• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Athletic article that sums up all we've said about the Warriors going forward

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I presume some of you can read this

Gets into all of it, the youngsters, Poole, Wiggins, the big 3, the massive luxury tax, etc

Some bullet points:

- They can wait on Poole he's still a RFA after this year, no need to extend now
- Wiggins may need to be signed soon or he's a UFA. Talk is $28-30 mil per which is a hometown discount he would be inclined to take, don't want to let the open market tempt him
- The kids (Moody, Wiseman, Kuminga) will get a lot more run as the old guys rest. Playoff seeding not a big deal to these guys who win on the road in the playoffs all the time
- Wiseman's knee seems ready and he will compete in Summer League for the first time in his career
- The article claims there is simply no amount of payroll or tax the owners won't pay. Bottomless well of cash available (we'll see)...they even think they'll re-sign GPII and Looney
- They still have Kerr who knows how to win rings better than any current coach (today, I know Pop is 'better' but coaching is pretty idiosyncratic I don't know that Pop would have done better with this team

Bottom line, Warriors are still contenders, I know that thrills most of you so much

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Gets into all of it, the youngsters, Poole, Wiggins, the big 3, the massive luxury tax, etc

Some bullet points:

- They can wait on Poole he's still a RFA after this year, no need to extend now
- Wiggins may need to be signed soon or he's a UFA. Talk is $28-30 mil per which is a hometown discount he would be inclined to take, don't want to let the open market tempt him
- The kids (Moody, Wiseman, Kuminga) will get a lot more run as the old guys rest. Playoff seeding not a big deal to these guys who win on the road in the playoffs all the time
- Wiseman's knee seems ready and he will compete in Summer League for the first time in his career
- The article claims there is simply no amount of payroll or tax the owners won't pay. Bottomless well of cash available (we'll see)...they even think they'll re-sign GPII and Looney
- They still have Kerr who knows how to win rings better than any current coach (today, I know Pop is 'better' but coaching is pretty idiosyncratic I don't know that Pop would have done better with this team

Bottom line, Warriors are still contenders, I know that thrills most of you so much

It will be interesting to see.

I thought they would pay limitless tax to resign KD and Klay, and I am sure they would have.

This feels a bit different?

But mad props if they open the wallet and pay the huge tax to keep everyone. Got to respect that.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Some bullet points:

My take has been they know they have it great right now, but how long can Curry, Thompson, and Green last? You gotta make hay when the sun shines, so pay up now because who knows when the skies will be this clear ever again!

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My take has been they know they have it great right now, but how long can Curry, Thompson, and Green last? You gotta make hay when the sun shines, so pay up now because who knows when the skies will be this clear ever again!
Yep, that's why they seem willing to pay insane amounts of cash, how often do you get a chance to fund a dynasty for a decade+?

They are raking it in too, and of course the franchise value has exploded. They paid $450 million for the team in late 2010. Since then they have the new arena that hosts major events all year, and the franchise is now worth an estimated $5 BILLION. That was in April of this year so maybe more now. Revenue was $700 million so even if the payroll including tax is $400 million+ they are doing just fine and can spend like crazy.

It's kind of weird rooting for a team that has become the Steinbrenner Yankees of the NBA...especially the late 1990s teams which had a homegrown core and still outspent everyone.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, that's why they seem willing to pay insane amounts of cash, how often do you get a chance to fund a dynasty for a decade+?

They are raking it in too, and of course the franchise value has exploded. They paid $450 million for the team in late 2010. Since then they have the new arena that hosts major events all year, and the franchise is now worth an estimated $5 BILLION. That was in April of this year so maybe more now. Revenue was $700 million so even if the payroll including tax is $400 million+ they are doing just fine and can spend like crazy.

It's kind of weird rooting for a team that has become the Steinbrenner Yankees of the NBA...especially the late 1990s teams which had a homegrown core and still outspent everyone.
What is amazing to me is that they have been able to accumulate some really good young talent right now while still being able to make runs for the Rings. Paying them all right now make sense in the long term since they can learn what it takes to win for the day when those core three retire and there may not be a huge plummet and rebuild.
Just great management.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is amazing to me is that they have been able to accumulate some really good young talent right now while still being able to make runs for the Rings. Paying them all right now make sense in the long term since they can learn what it takes to win for the day when those core three retire and there may not be a huge plummet and rebuild.
Just great management.
And a lot of luck too. They were terrible at the exact right time (2020) which was the Covid year that sucked anyway, and got them a top pick in a great draft class (Wiseman) to go with the top pick from the D'Lo deal (Kuminga), etc. The Durant for D'Lo for Wiggins + a pick was the key to the whole thing, and that was just great management for sure to make those deals.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will be interesting to see.

I thought they would pay limitless tax to resign KD and Klay, and I am sure they would have.

This feels a bit different?

But mad props if they open the wallet and pay the huge tax to keep everyone. Got to respect that.
KD wanted out. He wanted the love that Steph got from the fans, and he was never going to be THAT guy with the Dubs. After the first KD chip, one of the Dubs owners put his foot in his mouth and said at the parade that the Dubs won before KD, which reportedly (and rightfully) pissed off KD. I thought that pretty much ended the KD run right there.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Some bullet points:

Gotta love a owner who lives up to his word.

Winning over Finances.

Like, I don't advocate for spending 100 m in luxury tax to finish 42-40 like the Clippers.

But, for Chips?

Love it.

Also agree that you have a great mix of win now/build for the future.

Doesn't matter if the kiddie corps don't have a true franchise guy amoungst them, and I don't think it's definitive that they don't.

It's a problem for when Curry stops being Curry.

They are still the Favs , as currently constructed, until proven otherwise.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta love a owner who lives up to his word.

Winning over Finances.

Like, I don't advocate for spending 100 m in luxury tax to finish 42-40 like the Clippers.

But, for Chips?

Love it.

Also agree that you have a great mix of win now/build for the future.

Doesn't matter if the kiddie corps don't have a true franchise guy amoungst them, and I don't think it's definitive that they don't.

It's a problem for when Curry stops being Curry.

They are still the Favs , as currently constructed, until proven otherwise.

Cowherd and Joy Taylor had an interesting idea about this that they were discussing last week.

If you are re-signing your own players that you drafted and developed, their salaries should count towards the cap...but not the luxury tax.

Their point was that the league wants less movement, especially of star players, so they try to incentivize the players to stay by allowing their teams to offer them more money, but then penalize those teams via the luxury tax when they are able to keep them.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cowherd and Joy Taylor had an interesting idea about this that they were discussing last week.

If you are re-signing your own players that you drafted and developed, their salaries should count towards the cap...but not the luxury tax.

Their point was that the league wants less movement, especially of star players, so they try to incentivize the players to stay by allowing their teams to offer them more money, but then penalize those teams via the luxury tax when they are able to keep them.
That would be good.

Otherwise, teams like Memphis are gonna have some tough choices to make soon.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think all sports should embrace something like this. But not only a binary solution. There should be different tiers for how much of a salary count towards a lux tax.

For example, the league min should be exempt from every contract. If the league min is 1M and a player signs a 10M 1 year deal, only 9M of that contract should count towards the tax.

If the team drafted the player (or acquired the players rights within, say, 10 days of the draft), none of that player’s salary should count. If that player is traded, a portion of their existing contract will be applied to the tax.

If a team signs a FA from a different team, their entire contract (minus league min) would be applied to the tax.

If a team trades for a player, a certain portion of their contract will be applied.

If a team resigns their own player, another multiplier is applied, probably based on how long the player has been with the club, and whether they lined via FA or trade.

UDFAs or G-league signings should probably be treated as if they were drafted (but only for the player’s first team).

These are quick thoughts. Fine tuning would of course be needed, but I like the concept.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
West likely to be MUCH better next season

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
West likely to be MUCH better next season
Indeed, starting with the Warriors!

Regular season ain't shit anyway.

Look obviously repeats are hard but this will not be like Milwaukee or Toronto, these guys are right there in the group of 4-5 contenders next year. We need to see what happens in the offseason to know the others. Is Phoenix still all that? Everyone including me thought so until the playoffs didn't go as well. Denver should be better with those 2 guys back but title level? Clippers? Meanwhile in the East, Boston I suppose is going to contend again. Milwaukee too.

Too early to say all of the teams.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I disagree. The whole point of the luxury tax is to allow teams that want to overspend to do so, but to dissuade them from it for competitive balance reasons. It's not fair for the smaller market teams.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. The whole point of the luxury tax is to allow teams that want to overspend to do so, but to dissuade them from it for competitive balance reasons. It's not fair for the smaller market teams.

Right.

But the point is that the small markets can’t even afford to keep their own guys because of the tax.

Only the biggest of the big have a chance to plow through that.

So it almost makes the imbalance even worse if a couple teams establish the precedent of ignoring the tax.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right.

But the point is that the small markets can’t even afford to keep their own guys because of the tax.

Only the biggest of the big have a chance to plow through that.

So it almost makes the imbalance even worse if a couple teams establish the precedent of ignoring the tax.

Then raise the cap to the current luxury tax level and make it a hard cap. These salaries are out of control. $50M+ for a season?

What is the point of the cap otherwise?

The Celtics were in the finals without being in the luxury tax.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then raise the cap to the current luxury tax level and make it a hard cap. These salaries are out of control. $50M+ for a season?

What is the point of the cap otherwise?

The Celtics were in the finals without being in the luxury tax.

That Has always been the problem though.

It isn’t that some guys make $50 million. Most of the players who get that are worth it.

The problem is that a third tier star costs 30-35.

And a quality bench guy costs 10.

It will never be a level playing field. But teams who can keep their home grown cores together should be rewarded somehow.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Some bullet points:

I didn't know until recently that they have early Bird rights for GP2. That's huge.