• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Westbrook-for-Hayward in the works this summer?

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah....because he is just 24.

If he repeated this season? The cash would still be there. And who says he wants 10-12 mill to be on a team that wins 18-22 games?

A player at Monks level has to get his money when he can. He can worry about winning when he turns 30. Right now, it's about getting paid. Which it should be.

You say he can afford to defer getting paid because he's only 24. That's fine. But if he decides that he wants to stay in LA so bad that he is willing to wait and then suffers a major injury. Do you think the Lakers, or anyone else, will still be there with that big contract?

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The real issue here is to move Westbrook as soon as possible and if they get an equal salaried deal that includes Hayward, I'd say take it and go from there. If Monk leaves for the money, the Lakers don't have much to stand in his way, The point is the Lakers have to focus in on rebuilding this team from this nightmare season and get after it ASAP.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah....because he is just 24.

If he repeated this season? The cash would still be there. And who says he wants 10-12 mill to be on a team that wins 18-22 games?

The Lakers only won 30 games. And Monk indicated that he felt like some of the vets routinely blamed guys like him and Reaves for mistakes they were making.

If Monk did want to take less to play for a contender, (doubtful) why do you think he would choose the Lakers?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lakers can give him $6.4M next year, then a contract starting at $11M+ the following year.

Or, he could get a contract starting at $11 million or better this coming year. Making it up to him the following year, isn't a real thing. Once he gives up that $5 million, he never gets it back. It's not like the Lakers could cut an extra check somewhere down the road and say "Here's that $5 million we borrowed from you in 2022".

And potentially even worse, if he gets hurt, or doesn't play as well next year...he never gets it.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers only won 30 games. And Monk indicated that he felt like some of the vets routinely blamed guys like him and Reaves for mistakes they were making.

If Monk did want to take less to play for a contender, (doubtful) why do you think he would choose the Lakers?

Meh, I don't know as that I'd read too much into that. Older guys have been blaming shit on younger guys since the first Dad blamed a fart on his son. Veterans been doing that stuff forever. Everyone knows whose really at fault, but the youngsters are getting blamed anyway.

His main reason would be that there are other teams who would want him that don't have near as much work to do to be contenders as the Lakers have.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Monk is going to go for the money because he had such a rough season in a toxic environment with the Lakers. All that losing is just THE stimulus to take the cash which I am quite sure he will do and be done with the Lakers. The Lakers are expecting it and they won't and can't stand in his way.

The greater issue for the Lakers is to craft a plan to rebuild and who that is going involve. Moving Westbrook is top priority because of that albatross contract and Westbrooks disaster play all year long. As Stephen A put it: "An All-Star that couldn't find his jump shot and sure as hell wasn't going to play any defense including Vogel's". Next. Finding a HC that will fit if the Lakers indeed fire Vogel. After that, finding out what to do with James and finding the new pieces.

Going to be a busy summer that the Lakers will be engaged in and I doubt they will spend much time trying to convince Malik Monk he should stick around.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you just running it back with all the same players?

I certainly hope not for your sake.

And if you don’t, the circumstance changes in LA too.
Not his role most likely.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These guys just don’t get it. Like players are these magnanimous altruists who live for the greater glory of the Los Angeles Lakers?!?!?! He already bet on himself and he won. It’s like you won a 3-1 bet on the roulette wheel and you decide not to take the chips you won off the table. This is his best chance to go get that guaranteed money. He’s going to take the best money regardless of where he goes.
He's already been quoted as saying he would like to stay a Laker, but who knows how things will work out. Something to that effect.

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I'm MJ, there's no way I'm giving up on Rozier just one year after extending him.

By signing Bridges, I have to pay the tax regardless. That's just the reality he created for himself by extending Rozier, signing Hayward and Oubre, absorbing dead money in the Plumlee trade, as well as stretching Batum.

I see the deal being Westbrook for Hayward and Oubre straight up, with no picks involved. Otherwise the deal will fall apart...

Russ at his age is due for a sixth man role anyway. And if I'm the Lakers, I'm stacking my scoring depth in the event the aging stars get hurt again.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I'm MJ, there's no way I'm giving up on Rozier just one year after extending him.

By signing Bridges, I have to pay the tax regardless. That's just the reality he created for himself by extending Rozier, signing Hayward and Oubre, absorbing dead money in the Plumlee trade, as well as stretching Batum.

I see the deal being Westbrook for Hayward and Oubre straight up, with no picks involved. Otherwise the deal will fall apart...

Russ at his age is due for a sixth man role anyway. And if I'm the Lakers, I'm stacking my scoring depth in the event the aging stars get hurt again.

There’s no way you add 10m of deadweight salary for no compensation.

That would be 2011 Charlotte bad gming

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,296.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Word on CBS is that Michael Jordan may be looking to shed salary by absorbing Westbrook's expiring contract, due to the fact that Charlotte needs to pay Miles Bridges.

Gordon Hayward has two years left on his deal. Such a trade would likely send Hayward and a filler (Oubre or Plumlee) to the Lakers for Westbrook.

Thoughts?
As an expiring contract, Westbrook can bring something much better right before the trade deadline in Feb 23, and there would still be plenty of time to win games and be in the top 5. ,. But .that trade might be Better option than waiving and stretching Westbrook. If the Lakers had put Westbrook on the bench, 20 games ago, Westbrook would leave willingly now, and still will if they tell him that he will be coming off the bench next season.. He hates that

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you know how many times a player said he wants to stay with a team and end up leaving? Did you guys just start watching basketball this year?
Westbrook wants the 45 million period. He has to be smart enough to know no one would offer him that much again after his last few years.. He would play for the devil for that money..lol

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,296.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Westbrook wants the 45 million period. He has to be smart enough to know no one would offer him that much again after his last few years.. He would play for the devil for that money..lol
He was talking about Monk.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As an expiring contract, Westbrook can bring something much better right before the trade deadline in Feb 23, and there would still be plenty of time to win games and be in the top 5. ,. But .that trade might be Better option than waiving and stretching Westbrook. If the Lakers had put Westbrook on the bench, 20 games ago, Westbrook would leave willingly now, and still will if they tell him that he will be coming off the bench next season.. He hates that

No, he won’t.

As an expiring contract, his value would be to return a package a lot like this.

Longer term deals that the Westbrook acquiring team is tying to shed.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Because most of the teams with cap space were worse than the Lakers this year, and with health the Lakers are probably 15 games or more better next year?

Ultimately, none of us know Monk's preferences. He and his agent have stated they hope he can stay a Laker, both knowing the franchise's limitations on the salary they can offer him this summer. How much truth that holds we can only wait and see.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, he won’t.

As an expiring contract, his value would be to return a package a lot like this.

Longer term deals that the Westbrook acquiring team is tying to shed.
You don't get it,. In January a team like Indiana will be quick to take Westbrook, an expiring contract for Held and the other guy by trading those two, they can instantly sign free agents in 2023.. That's what Memphis did with Gasol, although they got the brother.. The Lakers , will admittedly have a tougher time without some first round draft picks

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't get it,. In January a team like Indiana will be quick to take Westbrook, an expiring contract for Held and the other guy by trading those two, they can instantly sign free agents in 2023.. That's what Memphis did with Gasol, although they got the brother.. The Lakers , will admittedly have a tougher time without some first round draft picks

That is hilarious.

Trust me.

You are the one who doesn’t get it. And that is exactly what I wrote.

Longer term contracts that other teams don’t want. That is what Hayward is.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is hilarious.

Trust me.

You are the one who doesn’t get it. And that is exactly what I wrote.

Longer term contracts that other teams don’t want. That is what Hayward is.
If the Lakers get Held and Hayward, that would still be better than Westbrook and Hayward might be slightly better than Westbrook who never did respect the coach