• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lions will trade up to 1 or 2 for Clowney

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also would target VanNoy in the 2nd round as our OLB. He's not Mack but I do not think he's that far off in his capabilities either. VanNoy may or may not be there in the 2nd rd and if he's not you could look at WR at that point.
I don't know if he is as good as Mack but I think the only difference between him and Barr is Barr has a higher ceiling due to his inexperience. I agree with taking a safety in the first round if Mack is gone. Trading down is easier said than done. We may be able to get away with it if someone wants to reach and get Carr or one of the other QB's slips to #10.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, why does everyone think there's no other players available outside of the guys we discuss? There is actually 2 or 3 2nd round safeties that could be available, several CBs, LBs and everything. There will be tons of options. We should be hoping the Lions get their scouting right because thats what it will come down to.

Right now, I like Evans in the first and McGill in the second-two huge guys with upside.
I'd be cool with Mack and Bryant (Clemson)
I'd be cool with Gilbert and Van Noy.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, why does everyone think there's no other players available outside of the guys we discuss? There is actually 2 or 3 2nd round safeties that could be available, several CBs, LBs and everything. There will be tons of options. We should be hoping the Lions get their scouting right because thats what it will come down to.

Right now, I like Evans in the first and McGill in the second-two huge guys with upside.
I'd be cool with Mack and Bryant (Clemson)
I'd be cool with Gilbert and Van Noy.
______________________________________________________________________________________
Available players in the 2nd rd and quality starters for the position you named, safety, are two different things, IMO... JMO, there's a huge drop-off from Gilbert and Dennard to Verrett (nickel only most likely and he has the best technique of all the cb's but is weiry) Roby, Purifoy and Roberson who both ran 4.59 or close to it and their coverage skills lack what we have currently. L. Joyner is another CB best suited for nickel. Kyle Fuller is coming off an injury plagued 2013 then there is Baptiste, Desir (reminds me of Greenwood). McGill is a converted safety will less than one year of experience at CB.

Safeties like Jimmie Ward, Ed Reynolds, Dion Bailey would all be over-drafted strictly on NEED base, IMO. Ward received a lot of recommendations from his play at the Senior Bowl. Bucannon and Dixon are strictly in the box safeties with little coverage skills.

I see a lot of depth at some positions. I just do not see quality depth at many positions. Hell, we could probably get Abbrederis or Josh Huff in the 4th rd, Moncreif in the 3rd round (6'3 220) and any of those could help out.

OLB's like VanNoy and Shazier are both capable starters, however, Shazier lacks a little in coverage skills compared to VanNoy. Then you have another step-down from there to other OLB's.

Last edited by a moderator:

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McGill, being a converted safety would be good for the Lions. Ward has huge upside per Mike Mayock. They also talked up the big CB, Gains as a good pick for teams looking for young talent. He ran a 4.3. Whether there is a slight drop-off, teams should still be able to get 3 starters from rounds 1 to 3 and some role players the rest of the way.

Lions should be able to knab a damn good player at 45 and its quite possible it could be two players from the same position group since its a deep draft and the Lions use BPA.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I stated was their is a drop-off, IMO. Why would the lions go and get a 2nd rd CB when they have 4 drafted in the last two years. If they think that position is a Huge Need then they'll take Dennard or Gilbert at #10, don't you think ? and not someone from the 2nd or 3rd or even later. I never stated they will not get a starter at #45 or at #76, so don't mix my words, LIONSTOP... RE-READ my post as it stated, "JMO"

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its quite possible it could be two players from the same position group since its a deep draft and the Lions use BPA.

Unless the two players the Lions draft are Watkins or Evans in round 1 and Cooks in round 2 -- I don't see another possibility where Detroit spends their 1st and 2nd round pick on the same position.

I think that is the only scenario where that could happen.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
8 Khalil MackOLB1BuffalorSr6-32511
10 Anthony BarrOLB2UCLASr6-52551
33 *Ryan ShazierOLB3Ohio StateJr6-12371-2
38Kyle Van NoyOLB4Brigham YoungrSr6-32431-2
46Trevor ReillyOLB5UtahrSr6-52452
60Telvin SmithOLB6Florida StateSr6-32182
67*Carl BradfordOLB7Arizona StaterJr6-12502-3

This is why I really hope someone like Mack falls to us. The drop after Mack and Barr is significant. While I would love Evans or Watkins -- 12 of the top 75 prospects are from the WR position, so Detroit will still get great value if they wait till the 2nd round.

OLB only has 6 in the top 75. FS only has 3 in the top 75. SS only has 1 in the top 75.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least my this thread didn't turn into a fucking clone of every other thread on here right now. Oh wait, yes it did.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as far as the CB position -- i agree with evil. if detroit doesn't draft gilbert or dennard, i'm not sure you will see them spend a pick on the CB position at all in this draft.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
clones.jpg

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big Blue,

Dont take anything I say personal. Sometimes the way I write makes it seem as if I'm being an ass. I like having good debates and hearing other opinions.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least my this thread didn't turn into a fucking clone of every other thread on here right now. Oh wait, yes it did.

Did anyone talk aboot Suh needing to move on yet? That stupid shit made me avoid this board for a week. (Didn't want to call people dumbfucks)

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haha, real funny Rob Base. At least I understand that the Lions aren't one player away. I'm beating the horse with WR talk and you're suggesting the Lions trade away everything to add to our stongest unit! And who cares about your corny predictions of the past. Lol

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nooooo, Smitty.

What's dumb is thinking that the offense is set just because we have CJ.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nooooo, Smitty.

Love ya Yao! See ya next week buddy. Hahahahahaha. (Our receivers stink, lots of receivers that might not will be available mid to late. Charles Rogers, Mike Williams, Titus, Broyles, Derrick Williams.... it's a high bust position. Especially with this franchise. We have a #1 locked up for years. And that's all I have to say on wide outs.)

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Who is saying the offense is set? The only thing people have been saying is -- the WR position is the deepest position in the draft. You could get great value at the position in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, while other holes on the team, you will not.

I think everyone is on board the Lions need at least one WR and most likely 2 in this draft.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McGill, being a converted safety would be good for the Lions. Ward has huge upside per Mike Mayock. They also talked up the big CB, Gains as a good pick for teams looking for young talent. He ran a 4.3. Whether there is a slight drop-off, teams should still be able to get 3 starters from rounds 1 to 3 and some role players the rest of the way.

Lions should be able to knab a damn good player at 45 and its quite possible it could be two players from the same position group since its a deep draft and the Lions use BPA.

______________________________________________________________________________________

one reason why I wouldn't draft McGill.... and NFL.com analysis isn't the only one I read or even tend think is right all the time or some time. ESPN, Walter Football, Rotoword, Matt Miller. My eyes tell me enough but clarification from others and how I comprehend what it is said can verify.

NFL Events: Combine Player Profiles - Keith McGill

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its all about Clowney now peeps.