• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Worst super bowl goal line call ever

Macho Grande

Would Sacrifice You In An Emergency
The Magumba Bar in Drambuie, off the Barbary Coast
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,889.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to mention, Wilson is no slouch running the ball either. But to throw it there??? Wow. So many things can go wrong by throwing it. The DB's have nothing to lose in that scenario. You know they're gonna take a chance and try to jump the route. Even if they get called for PI, it's only half the distance. Big whoop when it's only half a yard. Stupid. Carroll will relieve that one in his nightmares for a long time.

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forget worst goal line call, as I said in another thread, it's THE worst in SB history. Lynch got em to the goal line and if you can't give the ball to BEASTMODE for the game, in a way you sort of deserve to lose

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you are going to throw the ball, back shoulder/fade to the corner is the right call, like they did at the end of the half.

If you are going to throw a slant there, throw it low, where only your guy can catch it.

That was about the dumbest throw imaginable in that situation.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you are going to throw the ball, back shoulder/fade to the corner is the right call, like they did at the end of the half.

If you are going to throw a slant there, throw it low, where only your guy can catch it.

That was about the dumbest throw imaginable in that situation.

It's the fucking play call. You know who that would have been a good call for? Big Ben. He's huge, can stand up, and drill it right into the receivers gut on a downward trajectory. That play shouldn't even be in the Seahawks playbook and they've run it at least twice with the same fucking results over the last 2 seasons.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's the fucking play call. You know who that would have been a good call for? Big Ben. He's huge, can stand up, and drill it right into the receivers gut on a downward trajectory. That play shouldn't even be in the Seahawks playbook and they've run it at least twice with the same fucking results over the last 2 seasons.

Yeah, that's a good point, hadn't thought of it that way.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't understand how it is logical to say we had to throw the ball on 2nd down because we didn't like the matchup and only had 1 timeout when u just burned 30+ seconds after first down to keep brady off the field. u cant have it both ways. just awful. putting yourself in the best position to score should always be the number 1 priority

BHF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,037.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't understand how it is logical to say we had to throw the ball on 2nd down because we didn't like the matchup and only had 1 timeout when u just burned 30+ seconds after first down to keep brady off the field. u cant have it both ways. just awful. putting yourself in the best position to score should always be the number 1 priority

Because you can't say "My offensive coordinator is too clever dick for his own good and I hate overriding my coachess, even though I clearly should have here." on national television.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was an awful way to lose a SB. No doubt about that.

pitman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
stupid coaching at the end of the game. :L

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't read any of the posts but I listened to Carroll's explanation. It almost makes sense...ALMOST. The logic is sorta there. You've got 3 downs to kill clock and score from the 1. Generally that's a 2 run, 1 pass deal. But given the circumstance, it just makes more sense to forego all that football analytics and just run the damn ball with Lynch. Its the Super Bowl and you're trailing. Just get the damn lead with Beast Mode and trust your defense. They just straight up out-thunk themselves and paid dearly.

Also, even if you do follow the logic, its the worst possible pass play to call in that situation. Not only is it a pick that runs the risk of getting flagged for offensive pass interference (thus taking you off the 1), its also a pass in the middle of the field, a high traffic area. Anything can happen. Just fucking stupid.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't read any of the posts but I listened to Carroll's explanation. It almost makes sense...ALMOST. The logic is sorta there. You've got 3 downs to kill clock and score from the 1. Generally that's a 2 run, 1 pass deal. But given the circumstance, it just makes more sense to forego all that football analytics and just run the damn ball with Lynch. Its the Super Bowl and you're trailing. Just get the damn lead with Beast Mode and trust your defense. They just straight up out-thunk themselves and paid dearly.

Also, even if you do follow the logic, its the worst possible pass play to call in that situation. Not only is it a pick that runs the risk of getting flagged for offensive pass interference (thus taking you off the 1), its also a pass in the middle of the field, a high traffic area. Anything can happen. Just fucking stupid.

u cant run the clock down after first down to keep brady off the field and blame your play call on 2nd down because u only had 1 timeout. u have to put yourself in the best position to take the lead. pete fucked up royally

NDHoosier101

Reigning "Last to post" Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
forget the terrible play call for a second, and forget that it was a terrible conclusion to the play...

was that pass interference, it looked to me(and i could be totally wrong) that Malcolm Butler bumped into the receiver without giving the receiver a chance to make a play... was it simultaneous??

BUtler beat the WR to the spot, no way that was interference. The WR ran into him.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Totally agree if you believe that the run is stuffed roll out and let Wilson either throw or run. I think that they outthought themselves....felt like Philbin called that play. Man they let this one go. I'll give the pats credit for making that pick but the hawks let them have the opportunity to do it. Wow just wow.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
forget the terrible play call for a second, and forget that it was a terrible conclusion to the play...

was that pass interference, it looked to me(and i could be totally wrong) that Malcolm Butler bumped into the receiver without giving the receiver a chance to make a play... was it simultaneous??

He has a much right to the ball as the receiver as long as he doesn't go through the receiver to get to it, which he didn't, he can bump into him all he wants. He went for the ball.... got it too. Not even close to PI.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't it is any worse than 49ers call a few years ago, which I think was an alright play call. I think the pass wasn't a very good one, just like Kaep's to Davis.

Mondo Jay

Wine Mafia
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,690.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still cannot believe the call, the throw and the great defensive play...all at once.

A legacy changing play and outcome in multiple ways.

Ties5o11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Havent read the entire thread, but if the 9ers ran the ball with 1st and goal 2 years ago, there is a 99.8% chance they win that Super Bowl. At least the Seahawks called a play that would work about 2/3 of the time. That ball gets picked maybe 1 in 100 times.

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Devil's advocate: 2nd & Goal from the 1 with 1 time-out left. Seahawks snap the ball with 26 seconds left.
If you run first, don't make it, then call the last timeout, the other team now knows the next play is a pass. It has to be. If you pass first and miss, then the next play is still up in the air for the defense: it could be pass or run. It's not an all encompassing argument, but it's an argument.

Btw, if the Seahawks hadn't wasted a time out earlier in that same drive, they don't have to pass the ball on the goal line at all.

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2m2 minutes ago
#Patriots Run Defense = 32nd in #NFL on 3rd Down / 4th Down and 2 yrds or less..
This is the reason to throw on 2nd. One time out left. One of those last three plays had to be a pass. If you make that pass on 2nd, then the Defense doesn't know what's coming on 3rd.
If you run and miss on 2nd, then the Fefense knows for sure a pass is coming on 3rd.

Last edited by a moderator: