• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Westbrook-for-Hayward in the works this summer?

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because you still have to try. They would basically be tanking with Westbrook and hoping to land a star in the draft, then use the cap space to add better role players.
I guess it's not unheard of for franchises to be stupid. We can agree that bringing in Westbrook even for a season quells the growth of the piece they just acquired (Halliburton) right?

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FA isn't the only way to get players.

Stockpile draft picks and trade for a player or 2. Like the Thunder when they traded for PG.

If they trade Hield and Brogdon SU for RW they just punted two opportunities to add draft picks.

You're correct on Brogdon though forgot he signed an extension

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because you still have to try. They would basically be tanking with Westbrook and hoping to land a star in the draft, then use the cap space to add better role players.

But that's what my argument has been. Unless you sit Russ completely he can get enough wins to not completely suck. That's becoming more of a distant memory but probably more likely than not still

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,821.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they trade Hield and Brogdon SU for RW they just punted two opportunities to add draft picks.

You're correct on Brogdon though forgot he signed an extension
They will have their own draft picks plus the picks they get for trading Hield and Brogdon.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 15,821.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But that's what my argument has been. Unless you sit Russ completely he can get enough wins to not completely suck. That's becoming more of a distant memory but probably more likely than not still
The Pacers are still gonna suck.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This plan only works if they can convince Russ to be John Wall and just go away for a season.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess it's not unheard of for franchises to be stupid. We can agree that bringing in Westbrook even for a season quells the growth of the piece they just acquired (Halliburton) right?

The theory behind the trade is to build around Halliburton with another high draft pick and cap space. It's what teams that top FA's don't go to, do to build. They take bad/expiring contracts that will result in few wins and create cap space.

It's basically what the Cavs were doing until they got Mobley. Now they have a real nice young team and it looks like they have their star. This off-season, they'll likely start looking at moves to support that young group and getting them into contention. It takes time, but it's the best way to do it. The Cavs are looking like the poster child for it. They're doing a really nice job.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Plus, Turner will be dealt most likely.

That pick is awful man.

Seriously Rob Pelinka needs his head examined if he continues to trade draft picks while mortgaging the future to build around an aging Lebron and often injured AD.

I understand the Lakers will always be a free agent destination but gonna be a hard sell in about 3 years at this rate.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The theory behind the trade is to build around Halliburton with another high draft pick and cap space. It's what teams that top FA's don't go to, do to build. They take bad/expiring contracts that will result in few wins and create cap space.

It's basically what the Cavs were doing until they got Mobley. Now they have a real nice young team and it looks like they have their star. This off-season, they'll likely start looking at moves to support that young group and getting them into contention. It takes time, but it's the best way to do it. The Cavs are looking like the poster child for it. They're doing a really nice job.
The Cavs never made a trade like what you're talking about. They re-upped their own guy in Kevin Love.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would expect that the Lakers would have to throw in a pick or 2. I can't imagine Indy would be dumb enough to do that trade without that. I would just hope the Lakers aren't dumb enough to reject it because of picks.

Reactions: DJ

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 15,821.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That pick is awful man.

Seriously Rob Pelinka needs his head examined if he continues to trade draft picks while mortgaging the future to build around an aging Lebron and often injured AD.

I understand the Lakers will always be a free agent destination but gonna be a hard sell in about 3 years at this rate.
How is it awful?

They very well could be rebuilding by then. Most likely will be.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think he can add much to their win total. At least not enough to make much of a difference. One thing that was clear this season is Russ can't really finish like he used to.

Plus, they can sit him "strategically". If they start to win too much, they can sit him for few games with "knee soreness".

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would expect that the Lakers would have to throw in a pick or 2. I can't imagine Indy would be dumb enough to do that trade without that. I would just hope the Lakers aren't dumb enough to reject it because of picks.
Wouldn’t it make more sense for Indiana to ship Hield Brogdan and Turner in separate deals? And in each bring a draft asset(s) and an expiring contract? That would be more like the Cavs rebuild you referenced.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cavs never made a trade like what you're talking about. They re-upped their own guy in Kevin Love.

Which is essentially the same thing. The point is to get the cap space available at the right time. If you don't have a contract to do that with, you trade for one.

It's the same reason it wouldn't break my heart if the Lakers ended up just keeping Westbrook next year. They would have over $90 million coming off the books just from Westbrook and Lebron.

Reactions: DJ

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 15,821.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which is essentially the same thing. The point is to get the cap space available at the right time. If you don't have a contract to do that with, you trade for one.

It's the same reason it wouldn't break my heart if the Lakers ended up just keeping Westbrook next year. They would have over $90 million coming off the books just from Westbrook and Lebron.
Ideally, he just declines his player option.

LOL.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldn’t it make more sense for Indiana to ship Hield Brogdan and Turner in separate deals? And in each bring a draft asset(s) and an expiring contract? That would be more like the Cavs rebuild you referenced.

Probably. That's why, while it's fun to discuss them, I really don't put too much stock in these early rumors. If we get into the real off-season and trades like this are still being discussed, or if Woj or Shams starts talking about it, then I'll start to take them a little more seriously.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ideally, he just declines his player option.

LOL.

If he turns down $47 million, I'll drive out to LA and smack him myself. lol

Besides, he's married and probably would like to stay in his own house.