• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Manning chooses Broncos

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He took the money over winning a ring..

Exactly my first thought. The old cliche: when someone says it isn't about the money...its about the money.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I guess having hurt feelings is a natural human reaction, but Smith is pretty reasonable and this was a pretty unique situation. How often does one of the best QBs in the history of the game become a FA? Can you really fault your team for taking a look?

There have been conflicting reports ("I understand" vs. "stunned and jaded"), and of course you can't even take any of those at face value, could all be negotiation. My perception is that Smith would understand....as someone put it, he knows that if *he* was in charge, he'd look at Manning too. Its a no-brainer to at least look into it.

That said, if the Niners did do something along the lines of dragging their feet - giving him unrealistic offers full of funny-money while waiting on Manning, negotiating in bad faith as a stall tactic......then that is grounds for bad blood. But even that said, I'd guess that is something that one can get over.

Its just the reaction from his critics....and you know I'm largely incapable staying silent.....where these guys make some assumption about Smith's mindset, then rip him based on the assumption. There is enough stuff he's actually done to criticize him for, lets give him a pass on the hypotheticals.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
He took the money over winning a ring..

Or he thinks he can get both with Denver. And he may be right. Their D is legit, their OL is pretty good, and they have some good young receivers. Not to mention SD is still the only truly legit threat in the conference. A healthy Manning can transform a team. Maybe he wanted the challenge of building a team himself.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
There have been conflicting reports ("I understand" vs. "stunned and jaded"), and of course you can't even take any of those at face value, could all be negotiation. My perception is that Smith would understand....as someone put it, he knows that if *he* was in charge, he'd look at Manning too. Its a no-brainer to at least look into it.

That said, if the Niners did do something along the lines of dragging their feet - giving him unrealistic offers full of funny-money while waiting on Manning, negotiating in bad faith as a stall tactic......then that is grounds for bad blood. But even that said, I'd guess that is something that one can get over.

Its just the reaction from his critics....and you know I'm largely incapable staying silent.....where these guys make some assumption about Smith's mindset, then rip him based on the assumption. There is enough stuff he's actually done to criticize him for, lets give him a pass on the hypotheticals.

Some people are always going to see what they want to see when they look at Alex Smith. That applies to his supporters and his critics.

And if Smith truly is hurt, then he may leave. But I think he'd have to be awfully angry to leave the situation in SF for Miami. The NFC West is up-and-coming IMO, but it's still not the same as facing Brady and the Jets' D twice a year. The Dolphins were arguably the fourth team in that division, and that was before they got rid of their primary offensive weapon. It just doesn't make any sense for him to go to Miami unless he's really, really upset with management. And if that's the case, so be it. We'll move on and find out if Colin can hack it.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matt Barrows ‏ @mattbarrows
Reply RetweetedRetweet
Delete
FavoritedFavorite · Close Open Details By the way, the 49ers never publicly acknowledged that they were even in the Manning pursuit. Did anyone actually *see* Harbaugh in Durham?

arsenal6106

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some people are always going to see what they want to see when they look at Alex Smith. That applies to his supporters and his critics.

And if Smith truly is hurt, then he may leave. But I think he'd have to be awfully angry to leave the situation in SF for Miami. The NFC West is up-and-coming IMO, but it's still not the same as facing Brady and the Jets' D twice a year. The Dolphins were arguably the fourth team in that division, and that was before they got rid of their primary offensive weapon. It just doesn't make any sense for him to go to Miami unless he's really, really upset with management. And if that's the case, so be it. We'll move on and find out if Colin can hack it.

My thoughts exactly.

zman1527

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Gotta disagree. Give me Manning over Smith any day. The opportunity was just too perfect to pass on without an effort to sign him. But, it didn't happen and now we move on with Smith or whomever.

I think we are about as likely to succeed with Alex as we would have with Mannning. Manning had a year off, at his age how does he come back? How does he adjust to a totally new team? How does he take a hit? He has generally been durable, but does that hold up at his age? Lots of questions with him too.

Alex had us two stupid fumbles away from the SB, with a woeful WR corps. Lets see what he can do with WR.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

This didn't strike a nerve or anything, but just need to point out.....I think the attempt to equate the two sides is a bit much. As one of the staunchest (and admittedly biased) Smith supporters around, I can still admit he has plenty of faults and is not much better than average at best.

But I think we see here every day that the other side can't bring themselves to give him much credit at all, and pretty much refuses to praise him for anything until they have no choice.

crash

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Peter king reported on twitter that alex smith is very serious about signing with the dolphins...we just f*cked our selves and now we don't have a quarterback!!

crash

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Alex Smith's agent spoke with Miami today - ************.com

Peter King of Sports Illustrated is reporting that he has heard that free-agent quarterback Alex Smith's agent, Tom Condon, has spoken with the Miami Dolphins this afternoon. He also notes that this could be for real or is simply could be for leverage with the San Francisco 49ers.

Smith has obviously become top priority for the 49ers with Peyton Manning deciding to go to the Denver Broncos. On Sunday, Smith made it publicly known that he was willing to be the 49ers' plan B and left a 5-hour visit with Miami without a contract. It is rumored that Miami was willing to offer Smith a multi-year contract at about $8 million a year

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont know what makes you think I would consider him a potential bust, when i agree with whats in bold. The reason for my questions is to see what evidence on this level is he basing his opinion on...

Sorry, don't know why I quoted you, I think I had something to add that I didn't remember and yours was about the same thing as the others I quoted.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Alex is dumb enough to sign with the Dolphins, let him. Take the money, sign Wallace and let Colin sling it to Moss, Manningham, Wallace & Williams. I would be fine with that.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
It's clear Manning's first priority is not winning a Superbowl. He wants one last pay day & to go to his NFL retirement home.

The Niners were so close!!!

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's clear Manning's first priority is not winning a Superbowl. He wants one last pay day & to go to his NFL retirement home.

The Niners were so close!!!

I'd say we lucked out that he did not come here. I don't want an aging QB looking for a payday. They usually never workout because they've lost that competitive edge and already have one foot out the door to retirement.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
This didn't strike a nerve or anything, but just need to point out.....I think the attempt to equate the two sides is a bit much. As one of the staunchest (and admittedly biased) Smith supporters around, I can still admit he has plenty of faults and is not much better than average at best.

But I think we see here every day that the other side can't bring themselves to give him much credit at all, and pretty much refuses to praise him for anything until they have no choice.

I disagree. Iguana blames everyone but Smith for Smith's struggles. He's the worst offender by far, but we don't see the kind of hatred for Smith we used to see. Clyde thinks Smith is a very limited QB with very little upside. Based on the evidence, that's not an outrageous position. Most of Smith's harshest critics acknowledge that he improved quite a bit this past year, but that he still has a long way to go. I think that's a fair view.

As said, both of the extremes see what they want to see at times (most of the time). The reality IMO is somewhere in the middle.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say we lucked out that he did not come here. I don't want an aging QB looking for a payday. They usually never workout because they've lost that competitive edge and already have one foot out the door to retirement.

I'm sure Mannings contract will have more protection than a case of Depends, but even with that, I'm not terribly disappointed we didn't land him either.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As starting QBs, I think both Rodgers and Alex have 1 NFC title gm appearance.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Peter king reported on twitter that alex smith is very serious about signing with the dolphins...we just f*cked our selves and now we don't have a quarterback!!

That's a blessing for us!