• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Westbrook-for-Hayward in the works this summer?

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Already a bad fit. It can get better but there is a ceiling and it isn’t high

Yeah, despite the high hopes everyone had, I think we saw enough to know that this ultimately wasn't going to work. If they run it back just changing out some of the 1 year deal guys, get the bench completely right and everyone stays healthy...you could make a case that they could contend. But that would require everything going 100% right...which isn't happening.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, despite the high hopes everyone had, I think we saw enough to know that this ultimately wasn't going to work. If they run it back just changing out some of the 1 year deal guys, get the bench completely right and everyone stays healthy...you could make a case that they could contend. But that would require everything going 100% right...which isn't happening.
Plus, it's not like that would make them anywhere close to favorites. Even with 100% luck on injuries and stuff.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair, Lebron the GM has always had one thing those other GM's don't....Lebron the player.

This is the first time Lebron the player hasn't been enough to cover for Lebron the GM.

Exactly. Lebron isn’t a good gm

He has the player to bail him out

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is just Jordan being impossibly cheap

I believe Charlotte is the only team to never pay the tax

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is just Jordan being impossibly cheap

I believe Charlotte is the only team to never pay the tax
Pretty on brand for MJ

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plus, it's not like that would make them anywhere close to favorites. Even with 100% luck on injuries and stuff.

If they do decide to run it back and save the cap space for the following season, I'm good with it.

But I prefer taking a shot at something that could make you a contender, even if it ultimately fails. If they can upgrade the bench as well, this could do that.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True.

I think that if I'm the Lakers, I'm doing it and crossing my fingers. lol

I'm just not confident that MJ won't come to his senses. I'm also not sure this is anything more than speculation.

It would definitely be a risk, but at least it's a risk with a guy who would actually fit with Lebron.
You have to remember who Jordan's GM is....and he isn't likely to help the Lakers.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they do decide to run it back and save the cap space for the following season, I'm good with it.

But I prefer taking a shot at something that could make you a contender, even if it ultimately fails. If they can upgrade the bench as well, this could do that.

really hard to toss away another year with Bron.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said in the season thread when Marc Stein had the story a couple of days ago, its a plausible deal that works for both side IF Charlotte things they hit their ceiling and want to use Westbrook's expiring to clear a large chunk of space to build around Ball and Bridges. It makes zero sense basketball wise for next season because Westbrook + Ball is just as bad as Westbrook + Lakers, but if you're gonna be a 9 seed anyway, it's something worth considering. Especially if you can convince the Lakers to toss in at least one of the 1st rounders they have available to trade (27 or 29)

As for the Lakers, any deal where you can get 2 to 3 players back for Westbrook is a win. He's an atrocious fit. Even with Hayward being injury prone, it'd still be an upgrade. And if by some miracle Hayward can stay healthy, him and Rozier with Bron and AD is a pretty solid group.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Word on CBS is that Michael Jordan may be looking to shed salary by absorbing Westbrook's expiring contract, due to the fact that Charlotte needs to pay Miles Bridges.

Gordon Hayward has two years left on his deal. Such a trade would likely send Hayward and a filler (Oubre or Plumlee) to the Lakers for Westbrook.

Thoughts?
Anything would have to be an improvement... Latest article stated this week that Westbrook never did respect the head coach.. Vogel...

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Run it back next season and then have cap space after next season.

Dude.

Running it back next season is not an option.

You would completely waste your last season with LeBron.

And judging by how Anthony Davis is going, cap space around him as a number 1 is probably not getting you all that far either.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too often, these trade scenarios are brought up by someone with little else to do. With the Lakers out of the playoffs, the scribes in LA are doing the "Wishin' and Hopin'" routine.

Few teams in the NBA are going to put themselves in a bad situation just to help out another team. Acquiring Westbrook is a bad move for any team. He can't play worth a shit any more and more interested in himself than anything else. Why would anyone want to assume his attitude for a year and threaten their own team?

Bill Belichick has a reputation of taking on bad guys and turning them around. Problem is that everyone ignores the ones he gets and has to cut after one year. Westbrook has too much tenure and past reputation for anyone to change.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too often, these trade scenarios are brought up by someone with little else to do. With the Lakers out of the playoffs, the scribes in LA are doing the "Wishin' and Hopin'" routine.

Few teams in the NBA are going to put themselves in a bad situation just to help out another team. Acquiring Westbrook is a bad move for any team. He can't play worth a shit any more and more interested in himself than anything else. Why would anyone want to assume his attitude for a year and threaten their own team?

Bill Belichick has a reputation of taking on bad guys and turning them around. Problem is that everyone ignores the ones he gets and has to cut after one year. Westbrook has too much tenure and past reputation for anyone to change.

The reason Charlotte would make a move like this is clear.

1 year of Westbrook clears their books of longer term contracts they don’t want.

I don’t think they should do a deal like this, but that is the reason.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,371.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude.

And judging by how Anthony Davis is going, cap space around him as a number 1 is probably not getting you all that far either.
If they want to trade him.....revisit the Rockets trade of Wall and Wood for him.

But, the Hornets trade means the Lakers could have James, AD and GH in street clothes for at least 20 or more games. That isn't good at all.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,371.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude.

And it isn't wasting a season either.

The Lakers were 11-10 with James, AD and RW. If they had played 36-38 games they would have made the playin. Would have won more games than they did and more time to build chemistry together.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The reason Charlotte would make a move like this is clear.

1 year of Westbrook clears their books of longer term contracts they don’t want.

I don’t think they should do a deal like this, but that is the reason.
Westbrook is not just an expiring deal though. He has a track record of destroying team chemistry. If you are trading for him or better be to be paying him to stay home.