• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Week 5: Las Vegas Raiders @ Denver Broncos

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not many of my week by week predictions have been right, but this week's was not too far off!

Feels good to be 3-2!

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great job by the reserve Oline guys - Crum - Palczewski - and Peart.

Javonte had his best game in a couple of years. McLaughlin also had a better game than we've seen.

You can't halfass Lil'Jordan Humphrey to the ground.

Something about the Nix/Payton shouting match on the sideline after the deep ball to Franklin - that makes me smile. Nix ain't afraid of the big bad wolf.

It sure looks like Bowers pushed off on PJ Locke for his TD catch. That said - I'd love having Bowers on my team.

The Secondary had a great day - Moss and Surtain with interceptions.

Minshew's trip of confident - determined opposing QB to Oh God - please help me - QB - was accomplished in pretty short period of time.

ZAch Allen is having a pro-bowl season. What a pleasure it is to watch him play.

Time to give the Chargers a kick while they are down!
Crazy to think the Bronco secondary has more INT's than TD's given up so far this season. 4 TD's allowed to 5 INT's (helps having 3 this last game). Riley Moss becoming a top-15 CB in the NFL was not on my bingo card of things to happen this year.

Mountain Bronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crazy to think the Bronco secondary has more INT's than TD's given up so far this season. 4 TD's allowed to 5 INT's (helps having 3 this last game). Riley Moss becoming a top-15 CB in the NFL was not on my bingo card of things to happen this year.
Riley's film and raw athleticism at Iowa really had me intrigued in that 23 draft, but his inability to see the field at all on D last year had me concerned as well. I think that core injury was a bigger deal than we realized but credit him for using the redshirt year to his advantage. Plus corners from Iowa ;)

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching the game after the sideline "confrontation" reminded me of John Elway - Dan Reeves and Mike Shannahan. Dan Reeves deployed John Elway very conservatively for 3 quarters but turned it over to Elway at the end to win the game. Nix and Payton obviously have a similar expectation problem - Payton wants him conservative and Bo wants to Bo. In both cases the Dan Reeves Broncos and the Payton Broncos have great defenses to allow for conservative QB play with a run game. At the end - Reeves caught Shanahan and Elway - working work arounds from his instructions - and Shanahan had to go coach the Raiders of all teams. On the sideline, Davis Martin looks like he is taking both sides. It is an interesting dynamic.

I loved Bo's explanation of the sideline discussion.

Having been a member of some football squads - to a certain degree Bo needs to show his teammates he is not just Sean Payton's prize student - who gets anything he wants - at the expensive of everyone else.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Riley's film and raw athleticism at Iowa really had me intrigued in that 23 draft, but his inability to see the field at all on D last year had me concerned as well. I think that core injury was a bigger deal than we realized but credit him for using the redshirt year to his advantage. Plus corners from Iowa ;)

He for sure had a lot of intriguing raw tools to work with, but yeah him getting very little work last season left us with a huge question mark of what he would be in the NFL. So glad that he is proving the trade up to get him was worth it and he is quickly becoming a top-5 player on this entire roster and a top-20 CB in the NFL. Nice to see the Broncos should have this secondary together for the next few years. Should only keep getting better and better.

Orange Crush77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DC is going to love you now

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Return from my trip to Denver. Was a blast to see Denver win after a 2 year losing streak.

Other then having lunch with SpringStein and the Broncos blowing out the Raiders my favorite part was running into Marvin Mims at the Castle Rock outlet shopping Center. Felt like a kid again.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He for sure had a lot of intriguing raw tools to work with, but yeah him getting very little work last season left us with a huge question mark of what he would be in the NFL. So glad that he is proving the trade up to get him was worth it and he is quickly becoming a top-5 player on this entire roster and a top-20 CB in the NFL. Nice to see the Broncos should have this secondary together for the next few years. Should only keep getting better and better.

I mean when you're a rookie CB and you miss vritually all of TC with an injury you can't really expect that guy to play for much of the year. Especially when Moreau was playing so well last year along with obviously Surtain and McMillian. Moss was going to RS last year barring injury given the situation/

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone else notice that Forsyth replaced Wattenburg after the bad snap? I think Wattenburg thought Nix was under center when he was in shotgun.

Worst moment of my trip was Franklin dropping the TD pass. Not the easiest catch but I think he would tell you that he should have caught it.

Last edited:

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I also want to note.

In person I have now witnessed the following

Marvin Mims first career TD (With LGM of course)

First career INT for the following:

Darcel McBath
Perrish Cox
Will Parks
Riley Moss

and my lord I almost got to see Troy Franklin's first career NFL td. Would have been a great add for my historic reference. Not even going to lie I was sad when he didn't catch it.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean when you're a rookie CB and you miss vritually all of TC with an injury you can't really expect that guy to play for much of the year. Especially when Moreau was playing so well last year along with obviously Surtain and McMillian. Moss was going to RS last year barring injury given the situation/
Oh I get why he didn't play a ton last year. I just meant going into this season with such a huge unknown at the #2 CB spot was tough to really gauge how good or bad this defense could be. I think about the early part of last season when Mathis was starting and opposing QB's just picked on him all day long until he got benched. The other part of this is the Iowa system that they run. Great defense but a lot of what they do in that system is different than what you would ask in the NFL. So the raw tools are great but learning how to play the position a bit different was something I worried about. He has risen to the occasion and shown he is a really intelligent player. I don't see him getting beat on double moves hardly ever and he seems to study film well.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone else notice that Forsyth replaced Wattenburg after the bad snap? I think Wattenburg thought Nix was under center when he was in shotgun.

Worst moment of my trip was Franklin dropping the TD pass. Not the easiest catch but I think he would tell you that he should have caught it.

I'm interested to see what the Broncos do on OL this week. Wattenburg has not been good. He is getting blown off the line way more than I would like and then with the almost really bad turnover because he didn't realize the play I could see him getting benched. Forsyth wasn't great in the preseason though so not sure putting him in solves anything.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I also want to note.

In person I have now witnessed the following

Marvin Mims first career TD (With LGM of course)

First career INT for the following:

Darcel McBath
Perrish Cox
Will Parks
Riley Moss

and my lord I almost got to see Troy Franklin's first career NFL td. Would have been a great add for my historic reference. Not even going to lie I was sad when he didn't catch it.
You also saw Javonte William's first TD.