• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why the Eagles lost...it wasn't that call at the end

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the radio just heard no team has ever lost a Super Bowl scoring 35 or more points. In fact no team has ever lost a conference championship either when scoring that many. Teams were 39-0 in those games until last night.

KC and Mahomes carved up the Eagles defense, plain and simple. The team with 70 sacks in the regular season didn't sack Mahomes once, on one leg. Dudes were open all day.

Even if that penalty isn't called, KC is up by 3 with 90 seconds or so left. Obviously would have been fun seeing that final drive to tie or win, maybe go to OT. But the Eagles lost because their defense didn't get it done.

The Eagles players and coaches are saying the same thing, to their credit, being classy. The Eagles fans not so much apparently on the radio there, predictably.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the radio just heard no team has ever lost a Super Bowl scoring 35 or more points. In fact no team has ever lost a conference championship either when scoring that many. Teams were 39-0 in those games until last night.

KC and Mahomes carved up the Eagles defense, plain and simple. The team with 70 sacks in the regular season didn't sack Mahomes once, on one leg. Dudes were open all day.

Even if that penalty isn't called, KC is up by 3 with 90 seconds or so left. Obviously would have been fun seeing that final drive to tie or win, maybe go to OT. But the Eagles lost because their defense didn't get it done.

The Eagles players and coaches are saying the same thing, to their credit, being classy. The Eagles fans not so much apparently on the radio there, predictably.
Defense is hard on a slick surface. KC's defense going in was not held in high regard, so nobody noticed. As well as Mahomes is more likely to take advantage of it than Hurts. The biggest complaint Eagles should have about the SB is that field.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Defense is hard on a slick surface. KC's defense going in was not held in high regard, so nobody noticed. As well as Mahomes is more likely to take advantage of it than Hurts. The biggest complaint Eagles should have about the SB is that field.

All the players want grass, so....? Grass can move when you plant and push off. Field turf (or whatever they call it these days) doesn't. Traction vs injury. Of course, they could do without the excessive midfield logo paint and not trying a new type of grass during such an important game. That grass looked it was prepped to look good on TV, not to hold up to an actual game.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Im reading everything right, Chiefs converted 15 of 16 First Down plays into a first down or Touchdown in the 2nd half. Chiefs were so efficient that the FootballOutsiders model thought the Chiefs had a 98% chance of winning the game just based on how efficient they were.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All the players want grass, so....? Grass can move when you plant and push off. Field turf (or whatever they call it these days) doesn't. Traction vs injury. Of course, they could do without the excessive midfield logo paint and not trying a new type of grass during such an important game. That grass looked it was prepped to look good on TV, not to hold up to an actual game.
I agree. All the painted logos were an obvious issue right from the start. The league is so hell bent on how good things look in HD, they forget that what fans really want is the best play on the field. That field and several more around the league are not really up to snuff and it should be addressed. If drainage is the problem, then fix it. But don't host the marquis game of the year and the crown jewel of your organization on a steaming pile of shit like that field was last night. It's really unfortunate because that was a great game to watch other than that part of it.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with the OP, as does pretty much every Eagle fan I know. I have not heard anyone blame it on the call at the end. The call just kind of ended the game, and ruined the ending for everyone, but the game was lost due to a whole host of big and small things that happened in all 60 minutes just like most games.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hurts fumble for a touchdown was critical imo. I know it was early, but there was a chance to take absolute control with that possession.

Great game though for sure.

Would love to have a little of whatever it is they pumped into Pattie at halftime, in my medicine cabinet. Shit has to be even better than the magic spray they use in soccer.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Im reading everything right, Chiefs converted 15 of 16 First Down plays into a first down or Touchdown in the 2nd half. Chiefs were so efficient that the FootballOutsiders model thought the Chiefs had a 98% chance of winning the game just based on how efficient they were.
The Eagles defense had no answers at all in the 2nd half. But the Eagles ST had one of the biggest blunders of the night too. Reminded me a little of the Texans in the 2019 play-offs. It started going bad and just snowballed.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Eagles defense had no answers at all in the 2nd half. But the Eagles ST had one of the biggest blunders of the night too. Reminded me a little of the Texans in the 2019 play-offs. It started going bad and just snowballed.
Sam Monson on PFF said he was on the field watching the punt and it looked like the Eagles tried to do a trick punt coverage of sorts where they kicked it where the blockers werent to surprise the Chiefs. Once Toney cut back it flipped the coverage on its head.

Chiefs having an awful punt return unit in the regular season and then turning around with major punt returns in the AFCCG and the Super Bowl is pretty crazy, tbh.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with the OP, as does pretty much every Eagle fan I know. I have not heard anyone blame it on the call at the end. The call just kind of ended the game, and ruined the ending for everyone, but the game was lost due to a whole host of big and small things that happened in all 60 minutes just like most games.
Yeah, the fumble by Hurts was huge. Possible 10-14 point swing there the way the Eagles were moving the ball in the first half but that terrible punt that Toney returned to the 5 was a massive game changer, imo. Gotta give a shout out to the team though. They had that huge drive to tie the game but leaving Mahomes 5 minutes, it just seemed inevitable to me at that point.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sam Monson on PFF said he was on the field watching the punt and it looked like the Eagles tried to do a trick punt coverage of sorts where they kicked it where the blockers werent to surprise the Chiefs. Once Toney cut back it flipped the coverage on its head.

Chiefs having an awful punt return unit in the regular season and then turning around with major punt returns in the AFCCG and the Super Bowl is pretty crazy, tbh.
That could very well be but the punter had an absolutely horrible line drive kick too . That thing was ugly. Gotta give credit to Toney for the vision and making the most of his chance.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was the difference to me. KC played a mistake-free game; Philly made a huge mistake that cost 7
I think they made two huge mistakes.

But Nick Bolton got robbed of his second defensive touchdown and a Super Bowl MVP.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That could very well be but the punter had an absolutely horrible line drive kick too . That thing was ugly. Gotta give credit to Toney for the vision and making the most of his chance.
Yeah, it was a bad kick. Possibly in multiple ways.

Toney in general seems like someone I would never kick to in a big moment. Is he a reliable person to stay healthy? no. One person to return a punt in the NFL? Yeah, Id pick him.

Id imagine Giants fans got a good laugh out of that kick return

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes the punter sucks. Been sayng it all year and it's a shame, yet predictable, that he fucked up in the Super Bowl too.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The punter was playing for the first time in weeks. He had been injured and Philly had another punter, Brett Kern, for the earlier playoff games.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hurts fumble for a touchdown was critical imo. I know it was early, but there was a chance to take absolute control with that possession.

Great game though for sure.

Would love to have a little of whatever it is they pumped into Pattie at halftime, in my medicine cabinet. Shit has to be even better than the magic spray they use in soccer.
Eagles false start on 3rd and 1 sets it up. The next drive the Eagles get a 3rd and 1, convert, and go down and score 7. Could have just as easily been the last drive. Would have been 21-7 at that point. They had their chances, but got beat by a more disciplined team that's been in big games before.