• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Manning chooses Broncos

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rodgers is 1-0, though. And that's a BIG "1."

That's what she said!

tumblr_m139zvBwQz1r2kwel.gif

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. Iguana blames everyone but Smith for Smith's struggles. He's the worst offender by far, but we don't see the kind of hatred for Smith we used to see. Clyde thinks Smith is a very limited QB with very little upside. Based on the evidence, that's not an outrageous position. Most of Smith's harshest critics acknowledge that he improved quite a bit this past year, but that he still has a long way to go. I think that's a fair view.

As said, both of the extremes see what they want to see at times (most of the time). The reality IMO is somewhere in the middle.

I find it funny that no one calls Iguana a hater/Cazic when he/she is blasting through every thread calling Crabtree a PS WR.

It's just that when it comes to Alex people are hyper sensitive it seems.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He took the money over winning a ring..

I gotta say, I don't get this line of thought. Sure he already has lots of millions in the bank. But seriously:

A piece of jewelry I already own isn't worth $40M that I can get by signing elsewhere.

Why is anybody attacking that? Did he have a better shot at a Super Bowl with us? Probably. But who cares? He's already a first ballot HOFer, and will likely be regarded throughout history as one of the top 3 QB's of all time. Given all of that, I think it's foolish to think he should throw away tens of millions of dollars for a silly piece of gold.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Most of Smith's harshest critics acknowledge that he improved quite a bit this past year, but that he still has a long way to go.

I'll let a LOL suffice here and let it go.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly my first thought. The old cliche: when someone says it isn't about the money...its about the money.

Everything is ALWAYS about money. Let me bring this argument down to an equitable level.

Say you work, in whatever your field is, and say your salary is $45,000 a year. In addition to having a matching 401k, health insurance including dental and vision, profit sharing, pto and dependent care eligibility, your company also offers a pretty cool casual Friday where you can wear jeans and t-shirts. You can take this job,

OR

You can have the same job, with the same perks except there is no casual Friday. Sorry, you still have to wear professional attire on Friday. As a trade off, though, your salary is now $72,000.

Is casual Friday worth it? I mean, seriously, we're talking about a ring that he already owns.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everything is ALWAYS about money. Let me bring this argument down to an equitable level.

Say you work, in whatever your field is, and say your salary is $45,000 a year. In addition to having a matching 401k, health insurance including dental and vision, profit sharing, pto and dependent care eligibility, your company also offers a pretty cool casual Friday where you can wear jeans and t-shirts. You can take this job,

OR

You can have the same job, with the same perks except there is no casual Friday. Sorry, you still have to wear professional attire on Friday. As a trade off, though, your salary is now $72,000.

Is casual Friday worth it? I mean, seriously, we're talking about a ring that he already owns.

Well, it's not like he had to decide between 40 guaranteed and 0 guaranteed. I'm sure we were in that ball park as well.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PM saw that the 49ers OL gave up 44 sacks last season.

That sure scared him, so he signed with the Broncos, whose OL gave up only 42 sacks last year.

Good luck staying vertical, PM.

Of course, there's a bit of a difference between Tebow and Smith getting sacked and Peyton Manning getting sacked. Just based on how long the first two hold the ball, they could be behind the 90's Cowboys O-line and still take that many sacks.

Some of those are on the line, but most are on how long Smith and Tebow take to read through their progressions. Before they even get to their third read, Manning would have completed a 40 yard pass.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, it's not like he had to decide between 40 guaranteed and 0 guaranteed. I'm sure we were in that ball park as well.

5 years $95M? You think? I would have thought more along the 4 years $55-60M range.

Of course, only the first two years mean anything at this stage in a player's career, but still. I don't think we would have been in that same range.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5 years $95M? You think? I would have thought more along the 4 years $55-60M range.

Of course, only the first two years mean anything at this stage in a player's career, but still. I don't think we would have been in that same range.

There were reports that all contracts with the teams have been written and drafted, and teams were just waiting on Peyton's decision. I doubt they would've been THAT different.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Manning you jerk! You could've at least gone to the Titans. Now there's no way Tennessee trades Jake Locker!

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

OR

I'd take the $72,000. I don't how this is analogous to Manning taking the money over his best shot at winning a super bowl though. Does Harbaugh's personality represent casual Friday? I'm half-kidding here...

I think Manning chose Denver, because he felt more confortable with Fox being his HC, Mccoy being an OC that will let him (Manning) call the shots more or less, Denver has the better offensive line, AND they were willing to give him the most money.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we are about as likely to succeed with Alex as we would have with Mannning. Manning had a year off, at his age how does he come back? How does he adjust to a totally new team? How does he take a hit? He has generally been durable, but does that hold up at his age? Lots of questions with him too.

Alex had us two stupid fumbles away from the SB, with a woeful WR corps. Lets see what he can do with WR.

My problem with this rationale is that we are settling for mediocrity. Okay, so we upgrade the WR's, which weren't good last year. What happens if Smith still throws for 3,300 yards at 6.2 ypa? Do we blame Moss for having the year off? Do we blame Manningham for being new to the system? Do we look for another upgrade to say, "Let's see what Smith can do with X."

If we need so many upgrades everywhere on offense, doesn't Smith have to become the lowest common denominator at some point? If we get Pro Bowl production to prop up Smith, we won't be able to afford all of that talent. Something will have to give somewhere.

My two biggest problems with Smith are his YPA, and his third down conversion percentage. I don't think that improves, even with Moss and Manningham coming in.

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My problem with this rationale is that we are settling for mediocrity. Okay, so we upgrade the WR's, which weren't good last year. What happens if Smith still throws for 3,300 yards at 6.2 ypa? Do we blame Moss for having the year off? Do we blame Manningham for being new to the system? Do we look for another upgrade to say, "Let's see what Smith can do with X."

If we need so many upgrades everywhere on offense, doesn't Smith have to become the lowest common denominator at some point? If we get Pro Bowl production to prop up Smith, we won't be able to afford all of that talent. Something will have to give somewhere.

My two biggest problems with Smith are his YPA, and his third down conversion percentage. I don't think that improves, even with Moss and Manningham coming in.

very well said sir

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd take the $72,000. I don't how this is analogous to Manning taking the money over his best shot at winning a super bowl though. Does Harbaugh's personality represent casual Friday? I'm half-kidding here...

I think Manning chose Denver, because he felt more confortable with Fox being his HC, Mccoy being an OC that will let him (Manning) call the shots more or less, Denver has the better offensive line, AND they were willing to give him the most money.

Of course Harbaugh represents casual Friday. :-)

Seriously, I think we as fans tend to think that players should come to our teams because our goal is to win championships. I don't think that's very high on these guys' lists of goals. Of course they're competitive and want to win, and everybody says it's important, but having a SB ring doesn't compare to having 7 more figures in your bank account in the long run.

This just never gets old. I should have it in my signature which doesn't exist. :llama:

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hit the nail on the head. Great post.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There were reports that all contracts with the teams have been written and drafted, and teams were just waiting on Peyton's decision. I doubt they would've been THAT different.

Something had to have been different. I can't believe his desire to stay in the AFC is so great that he'd turn down the opportunity to play with Davis, Gore, Moss, Walker and Manningham to go play with (insert Denver's skill positions here, because I don't know any of them except for Stecker and their rookie from last year).

I could be wrong, but I'd be willing to bet Denver was at least 10-15M higher in their offer than we were.

But if Tennessee was offering ownership, I don't know what the variable is.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we really wanted Manning we wouldn't have stopped at 10mil difference over 4 or 5 years. And like you said, the Titans were offering a lifetime ownership as well as a contract, so in terms of $$$ that was his best situation.

Denver has a decent OL, good running game, Demaryius Thomas and Eric Decker at WR, and an up-and-coming defense. They also play in the AFC away from Eli and in a pretty bad division.

Who really knows though. The 49ers were his best opportunity to win. Maybe he didnt think he can coexist with Harbaugh too.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
:amen:

This falls in to my argument why we really haven't seen the best of Crabtree. I remember a game last year (the only MNF game we had) where Crabtree had several plays in which he completly embarrased his man, yet, Smith was not able to connect with him. I mean opportunities are there he's simply going through a string of bad luck. A lot of which is not his fault. Crabtree in Atlanta or Baltimore would kill. He doesn't necessarily need an "elite" receiver. I still have faith in him.

PS- I apologize for turning this into a Crabtee post.

Last edited by a moderator: