• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

All Purpose Trade Thread

MacJ88

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vermette was acquired by the Yotes for pretty much the same price as it cost us to get Moore. I would have much rather had Vermette. Just sayin...

23sharks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Oh and PHX acquired Antoine Vermette. I guess they aren't sellers so no more dreams of Whitney or Doan.

Anaheim is right back in the race too, so they aren't gonna move Selanne. Pickings are slim......

23sharks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Dougie's quotes are at the blog.

He's delusional and thinks the team has recently played "one or two bad games"... I am not quite sure which team he's been watching. :L

Yeah, if I was about to take over the lead in the division, I wouldn't be sellers either...

I also read something where he said he really likes this team once they have all their pieces together.
I'm guessing he's banking on Havlat coming back, but I'll believe that when I see it. That has been the biggest letdown for me this season. I thought Havlat would have a really good year....that's what I get for thinking!!!

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also read something where he said he really likes this team once they have all their pieces together.
I'm guessing he's banking on Havlat coming back, but I'll believe that when I see it. That has been the biggest letdown for me this season. I thought Havlat would have a really good year....that's what I get for thinking!!!

When he comes back he'll be like a late season pickup providing a boost to the top 6. I can't think of Havlat without thinking of how he injured himself.

MacJ88

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember we are talking about Doug Wilson, he did fuck up this team at the begining of the season. Plus he could do anything possible to save his job short term.

How so? Doug Wilson has made his fair share of stupid moves, but this offseason wasn't really one of them imhumbleo. Heatley hasn't been all that good (especially considering his minutes on the 1st line and PP) and Seto has been a bust. Havlat has been more than terrible, but Burns has been pretty good. Burns isn't worth his contract yet, but none of the 4 are. The draft picks may come back and hurt though. Of the 4 big players involved though, I expect Burns has the best chance of living up to his contract.

I guess you could say he should have targeted different players, but what could we really have gotten out there for Heatley, Setoguchi, Coyle and a 1st? It's not like Shea Weber is coming back. We may have been able to get Suter for Seto, Coyle and a 1st I suppose but that's purely speculation.

As for Havlat, I'm only going to judge him in the playoffs. Heatley had a decent season here but sucked donkey ass in the playoffs. Havlat's speed, defensive awareness (any at all is better than Dany) and overall style of play is much better suited for the playoffs. If he comes back energized and has an amazing run, I'd rather have him than the worthless Heatler.

Sad thing is, I think DWil was a much better GM when his hands were tied by ownership on spending.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
How so? Doug Wilson has made his fair share of stupid moves, but this offseason wasn't really one of them imhumbleo. Heatley hasn't been all that good (especially considering his minutes on the 1st line and PP) and Seto has been a bust. Havlat has been more than terrible, but Burns has been pretty good. Burns isn't worth his contract yet, but none of the 4 are. The draft picks may come back and hurt though.

I guess you could say he should have targeted different players, but what could we really have gotten out there for Heatley, Setoguchi, Coyle and a 1st? It's not like Shea Weber is coming back. We may have been able to get Suter for Seto, Coyle and a 1st I suppose but that's purely speculation.

I liked Setoguchi but he was one of the most overrated players by Sharks fans there's been in a while. Time will tell on Coyle but I think the off ice issues were a red flag to Wilson and made him expendable.

I expected more from Havlat as well but I also don't think we've seen him 100% healthy at any point this season. Even with Havlat's injuries this team is better off then it was with Heatley. That move was addition by subtraction and whatever the team gets from Havalt is a bonus.

bdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How so? Doug Wilson has made his fair share of stupid moves, but this offseason wasn't really one of them imhumbleo. Heatley hasn't been all that good (especially considering his minutes on the 1st line and PP) and Seto has been a bust. Havlat has been more than terrible, but Burns has been pretty good. Burns isn't worth his contract yet, but none of the 4 are. The draft picks may come back and hurt though. Of the 4 big players involved though, I expect Burns has the best chance of living up to his contract.

As for Havlat, I'm only going to judge him in the playoffs. Heatley had a decent season here but sucked donkey ass in the playoffs. Havlat's speed, defensive awareness (any at all is better than Dany) and overall style of play is much better suited for the playoffs. If he comes back energized and has an amazing run, I'd rather have him than the worthless Heatler.

Sad thing is, I think DWil was a much better GM when his hands were tied by ownership on spending.

How are we sure Havlat will even play in the playoffs? He's been injured all season, and by the time he comes back it'll take him a while to even warm up to this bi polar nightmare team.

My other question is how are you so sure the Sharks will make the playoffs? This team is about to hit the bubble pretty quick.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How are we sure Havlat will even play in the playoffs? He's been injured all season, and by the time he comes back it'll take him a while to even warm up to this bi polar nightmare team.

My other question is how are you so sure the Sharks will make the playoffs? This team is about to hit the bubble pretty quick.

I'm not, all I'm saying is that I'll only judge him on how he performs in the playoffs. That's where the Sharks need all the help they can get. The regular season is just a tired test they've always passed. If he doesn't play in the playoffs, it will be a huge failure.....just like Dany Heatley.

I just don't think there are 8 for sure better/more balanced teams than the Sharks in the WC. For all the flaws that the Sharks have, almost every other team save for the top 4 have them. The first 53 games are a much better indication than the last 5. Take your emotions out of it and the answer should be clearer. We're talking about being in the top 8 out of 15, not winning the Stanley Cup or even winning the division. Obviously injuries could change this, but it's just my gut feeling is all.

Last edited by a moderator:

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I felt Doug let this team down, once he never filled out the roster on the bottom 2 lines at the begining of the season. Doug always wants to give the younger players a chance to play, but for me I don't think it worked out as Wilson planned. Sure McGinn has raised his level of play and has been a bright spot on the lower lines, but TMac doesn't trust his players on the bottom lines to allow them to succeed.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liked Setoguchi but he was one of the most overrated players by Sharks fans there's been in a while. Time will tell on Coyle but I think the off ice issues were a red flag to Wilson and made him expendable.

I expected more from Havlat as well but I also don't think we've seen him 100% healthy at any point this season. Even with Havlat's injuries this team is better off then it was with Heatley. That move was addition by subtraction and whatever the team gets from Havalt is a bonus.

100% agreed pretty much with everything. I love Seto and I wish him well, but the guy was inconsistent as fuck. I hope he turns into a perennial all star though. You already know how I feel about Heatley as a hockey player, lol.

I felt Doug let this team down, once he never filled out the roster on the bottom 2 lines at the begining of the season. Doug always wants to give the younger players a chance to play, but for me I don't think it worked out as Wilson planned. Sure McGinn has raised his level of play and has been a bright spot on the lower lines, but TMac doesn't trust his players on the bottom lines to allow them to succeed.

Fair enough Chango, those are fair points. I was thinking you meant he ruined the team with the trades. The bottom 6 are underwhelming. I think you did just answer your own question as to why TMac doesn't have the trust though.

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
filo, you forgot letting go of Ian White and signing Colin White instead (for less money but he's like... 1/100th the player Ian White is).

F- grade on that one for sure.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
filo, you forgot letting go of Ian White and signing Colin White instead (for less money but he's like... 1/100th the player Ian White is).

F- grade on that one for sure.

I liked Ian White a lot. 1, just for his hockey skills, but 2 for his compete level (the guy blocks shots with his face!). That said, I think a lot of us fans like to look at things with hindsight 20/20 glasses. Who knows what White was asking for at the time of the Burns/Seto trade.....he signed with Detroit MUCH later than the trade to bring in Burns. Also, who knows if White would have signed with the Sharks for the same price as he would with the Wings (better chance at winning the cup, a chance to play with Lidstrom and a chance to pad his stats).

Colin White was NOT Ian White's replacement, it was Brent Burns. That would be a better apples to apples comparison. Ian White for his salary is better than Burns for his salary, but long term, Brent Burns will be the much better defenseman in my opinion. It's not really close either. But I've been dead wrong before.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm not, all I'm saying is that I'll only judge him on how he performs in the playoffs. That's where the Sharks need all the help they can get. The regular season is just a tired test they've always passed. If he doesn't play in the playoffs, it will be a huge failure.....just like Dany Heatley.

I just don't think there are 8 for sure better/more balanced teams than the Sharks in the WC. For all the flaws that the Sharks have, almost every other team save for the top 4 have them. The first 53 games are a much better indication than the last 5. Take your emotions out of it and the answer should be clearer. We're talking about being in the top 8 out of 15, not winning the Stanley Cup or even winning the division. Obviously injuries could change this, but it's just my gut feeling is all.

Havlat unlike heatley has had a pretty balanced playoff performance through out his career no huge spikes and no huge drop offs. Im not worried about his playoff game at all

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, I agree that C. White wasn't brought in to replace I. White, definitely! I didn't mean it that way, sorry.

Yes, we'll never know how much I. White would have signed for with the Sharks and if he would have given them the sweet discount he gave Detroit, but I wouldn't be surprised if Dougie never even gave him a call to ask (once he grabbed Burns and I. White was "no longer needed").

Also, didn't he (Ian) just have a baby during the playoffs last year? And his wife/family had been (at least temporarily) relocated to SJ, presumably?

Bigger hassle to move his family than to stand pat too, right?

I don't know... just speculating here and none of us know the details but I choose to believe he could have been kept, at a decent enough salary.

And every time I watch the Wings play, I'm reminded of how awesome he would have been... not OMFG-amazingly-flawless-second-coming-of-Jeebus, but just awesome for what he and his style of play is.

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5 days and counting down! :pray2:

Whatever happens I'm sure we will still complain about it.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I liked Ian White but he has moved alot in his career for a reason