• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Athletic article that sums up all we've said about the Warriors going forward

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Meh, other teams may not be happy about it, but, imo, it's more like how NFL owners are said to be mad at the Browns for fully guaranteeing DeShaun Watsons contract. It sets a precedent that other teams didn't want set because they may have to make some tough choices now. If they end up in a situation where they have to let players go because they can't/won't pay the tax that the Warriors did, their fans are going to be mad.

Not sure what other teams could actually do about it, though.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh, other teams may not be happy about it, but, imo, it's more like how NFL owners are said to be mad at the Browns for fully guaranteeing DeShaun Watsons contract. It sets a precedent that other teams didn't want set because they may have to make some tough choices now. If they end up in a situation where they have to let players go because they can't/won't pay the tax that the Warriors did, their fans are going to be mad.

Not sure what other teams could actually do about it, though.

It's potentially called a hard cap.

They've already started new talks on the CBA which expires in a few years. The way the Warriors and others have spent the last couple of years, it is almost a certainty that there will be a new system in place where teams wont be allowed to spend WAY more than other teams. It's just not good for parity when some teams are spending a lot more than others.

23/24 season is the last year of the CBA. What is crazy is that it probably wont be the Warriors that will be most effected by the coming change as their troublesome contracts expire around then. A team like my Wolves who are going to have 3 max contracts on the books by then could be the ones that are forced to make trades to get around the new spending rules.

But it will be interesting to see how it plays out. I mean the Warriors are only paying about $40-$50M more to players than your average team. What is crazy is that they are paying THAT $50M....but then playing almost $150M to the rest of the league for the right to do so.

As much as teams bitch about the advantage it gives, do they care enough about it to kill the about $12M in revenue that they earned last year off of teams who were willing to violate the tax? Somehow I doubt it.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They've already started new talks on the CBA which expires in a few years. The way the Warriors and others have spent the last couple of years, it is almost a certainty that there will be a new system in place where teams wont be allowed to spend WAY more than other teams. It's just not good for parity when some teams are spending a lot more than others.

23/24 season is the last year of the CBA. What is crazy is that it probably wont be the Warriors that will be most effected by the coming change as their troublesome contracts expire around then. A team like my Wolves who are going to have 3 max contracts on the books by then could be the ones that are forced to make trades to get around the new spending rules.

But it will be interesting to see how it plays out. I mean the Warriors are only paying about $40-$50M more to players than your average team. What is crazy is that they are paying THAT $50M....but then playing almost $150M to the rest of the league for the right to do so.

As much as teams bitch about the advantage it gives, do they care enough about it to kill the about $12M in revenue that they earned last year off of teams who were willing to violate the tax? Somehow I doubt it.

What might balance that out is that the tv money that hits in 2025 will bump the salary cap considerably.

Working under the assumption that the players' union will once again prefer a major spike, a one-year increase of over $50 million isn't out of the realm of possibility.

According to a league source, projections indicate that a $171 million salary cap is possible, assuming no cap smoothing, by 2025.

Should the NBPA instead agree to cap smoothing, it's likely the league will still see annual increases to the extent of $15 million, according to source.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lacob said he won't pay 400 million in luxury

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How you figure that
150 payroll 250 in tax. But I haven't looked at it closely. Couldn't be happier with my team and its ownership, I support whatever they want to do.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
150 payroll 250 in tax. But I haven't looked at it closely. Couldn't be happier with my team and its ownership, I support whatever they want to do.

Lol 150?

In 2 years?

So you guys keeping Curry klay Poole Wiggins dray etc etc for 150?

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol 150?

In 2 years?

So you guys keeping Curry klay Poole Wiggins dray etc etc for 150?
I'll let them figure it out. They've done about as well as it's possible to do. In 2 years both Klay and Dray are due new deals, they will be on the back end and I could see them getting 40 combined. Curry is what 55? So 55 for poole and Wiggins can work.

But that's all down the road, I trust them to keep spending and contending.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll let them figure it out. They've done about as well as it's possible to do. In 2 years both Klay and Dray are due new deals, they will be on the back end and I could see them getting 40 combined. Curry is what 55? So 55 for poole and Wiggins can work.

But that's all down the road, I trust them to keep spending and contending.

And I'm not asking you to get in the weeds but I'm telling you the luxury alone will be 400 mil plus and Lakob is on record saying he won't pay it.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I'm not asking you to get in the weeds but I'm telling you the luxury alone will be 400 mil plus and Lakob is on record saying he won't pay it.
Still pretty happy with things, both present and future

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And you should be

My whole contention has been Bob Meyers is full of shit.
Meh, it's just talk and speculation and a GM having to be careful in what he says or doesn't say. They'll make something work.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh, it's just talk and speculation and a GM having to be careful in what he says or doesn't say. They'll make something work.

It's gonna work regardless. Just minus one or two pieces. The day is coming that they have to pick between Klay and Dray or Wiggins and Poole.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's gonna work regardless. Just minus one or two pieces. The day is coming that they have to pick between Klay and Dray or Wiggins and Poole.
I don't think they will ever break up the big 3 so Wiggins and Poole. If the 3 young guns emerge one of those is expendable

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Warriors are very frugal.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

if they did this, they would almost certainly do another "Allan Houston" rule type situation. Where you can remove a player from your cap space, but he still gets paid.

Or it would be phased in