• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lions will trade up to 1 or 2 for Clowney

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're biased against the Lions secondary, because you saw them suck first-hand. But the truth is that all 3 of those team's passing defense in the year they went to the Super Bowl was god-awful. They each set (then broke) the record for worse passing defense to ever make it to the big game.

Our secondary was bad, no doubt about it, but we weren't even the worst in the league this year, let alone one of the worst of all time like these teams.

I think the reason their pass defense was so bad numbers wise was that GB, NO, and NE all had powerful pass offenses that scored alot.....making the other teams pass alot.....numbers can be a lie sometimes.....just like all those yards stafford gets when teams go in prevent up 20 on detroit.......wish i could blame detroits defense on prevent.....but they seem to never hold leads or they just get beat deep early.....only game i really remember prevent killing detroits defense was the chicago game where they let cutler put up numbers.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TrustmeImright,

Come on over to the dark side because that last post you wrote screams "I really want a WR at ten but will hold it in for the sake of an argument." Anyone who wants Watkins will settle for Evans. Lol

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TrustmeImright,

Come on over to the dark side because that last post you wrote screams "I really want a WR at ten but will hold it in for the sake of an argument." Anyone who wants Watkins will settle for Evans. Lol

I still would rather see the Lions use the 1st round pick to upgrade defensively, but with Watkins, he would give the offense options, because he could be used outside or in the slot, as well as a return man, if need be. Plus, Watkins is going to be much better catching the ball in space and turning it into a big play.

I wouldn't be upset if they took Evans, but if I had my choice, it'd be Watkins and any number of defensive players over Evans.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd give a our second rounder to move up for him but nothing more. Players like him don't come along very often. Trading as much as the Redskins did for RG3 is just assinine however.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get why so many people are saying they are going to take Clowney over a QB? Bringing up the Mario Williams draft.
1) It was a different GM
2) They passed over a RB, not a QB (the most important position by far)

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know thunder. He seems by far the best athlete in the draft. If you can get past the attitude questions, I think you have to take him if you have the first pick.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know thunder. He seems by far the best athlete in the draft. If you can get past the attitude questions, I think you have to take him if you have the first pick.

Not when you desperately need a QB like Houston does.

Compounding it is the fact that Clowney is a 4-3 DE, and Houston runs a 3-4. Not to say Clowney's skill-set wouldn't work there, but it's yet another risk added to an already iffy proposition...

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only way the Lions take Clowney is if he falls to them.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Id J my P's if we got Clowney. Wouldn't give a flying fuck how we went about getting him either.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not when you desperately need a QB like Houston does.

Compounding it is the fact that Clowney is a 4-3 DE, and Houston runs a 3-4. Not to say Clowney's skill-set wouldn't work there, but it's yet another risk added to an already iffy proposition...
I just don't see a QB in this draft that is worth the #1. Then again, Clowney's attitude poses substantial risk. I guess what I'm saying is I have no damn clue what I would do.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clowney's attitude is a bit suspect to me. He seems like one of those players that will only perform in situations he likes, otherwise he wont put forth a full effort.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How did this make 5 pages? :noidea:

Dr. Evil-er

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When the defensive lineman option is faster than the receiver option there's plenty to talk about.

In a deep draft where we can fill multiple needs we want to trade away valuable picks to get a position we dont need?

Ansah, Jones is back this year, Taylor showed plenty of promise in limited action (I think he's got starter potential all over him), and Young was very effective and can be brought back at an extremely reasonable price.

I don't get it all. Hope to god its not even a consideration. Much better idea to trade back for more picks in a deep draft than it is to move forward and give away picks IMO. I've heard multiple talking heads saying how teams in the 20's are getting top 10 talents from previous drafts and the depth of talent into the other rounds in getting starters is also there.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dudes a freak of nature. (Willie Young playing for a nickel wouldnt be value over JC. and Willies prolly my favorite Lion.)There are 80 billion receivers in this draft. We'll probably draft the one that gets hurt walking his dog or some shit. Id like to see us avoid the position early. (Is there a spot with a higher bust rate?) If that means we avoid it by dealing our second rounder and a pick next year, Im cool with it. (This is how there's five pages.).

Dr. Evil-er

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dudes a freak of nature. (Willie Young playing for a nickel wouldnt be value over JC. and Willies prolly my favorite Lion.)There are 80 billion receivers in this draft. We'll probably draft the one that gets hurt walking his dog or some shit. Id like to see us avoid the position early. (Is there a spot with a higher bust rate?) If that means we avoid it by dealing our second rounder and a pick next year, Im cool with it. (This is how there's five pages.).

I want a S, not a WR in the first round, and I want to trade back to get him. I'm sure we will find our broken WR somewhere in the draft because its so deep. But there is no way I can get behind the idea of mortgaging the franchise by sacrificing early round picks this year and probably next to get a guy at a position I think is at the bottom of our need areas.

If we are going to build a championship team through the draft we need draft picks to do that. One guy is not going to get us there. Get starter quality players at S, CB, OLB, or WR, all areas where we are weak and IMO the team gets a lot better. One guy at DE where we already have talent and some late round depth picks isnt going to improve the team to the extent filling those other holes will. That's my view anyway. Lord only knows what Mayhew will do.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we're in much better shape at safety than we are at WR, but that's just me. I think the drop-off from Delmas to Don Carey isn't all that much- Delmas has way more talent, but Carey is much more disciplined.

I still hope we add another starter to pair with Glover either through the draft or free agency (James Idhebgo (sp?) is the guy I like), though, and keep Carey in the part-time slot role he did pretty well in for us last season...

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't consider us set at DE by any means. I like Willie a lot, not sure if he'll be back. No idea about Jones on the return. Taylor may pan out to be a starter, but not sure. Clowney stands out to me as the biggest impact player in the draft and a sure fire upgrade over any option currently on the roster. (Id be happy as hell to see us drop back and go with a safety. Then go with another oversized safety later as Don Carey played linebacker more than Ashley Palmer did.). Corner concerns me as I don't see any rookie helping that sorry secondary, this season. Also don't see a FA starting caliber corner being brought in if that happens, which would really disappoint me. Linebacker seems like a spot that wouldn't be seeing huge time, unless the new regime stays in base WAAAY more than I anticipate.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want a S, not a WR in the first round, and I want to trade back to get him. I'm sure we will find our broken WR somewhere in the draft because its so deep. But there is no way I can get behind the idea of mortgaging the franchise by sacrificing early round picks this year and probably next to get a guy at a position I think is at the bottom of our need areas.

If we are going to build a championship team through the draft we need draft picks to do that. One guy is not going to get us there. Get starter quality players at S, CB, OLB, or WR, all areas where we are weak and IMO the team gets a lot better. One guy at DE where we already have talent and some late round depth picks isnt going to improve the team to the extent filling those other holes will. That's my view anyway. Lord only knows what Mayhew will do.
_____________________________________________________________________________________
:10:....:agree:This.

I'd really like to see Mack in a Lions uni as I feel he is by far the best at his position and that he wouldn't be coming off the field all that often, like Palmer does. Yes, there exists certain nickel and dime situations where he'll come off. I still believe he has shown the capabilities, like Keuchly, to cover TE's and RB's out of the backfield not to mention he could be a stand-up rusher.

Saying all this, I have to agree with Dr. Evil that we build this team through the draft and that means, JMO, acquiring more picks via trading down, especially with this draft being as deep as it appears. S seems to be the position that is "more need base" for the Lions at this time (FA pick-up may change this). The possible problem that could occur in a trade down is (1) Stl., Chi., Pit all have needs for CB and S. JMO, the talent drops off considerably after Pryor, Clinton-Dix, Dennard and Gilbert. Pit doesn't have a 3rd round pick this year so it's unlikely that they'd trade up. I still think once Watkins and Mack are gone that a Trade down exists with both the NYG and Chi. That extra 4th rd pick(s) could be huge for the Lions should MayXanders hit on those. Dropping down from #10 to #12 then again to #14 still gives us that shot to acquire 2 of those 4, one of them being a FS. We should be giving Slay and Bentley a shot to prove they can play this year. It's not like there won't be CB's available to draft next year.

I also would target VanNoy in the 2nd round as our OLB. He's not Mack but I do not think he's that far off in his capabilities either. VanNoy may or may not be there in the 2nd rd and if he's not you could look at WR at that point. Our 3rd round pick will more than likely be used to replace Raiola. I'd prefer Colo St. Weston Richberg over any other C. The good centers will be gone before the 4th rd (Richberg, Swanson, Larsen). I still don't believe any of the Centers in this draft are worthy being drafted before the 3rd rd. but there are teams in need so some team will more than likely take on late in the 2nd rd. JMO

Having 4 picks in the first 4 rounds or having 6 picks in the first 4 rds. by trading down twice to get to #14 could be huge, IMO. We need another DE and DT for rotational purposes and trying to find good talent in the 6th and 7th round is unlikely.

My viewpoint on team needs (not necessarily in order) FS, OLB, C, 2-WR's, DE, DT, CB, OT (do not bring back Fox) that's nine players of positions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr. Evil-er

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why was Mary Mary so contrary? Was she a Lions fan or just a bitch? :whistle: