• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lions will trade up to 1 or 2 for Clowney

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we're in much better shape at safety than we are at WR, but that's just me. I think the drop-off from Delmas to Don Carey isn't all that much- Delmas has way more talent, but Carey is much more disciplined.

I still hope we add another starter to pair with Glover either through the draft or free agency (James Idhebgo (sp?) is the guy I like), though, and keep Carey in the part-time slot role he did pretty well in for us last season...

That's how I see it as well. I like Carey as a flex guy. He can do a lot of things on the field for us. He is just not a superstar, but not everyone can be. Certainly better than wasting a roster spot on Wendling.

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
______________________________________________________________________________________

one reason why I wouldn't draft McGill.... and NFL.com analysis isn't the only one I read or even tend think is right all the time or some time. ESPN, Walter Football, Rotoword, Matt Miller. My eyes tell me enough but clarification from others and how I comprehend what it is said can verify.

NFL Events: Combine Player Profiles - Keith McGill

This passed season he switched to the CB position. He improved dramatically as the season unfolded. He was arguably the best CB in the senior bowl.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haha, real funny Rob Base. At least I understand that the Lions aren't one player away.

I never said the Lions were one player away. I said evidence suggests this is how the Lions think.

I'm beating the horse with WR talk and you're suggesting the Lions trade away everything to add to our stongest unit! And who cares about your corny predictions of the past. Lol

Again, you can't read or write.

You want to be Lions GM SO fucking bad you don't even take the time to read other people's posts, but expect everyone else to soak up your multiple essay long threads all about the same things.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nooooo, Smitty.

What's dumb is thinking that the offense is set just because we have CJ.

Let's just get real.

Mayhew has drafted tons of WR's and they all sucked. But you want him to take another one.

That's dumb as dog shit bro.

Doing the same thing over and over and over and over and expecting different results is insane.

Mayhew would be better off throwing $$$ at a FA WR and stick to what he does best - draft D linemen.

But maybe you're right. Maybe Mayhew is really a dumb ass and will go WR again. Maybe even 2 as some of you suggest. He might be that insane.

I'll stick to my guess that he tries to trade up for Clowney. He obviously loves to draft D-lineman just as isn't afraid to trade up into the top 5.

What I think they should do has nothing to do with this thread.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, you can't read or write.

You want to be Lions GM SO fucking bad you don't even take the time to read other people's posts, but expect everyone else to soak up your multiple essay long threads all about the same things.

Just think, only 2.5 more months before the draft. By that time this board will have turned into the Vikings board. I had really hoped that dissenting opinions could exist without the playground insults.

Good luck, Lions Fans!

(Commence with the "don't let the door hit ya.." comments)

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just think, only 2.5 more months before the draft. By that time this board will have turned into the Vikings board. I had really hoped that dissenting opinions could exist without the playground insults.

Good luck, Lions Fans!

(Commence with the "don't let the door hit ya.." comments)

I love playground insults and am happy to back them up. We all get together week 1 you should come. When posters call me corny, lol at my posts and call me out, it fires me the fuck up. I love it.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who is saying the offense is set?

Lionstop doesn't respect anyone here enough to read their posts, so he deserves none in return. No more reading his pages long essays and analysis. All the dude wants is to be heard. If he read anything here he wouldn't ask questions like this.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love playground insults and am happy to back them up. We all get together week 1 you should come. When posters call me corny, lol at my posts and call me out, it fires me the fuck up. I love it.
Nah, I'm all growed up.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Swarm; I could actually see J. Clowney still on the board at #4 or #5. My reasoning for that assumption is, Houston, Jax, Cle all need QB's. What I read on Walter Football, back in mid-January, was that Cleveland was hyped on Johnny football and having (2) 1st round picks would be willing to move up in the #2 slot. That leads me to believe that Clev may trade with STL trying to beat out Jax for Johnny. If Houston take Bridgewater or Bortles (my current thinking is Bortles) and Cleveland trades up to #2 to draft Manziel, that leaves Jax with Bridgewater. Stl doesn't NEED a DE, having Long and Quinn. This maneuver, if that trade were to happen, makes that move to go get Clowney from STL at #4 for this years 1st and 2nd round, not that it's what I'd like to see. There is that possibility though..

2/12: "The Browns seem prepared to move heaven and earth to select a new quarterback savior." - Peter King

1/24: "The Browns are "willing to trade up" to obtain Johnny Manziel." - Jason La Canfora
1/24: Cleveland's front office really likes Johnny Manziel. - Peter King.
1/24: The Browns had scouts at the Texas A&M-Missouri game, per NFL.com's Chase Goodbread.

Should Clowney make it to #4, IMO, Atl would be wheeling and Dealing in a major way to obtain him, regardless of the previous draft trade up to get Julio. Atl has more of a Major need for DE right now before FA.

Last edited by a moderator:

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Swarm; I could actually see J. Clowney still on the board at #4 or #5.

This maneuver, if that trade were to happen, makes that move to go get Clowney from STL at #4 for this years 1st and 2nd round, not that it's what I'd like to see. There is that possibility though...

Makes sense to me. If Mayhew was gonna do something similar for Peterson it makes sense that he'd try again with Clowney.

The Ram fans on here said they saw a report that said the Lions were rumored to be interested in trading up for Clowney, but I haven't been able to track it down.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't like the move simply from the fact of losing that 2nd rd pick. However, Jason Jones is coming off the ruptured patellar tendon, not easy to come back from in a years time and have the same strength and flexibility, cutting, planting, push-off as before. He didn't have but 2 1/2 games of action and showed little in that limited time. Willie Young is a FA so that leaves Ansah and Devin Taylor (Clowney's ex-teammate at South Carolina) who flashed some last year but still needs time to develop as a rotational DE. We're thin at DE to this point.

Having a DL line of Ansah-Suh_Fairley-Clowney would more than likely look outrageous.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not that it matters (and goes against the spirit of this thread) but personally, I'd freak out if they traded away the future for Clowney. I would have freaked out had they done the same for Peterson.

I'd support it, but I'd question it.

I'd question it because in the past, teams who have attempted such bold moves (Atlanta. Washington) have watched these kind of moves backfire on them BIG time.

I'd be excited though, because it means the Lions really are going for it in the next 1-3 years until these massive contracts force a make over.

And that takes balls. That's why I respect Atlanta even though it didn't work out for them. They did what they thought they had to do to jump the Saints.

Mayhew might think this is what he has to do to jump the Packers.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Houston, Jax, and Cleveland will have a very hard time trading down in hopes of picks and still getting a QB. If a team drops below Oakland or the Vikings all of the top 3 QBs will be gone IMO. I could very easily see Clowney their at 4 or 5.

Beacuse so many teams need QBs this year and they all are at the top of the draft I could see one of the top 3 tackles falling. This would create a huge problem….take Matthews at OT or a CB? Take Robinson or a Evans?

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big Blue,

Dont take anything I say personal. Sometimes the way I write makes it seem as if I'm being an ass. I like having good debates and hearing other opinions.

I agree with you here, you are usually pretty cool even though we disagree on the draft.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Houston, Jax, and Cleveland will have a very hard time trading down in hopes of picks and still getting a QB. If a team drops below Oakland or the Vikings all of the top 3 QBs will be gone IMO. I could very easily see Clowney their at 4 or 5.

Beacuse so many teams need QBs this year and they all are at the top of the draft I could see one of the top 3 tackles falling. This would create a huge problem….take Matthews at OT or a CB? Take Robinson or a Evans?
____________________________________________________________________________________
The OT's become Trade Bait, IMO... LT's are hard to come by especially when either of these two project to be possible Pro-Bowlers... The asking price goes up. However, someone in here stated that should one of these two OT's becomes available, we could move Reiff inside to LG, thereby cutting Rob Sims which saves 2.55 mil against the salary cap. Matthews would definitely be an upgrade over Reiff at LT, IMO. Robinson comes from a zone-read based offense so he doesn't have the experience t pass-pro like Matthews or even Lewan. It might be a little more risk for Robinson to immediately take over as starting LT. I would absolutely hate to see RT LaAdrian Waddle moved to the bench as he played extremely well in his 10 starts.

Also, having an OL of LT Matthews/Robinson..LG Reiff...C Richberg....RG Warford.. RT Waddle could be here to stay for quite some time, all young and grow together, provide athleticism for each position and possibly buy Stafford more time with protection

Last edited by a moderator:

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rob Base

Im actually a cool person and never really trip off petty stuff but you started firing off shots at me first about going on and in qbout a WR. My thing is; if you dont like it, just ignore it. Thats what I do. You ask if I want respect from here? Bro, I dont need respect from a message board. My life is good and only getting better. In fact, I wont argue about this dumb shit any more.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ahahahaha, Rob said all I want to do is be heard by a bunch of message board dudes. Ahahahahahaha. Im just killing time with all this shit. I have a great group of friends from this group so it doesnt really matter.

He also said I cant read or write. Lol.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not that it matters (and goes against the spirit of this thread) but personally, I'd freak out if they traded away the future for Clowney. I would have freaked out had they done the same for Peterson.

I'd support it, but I'd question it.

I'd question it because in the past, teams who have attempted such bold moves (Atlanta. Washington) have watched these kind of moves backfire on them BIG time.

I'd be excited though, because it means the Lions really are going for it in the next 1-3 years until these massive contracts force a make over.

And that takes balls. That's why I respect Atlanta even though it didn't work out for them. They did what they thought they had to do to jump the Saints.
____________________________________________________________________________________
Washington and Atlanta both gave up multiple 1st round picks. Washington (3) 1st rd and (1) 2nd rd pick. Atlanta gave up (2) 1st, (2) 2nd and (2) 4th round picks... Much more than the Lions would be giving up likely a 2014 1st and 2nd or (2) 1st rounds 2014 and 2015....

I wouldn't like it either (a trade up, losing picks) but it's Mayhew and the LIONS... I'd much rather see him give up this and next years 1st round picks as we really need this years 2nd round. If Mayhew targets a specific player for the 2nd round and that player isn't there, he has the opportunity to trade down. Plenty of trades occur from the 2nd round and beyond as it isn't as costly.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rob Base

Im actually a cool person and never really trip off petty stuff but you started firing off shots at me first about going on and in qbout a WR. My thing is; if you dont like it, just ignore it. Thats what I do. You ask if I want respect from here? Bro, I dont need respect from a message board. My life is good and only getting better. In fact, I wont argue about this dumb shit any more.

Thanks for admitting you don't read other people's posts. I'll add that to the other corny predictions I was correct about.

Ahahahaha, Rob said all I want to do is be heard by a bunch of message board dudes. Ahahahahahaha. Im just killing time with all this shit. I have a great group of friends from this group so it doesnt really matter.

He also said I cant read or write. Lol.

I take it back. You choose not to read, and prefer to write.