• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lions will trade up to 1 or 2 for Clowney

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The experts said the same thing about the Giants when they still had Osi and Tuck and they still drafted JPP. All it did was get them 2 Superbowls.

All die hard Lions fans know Mayhew drafts BPA. Skipping over BPA to fill needs is how bad teams stay bad and that's never been this regimes philosophy.

Ideally, the Rams should run to the podium to take Clowney, but unfortunately for them they STILL need help at LT.
_____________________________________________________________________________________
Then how is it that the SeaHawks selected Bruce Irvin, who was ranked at best, the #39 overall player and Seattle took him at #13. Was Bruce Irvin BPA at #13. Irvin is nothing more than a situational "Leo LB" rusher. Who won the SB this year ? Drafting needs seemed to work for Seattle.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dont get caught up in that chart BB, is pretty outdated. Last year the Phins moved up from 12 to 3 for a second rd pick (#42 I think) with the Raiders. None of the trades in the last few years have held to the values in that chart for the early rounds.

Even at a reduced cost it does make the premise of this trade any less ridiculous though.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the cost to move up to 1 or 2 would be higher than you think, Rob..

I don't know what it would be but you're probably right that it would look similar to the Skins deal. Mayhew is on his last leg and will do whatever it takes to save his job and win the North in 14. IF the Ford's give him the ok to mortgage the future with the belief that the Lions really are "ready to win now" as we keep being told by our top brass, then look out fans.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then how is it that the SeaHawks selected Bruce Irvin, who was ranked at best, the #39 overall player and Seattle took him at #13. Was Bruce Irvin BPA at #13.

BPA is whoever the team picking at the time thinks is BPA, not what the experts rank them pre-draft. So yes, he was BPA and honestly, not a need at all at the time for the Hawks.

Seattle took Christine Micheal in the 2nd round last year and he barely even suited up for them in 2013. But he's a super stud of the future. BPA bro!

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RobBase, with the LIONS DB's situation, I would tend to think that would be an area of concern first for Mayhew than selling out future 1st and 2nd round picks just to draft Clowney. Granted, we still need another DE and DT but not for the price that Houston or Stl would most likely demand. On that note, Miami traded their #13 pick and their 2nd rounder to Oakland last year for DE Dion Jordan. That was ridiculous on Oakland's part and it just doesn't happen (outside of this rarity). Oakland didn't have a 2nd round pick last year (bc of selecting QB Terrell Pryor in the previous supplementel draft) and Oakland was targeting CB DJ Hayden firmly believing NOBODY would select him that early (and no one would have selected him that early, plus he sucked ass last year like 90% of CB's do in their 1st year.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I REALLY liked it better when you guys were drafting Wr after Wr, rather than D line after D line... Spread the love, just say NO to Clowney.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BPA is whoever the team picking at the time thinks is BPA, not what the experts rank them pre-draft. So yes, he was BPA and honestly, not a need at all at the time for the Hawks.

Seattle took Christine Micheal in the 2nd round last year and he barely even suited up for them in 2013. But he's a super stud of the future. BPA bro!
_____________________________________________________________________________________
Well, you keep trying to sell yourself on that notion. Now, if you had stated that Seattle didn't think Irvin would be there in the 2nd round for their pick, then I'll buy that. But seriously, you want to try to sell me that BS train of thought.... C'mon Man

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, you keep trying to sell yourself on that notion. Now, if you had stated that Seattle didn't think Irvin would be there in the 2nd round for their pick, then I'll buy that. But seriously, you want to try to sell me that BS train of thought.... C'mon Man

Seattle drafts BPA bro. Do the research. Christine Micheal and Bruce Irvin are evidence of this.

Draft magazines and "media experts" have nothing to do with how teams draft.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dont get caught up in that chart BB, is pretty outdated. Last year the Phins moved up from 12 to 3 for a second rd pick (#42 I think) with the Raiders. None of the trades in the last few years have held to the values in that chart for the early rounds.

Even at a reduced cost it does make the premise of this trade any less ridiculous though.

The Redskins traded away (3) 1st round picks; 2012, 2013, 2014 and this years 2nd round pick. Just to move from #6 to #2...Granted that was dumb by Snyder and Need based for a QB, but it still happens... Atl was in the same boat for Julio going from #25 to #6.... Dallas from #15 or whatever to get CB Morris Claiborne at #6

Last edited by a moderator:

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mayhew will save his job by finally getting a legit #2 at 10 and adding three terrific defensive players in the next rounds and possibly one FA. FACT

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bet any kind of money Mayhew is under pressure to find a compliment to CJ because everyone in the world knows how bad the team is without him.

Dr. Evil-er

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I appreciate that you want a build a team for 10 years from now. But again, IF what the Lions are selling us is true they don't give a fuck about your salary cap woes, and plan to win NOW, as in next 3 years.

Not sure how keeping the valueable picks we have to fill other significant holes is part of a 10 year plan but whatever. The salary cap benefits from more younger players under the contracts of the new CBA not hurts it so I dont understand that either.

I 100% guran-damn-tee Mayhew is NOT drafting with the mindset that he'll be here in 5 or 10 years. He's drafting to save his ass now.

Again with the 5-10 year? Is there any GM drafting for a 5-10 year plan to win? His moves in FA last year proved he was in job preservation mode. I would agree that this year wont be any different. What I do disagree with is giving away valuable draft picks, and probably quite a few of them, this year and probably next to land one player at a spot that would be ranked near the very bottom of where I think our needs are at.

My opinion is just my opinion on what I think they need, your's is your opinion on where the need it. That doesnt make mine wrong and yours right though.

It doesnt really matter what the Lions do, I'll be rooting for them anyway and probably still be of the opinion that Mayhew is a clueless fuck who should have been fired long ago. If he trades up then he trades up, I wont agree with it but I have no say in the matter.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seattle drafts BPA bro. Do the research. Christine Micheal and Bruce Irvin are evidence of this.

Draft magazines and "media experts" have nothing to do with how teams draft.

How did that work out for Seattle drafting a one year college LT in James Carpenter out of Bama in the 1st round ? BPA.... a 3rd round talent taken in the 1st round. Why didn't BPA ex-Tex A+M RB Christine Michael beat out ex-Utah St. RB Robert Turbin (turbin is smaller and slower than Michael).... BPA right ?

Dr. Evil-er

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Redskins traded away (3) 1st round picks; 2012, 2013, 2014 and this years 2nd round pick. Just to move from #6 to #2...Granted that was dumb by Snyder and Need based for a QB, but it still happens... Atl was in the same boat for Julio going from #25 to #6.... Dallas from #15 or whatever to get CB Morris Claiborne at #6

I just think a trade for a QB by its very nature will cost more than any other position. And #25 to #6 is a big move and I'm pretty sure the Cowboys only gave up a second rd pick in the Claiborne trade. But your point is well taken and I agree that the cost would be significant for this move, more than just our second rounder, and even if that was the cost I would still be against it.

The very high % of posters on here seem to be other the belief that its the draft where you build a championship team (I am one of them) so trading away picks isnt the route I would go.

But I'm a Financial Consultant not an NFL GM so its irrelevant what I think. He will do whatever he thinks is best. Time will tell if he was right.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure how keeping the valueable picks we have to fill other significant holes is part of a 10 year plan but whatever. The salary cap benefits from more younger players under the contracts of the new CBA not hurts it so I dont understand that either.

Again with the 5-10 year?

My point is clearly and simply Mayhew drafting for the long term vs. Mayhew drafting for 2014 to save his job and deliver on their public goal of winning the North or bust.

What I do disagree with is giving away valuable draft picks...

Not about what you agree or disagree with, you aren't the GM. I keep hammering this home and will keep doing it until it sinks in.

My opinion is just my opinion on what I think they need, your's is your opinion on where the need it.

My opinion on what they need or where they need it is irrelevant, as is yours. This thread is dedicated to fans interested in decifering what the Lions will do, not fantasy fan thread # 4723521753127.

That doesnt make mine wrong and yours right though.

Every year some of us are proved right and proved wrong. Fans who said they would draft Smith and/or Curry were wrong. Fans who said they'd draft Stafford were right. Fans who said the Lions were drafting a LT last year were wrong. Fans who said Ansah would be the pick, were correct.

It's OK to be wrong. I was wrong about Peyton Manning losing to the Chargers and I'm man enough to own up to that. But I was right about Stafford, Suh and Ansah and I'm not going act like I wasn't. I much prefer trying to be in tune with my team in real life. Fantasy play is for Madden. That's my opinion.

It doesnt really matter what the Lions do, I'll be rooting for them anyway

This we agree on. Hooray! :suds:

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last post about your straw man Seattle argument. Go do research on Seattle and talk with Hawks fans if you want to talk Seattle after this. This thread is about what the Lions will do, nothing to do with Seattle.

How did that work out for Seattle drafting a one year college LT in James Carpenter out of Bama in the 1st round ? BPA.... a 3rd round talent taken in the 1st round.

"Carpenter had a good post-season performance and, according to Sports Illustrated, went "from a third-round choice to a player who could be a surprise pick late in round one"

James Carpenter (American football) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Why didn't BPA ex-Tex A+M RB Christine Michael beat out ex-Utah St. RB Robert Turbin (turbin is smaller and slower than Michael).... BPA right ?

For the 5th time, Yes sir, Seattle drafts BPA.

Coach Pete Carroll "really hyped up" Christine Michael at the NFL Combine, calling him the Seahawks' "biggest breakout candidate."

Michael has nasty running talent, but it's going to be difficult for him to "break out" as long as he's parked behind Marshawn Lynch on the depth chart. Seattle does fancy C-Mike as its franchise back of the future. He'll be a late-round re-draft flier in 2014, but holds borderline RB2 Dynasty value with mammoth forward-thinking upside. Michael was the 62nd overall pick in last April's draft

Last edited by a moderator:

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Lions' FO really thinks they are one player away from the Super Bowl, the I would think they should focus on another dynamic receiver to complement Megatron.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, dude. Just putting my opinion out there. No need to get personal or use foul language.

As I mentioned, if you keep going your merry-go-round of opinions will eventually hit on the correct choice.

Maybe I'm wrong reading this comment as snide. If so, I apologize.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Lions' FO really thinks they are one player away from the Super Bowl, the I would think they should focus on another dynamic receiver to complement Megatron.

IF they do, do you agree that they would have to trade up to get Watkins, and that he would be the Lions only Super Bowl ready WR on their draft board?

If you're right, I think my trade up theory still applies.