• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Westbrook-for-Hayward in the works this summer?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t disagree. My post was a nicer way of saying Lakers fans and their ideas of value are over the top and not steeped in reality. In many ways, you can say that about most fan bases but Laker fans take it next level. People are entertaining the idea of Monk taking another show me year and turning down guaranteed money when he just bit the bullet on one of those plays successfully. He’s gonna cash in but people are still thinking that he’s possibly coming back. Here’s the scoop. Westbrook is a bad deal that is expiring. He will have value as a dump at the trade deadline but only to a team that is looking to shed salary. That deal will bring back longer contracts with marginal players. At that point, the Lakers would likely rather see his money come off their books than to take on more years in other players.
There's going to be a lot of throwing crap at the wall until we have someone more concrete to work with. This whole Hornets thing is likely crap, since most are ignoring the fact that Jordan's GM is Mitch Kupchak, longtime Lakers GM fired in the Buss sibling changeover.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It'll be interesting for him. @DJ is right that, while he has earned himself a significant raise, the better teams aren't likely to have the cap space. But you are also right that he's young enough to go to a young, rebuilding team and be part of that.

On the other hand, if he stays for less (which could be significantly less) and the Lakers are able to make the right moves, he could be part of a contender.

The problem with that is that he would likely have to see wait to see what moves, if any, the Lakers are able to make...which could end up causing him to miss other opportunities.

If I'm him, unless the offers are from bad situations, I'm taking the cash.
He did bond with some of the roster, but also noted that he and Reaves were frequently scapegoated by the vets. Not sure where he his head would be at.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It'll be interesting for him. @DJ is right that, while he has earned himself a significant raise, the better teams aren't likely to have the cap space. But you are also right that he's young enough to go to a young, rebuilding team and be part of that.

On the other hand, if he stays for less (which could be significantly less) and the Lakers are able to make the right moves, he could be part of a contender.

The problem with that is that he would likely have to see wait to see what moves, if any, the Lakers are able to make...which could end up causing him to miss other opportunities.

He was supposed to be part of a contender this season and he isn’t even in the playin tournament. The conditions that created that aren’t changing.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not for Wall though. That's a waste.

It wouldn't be for Wall. Wall would basically be there as an expiring deal to preserve cap space for the following season. It would be for Wood who is averaging 18 points and 10 rebounds on 50% shooting and 39% from 3 on 5 attempts per game.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It wouldn't be for Wall. Wall would basically be there as an expiring deal to preserve cap space for the following season. It would be for Wood who is averaging 18 points and 10 rebounds on 50% shooting and 39% from 3 on 5 attempts per game.
...and I'm not buying that he's available in such a deal. He can be moved for real assets if they want to do so.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was supposed to be part of a contender this season and he isn’t even in the playin tournament. The conditions that created that aren’t changing.

Oh well, then I guess the Lakers should just give up and not try since you have decided there's nothing they can do.

Hey everyone...go on back to bed. funbags has solved the off-season.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh well, then I guess the Lakers should just give up and not try since you have decided there's nothing they can do.

Hey everyone...go on back to bed. funbags has solved the off-season.
Malik Monk isn’t the Laker fan though. Y’all are stuck. He’s not. He’d be foolish to stick around for less money just to not win anything. Why should Malik Monk trust that situation to get rectified?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...and I'm not buying that he's available in such a deal. He can be moved for real assets if they want to do so.

I'm not either. But at some point during the season, the rumor was that it was an offer that was floated out there. I don't think that was ever confirmed though.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Malik Monk isn’t the Laker fan though. Y’all are stuck. He’s not. He’d be foolish to stick around for less money just to not win anything. Why should Malik Monk trust that situation to get rectified?

Pretty sure that everyone here, except maybe DJ, has said they don't expect Monk to re-sign. So you're trying to argue against something no one is claiming will happen.

About the only way I could see him coming back to the Lakers would be if he gets "Dennis Schroeder'd" and doesn't get the offers he's expecting. But Monk played significantly better than Schroeder did, so that seems pretty unlikely.

In short, the Lakers should try to figure out a way to keep him, but not hold their breath waiting for him to sign.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty sure that everyone here, except maybe DJ, has said they don't expect Monk to re-sign. So you're trying to argue against something no one is claiming will happen.

About the only way I could see him coming back to the Lakers would be if he gets "Dennis Schroeder'd" and doesn't get the offers he's expecting. But Monk played significantly better than Schroeder did, so that seems pretty unlikely.

In short, the Lakers should try to figure out a way to keep him, but not hold their breath waiting for him to sign.
Yeah. I took the most outlandish example (A DJ scenario) and imparted it on the whole group. We have one DJ but extrapolated the Laker national fan base is littered with DJs. It’s part of being a big fanbase. The crazy is palpable.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. I took the most outlandish example (A DJ scenario) and imparted it on the whole group. We have one DJ but extrapolated the Laker national fan base is littered with DJs. It’s part of being a big fanbase. The crazy is palpable.

lol

Awhile back, I started posting in a Lakers group on Facebook. I think I lasted 3 days before I couldn't take it anymore. Trust me when I say that DJ doesn't come close to them. DJ can get a tad overzealous, but he can at least be reasoned with. I got called a Celtics fan plant because I pushed back on a couple of ridiculous trade ideas that the reason given for why they would happen was "it's the Lakers". Wish I was joking.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,296.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Depends where his head is at....if he wants cash or a chance to be on a better team.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,296.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like you saying Embiid is the MVP.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The reason Charlotte would make a move like this is clear.

1 year of Westbrook clears their books of longer term contracts they don’t want.

I don’t think they should do a deal like this, but that is the reason.

It would also virtually guarantee they keep the draft pick they owe atl for another year

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,296.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

All the bad teams are the ones with cash avail.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends where his head is at....if he wants cash or a chance to be on a good team.

The problem is that the biggest raise he can get from the Lakers would be about $3 million. He could be looking at a $10 million raise. That extra $7 million is a lot to turn down.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did RtK take over Djs account? Why stop with these fantasies, you should trade Westbrook in a 3 team deal for Booker and Jokic.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,296.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did RtK take over Djs account? Why stop with these fantasies, you should trade Westbrook in a 3 team deal for Booker and Jokic.
Me?

CBS is reporting this trade scenario.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,296.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never say stupid shit like that.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too often, these trade scenarios are brought up by someone with little else to do. With the Lakers out of the playoffs, the scribes in LA are doing the "Wishin' and Hopin'" routine.

Few teams in the NBA are going to put themselves in a bad situation just to help out another team. Acquiring Westbrook is a bad move for any team. He can't play worth a shit any more and more interested in himself than anything else. Why would anyone want to assume his attitude for a year and threaten their own team?

Bill Belichick has a reputation of taking on bad guys and turning them around. Problem is that everyone ignores the ones he gets and has to cut after one year. Westbrook has too much tenure and past reputation for anyone to change.
The only thing that the Lakers should want from Westbrook is good bye...but they need players like they had when they won the last title..