a lot of trade value. That said, he'd be a good fit with the Astros thanks to his .382 OBP; perhaps a swap for a disappointing first baseman such as Jon Singleton is possible.

11. Aramis Ramirez, 3B, Brewers: Here's hoping Ramirez, who is set to retire at season's end, ends his career on a contending team.

12. Ryan Howard, 1B, Phillies: He has 16 homers and 48 RBIs, but he also has 93 K's and a .273 OBP. Howard could help the Cardinals or an AL team, though the Phillies would have to eat almost all of his contract.

13. Aaron Hill, IF, Arizona Diamondbacks: Not much trade value left for this veteran.

14. Jedd Gyorko, 2B, Padres: Someone might take a chance on him if the Padres are willing to eat his contract.

15. Chase Utley, 2B, Phillies: I think he retires with the Phils.

16. Gordon Beckham, IF, White Sox: His ability to play three infield positions helps his value as a bench player.

17. Juan Uribe, 3B, Braves: Perhaps a pinch-hitter for an NL team?

18. Michael Morse, 1B, Marlins: Anybody need a right-handed power bat off the bench with strong makeup?

Outfielders
Justin Upton, Padres: Upton is the top position player available, and the Astros, Orioles, Royals, Mets and Pirates seem to be the best candidates.

2. Carlos Gomez, Brewers: He's not a rental -- he's signed through 2016 -- and the Brewers know he likely won't re-sign when his contract is up, so they might test the trade waters.

3. Yoenis Cespedes, Tigers: He reportedly has been made available, and he'd be a nice add for a team that can't reel in Upton or Gomez.

4. Jay Bruce, Reds: The Reds might be able to get Sean Newcomb from the Angels for him. That'd be a good trade for them.

5. Carlos Gonzalez, Rockies: As with Tulowitzki, it looks as if the Rockies are going to hang on to CarGo. But they reportedly will listen to offers for him.

6. Charlie Blackmon, Rockies: He would be a good fit for the top of the Mariners' lineup.

7. Cameron Maybin, Braves: The Braves are willing to take advantage of Maybin's stock being high if a contending team is in need of a center fielder.

8. Shin-Soo Choo, Rangers: I'd think the Rangers would love to get out of a majority of their contract exposure here.

9. Ben Revere, Phillies: His speed would play well with the Angels or Mariners.

10. Ender Inciarte, Diamondbacks: Teams continue to call the D-backs to try and take advantage of their outfield surplus.

11. Marlon Byrd, Reds: He's on pace for another 25-homer season, and his $8 million option for 2016 actually makes him more attractive to potential suitors.

12. David Murphy, Cleveland Indians: Solid fourth outfielder for a contending team.

13. Will Venable, Padres: Another solid fourth outfielder for a contending team.

14. Gerardo Parra, Brewers: One of the best defensive fourth outfielders in baseball and can play all three outfield positions.

15. Domonic Brown, Phillies: Still young (27) but doesn't have much trade value.

16. Jeff Francoeur, Phillies: Bench player for a contending team.

17. Jonny Gomes, Braves: A great clubhouse presence.

18. Jackie Bradley Jr., Boston Red Sox: Tremendous defensive center fielder but not an adept MLB hitter.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Mariners play this deadline correctly, they could help construct a roster for next year that can compete.

At this point, the Mariners are not competing this year, which is fairly obvious. But there are pieces out there that could help this team for the next 2-3 years.

A guy like Yonder Alonso could be a nice addition. He gets on base and hits for a good average. Is he a superstar? No. Is he a 1B you'd expect to see on a WS team? Probably not. But he is an upgrade over Logan Morrison and he is cheap. The Mariners don't have many other options right now.

Carlos Gomez could be an interesting option. Although the ballpark he plays in really worries me. What I like is that he gets on base, he can run, and play defense well.

I really like Ender Inciarte. Plays outstanding defense, is only 24, and is under club control until 2021. 5.1 WAR in his first 188 career games.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Mariners play this deadline correctly, they could help construct a roster for next year that can compete.

:pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound:

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to hope, right?

Hell, for the most part, Z had a good offseason. Nelson Cruz and Seth Smith were great additions. I'd give them both A+ moves.

Maurer has been lights out for SD and how has our pen done w/o him? I like Smith, but a slow, average defender, and lite hitting OF to me was a push.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maurer has been lights out for SD and how has our pen done w/o him? I like Smith, but a slow, average defender, and lite hitting OF to me was a push.

Seth Smith is 2nd on the team in OBP, slugging percentage, OPS, and doubles. Sure, that may speak more to the poor offensive output on this roster, but he's a good hitter who works the count.

He's a hell of a lot better than the people who would be replacing him: Ackley, Weeks, Ruggiano, Trumbo.

I'd take what Seth Smith has done for us over 45 innings of relief pitching. I say having Seth Smith on the team makes us better than having Brandon Maurer, not that it matters since we're not making the playoffs anyways.

Smith is a really underrated hitter who was a great addition for the team.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seth Smith is 2nd on the team in OBP, slugging percentage, OPS, and doubles. Sure, that may speak more to the poor offensive output on this roster, but he's a good hitter who works the count.

He's a hell of a lot better than the people who would be replacing him: Ackley, Weeks, Ruggiano, Trumbo.

I'd take what Seth Smith has done for us over 45 innings of relief pitching. I say having Seth Smith on the team makes us better than having Brandon Maurer, not that it matters since we're not making the playoffs anyways.

Smith is a really underrated hitter who was a great addition for the team.

Disagree. Addition of Smith and Cruz still makes us the worst hitting team. Loss of Maurer and couple others dropped our one big advantage which went from bullpen to blowpen. Don't get me wrong, Smith is a nice addition, but no way an A+ when you had to give up a core piece to get him. Even if we signed him w/o giving anything up, would call him a 'B' addition. Limited in a lot of things he does and his hitting is good for M's comparison and not fr MLB comparison. Cruz to me is an 'A'. A+ would be Cruz power with more than 68% of his homers being solo and a legit outfielder.

I guess I use a MLB standard of grading and not a Mariners grading system. :)

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Trumbo? Ackley? Trumbo & Ackley? Gausman hasn't lived up to hype so far, but for a team like M's he is worth the risk and if they would take either or both of these guys we lost nothing.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree. Addition of Smith and Cruz still makes us the worst hitting team. Loss of Maurer and couple others dropped our one big advantage which went from bullpen to blowpen. Don't get me wrong, Smith is a nice addition, but no way an A+ when you had to give up a core piece to get him. Even if we signed him w/o giving anything up, would call him a 'B' addition. Limited in a lot of things he does and his hitting is good for M's comparison and not fr MLB comparison. Cruz to me is an 'A'. A+ would be Cruz power with more than 68% of his homers being solo and a legit outfielder.

I guess I use a MLB standard of grading and not a Mariners grading system. :)

Imagine how much worse we would be without them. Our #1 and #2 hitters. I know we've had the discussion on mediocre vs. terrible, but I think that really pushes us into the terrible range without them.

The fact that Cruz hit so many solo shots is more reflective on the inability of the rest of the lineup to get on base, primarily those who were hitting in front of him (yes, I'm looking at you Cruz).