• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

KD, the Warriors, Joe Lacob, and money: the situation is evolving

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK so when KD first said I want out the speculation started where will he go, he said he wanted Phoenix or Miami, people said other teams like the Warriors or Pelicans could put together better packages, etc. The Ws big 3 signaled they'd be fine with it, and KD signaled the same. Meanwhile Joe Lacob was riding high on another ring and not giving any indication he'd stop spending.

My take was I doubted the Ws would get KD, that I'd prefer they rode with the young core, and that in the end KD wouldn't go anywhere.

But some things have happened since...

1. Phoenix is now out (with the Ayton signing), Miami doesn't want to part with what it would take to get him. KD doesn't want to go to NO and they wouldn't trade for him for that reason.

2. Joe Lacob went on a podcast last week and said that there is a limit and it would be hard to see them bringing back both Poole and Wiggins after this upcoming year, as they will likely cost like $60 mil/yr combined not including luxury tax.

So now I think the needle has moved to the Warriors being the leading contender if KD moves, which I still think in the end he won't. Here's why:

a. The Nets have started out asking for the moon (KAT and Edwards and 4 firsts, the Twolves laughed at them) because why not. No rush. And maybe that's their way of saying to KD hey we tried. So the Warriors, who don't need to make the move, can wait.

b. But let's say the price comes down. Let's say Brooklyn would take Wiggins, Poole, Wiseman, and 2 firsts and a pick swap or two. Now the Warriors might listen because:

1. Adding KD to the team basically makes them prohibitive favorites the next 2 years. Not quite the 2017 level all time great but clearly the best in the league.
2. Poole and Wiggins will cost far more than KD does...and Wiseman has to get paid in a couple years too. Trading for KD is a money saving move for the Warriors.
3. They would get to keep Kuminga and Moody so still have some youth coming up.

In the end I think KD stays in Brooklyn, but it now looks like the Ws could be in play for real. If the Nets ask for like Wiggins, Moody, Kuminga, and Wiseman, hell no. If it's Poole and Wiggins and one of the young 3, I could see the Ws thinking very hard about it.

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless Wiseman was somehow the centerpiece, the Warriors need to stick with their youth and not look to their past as a way to arrange their future.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless Wiseman was somehow the centerpiece, the Warriors need to stick with their youth and not look to their past as a way to arrange their future.
Did you read the post? I said a package of Poole Wiggins Wiseman and picks, if the Nets want it, saves the Warriors money and gets them KD and they still have youth in Kuminga and Moody.

If the Nets insist on two of the three young guys then no.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK so when KD first said I want out the speculation started where will he go, he said he wanted Phoenix or Miami, people said other teams like the Warriors or Pelicans could put together better packages, etc. The Ws big 3 signaled they'd be fine with it, and KD signaled the same. Meanwhile Joe Lacob was riding high on another ring and not giving any indication he'd stop spending.

My take was I doubted the Ws would get KD, that I'd prefer they rode with the young core, and that in the end KD wouldn't go anywhere.

1. Phoenix is now out (with the Ayton signing), Miami doesn't want to part with what it would take to get him. KD doesn't want to go to NO and they wouldn't trade for him for that reason.

2. Joe Lacob went on a podcast last week and said that there is a limit and it would be hard to see them bringing back both Poole and Wiggins after this upcoming year, as they will likely cost like $60 mil/yr combined not including luxury tax.

So now I think the needle has moved to the Warriors being the leading contender if KD moves, which I still think in the end he won't. Here's why:

a. The Nets have started out asking for the moon (KAT and Edwards and 4 firsts, the Twolves laughed at them) because why not. No rush. And maybe that's their way of saying to KD hey we tried. So the Warriors, who don't need to make the move, can wait.

b. But let's say the price comes down. Let's say Brooklyn would take Wiggins, Poole, Wiseman, and 2 firsts and a pick swap or two. Now the Warriors might listen because:

1. Adding KD to the team basically makes them prohibitive favorites the next 2 years. Not quite the 2017 level all time great but clearly the best in the league.
2. Poole and Wiggins will cost far more than KD does...and Wiseman has to get paid in a couple years too. Trading for KD is a money saving move for the Warriors.

In the end I think KD stays in Brooklyn, but it now looks like the Ws could be in play for real. If the Nets ask for like Wiggins, Moody, Kuminga, and Wiseman, hell no. If it's Poole and Wiggins and one of the young 3, I could see the Ws thinking very hard about it.
Then KD is defined as the guy that Curry Klay and Dray carried to his rings.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then KD is defined as the guy that Curry Klay and Dray carried to his rings.
Yeah that would actually be a thing, but if KD wants to go there (not sure he 'wants' to as much as would be meh) maybe he doesn't care. Dude just wants to play and win.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Poole and Wiggins both are seeking a contract over 100M

Wiseman showed nothing to suggest he should get rookie ext he is eligible for next year

It is a terrible deal and they can do better.

KD is worth much more than 3 role players and 2 end of round 1 draft picks

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you read the post? I said a package of Poole Wiggins Wiseman and picks, if the Nets want it, saves the Warriors money and gets them KD and they still have youth in Kuminga and Moody.

Why would they want to pay Wiggins and Poole $55M combined? Getting Wiseman as the centerpiece? Not really great to this point considering he is an unknown. Kuminga would have to be included to even further discuss imo

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would they want to pay Wiggins and Poole $55M combined? Getting Wiseman as the centerpiece? Not really great to this point considering he is an unknown. Kuminga would have to be included to even further discuss imo
I suspect you're right, yet another reason KD isn't going anywhere.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Poole and Wiggins both are seeking a contract over 100M

Wiseman showed nothing to suggest he should get rookie ext he is eligible for next year

It is a terrible deal and they can do better.

I agree.

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I just don’t “respect you” enough to read the post.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He'll more than likely remain in Brooklyn....

As far as returning to the Dubs.....nope....that ship has sailed.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To make this deal work for both teams, it is something like this:

Draymond, Kuminga, Wiseman, Poole + a ton of picks

You have to give up the future to get KD. No way around that.

But, IMO, to make it worthwhile, you also have to keep Wiggins.

Because Klay, Curry, Dray and KD with no depth is not the lock it was 6 years ago.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and that is the conundrum. Whoever the Nets trade to will have draft picks in the low 20s to low 30s. The Nets need to get solid young players or at least one young superstar. Watch for teams that can move a star and a couple of role players as well as picks and you'll find a partner.

The Celtics could give Jalen Brown, Al Horford and Grant William plus three or four first round picks. Total salaries are $59.5M

The Nets could give the Celtics Kevin Durant, TJ Warren and Cam Thomas. Total salaries are $57M

The Nets get two young stars and a veteran. The C's get one youngster in Thomas and a 28 year old in Warren. But the critical piece is Durant.

Half of this audience will outright reject anything to do with the Celtics and that's okay. My point is that not many teams want to spend that kind of money, give up future picks and players for a 36 old who could break down in game one.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and that is the conundrum. Whoever the Nets trade to will have draft picks in the low 20s to low 30s. The Nets need to get solid young players or at least one young superstar. Watch for teams that can move a star and a couple of role players as well as picks and you'll find a partner.

The Celtics could give Jalen Brown, Al Horford and Grant William plus three or four first round picks. Total salaries are $59.5M

The Nets could give the Celtics Kevin Durant, TJ Warren and Cam Thomas. Total salaries are $57M

The Nets get two young stars and a veteran. The C's get one youngster in Thomas and a 28 year old in Warren. But the critical piece is Durant.

Half of this audience will outright reject anything to do with the Celtics and that's okay. My point is that not many teams want to spend that kind of money, give up future picks and players for a 36 old who could break down in game one.
Warren just signed his deal so he can’t be dealt until a certain date in the league season. And when did Grant Williams become a star?

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This was basically what I have been saying

The warriors said there was a limit last year when they didn’t use the mle (I think I mentioned it back last summer)

This move makes all the sense in the world

You go all in for Steph

You reset your tax bill when they’re all cooked

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was basically what I have been saying

The warriors said there was a limit last year when they didn’t use the mle (I think I mentioned it back last summer)

This move makes all the sense in the world

You go all in for Steph

You reset your tax bill when they’re all cooked
Yes but as others pointed out upthread the Nets will ask for way too much, like they did with Minnesota, because in the end they don't want to deal KD. My comment was mostly about how getting KD actually saves the Ws a lot of money, and since they won't resign both Wiggins and Poole they wouldn't miss them. But the Nets would want at least 2 of the young guns and that's too steep.

KD will stay put, and the Ws will likely let Poole go elsewhere since he will want max money and starter minutes, and with good reason as someone will give it to him. Hopefully after another year Moody can be that 3rd guard, and they can bring in another backup PG next year like they did DiVincenzo this year.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes but as others pointed out upthread the Nets will ask for way too much, like they did with Minnesota, because in the end they don't want to deal KD. My comment was mostly about how getting KD actually saves the Ws a lot of money, and since they won't resign both Wiggins and Poole they wouldn't miss them. But the Nets would want at least 2 of the young guns and that's too steep.

KD will stay put, and the Ws will likely let Poole go elsewhere since he will want max money and starter minutes, and with good reason as someone will give it to him. Hopefully after another year Moody can be that 3rd guard, and they can bring in another backup PG next year like they did DiVincenzo this year.

If you could hang onto kuminga I’d still do it

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you could hang onto kuminga I’d still do it
I just don't see it.

I mean Wiggins and Poole are nice players but one was a 3rd option on a great team and the other was a role player then you get Wiseman. Not a great return. You aren't getting a star in that deal, a longshot young star in Wiseman but Kuminga is the most likely to be that guy. He needs to be included. Wiggins is a guy that is extremely useful when you have your pieces in place and you need that wing that can be a #3, perfect for GS. Not perfect for BKN. I see Poole as a 6th man on a playoff team, a Clarkson type. Volume shooter and scorer, doesn't do much of anything else.

Not to mention BKN would be paying those two $55M combined starting next year or close to it. Not ideal.