• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Manning chooses Broncos

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we really wanted Manning we wouldn't have stopped at 10mil difference over 4 or 5 years. And like you said, the Titans were offering a lifetime ownership as well as a contract, so in terms of $$$ that was his best situation.

Denver has a decent OL, good running game, Demaryius Thomas and Eric Decker at WR, and an up-and-coming defense. They also play in the AFC away from Eli and in a pretty bad division.

Who really knows though. The 49ers were his best opportunity to win. Maybe he didnt think he can coexist with Harbaugh too.

According to Glazer, this was a potential problem and part of the allure of Denver is being fully integrated into the play-calling role like he was at Indy.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
My problem with this rationale is that we are settling for mediocrity. Okay, so we upgrade the WR's, which weren't good last year. What happens if Smith still throws for 3,300 yards at 6.2 ypa? Do we blame Moss for having the year off? Do we blame Manningham for being new to the system? Do we look for another upgrade to say, "Let's see what Smith can do with X."

I've had to utilize this line too many times lately.......but let's stick criticizing what he *has* done, rather than hypothetical situations in which you posit he fails. Most people can admit that the Niners WR corps was pretty terrible last year after Morgan went down. Now he basically has an NFL-caliber set of targets, and lets see what he does......and if he fails, criticize him then.

Because I think the idea, with most people, is that Smith is better than mediocre if given a fair shake.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I find it funny that no one calls Iguana a hater/Cazic when he/she is blasting through every thread calling Crabtree a PS WR.

It's just that when it comes to Alex people are hyper sensitive it seems.

I think Iguana is completely irrational when it comes to both Smith and Crabtree, and I've said as much. I haven't called him a hater, per se, but he's in the Cazic area when it comes to Crabtree IMO.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont understand why the media assumes that the decision to enter the manning sweepstakes, has caused damage to repair with Alex Smith? The Niners put an offer on the table that he didnt sign and he understands this is a business. Im pretty sure if Alex was the GM and he had a chance to get peyton, he would explore the option as well.

it's the media, they always spin stuff to get eyeballs

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
If we really wanted Manning we wouldn't have stopped at 10mil difference over 4 or 5 years. And like you said, the Titans were offering a lifetime ownership as well as a contract, so in terms of $$$ that was his best situation.

Denver has a decent OL, good running game, Demaryius Thomas and Eric Decker at WR, and an up-and-coming defense. They also play in the AFC away from Eli and in a pretty bad division.

Who really knows though. The 49ers were his best opportunity to win. Maybe he didnt think he can coexist with Harbaugh too.

Denver is still the worst team of the 3 which is why I'm surprised he went with Denver.

I think the odds of him winning a Super Bowl in Denver are low.

They have a decent offensive foundation for him to work with and while they are up and coming defensively they are still not great there.

Denver is going to need to be pretty spot on with their drafts especially defensively if they are going to be a serious force to win it all within the next couple of years.

As of now they pretty much have the same defense that allowed Green Bay, Buffalo, Detroit, and the Patriots twice all hang 40+ on them. So even with Manning I would find it hard to see Denver beating the Patriots or Houston in the playoffs and if they somehow manage to get there I can't see them beating any of the teams the NFC will field.

Denver represented the most comfortable spot for him. Full control of the offense, the ability to bring along some old friends, the type a place for his family to live, and a heck of a lot of money.

If he was really dying for that second championship he would've went with SF.

JAY52PWILLS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Hit the nail on the head. Great post.

damn couldn't have said any better good post........ why not just go with CK IF WE HAD ANY OTHER COACH OTHER THAN HARBAUGH ID BE WORRY I FULLY HAVE FAITH THAT JIMMY WILL GET THE BEST OUT OF CK......THATS WHAT HE DOES..........

Ltrain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
This just in...McGahee has impregnated 9 new baby mommas and declared the Broncos as the Dream Team part deux.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Niners do up their offer (and I don't think they need to), I think it would be fair to offer 8 a year with 3 more in incentives and make the guaranteed one year at 8 million and one year at starters (8) money and one at backup money (5). That would up the deal to 24 Million (33 if he meets incentives, biggest incentive SB win), 3 years, and 13 M guaranteed. Then structure the deal that way - 8 the first, 5 the second, and 11 the last year. Or something like that. It would be a 3 Million guaranteed increase, same base but heavily incentivized, and same duration. I am making this suggestion based upon the 2-3 year, 8-11 M report earlier - they took the longer duration and smaller salary per year. Make the incentives add up to the higher of the salaries and make the incentives needed high. If we won the SB with productive numbers, would you hesitate to pay 11 for that.

It wouldn't be much and it wouldn't look like the Niners caved and would still let Kaep take over in year 2 (with Alex as backup) or 3 (without Alex on the roster). I'm making the assumption that the Niners were dragging their feet earlier.

optimist4720

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
A large part of me wants alex to sign with the dolphins..we are getting worked by this tool conlin..he's doing his job for his guys but we are getting worked by manning...its all about the money...now alex getting all bothered by us wanting a better qb so he has his little flight and negotiating with the fins for the same deal working the dealing process so we ante up for his averageness. a part of me sez..go ahead and sign and live with the fins..we can do better...CK or tolkein can be coached up to be game managers by the end of next season at 10-6 with more upside into the playoffs. Coach H needs to get mad now and do what he's talented at.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess the Colts fans won't follow Manning to the Broncos, since they're probably still a little angry about Elway telling the Colts to suck one after they drafted him

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
First of all I'm so pissed off right now. The Niners were so close....

Anyway, I think Manning has zero confidence he'll stay healthy, so he took the biggest payday he could get, and I think his plan is to bow out the instant he takes a really hard hit.

Manning could've had a SB ring on a silver platter with the Niners. He's a top 5 QB of all time, but now I don't see any why his legacy is any greater than Steve Young's legacy or Kurt Warner's. He's an amazing regular season QB who won 1 SB (with many more shots at it than Young & Warner). And the one he did win was pretty much handed to him by Rex Grossman.

He had a great chance at winning a second SB, but he blew is against the Saints. And there's no way he brings a SB trophy to Denver.

He had a chance to risk his health and go for the legacy of maybe the 2nd greatest QB of all time. I don't blame him for not doing it though.

Last edited by a moderator:

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A large part of me wants alex to sign with the dolphins..we are getting worked by this tool conlin..he's doing his job for his guys but we are getting worked by manning...its all about the money...now alex getting all bothered by us wanting a better qb so he has his little flight and negotiating with the fins for the same deal working the dealing process so we ante up for his averageness. a part of me sez..go ahead and sign and live with the fins..we can do better...CK or tolkein can be coached up to be game managers by the end of next season at 10-6 with more upside into the playoffs. Coach H needs to get mad now and do what he's talented at.

How can you begrudge a guy for looking out for himself? Smith didn't know Manning was going to sign with the Broncos, he was just being smart trying to keep his options open.

CK or Tolzien (unfortunately he does not have the one ring) probably cannot be coached into being game managers in their rookie season - they will most likely make a ton of mistakes as that's what generally happens when rookies start for the first time. Can't make a ton of mistakes and manage the game. Adding to that, we will be facing a 1st place schedule so expecting either one to come in and go 10-6 is asking too much I think.

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First of all I'm so pissed off right now. The Niners were so close....

Anyway, I think Manning has zero confidence he'll stay healthy, so he took the biggest payday he could get, and I think his plan is to bow out the instant he takes a really hard hit.

Manning could've had a SB ring on a silver platter with the Niners. He's a top 5 QB of all time, but now I don't see any why his legacy is any greater than Steve Young's legacy or Kurt Warner's. He's an amazing regular season QB who won 1 SB (with many more shots at it than Young & Warner). And the one he did win was pretty much handed to him by Rex Grossman.

He had a great chance at winning a second SB, but he blew is against the Saints. And there's no way he brings a SB trophy to Denver.

He had a chance to risk his health and go for the legacy of maybe the 2nd greatest QB of all time. I don't blame him for not doing it though.

Well you said it yourself based on his playoff track record there was hardly a guarantee that we'd even make it to the Super Bowl with him let alone win one.

And uh if he hasn't bowed out after 4 neck surgeries... Your assessment of his "plan" is... well it's something anyway.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Well you said it yourself based on his playoff track record there was hardly a guarantee that we'd even make it to the Super Bowl with him let alone win one.

You're right; it wouldn't be a guarantee. Of course. But he'd never have a better shot than with the Niners this year. They'd be EASILY the best team in the NFL and probably the best team the NFL has seen in years.

And uh if he hasn't bowed out after 4 neck surgeries... Your assessment of his "plan" is... well it's something anyway.

He didn't bow out after 4 neck surgeries because he wants one more pay day before he does. Denver is a retirement home for him.

Oh, and I didn't do Warner his justice. He would've had 2 SBs if the Steeler -loving refs didn't screw him like they did to the Seahawks in Superbowl 40.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
His new campaign. Fairly predictable.

Skip Bayless: I'd love to see Tim Tebow as the starting QB for the San Francisco 49ers, coached by a former "gamer" QB w/ great intangibles, Harbaugh.

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His new campaign. Fairly predictable.

Skip Bayless: I'd love to see Tim Tebow as the starting QB for the San Francisco 49ers, coached by a former "gamer" QB w/ great intangibles, Harbaugh.

Aw man seriously, fuck that.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Aw man seriously, fuck that.

This, after he said in late November/early December that San Francisco wouldn't be a good fit for him BECAUSE OF Harbaugh. I'm curious what changed for him IF he really believes this.

I have a small feeling that he's not really crazy about the idea and he's now sort of scrambling for a team that makes any kind of sense in his world. Even if it doesn't make sense to a large group of people. Also a team that is interesting enough that allows him to continue talking about it on the show. The Jaguars were that team for the longest time now but they recently signed Henne. That, and they aren't nearly as interesting (for the long haul) as the 49ers were given the season each team had and the 49ers being the runner up in the Peyton sweepstakes. All of that would allow him to continue the Tebow talk on the show, which for some dumb reason, continues to bring in the most people to that show.

That's just my theory. I very well could be wrong but I really believe at least some of that is what is going on here now.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've had to utilize this line too many times lately.......but let's stick criticizing what he *has* done, rather than hypothetical situations in which you posit he fails. Most people can admit that the Niners WR corps was pretty terrible last year after Morgan went down. Now he basically has an NFL-caliber set of targets, and lets see what he does......and if he fails, criticize him then.

Because I think the idea, with most people, is that Smith is better than mediocre if given a fair shake.

I guess I see this as a "he can never fail, because he's never being given everything to succeed" argument. What constitutes a fair shake? On offense last year, he had first round picks at both tackles, two WR's, and an all pro TE, in addition to high draft picks at RB, C, and both G's. I would call that more than a fair shake. Many QB's in this league have done more with less.

Now we're being asked to wait and see what he can do with another two first rounders at WR. Maybe I'm being critical before he fails, but nothing in his history suggests he is going to succeed with these new weapons. My criticism of his future expectation is based soley on his past failures.